All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: September 2, 2018, 7:51 pm
LP Raider wrote:How can we not have cash for TPJ, Boyd left not because we didn't have money but because the Raiders weren't prepared to pay what he was asking.

His position hasn't been filled unless I'm missing someone, there's also Paulo.
The club just used the “not playing overs” excuse to cover up that they over estimated what the cap was going to be 2019 and it was very much welcome when other clubs came knocking for them. They were never serious with their offers to those players

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
It was widely reported that the Raiders overestimated the 2018 cap by 300k, they got under the cap with the moves like Edrick Lee and Kurt Baptiste.

If we can't afford sign TPJ it has exactly ZERO to do with the 2018 cap situation. And EVERYTHING to do with the fact the club, under Stuart, Mulholland and Furner are paying a lot of average/good players like they're rep players, and a lot of below average players like they're good starters
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Pigman wrote:
LP Raider wrote:How can we not have cash for TPJ, Boyd left not because we didn't have money but because the Raiders weren't prepared to pay what he was asking.

The club just used the “not playing overs” excuse to cover up that they over estimated what the cap was going to be 2019 and it was very much welcome when other clubs came knocking for them. They were never serious with their offers to those players

It was widely reported that the Raiders overestimated the 2018 cap by 300k, they got under the cap with the moves like Edrick Lee and Kurt Baptiste.

If we can't afford sign TPJ it has exactly ZERO to do with the 2018 cap situation. And EVERYTHING to do with the fact the club, under Stuart, Mulholland and Furner are paying a lot of average/good players like they're rep players, and a lot of below average players like they're good starters
They over cooked it for 2019 as well. They thought they had $9.9m cap limit but it came in at $9.4. If Austin took the $700k we would have been in a world of pain

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

LastRaider wrote: September 2, 2018, 9:38 pm
Pigman wrote:

They over cooked it for 2019 as well. They thought they had $9.9m cap limit but it came in at $9.4. If Austin took the $700k we would have been in a world of pain

The cap money would have hurt too
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Johno wrote: September 2, 2018, 11:48 pm
LastRaider wrote: September 2, 2018, 9:38 pm
Pigman wrote:

The cap money would have hurt too
:roflmao
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LastRaider wrote: September 2, 2018, 7:52 pm
Matt wrote:
julian87 wrote: September 2, 2018, 1:35 pm
BJ wrote: September 1, 2018, 5:35 pm Considering Lui was probably paid around $180k this season, I’d say he was good value.

My guess is he is probably on about $320k (plus or minus) for the next three years.

You need to sign a Lui to be able to afford a Papalli in your pack.
You don’t need a Lui, you need a player of his ilk on next to no money. If we’ve upgraded him that’s exactly why our cap is screwed.

If a baseline player requires an upgraded contract you move them on and find someone to do the job on lower money.
Generally yes, but at the same time, anything 300K or less is fine for those fringe 17 players. Of which Lui should be.
I disagree Matt, you keep cycling them through the system. Move them on and bring in another player looking for a start on minimum wage or close too

Yep, this.

We shouldn’t be surprised I guess considering releasing our bench hooker freed up cap space.

I reckon I’d literally cry if I saw the contracts Canberra players are on.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

julian87 wrote: September 3, 2018, 11:44 am
LastRaider wrote: September 2, 2018, 7:52 pm
Matt wrote:
julian87 wrote: September 2, 2018, 1:35 pm
BJ wrote: September 1, 2018, 5:35 pm Considering Lui was probably paid around $180k this season, I’d say he was good value.

My guess is he is probably on about $320k (plus or minus) for the next three years.

You need to sign a Lui to be able to afford a Papalli in your pack.
You don’t need a Lui, you need a player of his ilk on next to no money. If we’ve upgraded him that’s exactly why our cap is screwed.

If a baseline player requires an upgraded contract you move them on and find someone to do the job on lower money.
Generally yes, but at the same time, anything 300K or less is fine for those fringe 17 players. Of which Lui should be.

I disagree Matt, you keep cycling them through the system. Move them on and bring in another player looking for a start on minimum wage or close too

Yep, this.

We shouldn’t be surprised I guess considering releasing our bench hooker freed up cap space.

I reckon I’d literally cry if I saw the contracts Canberra players are on.
I think Knight could do the role Lui SHOULD be filling on half the money.

Lui is a guy who tries hard, makes solid meters, and has limited errors.

He is no world beater, but has looked much better than reality this year due to our 'premier' props this year playing so poorly.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

It's going to absolutely suck next season when our ex 'premier' props play better against us than they ever did for us, just to prove a point.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Supershamrock wrote: September 3, 2018, 5:39 pm It's going to absolutely suck next season when our ex 'premier' props play better against us than they ever did for us, just to prove a point.
Neither seem like the point proving type to me.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Boyd is back before long.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The NRL is looking at having all offers to players lodged, so if a player accepts a ridiculously low offer over a better one they will need a clear reason. The same thing they ignored for Milford when we raised it.

Unfortunately the reasons also include "living near the beach".

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/keepin ... 501f8.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is well known clubs have recruited players with the offer of a new home for a family member. Why has this sort of thing not investigated by the NRL? Why does the NRL not make clear this sort of thing is not permitted?

The idea that "living by the beach" is an acceptable reason to accept a much, much lower offer... well that shows how ridiculous the NRL is.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Supershamrock wrote: September 3, 2018, 5:39 pm It's going to absolutely suck next season when our ex 'premier' props play better against us than they ever did for us, just to prove a point.
That's a stupid thought because if they proved the point they were worth it while asking for it they would still be in a raiders jersey
raider 4 life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nemesis wrote: September 3, 2018, 6:53 pm
That's a stupid thought because if they proved the point they were worth it while asking for it they would still be in a raiders jersey
But we know, sure as eggs, it is going to happen. Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo were passengers this season, Boyd has been a passenger for two seasons. And they'll no doubt get a "new lease of life" elsewhere. This is man managment and coaching that is at fault, as well as the fault of the players.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:It is well known clubs have recruited players with the offer of a new home for a family member. Why has this sort of thing not investigated by the NRL? Why does the NRL not make clear this sort of thing is not permitted?

The idea that "living by the beach" is an acceptable reason to accept a much, much lower offer... well that shows how ridiculous the NRL is.
Yeah I don’t get it. Don’t players have a value range depending on experience, rep games etc?

I seem to remember this was an excuse used to deny Parra signing Folau. What they were offering was lower than what he was valued at. But someone can take a pay cut because they want to be close to the beach?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: September 3, 2018, 5:56 pm
Neither seem like the point proving type to me.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Boyd is back before long.
Of all the former Raiders playing in the NRL next year he'd be the most likely to return IMO.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2018, 6:59 pm
nemesis wrote: September 3, 2018, 6:53 pm
But we know, sure as eggs, it is going to happen. Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo were passengers this season, Boyd has been a passenger for two seasons. And they'll no doubt get a "new lease of life" elsewhere. This is man managment and coaching that is at fault, as well as the fault of the players.
More weight management imo
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2018, 6:30 pm The idea that "living by the beach" is an acceptable reason to accept a much, much lower offer... well that shows how ridiculous the NRL is.
It's actually not, look at the population in the country and how it's dispersed. Lifestyle matters. Particularly to young, carefree athletes who are b-c grade celebrities.
You dont have to like it, but it's a major factor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL should not accept it as a reason if they're to be a professional, unbiased sports administration. Would the NFL accept this sort of rubbish? No. Get back in your box on this one!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You want to force players to go where they don't want to?

That'll go well when you have a team of Craig Frawleys
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Tom Brady's been the best QB in the league for a decade and has played on WELL below market deals the entire time. Fair to say they dont give the faintest **** about this, what a player and club agree to in terms of contractual arrangements it non of their business.

So perhaps it you and your box who need to be reacquainted. People like living near the beach and are frequently willing to work for less to do so. That's life.
Last edited by Botman on September 3, 2018, 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:32 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2018, 6:30 pm The idea that "living by the beach" is an acceptable reason to accept a much, much lower offer... well that shows how ridiculous the NRL is.
It's actually not, look at the population in the country and how it's dispersed. Lifestyle matters. Particularly to young, carefree athletes who are b-c grade celebrities.
Fair enough, but if the NRL gets to the point that it's writing it down in policy then its time to move away from a flat cap.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:44 pm
Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 8:32 pm
Fair enough, but if the NRL is at the point that it's writing it down in policy then its time to move away from a flat cap.
Yep, agreed. If they're finally conceding that location is a factor, and they actually mean it when they say they want parity, the entire salary cap system probably needs to be burnt to the ground and a new system installed

id argue given the fact every other year some team is busted for abuse of the current system is reason enough to burn it down and start again, but that's me
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I think Canberra should build a glass dome over itself to keep its climate under control, and dredge that dirty ass lake and turn it into a pristine Blue watered wave pool with rich white sands.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You simply CANNOT accept... "I'd rather live by the beach" to accept that a say, $500k difference between deals is acceptable.

If they do... they need to start again... and give the Raiders a $500k loading, a $1m loading so as to attract players away from the beach! It's ridiculous to think otherwise!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now Pigman, get back in your box!
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Pigman wrote:Tom Brady's been the best QB in the league for a decade and has played on WELL below market deals the entire time. Fair to say they dont give the faintest **** about this, what a player and club agree to in terms of contractual arrangements it non of their business.

So perhaps it you and your box who need to be reacquainted. People like living near the beach and are frequently willing to work for less to do so. That's life.
I agree with this but thats going to the extreme. Tom Brady would never need to count the dollars he earns on and off the field.....and that not even counting the income from his wife.

I agree the lifestyle factor too....and up to $100k I can even see it.....but to take unders @ $150k.....$200k or even more.....thats shady as *****. You just know that the diff will be made up for somehow someway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Don was very proud to announce to the fans that he was spending the entire salary cap on a team which finished 10 last year and 10th this year. Some players combined with same head coach produced the same place on the competition ladder. Whodathunkit.

Don if you are determined to simply spend the entire cap then you will inevitably over pay mediocrity. Even the Sharks have publicly announced they will be $500k under the cap this year and they are comfortably in the Top 4. All hunger to perform evaporates when players know the clubs cap has maxed out. Some will begin to dial it in. Thankfully some of those players won't be with the Raiders next year.

Keep them hungry to perform Don.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah poor Tom Brady only earning 20 million a year for the past 15 - 20 years?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Gee the NRL has problems the Dogs vs Dragons in yesterday’s last game of the season had a crowd of just over 12,000. Now this is one of the main code in Australia but on Sunday there were, 15,500 people crammed into North Sydney Oval on Saturday for the Shute Shield final between Sydney University and the Warringah Rats.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: September 4, 2018, 1:24 am Gee the NRL has problems the Dogs vs Dragons in yesterday’s last game of the season had a crowd of just over 12,000. Now this is one of the main code in Australia but on Sunday there were, 15,500 people crammed into North Sydney Oval on Saturday for the Shute Shield final between Sydney University and the Warringah Rats.
There were over 10,000 at central coast stadium to watch Bolt trial against a team made of players from the central coast amateur league.

Bloody good night it was too!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote: September 4, 2018, 5:05 am
InFernos_Raiders wrote: September 4, 2018, 1:24 am Gee the NRL has problems the Dogs vs Dragons in yesterday’s last game of the season had a crowd of just over 12,000. Now this is one of the main code in Australia but on Sunday there were, 15,500 people crammed into North Sydney Oval on Saturday for the Shute Shield final between Sydney University and the Warringah Rats.
There were over 10,000 at central coast stadium to watch Bolt trial against a team made of players from the central coast amateur league.

#penaltybroncos #salarysombrero #refereesmith
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2018, 9:21 pm You simply CANNOT accept... "I'd rather live by the beach" to accept that a say, $500k difference between deals is acceptable.

If they do... they need to start again... and give the Raiders a $500k loading, a $1m loading so as to attract players away from the beach! It's ridiculous to think otherwise!
Would depend on personal circumstances... but plenty of people take less money in their careers to live in areas which are considered better... my wife could go and work in Dubbo and earn a ton more money than she does... but we dont want to live in Dubbo and make a plenty good living here in Canberra.

Why would players be any different?
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

gergreg wrote: September 4, 2018, 6:52 am
Coastalraider wrote: September 4, 2018, 5:05 am

#penaltybroncos #salarysombrero #refereesmith
geez the NRL are dumb. Reduce the ticket prices. That last Warriors game was pay what you feel and it sold out.
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Pigman wrote: September 4, 2018, 7:48 am
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2018, 9:21 pm You simply CANNOT accept... "I'd rather live by the beach" to accept that a say, $500k difference between deals is acceptable.

Would depend on personal circumstances... but plenty of people take less money in their careers to live in areas which are considered better... my wife could go and work in Dubbo and earn a ton more money than she does... but we dont want to live in Dubbo and make a plenty good living here in Canberra.

Why would players be any different?
Plenty of people I know living on the sunny Coast for less $ to have a great lifestyle
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

UncleDrew wrote: September 4, 2018, 9:32 am Mole linking us to Ryan Matterson this morning... thoughts?
Very good player. But given our squad he’d have to be signed as a big stop gap five-eighth.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.