All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by zim »

He was rubbish earlier in the year but after being dropped has really turned it around. It's a good buy for them as a 4th prop.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Matt wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
zim wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:53 pm
Matt wrote: August 13, 2018, 2:48 pm Sounds like Elgey is off to Manly next yr.
Was confirmed earlier today:
https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2018/ ... ea-eagles/
Id only seen the Zero Tackle post, but cool, thanks.
wonder where L Croker's next deal will be if he can land one
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

So the dogs can sign players that are decent even with a salary cap that is in total turmoil yet we can sign two random poms and thats it!?? Great.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

chris83 wrote: August 13, 2018, 3:58 pm So the dogs can sign players that are decent even with a salary cap that is in total turmoil yet we can sign two random poms and thats it!?? Great.
John Bateman is a far better player, for a longer time than Sue has been good. The dogs have done well with what they have.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:
chris83 wrote: August 13, 2018, 3:58 pm So the dogs can sign players that are decent even with a salary cap that is in total turmoil yet we can sign two random poms and thats it!?? Great.
John Bateman is a far better player, for a longer time than Sue has been good. The dogs have done well with what they have.
I've come around to j Bateman, he's at least a 12 test rep

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I'd take J Bateman over Sue, but Sue over Sutton.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: August 13, 2018, 4:07 pm
zim wrote:
I've come around to j Bateman, he's at least a 12 test rep
:lol:
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

But how much did pom bateman cost?
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

chris83 wrote: August 13, 2018, 4:17 pm But how much did pom bateman cost?
No idea. Be safe to assume it's more than Sue considering he's a got a much better record as a player.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

chris83 wrote:But how much did pom bateman cost?
Our dignity, judging by his contract conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Captain Punish wrote: August 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

is there a dignity cap? coz I think Raiders have blown that too

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Sid wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: August 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

is there a dignity cap? coz I think Raiders have blown that to0
Yup there sure is...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I found a moon rock in my nose....
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

chris83 wrote:So the dogs can sign players that are decent even with a salary cap that is in total turmoil yet we can sign two random poms and thats it!?? Great.
Yep, the Raiders cap position was probably on par with the Bulldogs. Austin, Paulo and Boyd leaving was a blessing for Raiders management

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I tell you what if I was any player coming to the Raiders now who signed a deal longer than 2 years I would be putting a performance term into the contract like they do in formula one racing. A get out clause where if the team doesn’t make the top 8 they can get an early release

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Timbo wrote: August 13, 2018, 10:41 am With all the rumours floating around that George Williams is headed to the Knights, or that they're going to switch Ponga to five-eighth to play Nick Meaney at fullback next year, I'd really like to hope we're sounding out Connor Watson.

If the Knights want to move him on to accomodate Williams or Meaney in FG we may be able to get him cheaply. He'd be an enormous upgrade on Willams and a fairly handy partner for Sezer.
Nobody rates Williams as a half, but it's worth me pointing out that he has more forced line dropouts, the same number of try assists and has the same tackle efficiency as Nathan Cleary this season. Williams has played one less game.

Cleary has a slightly better running game than Williams and does more kicking (not surprising with Sezer and Hodgo in our team), but on the whole the stats are pretty similar.

Williams cops a ridiculously bad wrap on this forum. It's quite odd.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:00 pm
Timbo wrote: August 13, 2018, 10:41 am With all the rumours floating around that George Williams is headed to the Knights, or that they're going to switch Ponga to five-eighth to play Nick Meaney at fullback next year, I'd really like to hope we're sounding out Connor Watson.

If the Knights want to move him on to accomodate Williams or Meaney in FG we may be able to get him cheaply. He'd be an enormous upgrade on Willams and a fairly handy partner for Sezer.
Nobody rates Williams as a half, but it's worth me pointing out that he has more forced line dropouts, the same number of try assists and has the same tackle efficiency as Nathan Cleary this season. Williams has played one less game.

Cleary has a slightly better running game than Williams and does more kicking (not surprising with Sezer and Hodgo in our team), but on the whole the stats are pretty similar.

:thumbsup
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cleary doesn't disappear out the back door when the game is on the line
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sam Williams sucks (as does Blake Austin and Aiden Sezer). Nathan Cleary is really, really good.
Numbers be damned, trust your eyes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I love Sammy, but it is probably because Nathan Cleary is stepping up in clutch situations and winning games.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think Sammy is very good with the footy but his career path to date has gone the way it has for a reason.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I just struggle with Sammy’s long kicking game, play making ability and defence. Just isn’t quite a first grade half. Seams like a great guy though

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:06 pm Cleary doesn't disappear out the back door when the game is on the line
Bull he doesn't.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:06 pm Sam Williams sucks (as does Blake Austin and Aiden Sezer). Nathan Cleary is really, really good.
Numbers be damned, trust your eyes.
I know what I see and I've watched enough footy to know that Williams is nowhere near as bad as what the herd says about him on this forum.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You want to sit here and tell me Sam Williams is on par with Nathan Cleary... i would respectfully, because i like you Seif, say you need to watch some more football

We havent had a half as good as Cleary since TC led the cops on a high speed chase.
If it's 13/08/18 and answer to your question is Sam Williams (or Blake Austin, or Aiden Sezer), you're asking the wrong damn question.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:11 pm I think Sammy is very good with the footy but his career path to date has gone the way it has for a reason.
**** coaching?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Never forget, Sam Williams left this club signed for the Dragons (as former raiders are want to do), was odds on favourite to be their halfback, and got his **** pushed in by a 32 year old Michael Witt in pre-season, lost his job and left for the ESL. Where he stayed until we came knocking.

We dont have the answer in the halves on our roster right now. Not Sam Williams, SURE as **** not Blake **** Austin and not Aiden Sezer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:20 pm
edwahu wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:11 pm I think Sammy is very good with the footy but his career path to date has gone the way it has for a reason.
**** coaching?
Yeah, that could be why he hasnt really addressed his shortcomings and kicked on.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:19 pm You want to sit here and tell me Sam Williams is on par with Nathan Cleary... i would respectfully, because i like you Seif, say you need to watch some more football

We havent had a half as good as Cleary since TC led the cops on a high speed chase.
If it's 13/08/18 and answer to your question is Sam Williams (or Blake Austin, or Aiden Sezer), you're asking the wrong damn question.
I'm not saying Williams is on par with Cleary 69, my point is that he's nowhere near as bad as what people like to make out.

Cleary is a top shelf half and I'd have him in a heartbeat, but I refuse to believe Williams is one of the biggest problems for Stuart to fix. The guy can play at a high enough level, alongside Hodgo and Sezer, for this team to be successful.

It's effort and consistency from our front row and our discipline and attitude in defence which needs to be resolved. We can score enough points with this halves combo. We just need to learn how to stop leaking them like a sieve.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:24 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:20 pm
**** coaching?
Yeah, that could be why he hasnt really addressed his shortcomings and kicked on.
His defence has improved markedly over the years, despite being targeted by the opposition. He has also improved his ability to stay involved in every game.

It's just not fair or true to say his game hasn't improved over time.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: August 13, 2018, 9:24 pm Never forget, Sam Williams left this club signed for the Dragons (as former raiders are want to do), was odds on favourite to be their halfback, and got his **** pushed in by a 32 year old Michael Witt in pre-season, lost his job and left for the ESL. Where he stayed until we came knocking.

We dont have the answer in the halves on our roster right now. Not Sam Williams, SURE as **** not Blake **** Austin and not Aiden Sezer
Austin has been nothing short of a disgrace this season. It's sad to see, but this team will be immeasurably better without him, in both attack and defence.

I'd say I'd never seen such a fall from grace, but in all honesty it's on par with Bronson Harrison. It's quite unbelievable.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 13, 2018, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I agree with S82. Williams isnt the problem with the team, nor is he as bad as some make out. He isnt a top shelf half, might not even be middle of the road, but far from the worst running around. He isnt in Clearys class though, not even close.

Sammy has arguably been better/ more consistent than either of his halves partners this yr. I think his D has been better this yr too.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, I would agree he is fine with the footy and has stepped up a bit more. His main issue was with the ball was a lack of ownership and it has improved this year to an extent, even with a way to go.

I still have big concerns about his defense, with Austin gone I expect he will be targeted more heavily and that having Austin as such a consistent target has masked it a little this year. When he has been tested he has still been found wanting quite a bit and physically there isnt much he can do. Bateman may help stop him getting isolated though.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sam Williams has some good attacking skills. But he continues to make bad reads in defence, run out in defence or inexplicably slide on the try line and miss key tackles.

Every opposition coach knows this. It doesn’t take stats to know who to target in the defensive line.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Hear, hear.

Sammy would be cheap, so he's a great squad member. I absolutely prefer Sammy over Connor Watson when it comes to the cap. Watson has done absolutely nothing in first grade. So overrated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Canterbury are deadset signing base money players with the lure of permanent first grade spots. Sue is perhaps an exception to that but he’s hardly be expensive.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.