Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: July 9, 2018, 1:01 pm
RedRaider wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: July 7, 2018, 9:20 am
Raiders666 wrote: July 7, 2018, 7:21 am Amazing how much depth the Panthers have...both back up halves are guns and how good is Hetherington. Surely they can't keep them all.
Hetherington and Luai both off contract too

Kiwi, I would rather go after these 2 as a package than dump a motza in the Corey Norman, going nowhere, train. Particularly Luai. We lose a speedy halves player because he doesn't want to be here and pick up a young bloke with similar skills and far more upside.

Luai has one more year left to run on his contract at Penrith. He was interviewed on triple m on Sat and interestingly said something along the lines of I have one more year left at Penrith. It would suggest he knows he has to move on to get a chance.

Penrith have been very good at firstly developing juniors but secondly allowing them to move on if a first grade contract is offered elsewhere.
Gus has said 'Hands off'.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:28 pm
RedRaider wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: July 7, 2018, 7:21 am Amazing how much depth the Panthers have...both back up halves are guns and how good is Hetherington. Surely they can't keep them all.

Kiwi, I would rather go after these 2 as a package than dump a motza in the Corey Norman, going nowhere, train. Particularly Luai. We lose a speedy halves player because he doesn't want to be here and pick up a young bloke with similar skills and far more upside.

Luai has one more year left to run on his contract at Penrith. He was interviewed on triple m on Sat and interestingly said something along the lines of I have one more year left at Penrith. It would suggest he knows he has to move on to get a chance.

Penrith have been very good at firstly developing juniors but secondly allowing them to move on if a first grade contract is offered elsewhere.
Gus also said Cartwright would stay at the club to work through his problems, and Moylan has no issues with the coach.

Gus says whatever is appropriate at the time, with little relevance to fact.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

^^^
Yes CR, but he is the top dog too. So, it usually has a meaning or slant to it.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2018, 3:11 pm ^^^
Yes CR, but he is the top dog too. So, it usually has a meaning or slant to it.
I agree, its actually quite fascinating trying to figure out the agenda behind his comments.
summitone77
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by summitone77 »

Beejay wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:10 am That Penrith Half Luai is the most goddamn perfect target for us. Take a punt on a talented youngster giving him slightly more than his market to get him here - which is still a cheap get on the cap. Attacking player with a good short kick and running game.
I am a Penrith local so I am on their fan pages a bit too, and they are still not convinced about Luai themselves. They have a bigger wrap on May. Luai stepped up on the weekend, but he has not played anywhere near that in the ISP apparently. Carved it up in the under 20s, but hasn't quite reached those heights in NSW Cup yet. Definite raw talent is there though.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

summitone77 wrote:
Beejay wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:10 am That Penrith Half Luai is the most goddamn perfect target for us. Take a punt on a talented youngster giving him slightly more than his market to get him here - which is still a cheap get on the cap. Attacking player with a good short kick and running game.
I am a Penrith local so I am on their fan pages a bit too, and they are still not convinced about Luai themselves. They have a bigger wrap on May. Luai stepped up on the weekend, but he has not played anywhere near that in the ISP apparently. Carved it up in the under 20s, but hasn't quite reached those heights in NSW Cup yet. Definite raw talent is there though.
And we have the perfect coach to turn him into a super.... no... wait... hes a half you say??? Never mind

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Can we have a coach signing speculation thread?
Hows our defence coach going?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

summitone77 wrote: July 9, 2018, 3:44 pm
I agree Beejay, I think a young player with some Josh Hodgson on field direction, would have a faster track to development. He sure has the natural talent. The Raiders need another halves player for next season and at this point of his career he is not going to break the bank. He is also a more, like for like, player in that he is a quick running half and would be replacing a similar type player.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The club need to make a call on kids like this

Sit down, look at guys like May, Laui and whoever else is waiting for a FG spot, decide who they feel is the best bet and make the godfather offer. 500k right now to kids like that is WAAAAY overs, but that's the type of gamble we've got to seriously take.

Getting rid of Austin isn't even half the job of fixing the halves. We need to get someone who is an upgrade to replace him and we either need to fix Sezer or replace him too.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Beejay wrote:That Penrith Half Luai is the most goddamn perfect target for us. Take a punt on a talented youngster giving him slightly more than his market to get him here - which is still a cheap get on the cap. Attacking player with a good short kick and running game.
He'd fold like a cheap suit under the pressure of weekly NRL expectations and pressure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I hear they rate ohagan and westcott quite highly, not having seen much of either what are they like?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman wrote:The club need to make a call on kids like this

Sit down, look at guys like May, Laui and whoever else is waiting for a FG spot, decide who they feel is the best bet and make the godfather offer. 500k right now to kids like that is WAAAAY overs, but that's the type of gamble we've got to seriously take.

Getting rid of Austin isn't even half the job of fixing the halves. We need to get someone who is an upgrade to replace him and we either need to fix Sezer or replace him too.
I think it's called "Ponga'ing"

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VictorTheViking wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:05 pm I hear they rate ohagan and westcott quite highly, not having seen much of either what are they like?

My understanding is the club rates O'Hagan too... not heard on Westcott, but he's looked good in the Canberra Raiders Cup games I've watched. I'm impressed by both of them. Both are good organisers.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Coastalraider wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:42 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Gus also said Cartwright would stay at the club to work through his problems, and Moylan has no issues with the coach.

Gus is clearly doing things better at Penrith than we are in Canberra.
They've blooded a bunch of great young players and the work that team does in the community is huge.

Penrith is currently towelling Canberra in all facets - so whilst he may say what's appropriate. He's tried, He's tested - and he's come through. Check your stats.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:05 pm
Beejay wrote:That Penrith Half Luai is the most goddamn perfect target for us. Take a punt on a talented youngster giving him slightly more than his market to get him here - which is still a cheap get on the cap. Attacking player with a good short kick and running game.
He'd fold like a cheap suit under the pressure of weekly NRL expectations and pressure.

Strange thing to say unless you've got some intimate knowledge of the kid and his mental make up
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

VictorTheViking wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:05 pm I hear they rate ohagan and westcott quite highly, not having seen much of either what are they like?

Yeah ive heard that too... i guess i fall into the group of people who thinks you should have as many eggs in the basket as you can. If we signed Laui or May for 500k and ended up having an overpriced back up playing for Mounties in 3 years because O'Hagan is a stud... well that'd be a good situation for us
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Lots of talented players have come into first grade and had a couple of good games, or a decent first year. Bit of a lottery to those that really kick on. Doubt you’d have picked Cronk’s ceiling at 18.
Got to take a punt.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Love4Noa wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
RedRaider wrote:

They've blooded a bunch of great young players and the work that team does in the community is huge.

Penrith is currently towelling Canberra in all facets - so whilst he may say what's appropriate. He's tried, He's tested - and he's come through. Check your stats.
I dont disagree with any of that Noa, my comment was aimed at admiring the way he moulds the commentary to suit his objectives. He has a fantastic footy brain, has developed easily the best pathways system in the sport, and is starting to reap the rewards for that.

Whilst he regularly annoys me as a commentator, I either agree with him fully in his opinions, or understand why he is taking a particular stance to benefit his team.

I dream of the day we have a GM like him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I didn’t want to post again. But can’t help myself on this topic.

I think it would be a huge mistake entering the halves market without an obvious target. We’d be better off with a hole in the cap hoping something opens up. If it doesn’t you go stop gap for. Year you’re not winning anything with Jacks ****.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Love4Noa wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Penrith has the largest junior stable in Australia (I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We've also basically given up investing in juniors, and have started trying to poach
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sadly.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:07 pm I didn’t want to post again. But can’t help myself on this topic.

I think it would be a huge mistake entering the halves market without an obvious target. We’d be better off with a hole in the cap hoping something opens up. If it doesn’t you go stop gap for. Year you’re not winning anything with Jacks ****.
Probably give you an unprovoked uppercut while you're sitting on the throne minding your own business.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think we are already in the business of 'providing opportunity' (some say poaching) of other Clubs promising juniors. Wasn't O'Hagan originally from Newcastle area like Tevita Pangai jnr? Corey Horsburgh (spelling) was from Nth Qld. In the case of Luai there is a halves player, which is an area we need to strengthen, who has similar skills to a player we are losing.

Dubs, no one knows how each individual will react under pressure until - they are put under pressure. Other than Papa the club seems to be offering 2 year deals. I would look at something the same for Luai with the usual options for extensions. He is already used to playing against men in that he plays in the same division as Mounties. He has gone into FG and had a cracker of a game. He would be looking for FG opportunity and we can offer that. He knows he is parked behind a successful State of Origin halfback so his chances of progression at Penrith are limited.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I imagine Luai will want to see what Nathan Cleary is doing before he looks elsewhere. If Cleary leaves the Panthers, there’s an opportunity for Luai

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

RedRaider wrote:I think we are already in the business of 'providing opportunity' (some say poaching) of other Clubs promising juniors. Wasn't O'Hagan originally from Newcastle area like Tevita Pangai jnr? Corey Horsburgh (spelling) was from Nth Qld. In the case of Luai there is a halves player, which is an area we need to strengthen, who has similar skills to a player we are losing.

Dubs, no one knows how each individual will react under pressure until - they are put under pressure. Other than Papa the club seems to be offering 2 year deals. I would look at something the same for Luai with the usual options for extensions. He is already used to playing against men in that he plays in the same division as Mounties. He has gone into FG and had a cracker of a game. He would be looking for FG opportunity and we can offer that. He knows he is parked behind a successful State of Origin halfback so his chances of progression at Penrith are limited.
O’Hagan is a Central Coast Junior. He was in the Knights system until the end of 2016. Went back to his local team (Berkeley Vale) and played a season of local 1st grade/A Grade. He was seen by the raiders playing in the U 23 country championships

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I agree with Pigman. And the player we need to offer the 'overs' money to is Tyrone May. Unless we already know he is not interested in joining the Raiders it is absolutely extraordinary that we aren't making a play for him. I know some Penrith locals who felt he was a better prospect than Cleary coming through the junior grades. Even if that is proven incorrect it shows the regard he is held in.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: July 9, 2018, 10:29 pm We've also basically given up investing in juniors, and have started trying to poach
NRL have no interest in jrs.
We held onto that pathway as long as we could.
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

Mole saying Baptiste to return to Raiders next year.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Sydney_Raider wrote:Mole saying Baptiste to return to Raiders next year.
Good super sub but has to be on at cheap price.

How soon IS now?
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Wiki Special wrote: July 10, 2018, 7:20 am I agree with Pigman. And the player we need to offer the 'overs' money to is Tyrone May. Unless we already know he is not interested in joining the Raiders it is absolutely extraordinary that we aren't making a play for him. I know some Penrith locals who felt he was a better prospect than Cleary coming through the junior grades. Even if that is proven incorrect it shows the regard he is held in.
May would be my #1 target also. I think Kotoni Staggs is another young kid with a big future.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

NRL360 said Tapau is being shopped around... can we get in on that?

How soon IS now?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

El_Capitano wrote: July 10, 2018, 11:31 am NRL360 said Tapau is being shopped around... can we get in on that?

Pretty certain he is way out of our price range...We will only get squad fillers until 2020
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by RTW »

BigPapa wrote:
Wiki Special wrote: July 10, 2018, 7:20 am I agree with Pigman. And the player we need to offer the 'overs' money to is Tyrone May. Unless we already know he is not interested in joining the Raiders it is absolutely extraordinary that we aren't making a play for him. I know some Penrith locals who felt he was a better prospect than Cleary coming through the junior grades. Even if that is proven incorrect it shows the regard he is held in.
May would be my #1 target also. I think Kotoni Staggs is another young kid with a big future.
I’m a big fan of Stagg’s it Broncos have him locked up long term and are showing him that he has a path into the NRL so I can’t see him leaving. Especially to us who have pretty set starting centres and second rowers.
Last edited by RTW on July 10, 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We really should be trying to move players on to get Tapau.