Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Lucy »

Cranky Old Man wrote:I think the Wighton to purgatory, Cotric to wherever we perceive a problem meme is proper to this thread, it explains why some posters nominate the teams they do each week. It is background to the speculation and is of interest, at least to me.

Cotric to fullback / centre / wherever is a regular topic of speculation, mostly depending on who is perceived to have had an off day last. To my mind it is madness. Cotric is in the elite class of wingers already, with improvement still to come. He is a good average finisher, a very crowded field these days, but he is an exceptional "bullocker" of the ball out of defence, probably in the best half dozen or so in the NRL (alongside Rapana ) partly due to having the perfect physique for that role but primarily due to attributes like attitude, desire, mental and physical toughness, etc. Moving him elsewhere means we drastically reduce that output and we don't have his like available to replace him. Leave him where he is currently best suited, wing, and leave fullback to Jack Wighton, to this stage of the season close to the best backs player we have had. Dropping him (or , indeed anybody ) on previous seasons form is lunacy.
Then Jack Wighton has had 2190 off days of football.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

Sounds like Bateman (John) is a good chance on joining the team, would be a great signing

http://www.5thtackle.com/2018/04/john-b ... rl-switch/
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Velda wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:27 pm Sounds like Bateman (John) is a good chance on joining the team, would be a great signing

Jen has been mentioned a lot in the last couple of years - I'm just not sure what we do with him? We already have 2 international back towers, buying a third would be poor cap management. If we get him as a mobile lock, and shift Papa to the front toe, maybe I can see a point in it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

back towers, front toe ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

Papa (if he stays) to replace Paulo up the front, good Bateman to replace rubbish Bateman at lock
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders have already denied interest... just last week.
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

The Raiders have said a lot...
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:38 pm
Velda wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:27 pm Sounds like Bateman (John) is a good chance on joining the team, would be a great signing

Jen has been mentioned a lot in the last couple of years - I'm just not sure what we do with him? We already have 2 international back towers, buying a third would be poor cap management. If we get him as a mobile lock, and shift Papa to the front toe, maybe I can see a point in it.
Papa to prop, Whitehead back to Lock, J Bateman to edge back rower?

8. papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. J Bateman
12. Tapine
13. Whitehead
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:40 pm back towers, front toe ??
Note to self - proof read before pressing submit.
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

That works
kiwi raider wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:57 pm
Coastalraider wrote: May 1, 2018, 7:38 pm

Papa to prop, Whitehead back to Lock, J Bateman to edge back rower?

8. papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. J Bateman
12. Tapine
13. Whitehead
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I like the fact that Ryan Sutton doesn’t like Fifita...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I really do not rate Bateman at all. Plus he's too lightweight to be a forward here.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sossman wrote: May 1, 2018, 3:22 pm Jack Wighton is fine and probably value for money considering the $$$ we'd have to spend to get a rep level fullback here.

Lets not forget that Doogs was ours then **** on us. Tedesco was almost ours then **** on us and Darius Boyd is a massive ****.

Not many upgrades on wighton out there to be fair.

He's fine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I dont have a strong take on Wighton. I think if we could upgrade him, either internally via Cotric, or externally, we should explore those options. He's not good enough to just be plug and play and his spot unquestioned. Also this assault case looms large, it could be a long term suspension from the NRL, or a long stint at the AMC Angels if convicted

He's not developed in the role the way we'd have hoped and the way he was trending in 2016... but this post i think underestimates what he's paid. I would bet significant money Wighton is on a REAL big bit of coin, and one of our top 3-5 earners. We're not getting value for money on him.
Last edited by Botman on May 1, 2018, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

El_Capitano wrote: May 1, 2018, 8:08 pm I like the fact that Ryan Sutton doesn’t like Fifita...

Does anyone like Fifita???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Toodles moving back to Sydney.
WorkChoice
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

LP Raider wrote:Toodles moving back to Sydney.
Cowboys are not happy either.

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He has very legitimate family issues. Not much he can do.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Maybe Ricky can play him at hooker? Havili in the 14?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That john Bateman thing is feeling like that Jordan Turner thing. If he does come there's not a spot for him in first grade.

I don't want to move Whitehead or Tapine. They're so important to our edge defence and you want that quality out there for 80 if they can handle it (Tapine looks like he could do with a small break at the moment.)

Then you've got Murchie developing really well in ISP as the backup.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Sossman wrote: May 1, 2018, 8:39 pm
LP Raider wrote:Toodles moving back to Sydney.
Cowboys are not happy either.

Manly must be.
WorkChoice
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I’m sick of signing blokes like Turner and Garvey.

We shouldn’t be bringing players in to occupy the 18-30 slots on the roster. That should be happening organically through Mounties and Flegg.

Anyone we bring in should be demanding a spot in the 17.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Speaking of Turner what’s the real story on what happened?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

You'll see some of that this year. We tried to hold onto a squad and it didn't work out.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

sprintman wrote: May 1, 2018, 9:44 pm Speaking of Turner what’s the real story on what happened?
He was rubbish.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

zim wrote: May 1, 2018, 9:09 pm That john Bateman thing is feeling like that Jordan Turner thing. If he does come there's not a spot for him in first grade.

I don't want to move Whitehead or Tapine. They're so important to our edge defence and you want that quality out there for 80 if they can handle it (Tapine looks like he could do with a small break at the moment.)

John Bateman is probably the best player in Super League (assuming he's in the pack and not at centre - thanks Wayne Bennett) and certainly better than Whitehead, but he doesn't have enough go forward to play on the edge - he needs to be in the middle. Predominantly, he would shore up the defence in the middle.

It's not where Canberra is weakest though (Havalii could play there when Hodgson is back, spelled with Sia), so you shouldn't overpay for him.

Jordan Turner was always average. Average in SL and average in the NRL (or the ressies!).

I don't know where Bateman will end up. Newcastle have been trying to sign him since he was 15 and Wigan are reputedly losing Sam Tomkins to Catalans and are likely to offer Bateman the marquee player position and a huge salary.

Anyway, if you really want to splash out, look at Jack Walker at Leeds. He's only 18 and may well make Billy Slater the second best full back of the 21st century.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

MrPosh wrote: May 2, 2018, 5:43 am
zim wrote: May 1, 2018, 9:09 pm That john Bateman thing is feeling like that Jordan Turner thing. If he does come there's not a spot for him in first grade.

John Bateman is probably the best player in Super League (assuming he's in the pack and not at centre - thanks Wayne Bennett) and certainly better than Whitehead, but he doesn't have enough go forward to play on the edge - he needs to be in the middle. Predominantly, he would shore up the defence in the middle.

It's not where Canberra is weakest though (Havalii could play there when Hodgson is back, spelled with Sia), so you shouldn't overpay for him.

Jordan Turner was always average. Average in SL and average in the NRL (or the ressies!).

I don't know where Bateman will end up. Newcastle have been trying to sign him since he was 15 and Wigan are reputedly losing Sam Tomkins to Catalans and are likely to offer Bateman the marquee player position and a huge salary.

Anyway, if you really want to splash out, look at Jack Walker at Leeds. He's only 18 and may well make Billy Slater the second best full back of the 21st century.
I quite like J Bateman but this doesn't make much sense to me, doesn't have have enough go forward to play on an edge? I would have thought That would have made him more suited to the edge rather than the middle? These days most locks are a third prop
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I don't think the Turner, J Bateman comparison is fair
Jordan Turner was a Journeyman that had never been a star or ever represented England,
John Bateman at 24 years old, has over 150 games in the superleague and has 12 test caps for England,
I think comparing him to signing Whitehead would be more accurrate
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

If j bateman is half as good as elliot I'd be interested. Elliot is an absolute stud
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

MrPosh wrote:

Now I’m all in on Walker without seeing a single game!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

He looks very Ponga like. Would be a good prospect for someone.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Walker - Just do it!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

MrPosh wrote: May 2, 2018, 5:43 am

Until he's racked up a good season in the NRL that comparison is just silly. Granted he's not a "next billy slater level fullback" or a former "man of steel", but being good in the ESL doesn't automatically translate to being "certainly better" than one of the better 2nd rowers in the NRL.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

How do we get the Walker kid and how soon can we make it happen?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

kiwi raider wrote: May 2, 2018, 6:54 am

I don't think the Turner, J Bateman comparison is fair
Jordan Turner was a Journeyman that had never been a star or ever represented England,
John Bateman at 24 years old, has over 150 games in the superleague and has 12 test caps for England,
I think comparing him to signing Whitehead would be more accurrate
I'm comparing the squad situation not how good the players are. In both cases the person being signed is coming to an already filled position.
Bateman is a 2nd rower. We already have 2 fantastic 2nd rowers. Jordan Turner was a utility/play maker. We already had our play makers and utilities set when we signed him.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I’d be hesitant about signing an 18 year old English prodigy.

I think the best English players are the ones who come out here in their mid-20s. They’ve played a bit of footy, are looking for a challenge and are consummate professionals.

With a teenager, you’re risking homesickness, or them treating it like rumspringa.

I mean, I obviously wouldn’t say no to that talent, I’m just saying it’s a huge risk.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.