Raiders player signing speculation 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: April 19, 2018, 7:58 pm What about Jared Warea-Hargreaves as a Jnr replacement? He is 30 next year so if he could get motivated again he could still have a lot of good footy in him.
I dont watch a lot of Roosters.

Is he unmotivated ?

I like him as a prop...real hard nut..we need that.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: April 19, 2018, 8:02 pm
edwahu wrote: April 19, 2018, 7:58 pm What about Jared Warea-Hargreaves as a Jnr replacement? He is 30 next year so if he could get motivated again he could still have a lot of good footy in him.
I dont watch a lot of Roosters.

Is he unmotivated ?

I like him as a prop...real hard nut..we need that.
He is playing pretty poorly by his standards. He has been benched and isn't playing with his usual aggression.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

If we are smart enough we surely could grab one of those Roosters forwards.

Ryan Matterson is quickly becoming an extremely good player who is now established as an 80 minute player. - I wonder what their plans are for him next year with Chricton joining the club.

It could only mean he either goes back to the bench as a utility (in which case he would jump at an opportunity to leave the club) or he pushes into the middle

Matterson, Lui, SKO, JWH, Napa - all established quality first grade forwards and someone is going to have their nose out of their joint with the arrival of Chricton

Not to mention the raps on young Nat Butcher who they also have on the bench.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

scotchberry wrote:If we are smart enough we surely could grab one of those Roosters forwards.

Ryan Matterson is quickly becoming an extremely good player who is now established as an 80 minute player. - I wonder what their plans are for him next year with Chricton joining the club.

It could only mean he either goes back to the bench as a utility (in which case he would jump at an opportunity to leave the club) or he pushes into the middle

Matterson, Lui, SKO, JWH, Napa - all established quality first grade forwards and someone is going to have their nose out of their joint with the arrival of Chricton

We will be up hill recruiting a Bondi boy to Canberra

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

LastRaider wrote:
scotchberry wrote:If we are smart enough we surely could grab one of those Roosters forwards.

We will be up hill recruiting a Bondi boy to Canberra

We couldn't even keep a Goulburn boy busy enough to stick around.

Bondi. No chance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I cannot wait til when we sign Jackson Hastings to a 4 year deal to fill our halves woes.

I think he has what it takes to pull this club up to the next level.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matterson plays in the one spot where we don't need anyone.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

3 of those players are from NZ and 1 more from QLD.

The other 2 from Sydney looking for an opportunity for bigger game time -
Last edited by scotchberry on April 19, 2018, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Mounties?

scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

edwahu wrote: April 19, 2018, 9:09 pm Matterson plays in the one spot where we don't need anyone.
Yeah I know.

That’s why Raiders should be on the ball as to what Roosters plans are next season for him.

If mooted he moves to the middle (lock) then one of the other middle players will be disadvantaged.

At a minimum I would be looking at Nat Butcher with the promise of big game time
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Captain Punish wrote:I cannot wait til when we sign Jackson Hastings to a 4 year deal to fill our halves woes.

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Providing it’s not a retirement payday sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

We dodged a bullet when he didn't sign 4 years ago.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Sossman wrote: April 19, 2018, 9:14 pm
Captain Punish wrote:I cannot wait til when we sign Jackson Hastings to a 4 year deal to fill our halves woes.

IMO we could get him and Todd Carney for next to no $$$.

The ultimate 2019 redemption tale!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Roy Rover wrote:
We dodged a bullet when he didn't sign 4 years ago.
He loves Bondi to much to leave. He would stay for a $100k a year contract, that’s how much he is a Bondi boy.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Schifty wrote:
Sossman wrote: April 19, 2018, 9:14 pm

IMO we could get him and Todd Carney for next to no $$$.

The ultimate 2019 redemption tale!
Best halves ever.

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I reckon we push to sign toman as a Jr replacement of we could get him for 500k
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

tolman... that'd be a massive downgrade!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

If we have lost Paulo, I'd like to see us try to spend some bucks on a prop who can be a benchmark. Doesn't need to be the biggest/fastest/best ball playing prop in the world, but someone who sets a standard.

I heard a great story about James Grahams first day at the Dragons - he came in half cooked form the WC and a long season, and day 1 was beep test day. He drove the forwards pack so hard that nearly every one of them set a PB that day - because no one wanted to get beaten by the old boy who had just finished an end of season tournament. In 1 day, he shifted the line of what was acceptable in that pack.

With players like Papa, Tarpine, Boyd, Lui, and our depth, we have plenty of talent, but we don't have that pack leader like Scott, Graham, Burgess etc that FORCE everyone to play better via leading by example. Sia is the closest thing we have, and he haas some days where he is exceptional at leading by example, but he is ageing and only has limited time left in the game.

We would currently have approx 1.5 mill wrapped up in Paulo and Papa, and arguably neither lead a pack the way their pay cheque demands. Both can have sublime games, But I dont think either have the on field presence that one of the top pack leaders do.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: April 20, 2018, 9:08 am If we have lost Paulo, I'd like to see us try to spend some bucks on a prop who can be a benchmark. Doesn't need to be the biggest/fastest/best ball playing prop in the world, but someone who sets a standard.

I heard a great story about James Grahams first day at the Dragons - he came in half cooked form the WC and a long season, and day 1 was beep test day. He drove the forwards pack so hard that nearly every one of them set a PB that day - because no one wanted to get beaten by the old boy who had just finished an end of season tournament. In 1 day, he shifted the line of what was acceptable in that pack.

With players like Papa, Tarpine, Boyd, Lui, and our depth, we have plenty of talent, but we don't have that pack leader like Scott, Graham, Burgess etc that FORCE everyone to play better via leading by example. Sia is the closest thing we have, and he haas some days where he is exceptional at leading by example, but he is ageing and only has limited time left in the game.

We would currently have approx 1.5 mill wrapped up in Paulo and Papa, and arguably neither lead a pack the way their pay cheque demands. Both can have sublime games, But I dont think either have the on field presence that one of the top pack leaders do.
good post
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Matt wrote: April 20, 2018, 9:26 am
Coastalraider wrote: April 20, 2018, 9:08 am If we have lost Paulo, I'd like to see us try to spend some bucks on a prop who can be a benchmark. Doesn't need to be the biggest/fastest/best ball playing prop in the world, but someone who sets a standard.

good post
could try and get Boyd to read this book... assuming he can read of course...

I found a moon rock in my nose....
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I have every faith that Don knows what he's doing.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH who am I kidding?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

We’re not signing any more props.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Interested to see how Guler and Hala progress along with Knight.
Knight strikes me in the Plum or Paul Marquet mould.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

I heard we are signing Jackson Hastings as Blake Austin's replacement. BJ will then have someone to punch on with at training after Austo leaves.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Captain Punish wrote:I heard we are signing Jackson Hastings as Blake Austin's replacement. BJ will then have someone to punch on with at training after Austo leaves.

Yep I heard this as well with Mike Tyson as our Lock and Jeff Fenech making a return to rugby League at Hooker.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

BJ wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:I heard we are signing Jackson Hastings as Blake Austin's replacement. BJ will then have someone to punch on with at training after Austo leaves.

Yep I heard this as well with Mike Tyson as our Lock and Jeff Fenech making a return to rugby League at Hooker.
I'd suggest Jack Wighton as a sparring partner, but he just pops and drops. He is like the Phantom of fist fights.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I read today on NRL.com that Mansour injury has hurt his price tag prospects. I hope we are in discussions with him as a back up to Wighton as it looks like the NRL integrity commission will step in if the verdict is guilty

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: April 20, 2018, 5:53 pm I read today on NRL.com that Mansour injury has hurt his price tag prospects. I hope we are in discussions with him as a back up to Wighton as it looks like the NRL integrity commission will step in if the verdict is guilty

I think he could be a great signing but with this latest injury his record is so bad it makes it very risky. 100 games in 7 seasons makes me think his body may not be cut out for the way he plays.

He could be another Weyman though. Switches clubs and never gets hurt again.
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Goobeeful »

Dunno if Ah Mau has been mentioned as a potential signing for us but heard he wants to go to QLD with Titans the most likely option with broncos uninterested, price too high for dragons apparently
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Goobeeful »

Also that if Wallace decides to leave the Titans they will consider coming after Boyd
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Mansour really? Way too risky to be spending that coin in a perennially injured winger. We already have a gun winger on coin

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Goobeeful wrote: April 20, 2018, 7:38 pm Also that if Wallace decides to leave the Titans they will consider coming after Boyd
We're a shoe in to keep Boyd, our pig hunting is much better.
Relax-init
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Angel Marina

Boyd to Newcastle

Post by Relax-init »

Hoops just said that Newcastle are seriously chasing Boyd.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 25d08d18af

So that is Paulo, Papalii and now Boyd... who will be left?!?! worrisome...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Boyd to Newcastle

Post by The Nickman »

Relax-init wrote: April 23, 2018, 1:14 pm Hoops just said that Newcastle are seriously chasing Boyd.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 25d08d18af

So that is Paulo, Papalii and now Boyd... who will be left?!?! worrisome...
Ricky Stuart.