Blake Austin set for shock switch?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Blake Austin set for shock switch?

Post by greeneyed »

Could Canberra Raiders five eighth Blake Austin make a shock switch to hooker?

Canberra Raiders half Blake Austin seems set to make a shock move to hooker in a bid to kick-start the green machine’s season. While the side has signed Siliva Havili and Craig Garvey as back-up for the role, Blake Austin has spent time this pre-season training in the familiar role.

It’s heavily touted that Garvey will start the year in the number nine jersey, but it seems Austin may make the move to hooker, allowing Aidan Sezer to return to the familiar five-eighth role and promote recruit Sam Williams to halfback.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/blake-austin ... NRL+Gossip
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Blake Austin set for shock switch?

Post by greeneyed »

Not really sure how well placed this article is... Austin flagged this possibility some time ago in his Fox Sports column... and it has been previously reported that he's trained in the role (along with Luke Bateman).

I'd be shocked if Garvey or Havili didn't start. But Ricky Stuart is good for at least one selection shock at the start of the season.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

You'd think the defensive workload would be a bit much. Also we really need a second trial if this is happening.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ll be shocked if Austin doesn’t start at hooker honestly...
Perth Raiders
Simon Woolford

Post by Perth Raiders »

Austin will still play 6. Him training there is so that Sammy W can play as the 14. When SW comes on Blake will play 9. Sticky will select one of the new recruits as the starting 9.
Bring League West.

2010 The GH Premiership- Premiers
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Goobeeful »

Perth Raiders wrote:Austin will still play 6. Him training there is so that Sammy W can play as the 14. When SW comes on Blake will play 9. Sticky will select one of the new recruits as the starting 9.
Heres hoping
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

A switch to nine could be good for Austin. It would improve his passing and his game management for when he returns to 6.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Perth Raiders wrote:Austin will still play 6. Him training there is so that Sammy W can play as the 14. When SW comes on Blake will play 9. Sticky will select one of the new recruits as the starting 9.
This feels like it will just end up with Sammy riding the bench in any close game.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I reckon we will all know who is playing 9 around 5pm sunday 11th march and not beforehand

And with all these articles and stuff that say its williams, bateman , austin etc means less pressure on garvey and the other dude

Not a bad move by stick!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

That’s gotta be the best way to go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

With Hodgson out, our side is better overall if Austin, Sezer and Williams are all in it. Ive said it before, but id have Austin in the 9 or 14. Our strength is our edges, so 2 halves that can get it out to them with quality ball, makes sence to me.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Austin is a poor decision maker and an average passer, he should be nowhere near hooker.

He is an out and out 5/8 or impact sub.

At best his hooking can get to bateman level, but really thats taking a weapon away from one of our edges, austin and leilua need to sort there **** out.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Its pretty obvious, Williams will come off the bench and Blake will switch to hooker for a period of the game to start the season.
WorkChoice
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

cat wrote:I reckon we will all know who is playing 9 around 5pm sunday 11th march and not beforehand

And with all these articles and stuff that say its williams, bateman , austin etc means less pressure on garvey and the other dude

Not a bad move by stick!

I think it is the opposite. I think Sticky is putting the pressure on Havili and Garvey. Making sure they know that FG isn't a sure thing just because Hodgo is injured.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

LP Raider wrote:Its pretty obvious, Williams will come off the bench and Blake will switch to hooker for a period of the game to start the season.
Yep, obvious and sensible.

Austin won’t play hooker all game because it negates some of his strengths. But playing him at 5/8th and then switching him in allows us a period where Austin can cause havoc from dummy-half while we up-size our kicking options by bringing Williams on. Way better than having Garvey and Havili.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think it's evident now more than ever Ricky doesn't have total faith that our new hookers are up to it.

Wish we got Mcilorum.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
cat wrote:I reckon we will all know who is playing 9 around 5pm sunday 11th march and not beforehand

Not a bad move by stick!

I think it is the opposite. I think Sticky is putting the pressure on Havili and Garvey. Making sure they know that FG isn't a sure thing just because Hodgo is injured.

I think its actually a combination of both , mine is the "public idea" what sticky is doing to take pressure off the young ones while they train and practice. This way the focus is off the boys and reckon they will even be named in the reserves part of the 25 players named on the Tuesday before round 1 (and then moved up the list as the week progresses)

your way of thinking is the "private idea" what sticky is saying to them to get them to train hard and focus, their motivation etc

I suppose we just have to believe in sticky!
Vaccinated
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

dubby wrote:I think it's evident now more than ever Ricky doesn't have total faith that our new hookers are up to it.

Wish we got Mcilorum.

Certainly makes a mockery of our mannagement that we had to still let Baptiste go after Hodgson was lost for the season.

I honestly can’t see how we can sustain success or win close games when we would be changing our halves mid match (or what ever time they come on).

Austin’s biggest problem (and the entire squad) is his defence and to me me he should be concentrating solely on improving this over the off season - Not being told you have to learn how to defend at 5/8 but we also want you to learn how to play offence out of dummy half because it will become a regular requirement for you
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I know this has been said before, but whoever plays in the No9 has to be a good defender. Based on recent years experience, that would put Sezer from our halves options as easily the best defender imo. He also has the passing game and can read the play. His kicking game is about what is expected these days from an NRL hooker (Excluding Smith who is a cut above).
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Is Blake really a BAD defender? I seem to remember him making some very good tackles in the past, my memory is that he sometimes has very poor communication with his inside/outside man on an edge. Poor decision making and bad communication on an edge make defenders look much worse than they are, look at how much better Croker looks without Campo/Williams/Edrick.

Not saying that Blake is ready to be a middle third defender full time, but his issues improved significantly when he switched away from BJ, and he was playing middle third/dummy half for the tigers when he tore us a new one.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

He is a BAD defender. Far too many arm grabs and not using his shoulder. The Dogs game last year springs to mind. He was awful. Had nothing to do with poor reads.

He can also make a committed tackle, and saved a couple of tries doing it. But terribly hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

His decision making is more of an issue than his actual tackling technique imo. That lends to him probably being less of a liability in defense in the middle pending fitness.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

julian87 wrote:His decision making is more of an issue than his actual tackling technique imo. That lends to him probably being less of a liability in defense in the middle pending fitness.
Spot on.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

His first up contact is pretty ordinary.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he has had shoulder problems remember but I've always had reservations about his defence since his tigs days

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

edwahu wrote:His first up contact is pretty ordinary.
Agreed. But there are a lot of smaller players like that in the game who make better decisions than
Austin hence not looking as vulnerable imo.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

It's probably just me but I've always thought the whole Sezer is a strong defender thing is a bit of a myth around here...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

It's no myth

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

79 missed tackles last yr
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I love Austin and I want him in the team, but he's a shocking defender. His decision making and shirt grabbing seems to stems from the fact his shoulders are rooted, so he tries to rush the attacking player before they hit him with momentum.

Hopefully he plays no more than 10-15 mins a game at dummy half.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I haven't seen a great deal of havili and garvey, can either of them play any other positions?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think so. Havili defends well enough to
Play a lock role but he’s offer nothin in attack there imo.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Raiders666 wrote:79 missed tackles last yr
Maloney missed 121.

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

dubby wrote:
Maloney missed 121.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story dubs.
WorkChoice
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

dubby wrote:
Maloney missed 121.

And Maloney is routinely criticised as one of the worst halves defensively in the NRL. Difference between him and Blake is that Maloney makes up for I think on the other side (although he was admittedly pretty **** in 2017)