Raiders are the Huddersfield of the NRL

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Raiders are the Huddersfield of the NRL

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sorry if you're a Huddersfield fan in the premier league fan, just chose them at random.

Everyone knows in the English premier league there's only 4-5 teams that can win the comp. NRL today with Roosters signing Cronk finally became like that.

Sure you get the odd Leicester story, but the next year they're struggling again and Chelsea win it. They've regressed to the mean now. Huddersfield nab a great upset vs Man United, but the next week lose 3-0 to Liverpool.

A lower(ish) finally get a world class player like Lukaku, and he's taken by Man U to just further clamp their stronghold. Remind you of anyone? Titans with James Roberts, Raiders with Milford, Tigers with Tedesco...

The NRL is like that now, in fact already has been becoming like this for the last few years.

What can we hope for the Raiders? Much like Huddersfield, we can hope for the occasional against-the-odds win against the power glamour clubs, or maybe even like Leicester a hot run all the way to the top. But we will not be able to consistently compete, and will eventually regress to our mid table (at best) status.

Rip NRL. This Cronk thing has really got me.
fulivai
David Grant

Re: Raiders are the Huddersfield of the NRL

Post by fulivai »

How many beers have you had?

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I had a similar rant on Facebook Canberra Milk and I am feeling pretty down, especially being from Bondi Junction and all my Roosters mates pretty much claiming the title next year and so they should. I could of easily been a Roosters supporter but that Lime Green go me as a kid. Could of really enjoyed some premierships in my adult life but oh well that’s life.
It will a big choke for the Roosters not to win it next year.

I guess I’ve come to the fact a long time ago we will never win one again so I just keep on keeping on. 2016 was a massive tease to those thoughts though.

The NRL is dying but the diehards like myself will always keep it going.
Look forward to watching some more AFL next year on the GWS Bandwagon!

Peace Out Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think we could win the odd one, eg if there's some superstar who just loves Canberra and doesn't want to move, like Thurston with the Cowboys. But how often is there a Thurston, and what are the chances the next one will be a Raider
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I really don't like this hey.

Roosters were a shambles between 81 and buying Fittler/Gould. That's when they became professional and even then it took them 7 or so years to win a comp. I really don't think this is boyond comprehension (they will shed IMO). Plenty of reasons that they have an advantage but **** happens. They're based in a sought after spot for young, successful people, they're professional and players will always play for less if they think they can win a comp (some players).

The only team who've genuinely competed over a decade or so are Melbourne. And that is a squad built on cheating. If the NRL had have sold off the big 3 there never would have been an issue. But they were invested in Melbourne and took the soft option.

If only 4 teams can win the comp how come we've had 7 different premiers in the last 8 seasons?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think you're being coy. The Roosters have been up there for close on 20 years, as have the Broncos (longer). Harking back to 1981 does not help your argument.

Of course we're not as bottlenecked as the EPL, and we have a spread of middle teams who can aim up and win it... guess what though, the Raiders are not one of them
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Canberra Milk wrote:I think you're being coy. The Roosters have been up there for close on 20 years, as have the Broncos (longer). Harking back to 1981 does not help your argument.

Of course we're not as bottlenecked as the EPL, and we have a spread of middle teams who can aim up and win it... guess what though, the Raiders are not one of them
If Brisbane don't wrangle a Hunt replacement can you really see them up there next year though? I can't.

I don't think I'm coy when it comes to Easts. One of my most hated teams.

Just on us; we should have won the competition in 2016. We bottled it. We proved in the lead up we were better than Cronulla and Melbourne and choked against them in the semis. You can put it down to inexperience or whatever but you won't get an opportunity on a platter like that often (but given the '18 draw we're given another go if we're serious).
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

2016 in hindsight was an anomaly. Even then I think it's very arguable whether we "should have" won the comp. Yes we beat Cronulla and Melbourne, the grand finalists, two weeks in a row, but near and around those games we let Newcastle and Parramatta get to massive early leads. We were erratic, even in our anomalous success season (and the fact that our success season was a semi final finish only really says it all)
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

julian87 wrote:I really don't like this hey.

Roosters were a shambles between 81 and buying Fittler/Gould. That's when they became professional and even then it took them 7 or so years to win a comp. I really don't think this is boyond comprehension (they will shed IMO). Plenty of reasons that they have an advantage but **** happens. They're based in a sought after spot for young, successful people, they're professional and players will always play for less if they think they can win a comp (some players).

The only team who've genuinely competed over a decade or so are Melbourne. And that is a squad built on cheating. If the NRL had have sold off the big 3 there never would have been an issue. But they were invested in Melbourne and took the soft option.

If only 4 teams can win the comp how come we've had 7 different premiers in the last 8 seasons?

Players don't play for the Roosters or the Broncos for less really. Top players like Cronk would get the same money elsewhere. What is more interesting is how much is on the cap.
Lesser knowns tend to play for less for the reasons you stat but not the sort to make much difference to their cap.

You do realise the salary cap coverup in Melbourne was 7 years ago don't you? The real issue there was the coverup not the scale of the breach. I remember Canterbury having a further 7 years of success after their breach too, oh wait.

Anyhow I don't care who plays for other teams generally but the Roosters signing Cronk is a piss take. With the roster they have to sign Tedesco and Cronk this year. Players must have a taken a pay cut and returned any bonuses they triggered by finishing second and playing finals footy. Not good for the game really the way the cap is mismanaged.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Do you blokes think Gordon, Tetevano, Matterson, Liu and Cornish would be on above minimum wage? Or that Aubusson, Keary, Ferguson, Tupou and Manu wouldn't be on significant unders?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
Players don't play for the Roosters or the Broncos for less really.
They do IMO. And very obviously. Sprout TPA's all you want but pro players will play at these clubs for less for a multitude of reasons.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

julian87 wrote:Do you blokes think Gordon, Tetevano, Matterson, Liu and Cornish would be on above minimum wage? Or that Aubusson, Keary, Ferguson, Tupou and Manu wouldn't be on significant unders?
Why would those players be on significant unders?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Lol the NRL cap rules are a joke, mainly due to the unlimited TPA thing... It means that most clubs operate under one salary cap and a select few can just buy whoever they choose. How anybody could think that is a fair and equitable system is beyond me. If Bernie Gurr, Parra's CEO who used to work for Roosters, thinks the salary cap needs an overhaul, then I do too.

Bernie on the issue: "You can’t have a component of your cap — which is now becoming an even-larger component — that’s not capped. Otherwise, you lose the impact of the cap. The TPAs should be capped, otherwise you get a very unfair advantage between say the Canberra market versus the Brisbane corporate market, so I think there is too much disparity on the TPAs.” What he was saying isn't very complex, it's quite simple... and it's obvious why certain teams have a big advantage over the rest when it comes to recruitment/retention.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
julian87 wrote:I really don't like this hey.

Players don't play for the Roosters or the Broncos for less really. Top players like Cronk would get the same money elsewhere. What is more interesting is how much is on the cap.
Lesser knowns tend to play for less for the reasons you stat but not the sort to make much difference to their cap.

You do realise the salary cap coverup in Melbourne was 7 years ago don't you? The real issue there was the coverup not the scale of the breach. I remember Canterbury having a further 7 years of success after their breach too, oh wait.

Anyhow I don't care who plays for other teams generally but the Roosters signing Cronk is a piss take. With the roster they have to sign Tedesco and Cronk this year. Players must have a taken a pay cut and returned any bonuses they triggered by finishing second and playing finals footy. Not good for the game really the way the cap is mismanaged.
I think its become a bit of a myth that the main issue for Melbourne was just that they covered it up. They breached the cap by something like 25% for 5 years. It was a ridiculously huge breach.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote:
julian87 wrote:Do you blokes think Gordon, Tetevano, Matterson, Liu and Cornish would be on above minimum wage? Or that Aubusson, Keary, Ferguson, Tupou and Manu wouldn't be on significant unders?
Because Nikorima took all the cash.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Compare the Cronk farce with the wonder of the AFL draft last week. Rigidly controlled everybody understands the rules and it’s their way or the highway. It works, yet the NRL walk around in circles scratching their heads making excuses.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The roosters work the system to their advantage. 2 years ago they were significantly under the cap after releasing Jennings, Maloney etc and playing Hastings/nikorima etc in their place. Robinson has come out and confirmed as much ie that they knew they were in for a lean year. That allows them to front load contracts so that you can sign better players in the year that follows, which is precisely what is happening this year. Good luck to them, they are working the system to their advantage.

To say that they will definitely win a premiership next year cause they've signed cronk is ridiculous. Players don't win premierships. Teams do. If the team culture suffers because of how this is unfolding they will go backwards next year. Our core team didn't change from last year. Our desire, attitude did. That was the difference. Will be interesting to see what unfolds at the roosters next year
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

sprintman wrote:Compare the Cronk farce with the wonder of the AFL draft last week. Rigidly controlled everybody understands the rules and it’s their way or the highway. It works, yet the NRL walk around in circles scratching their heads making excuses.
This. Tired of the NRL making excuses for their ****, farcical rules which only benefit certain teams. It's obvious to so many fans, yet they're still out there trying to convince people that they have a good system in place. Instead of insulting the intelligence of their supporters by persisting with this Bull, why don't they just improve the rules and enforce them properly?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

No idea what you're on about Kris. I dont follow soccer.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Lol the NRL cap rules are a joke, mainly due to the unlimited TPA thing... It means that most clubs operate under one salary cap and a select few can just buy whoever they choose. How anybody could think that is a fair and equitable system is beyond me. If Bernie Gurr, Parra's CEO who used to work for Roosters, thinks the salary cap needs an overhaul, then I do too.

Bernie on the issue: "You can’t have a component of your cap — which is now becoming an even-larger component — that’s not capped. Otherwise, you lose the impact of the cap. The TPAs should be capped, otherwise you get a very unfair advantage between say the Canberra market versus the Brisbane corporate market, so I think there is too much disparity on the TPAs.” What he was saying isn't very complex, it's quite simple... and it's obvious why certain teams have a big advantage over the rest when it comes to recruitment/retention.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Jayden Nikorima is on $370k.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

They lost Guerra and SKD who would've been on large overs, and they never properly replaced RTS or Maloney and they're still getting rid of one of Pearce/Keary/Friend. Plus Cronk will be taking (not massive, but still significant) unders. Not that difficult to see how they fit it all.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Notaroboticfish wrote:They lost Guerra and SKD who would've been on large overs, and they never properly replaced RTS or Maloney and they're still getting rid of one of Pearce/Keary/Friend. Plus Cronk will be taking (not massive, but still significant) unders. Not that difficult to see how they fit it all.
I have a feeling they wont be getting rid of anyone. Too much of a song and dance for that.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Yeah. You'll get teams like the Tigers in 05, Warriors in 2011, Souths 2013-2015, Sharks and us last year who can have one or two seasons competing before their squad is torn apart by the cap. Then you'll have the Broncos, Storm and Roosters constantly given a leg up by the NRL that can compete year in and year out. Dragons really should be up there too.

The Cowboys will be interesting once JT retires.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Nah it is worse than that.

In a competition that is quite even if you look at winners (yeah some teams have longer runs at the top your broncos, melbourne and roosters have more good than bad seasons) we just never do anything and when we should do something we fail even harder than can be believed.

We are more like a Cleveland browns or detroit lions just a real aura of failure around us that is incredibly difficult to shake. We aren't a struggling club in the land of the giants we are perpetual losers in a fairly even comp. Look up mediocre in the dictionary and it will say "the canberra raiders post 1997"
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Since the days of the NRL, 16/20 (80%) of grand finals have featured at least one of Roosters, Broncos, Storm.
This is not a trend that looks like turning around anytime soon.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote:
Aubusson has been with the club for over a decade, never threatened to play rep footy and has gone on record many times about his love for his home club.
Ferguson signed a 1 year deal in August and has been underwhelming for a long time, I doubt they had to trump anyone. They limited his contract due to off field indiscretions as well.
Souths were pretty much desperate to get rid of Keary. His star had plummeted a bit and Roosters waited and ounced on their man at the right time. Mid last season (bar maybe Newcastle) there really weren't any clubs moving worlds to sign a half, most clubs had their combinations tied up.
Joey Manu was re-signed last year at 20 years old after 3 or 4 games.
I could be wrong on Tupou but his form dipped dramatically over a fair period of time.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sid wrote:Since the days of the NRL, 16/20 (80%) of grand finals have featured at least one of Roosters, Broncos, Storm.
It's well covered that Melbourne have been there due to systematic cheating. Take them out and those numbers don't look nearly as bad.

FWIW you'd have to think that Brisbane are teetering on the slippery slope now as well. The jury is out on Darius Boyd maintaining his level of play into his 30s, Bennett's innovation seems to have slowed at Wollongong, they've replaced their halfback with a centre and outside of McGuire and Gillett their pack is mediocre at best.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Broncos are stronger then ever (well post about 2006). They have a total lockdown on the juniors up there now and on top of that regularly poach some of the best young players from other clubs. Sure they cycle through their mid weight players but they rarely lose one they want to keep and if they do they are able to replace them with Australian reps. They may look a bit weak in the middle but they have an outstanding group of young forwards coming through and will no doubt add a couple more before 2019, if not somehow by 2018.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sid wrote:Since the days of the NRL, 16/20 (80%) of grand finals have featured at least one of Roosters, Broncos, Storm.
Wow. That is a crazy stat for a supposedly "even" comp.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

edwahu wrote:Broncos are stronger then ever (well post about 2006). They have a total lockdown on the juniors up there now and on top of that regularly poach some of the best young players from other clubs. Sure they cycle through their mid weight players but they rarely lose one they want to keep and if they do they are able to replace them with Australian reps. They may look a bit weak in the middle but they have an outstanding group of young forwards coming through and will no doubt add a couple more before 2019, if not somehow by 2018.
yeah, everything is in place for the broncos to remain a powerhouse club for many years to come (FTA, TPA, Media, feeder clubs etc.) This year they stride into the prelims missing half their spine, they'll make top 5 next year.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I support Liverpool and I see huge parallels between them and the raiders. It hurts.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote:
edwahu wrote:Broncos are stronger then ever (well post about 2006). They have a total lockdown on the juniors up there now and on top of that regularly poach some of the best young players from other clubs. Sure they cycle through their mid weight players but they rarely lose one they want to keep and if they do they are able to replace them with Australian reps. They may look a bit weak in the middle but they have an outstanding group of young forwards coming through and will no doubt add a couple more before 2019, if not somehow by 2018.
yeah, everything is in place for the broncos to remain a powerhouse club for many years to come (FTA, TPA, Media, feeder clubs etc.) This year they stride into the prelims missing half their spine, they'll make top 5 next year.
If anything I think things might be a bit too easy for them. Their players don't seem to have the same desire as the Cowboys / Storm / Sharks, and they probably churn through players faster than they need to because they have an easy time replacing them.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

CJ42 wrote:I support Liverpool and I see huge parallels between them and the raiders. It hurts.

In the same boat mate... both clubs cause much angst and do nothing but aid in the cultivation of grey hairs on my head...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Roosters are a boil on the backside of this competition.
They're EDIT...please let that sink in.
Dirty pack of scumbag EDIT.

But they're not alone..

Broncos are EDIT...big time...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: