Raiders are the Huddersfield of the NRL

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Raiders are the Huddersfield of the NRL

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I don’t know, I still feel we’ll win a Premiership within the next 10 years. Next 5 really. No reason why, just based on our 2016 performance, and seeing Leicester, Bulldogs, Tigers, Cubs, Sharks and every other drought break in recent times. I feel ours is coming.

I have a feeling we’re building to something, and this season was a gut check to the players. They should not get ahead of themselves again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I don’t know, I still feel we’ll win a Premiership within the next 10 years. Next 5 really. No reason why, just based on our 2016 performance, and seeing Leicester, Bulldogs, Tigers, Cubs, Sharks and every other drought break in recent times. I feel ours is coming.

I have a feeling we’re building to something, and this season was a gut check to the players. They should not get ahead of themselves again.

10 years. I don't want to think about it..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I was thinking within 5, but thought it might get mocked, so I stretched it out to 10

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Pete Cash wrote:Nah it is worse than that.

In a competition that is quite even if you look at winners (yeah some teams have longer runs at the top your broncos, melbourne and roosters have more good than bad seasons) we just never do anything and when we should do something we fail even harder than can be believed.

We are more like a Cleveland browns or detroit lions just a real aura of failure around us that is incredibly difficult to shake. We aren't a struggling club in the land of the giants we are perpetual losers in a fairly even comp. Look up mediocre in the dictionary and it will say "the canberra raiders post 1997"
100%. A heap of poor decisions from coaches and administrators riding on the coattails (and surnames) of those whose hard work and persistence built this club.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I don’t know, I still feel we’ll win a Premiership within the next 10 years. Next 5 really. No reason why, just based on our 2016 performance, and seeing Leicester, Bulldogs, Tigers, Cubs, Sharks and every other drought break in recent times. I feel ours is coming.

I remember sitting here in 2008 with a Campese on fire thinking the same thing. 10 years later, still doughnut.

Our only faint hope is if the NRL will hand us a premiership like they did with Souths, Cronulla and the Storm.

In Ricky We Trust
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Dibbers wrote:
CJ42 wrote:I support Liverpool and I see huge parallels between them and the raiders. It hurts.

In the same boat mate... both clubs cause much angst and do nothing but aid in the cultivation of grey hairs on my head...
x3.
Old powerhouses who can't compete consistently in the modern game. Not to mention defensive deficiencies :nooo
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Raiders Lim! wrote: x3.
Old powerhouses who can't compete consistently in the modern game. Not to mention defensive deficiencies :nooo
Does that mean that Blake Austin is the Dejan Lovran of the Raiders? And Jack is the Mignolet?

Funnily enough both teams seem to approach the game in a "You score 10 then we'll score 20" type of mind set... and aren't able to deliver...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

We are definitely the Detroit Lions or the Cincinatti Bengals. Maybe even the Minnesota Vikings. We could very well be the Chiefs. Have a strong season, make the playoffs and bam, out on our ****!

As for 2018, we are screwed. We have an incompetent front office, a useless coach, a heartless team of underachievers and we are shedding players to fit under the cap all the while the Roosters are adding their second million$+ player.

If anyone can explain to me how you fit Cronk, Pearce, Cordner, Friend, Keary and Tedesco in a team who combined would consume roughy half the salary cap and still fit in the remaining 20 odd players on an average of about $200-$250k per year, which includes the likes of JWH, Tupou, Ferguson, Mitchell, Gordon and Napa. The figures will never add up for me.

Does the cap cover the top 25 or top 30 players at your club?

I'm over the NRL. The most poorly run "professonal" sport in the developed world. An absolute shambles.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

legend wrote:We are definitely the Detroit Lions or the Cincinatti Bengals. Maybe even the Minnesota Vikings. We could very well be the Chiefs. Have a strong season, make the playoffs and bam, out on our ****!

As for 2018, we are screwed. We have an incompetent front office, a useless coach, a heartless team of underachievers and we are shedding players to fit under the cap all the while the Roosters are adding their second million$+ player.

If anyone can explain to me how you fit Cronk, Pearce, Cordner, Friend, Keary and Tedesco in a team who combined would consume roughy half the salary cap and still fit in the remaining 20 odd players on an average of about $200-$250k per year, which includes the likes of JWH, Tupou, Ferguson, Mitchell, Gordon and Napa. The figures will never add up for me.

Does the cap cover the top 25 or top 30 players at your club?

I'm over the NRL. The most poorly run "professonal" sport in the developed world. An absolute shambles.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're a glass half full kinda guy.... am I right? Lol.

FYI I agree with the general insinuation of your post, there are some details that in my opinion the jury is still out on, but by and large... I agree.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

We haven't won a premiership in 23 years and we are no closer to winning one in the next 5-10 years. Where is the beacon of hope and even if there was one, he'd be siphoned off to the Roosters or Broncos at the earliest opportunity. I lived as the eternal optimist for years but the number of false dawns became too much to handle and the excuses more ridiculous and outlandish as the years went on. The culture of the club and players remains the same regardless of who coaches the club.

Stuart has had one successful season in four but has his snout in the proverbial trough with the rest of his mates who run the club, seemingly for their own benefit.

As for the wider competition, it's run for the sole purpose of benefiting big clubs while the rest of the NRL provide a nursery for said clubs. Introduce a transfer fee to compensate the Raiders of this world to make big clubs either think twice or pay up for the right to sign a player another club developed.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

legend wrote:Introduce a transfer fee to compensate the Raiders of this world to make big clubs either think twice or pay up for the right to sign a player another club developed.
I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago.. I'm of the belief that transfer fees should be brought in and the club who sells the player should be able to use that fee towards their cap... the club decides over what time period... so say we sold Lachlan Croker to Manly and they paid a $500k transfer fee. The Raiders then have the option of allocating the entirety of the $500k to use in the upcoming seasons cap, or split over 5 seasons ($100k a season) or any combination they'd like..

That way, you're rewarding clubs that focus on junior development, even if a player leaves after coming through the ranks, you still get some financial benefit in selling them to another club. And with bigger name players like a Cronk for example, assuming he was sold prior to his contract ending, the selling club would have to weigh up the asking price... so if they wouldn't settle for less than a million, clubs would be hesitant to buy at that price as it'd give Melbourne a massive cap boost.. And Melbourne would have to be realistic and weigh up the benefit of selling him for less vs waiting till his contract expires and leaving them with no financial benefit...

It would add another dynamic to the competition and while Melbourne would get a decent boost for selling 1 player, a team like the raiders might get a similar benefit selling 4 Lachlan Crokers...

I honestly think it could work pretty well... provided the NRL can manage it... which they can't so it'd be a dogs breakfast naturally...
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

A transfer fee should only apply if the player in question is a junior and has played less than x amount of games. I'd suggest <50 so the risk rests with the team wanting the player. If Brisbane wanted to stump up $1 million for Milford, we are fairly compensated for the cost of his development and the cost of replacing him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

legend wrote:A transfer fee should only apply if the player in question is a junior and has played less than x amount of games. I'd suggest <50 so the risk rests with the team wanting the player. If Brisbane wanted to stump up $1 million for Milford, we are fairly compensated for the cost of his development and the cost of replacing him.
Why would a transfer fee only apply to a player of restricted number of games?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

With the CBA basically agreed there wont be any changes to the system for 5 years, and given the NRL didn't push for much this time I doubt there will be after. The only possible change mentioned is replacing TPA's with Sponsor servicing agreements, which would be great for us.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

julian87 wrote:
legend wrote:A transfer fee should only apply if the player in question is a junior and has played less than x amount of games. I'd suggest <50 so the risk rests with the team wanting the player. If Brisbane wanted to stump up $1 million for Milford, we are fairly compensated for the cost of his development and the cost of replacing him.
Why would a transfer fee only apply to a player of restricted number of games?
yeah doesn't make sense if you ask me... you don't want to discourage the movement of proven talent... What happens in a situation where say Lachlan Croker turns into the next Cooper Cronk? We get a benefit based on where we were able to get him in terms of development, why wouldn't Manly get a benefit based on further development? And remember the transfer fee only applies to a player with time still left on their contract (similar to the EPL). So if a club wants to price a player out of a transfer, they'll go on a free transfer at the end of their contract...
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

-PJ- wrote:Roosters are a boil on the backside of this competition.
They're EDIT...please let that sink in.
Dirty pack of scumbag EDIT.

But they're not alone..

Broncos are EDIT...big time...
Your man united/Chelsea/city of the nrl.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Given we seem to have almost given up on 'development' I think this is a bad time to be suggesting transfer fees.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote:Given we seem to have almost given up on 'development' I think this is a bad time to be suggesting transfer fees.
We only gave up on development because it was a bad investment decision for us... We would've spent a very large sum of money in this field over the years for next to no return (Papalii, Croker and Cotric have basically been it for us in the last decade due to everybody else decent leaving us before we got more than a single season of good football out of them). The club has publicly stated their position on this.

If the system is improved so that clubs who develop juniors reap some sort of equitable reward, I'd expect us to be back in the game. We have years of experience in the field. Our club would definitely still want some kind of cap concession or transfer fee introduced for junior development, I reckon.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

You need to provide cap dispensation on a sliding scale for all players who debut at a club. It's IMO the simplest and fairest way to even up the competition and force clubs to take a long-term view of player development.

If someone debuts for your club a small percentage of their salary is excluded from the cap. That percentage rises each year the player stays at the club. This kind of approach would reward clubs and players for loyalty and for investing in junior development. It would also add a premium for clubs that buy their rosters rather than develop them.

Third Party Agreements can be reigned in pretty easily with a little more transparency and a little stiffer regulation from the NRL.

Of course nothing is actually going to change. At least not until broadcast TV dies.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looks like the CBA is done and there is no changes to the current TPA system by the looks of it.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-announces-histor ... fault.aspx
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-GD- wrote:
julian87 wrote:Do you blokes think Gordon, Tetevano, Matterson, Liu and Cornish would be on above minimum wage? Or that Aubusson, Keary, Ferguson, Tupou and Manu wouldn't be on significant unders?
Jayden Nikorima is on $370k.
Its ok, in a strange twist of fate it looks like Nikorima will be sacked for twice failing drug tests. What a fortunate coincidence he is the exact player the Roosters need to let go :hmmm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 855ea1936a
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

There's no ****ing way Nikorima is on $350K a year.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It was an odd signing I thought. Especially for that money.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:There's no ****ing way Nikorima is on $350K a year.
For Politis and his brown paper bags to Rothfield its a convenient amount of money.

Prolly includes the brown paper bags
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

edwahu wrote:
-GD- wrote:
julian87 wrote:Do you blokes think Gordon, Tetevano, Matterson, Liu and Cornish would be on above minimum wage? Or that Aubusson, Keary, Ferguson, Tupou and Manu wouldn't be on significant unders?
Jayden Nikorima is on $370k.
Its ok, in a strange twist of fate it looks like Nikorima will be sacked for twice failing drug tests. What a fortunate coincidence he is the exact player the Roosters need to let go :hmmm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 855ea1936a
Right on cue

Politis must be a lucky guy, also had the Kenny Dowall incident right before signing Tedesco :)