2017 in review - Aidan Sezer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the seventh instalment of 2017 in review. As usual in the off-season, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2017. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana and Blake Austin.

Aidan Sezer joined the Raiders in 2016 from the Gold Coast Titans - and many Raiders fans felt that he was exactly the sort of organisational halfback that the Green Machine needed. His first year was a tough one - interrupted by injury - but he played every match of 2017. However, for one reason or another, he's not really been the dominant play maker in Canberra that he was at the Gold Coast.

The Raiders' spine has some very good players. Blake Austin was five eighth of the year in 2015. Hooker Josh Hodgson was in the top five players in the NRL in 2016. Yet the spine has not gelled well in the last couple of years. Hodgson, in particular, is a dominant hooker forward - and this year both halves publicly called for more quality, early ball from dummy half. This year, Blake Austin took on more of the organisational duties as well. How Ricky Stuart resolves this in the off season will critical to determining how the Raiders fare in 2018.

In attack, Sezer ranked outside the top ten halfbacks for total try involvements - which is probably the statistic that is best to focus upon. The Fox Sports Lab statistics have Sezer with 22 try assists - which is certainly amongst the top 10 halfbacks - but just one last touch assist, four tries, and six try contributions. Those stats are a bit of a puzzle... but the total try involvements probably gives the best overall indication.

The Raiders' halves had relatively low involvements in 2016 too, but the team finished No. 1 in attack. My thesis last year was that the halves were doing what they needed to: get the ball to the strike players out wide. The team’s attack still ranked third in 2017, but it regressed. What this season has shown is that things come unstuck if the forwards don't provide momentum and the strike players are out of form or contained by the opposition's tactics.

Clearly the play makers need to improve their combinations and their level of creativity. But we shouldn't be too critical either. As Ricky Stuart pointed out at least once this year... the play makers at at the centre of everything, but if other players in the team are not doing their job, they can't do theirs. And if the Raiders forwards consistently lay the platform, that will go a long way to lifting the impact of the halves.

Sezer's kicking metres per match were low compared with his half back peers. But the short kicking was perhaps the greater issue. Aidan Sezer forced just six line drop outs in 2017, Blake Austin eight. The Raiders forced only 22 line drop outs, the equal lowest in the league. Mitchell Moses forced 22 himself. In addition, the Raiders did not kick a field goal in 2017 - but lost three matches in golden point. Amazingly, Sezer only had one field goal attempt this year. Add repeat sets and field goals to the list of things that need addressing in the off season.

In defence, Sezer produced a tackle efficiency rate of 78 per cent... the top regular half had a rate in the high 80s. He missed 68 tackles... but at least he was well below the mark set by Mitchell Moses (92)! That translated into 12 try causes. He’d want to improve on that, though it’s not the worst record. The Titans' Ash Taylor had 18. Sezer's discipline was good, with relatively low errors and penalties conceded.

Aidan Sezer's best performance of the year came in the Round 19 golden point victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons. In the 60th minute, with the Dragons on the attack in the red zone, Sezer intercepted a pass and he ran 90 metres to score under the posts. The defenders were coming from everywhere, but he could not be caught. It not only produced a try, it probably saved a try.

Then in the 83rd minute, with the Dragons having the better of territory in golden point, Aidan Sezer produced his first 40/20 kick of the season. It was more like a 30/10... and it set the Raiders up for Elliott Whitehead's golden try. He ended the match with one try, 153 metres from eight runs, 15 tackles, one 40/20 kick and 161 kicking metres. We know what Aidan can deliver at his best. It will make a huge difference to the team to see it more consistently in 2018.

How did you rate Aidan Sezer's 2017? Tell us below.

Aidan Sezer's 2017: 6/10

2017 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 24
Average minutes: 79.7
Tries: 4
Try assists: 22
Try contributions: 6
Total try involvements: 32
Total kicks: 146
Kick metres: 3676m
Average kick metres per match: 153m
40/20’s: 2
Forced drop outs: 6
Kicks dead: 7
Kick errors: 6
Total runs: 90
All run metres: 919
Average metres per carry: 10.2m
Average metres per game: 38m
Tackle breaks: 34
Offloads: 13
Line breaks: 5
Line break assists: 15
Tackles: 268
Average tackles per game: 11.2
1 on 1 tackles: 40
Missed tackles: 68
Average missed tackles per game: 2.8
Tackle efficiency: 76 per cent
Try causes: 12
Errors: 24
Penalties conceded: 6
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2017 in review - Aidan Sezer

Post by dubby »

6/10 for me too.

We are not seeing the best of this bloke. If there is one criticism I have of Rickys coaching this year, it was his management of this guy and the spine in general.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We know Sezer is way better than what he's producing.
Our think tank need to get both our halves a role, the clock is literally ticking. This is the most important issue we have, and it needs fixing. Sams not here to run water...

Sezer gets a 5.5

Where's he's field goal stat ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As mentioned in the text, he had 0/1 field goals in 2017.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Should be in bold like the rest of his stats.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think 6 is probably fair.
Not sure he was any better or worse than last yr TBH. He had a couple of games this yr and last, where he dragged us over the line. Also had a few where he went missing. Short kicking is still an issue. Still manages to get the ball where it needs to be in attack, even if he isn't getting the kudos.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

5/10 for me, mostly based on his utter inability to close out a match. For me, that's pretty much a section of it's own on a halfback's position description, and he has completely failed on it.

Generally speaking, probably drifted a little from last year but was no catastrophe. Desperately needs to learn how to earn a repeat set, though.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

5/10 is fair
He has really strong moments but the team needs him to far more consistent than he was in 2017.
In a failed season I’ll struggle to give many above a pass mark.

His short kicking game has seemingly been left on the Gold Coast. IF he’s around for 2018, that’s the major area he needs to improve on
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

5/10. Unlike some of our more talented players he didn't regularly lose us games through stupid play or terrible defense. He is an average halfback who unfortunately very rarely takes control or closes out games, but in the modern game that is still enough to be average.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think Sezer's clear drop in performance since he moved here from the Gold Coast has mainly been a confidence thing. When you watch us on the field, Austin is always calling for the ball in crucial moments and it seems that Sezer has had a bit of difficulty asserting himself over Austin. I think this results in him putting extra pressure on himself mentally when he does finally get the ball for the field goal/crucial play.

If Austin had a team-first attitude, our cohesiveness as a team would be so much better. The build up in frustration and the snowballing plunge in self-confidence from losses/plays going wrong has been the main problem for our team in recent times. Austin's selfishness on the field to me is not only one of the root causes of this problem, but serves as an amplifier to this issue - we already saw proof of this with Leilua's blow up earlier this season. The club and players can deny it as much as they like, but there definitely was more to that than was admitted.

The more I watch Austin and Sezer play together, the less I'm convinced that they'll ever form a solid combo. And I don't think there would be many halves you could partner Austin with that would lead him to lifting his game due to all the factors I've mentioned previously. I do however think there is a chance of Sezer improving with a new halves partner.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Here's a review in 25 words or less.

He's rubbish. Let's move on.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Total EDIT
This place is woke.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Can't control a game
Can't close out a game
Can't ball play
Can't force repeat sets
Can't kick field goals
Can't run very well
Can't defend very well

That's pretty much it.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

afgtnk wrote:Can't control a game
Can't close out a game
Can't ball play
Can't force repeat sets
Can't kick field goals
Can't run very well
Can't defend very well

That's pretty much it.
So just a 9/10 then?

Tell the forum what happened eh
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Can't close out a game
Can't ball play
Can't force repeat sets
Can't kick field goals
Can't run very well
Can't defend very well

That's pretty much it.
Sigh.. hard to argue really

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This really is afgtnk's bread and butter isn't it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

6 forced drop outs in 26 games

Must be the lowest of all halfbacks in the comp

Cronk would have 6 forced drop outs in one game

But he improved towards the back end of the season. 5.5 for me

I think Stuart is getting ready to say goodbye to him. May go back to Gold Coast to replace Ash Taylor when he signs with Broncos for $300,000 with $800,000 third party agreement
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Saw Sezer down at The Southo the other day and he told me he really missed Wet N Wild and i was like, "mate, check out Big Splash', he didn't even know we had a Waterpark in Canberra
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can't close out a game
Can't ball play
Can't force repeat sets
Can't kick field goals
Can't run very well
Can't defend very well

That's pretty much it.
Man I hate Sezer apologists
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Started playing ok at the back of the season when he had a bit of confidence. Dragons game was the turning point, he followed that up with 1 of his best games in green the following week v the storm. Was very very poor prior to that though. Can obviously play but overall has been a huge disappointment. 4/10.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Always thought afgtnk and Hong Kong raider were the same guy but HK gave Sezer a 5/10 while obviously af... you know what I'm just going to call him phil from now on would be giving a rating of what -100/10 does that sound right phil

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Very hard to rate the spine this year to be honest. I think Austin was genuinely bad but the other 3 had their moments and had issues. If you compare Sezer and Hodgson they are almost the complete opposite at their worst. Hodgson just tries **** everything that pops into his brain and ends up pulling out some idiotic plays where Sezer goes missing. I don't really know what is worse. Probably going missing because at least one of Hodgsons ridiculous plays might come off

I dont know a 5-6

He won us games and didnt really lose us any but he did go missing a lot