Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on NRL 360... now.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Stuart on NRL 360 now

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on NRL 360... now.
Did Nickman ask him any questions?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart interview:

State of Origin and Laurie Daley. I spoke publicly as it was a press conference and I was asked a question. I wanted to support my mate, I think it could have been done with more respect, I'm not saying anything about the decision, but he deserved more respect in how it was handled.

Not even thought of doing the job myself. Don't agree with the rule that NRL club coaches can't be Origin coach. But I've never thought of it.

Expectations outside compared to internal expectations? Tough night to come, I'm feeling very empty, no one to blame but myself and the players. I don't feel we controlled our game well this season, we've not been mentally tough enough to win the grind. Other teams were up for us, a lot of people didn't believe me, but we were challenged this year and we weren't up for it. Too many close losses have cost us at the end of the day. I'm proud that as a Raider, we never give up, we were in games we shouldn't have been according to the statistics, but the statistics were our own fault.

Depth. It's salary cap. We had first grade talent putting pressure on first grade talent last year, can't get that situation every year.

Brutal review. Coming from a cranky coach, it will be brutal. I don't want the team thinking it was bad luck that cost us. I want them to think it was me and them. We've got to enjoy the grind. We started the season trying to play as the fans wanted, but you've got to earn every right to play attractive football, by winning the ruck. You've got to earn the right to play second phase football. We weren't doing that early in the season.

We will do a review, it'll be thorough. We haven't got too much to fix. We need to be more consistent, we can beat Melbourne next week, but we can get beaten by others. It starts off field too. I'll be more thorough on me than anyone else. I was trying to keep the peace, keep the happiness, rather than being the old Ricky Stuart. I spoke with Craig Bellamy, and I've gone back to being the old Ricky Stuart the last eight weeks.

It's the players' job to make sure they are wanting to come to work. I've told them that's their accountability. I could have been tougher. If we want to go forward we've got to be tougher on ourselves.

Can the art of game management be taught to the playmakers? It can be taught. I've seen 10 year olds with it, it's football intelligence, but it definitely can be taught.

I want the players to respect the coaches and have faith that what we're coaching is best for them. We've got a fairly young playing group, in terms of games together, we'll keep this core group together for the next three years.

All I try to do is the best for the Raiders. I'm passionate about the club and the players are. I enjoy coaching these players, we've got the right ingredients, but we've got to fix some details in our game.

Sia Soliola returns after Slater incident. I'll ask Sia tomorrow if he wants to play and go through the media circus this week proior to the Storm match. But he'll certainly handle it. The culture changed the day Sia joined the club. He's a powerful influence and Jarrod Croker relies on players like Sia at the club.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Certainly saying a lot of the right stuff.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
You type quickly ge
I don't post facts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He's certainly passionate.

"Everything I do is for the club"

What I liked about that was he has taken blame along with the players for a terrible season.

I'm looking forward to seeing the boys having some down time, working hard in the pre season before Christmas, taking a break and getting back into to it before ripping into TRIALS(at least 2) and rnd 1.

I'm a baked on supporter, this team excites me every year. We will endure another long off season, counting down the days until we go again.

It's what we do...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

^^likewise.
Fingers crossed our rep players get thru the World Cup injury free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I didn't watch the interview, but that summary makes me feel better that he sees it the way it is.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Yeah that's the noise you want to hear and it's exactly what I assumed was the case. Tried to keep them happy early on instead on the harsh reality.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

Post by -PJ- »

He said the right things.
He now needs to do the right things.

I'm not on the "sack Stuart" wagon. I'm not stupid, I've seen his resume', and needs to extract a digit and get this squad to perform consistently. That's his job. If, IF we aren't in a position to make a grand final next year I'll be ropeable. We have this squad of players for at least another 3yrs...he said it himself.

Over to you coach....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Does it really matter what he says? It's the biggest botch job I've seen from a Raiders team.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It shouldn't take a coach with Sticky's experience until round 16 to address problems which were evident as early as round 8.

When some of us were pointing out the problems he is now acknowledging, Sticky was busy deflecting criticism and blaming officials. IMO you don't get credit for pointing out the bleeding obvious 3 months too late.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I love how passionate Ricky is, I'm buying it!

But yeah I'm glad he had a chat to Bellamy, you wouldn't see him be soft towards the players. You are the boss Ricky, show them who is the boss

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Green eyed Mick wrote:It shouldn't take a coach with Sticky's experience until round 16 to address problems which were evident as early as round 8.

When some of us were pointing out the problems he is now acknowledging, Sticky was busy deflecting criticism and blaming officials. IMO you don't get credit for pointing out the bleeding obvious 3 months too late.
You should apply for an assistant coach role at the Raiders or a position that oversees all the coaches at the club .. I'm sure we'd be premiers every year.
I don't post facts
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Im with Ricky,just watching NRL 360 I wanted to run through a brick wall, the man bleeds green.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Talk is cheap Ricky. Especially after the fact.

But you've got to hand it to the man, he's one hell of a salesman. A bunch of "buyers" on here just because he puts his hand on his heart and says a few platitudes? The biggest buyer of course being DFJ, who bought this dribble a few years ago and then doubled-down after that lousy first half of our season!!!

Let Ricky bring his passion to the club's marketing department if he wants to "Bleed Green". Find us someone else who can deliver footballing performance.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The role Craig Bellamy plays in Ricky Stuart’s ‘brutal’ 2017 review

RICKY Stuart and Craig Bellamy make no secret of the fact they are good mates.The one-time Canberra teammates are thick as thieves, despite being pitted against one another in the ruthless world of NRL coaching.

Stuart has revealed he and Bellamy often contact each other to seek advice on coaching and leadership. In fact it’s Bellamy who he has turned to to help him review Canberra’s disappointing 2017 season.

Read more and video: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... mpaign=crm
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Being a coach is about sales.

You have to sell the players your game plans
sell them there training regimes
sell them confidence and the quality of the list
sell them on the weaknesses of other sides to exploit

When you see coaches get sacked its usually because the players arent buying what the coaches are selling anymore.

If ricky is a good salesman thats good for us.

Thank you for the right up GE, that is the first thing I have read that has started to turn my dark broody mood about the raiders the other way.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

greeneyed wrote:The role Craig Bellamy plays in Ricky Stuart’s ‘brutal’ 2017 review

RICKY Stuart and Craig Bellamy make no secret of the fact they are good mates.The one-time Canberra teammates are thick as thieves, despite being pitted against one another in the ruthless world of NRL coaching.

Stuart has revealed he and Bellamy often contact each other to seek advice on coaching and leadership. In fact it’s Bellamy who he has turned to to help him review Canberra’s disappointing 2017 season.

I hope this is true and not just a story. Bellamy's input could go a long way to fixing so many things for next year.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

CJR wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The role Craig Bellamy plays in Ricky Stuart’s ‘brutal’ 2017 review

I hope this is true and not just a story. Bellamy's input could go a long way to fixing so many things for next year.

I doubt Bellamy would give an opposition side much of a leg up and I even with all his runs on the board at the Storm, I doubt they would let him. I think he is more just a shoudler to cry on for Ricky.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It would just be don't be so matey with the players

You're a coach first, mate second

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

edwahu wrote:
CJR wrote:

I doubt Bellamy would give an opposition side much of a leg up and I even with all his runs on the board at the Storm, I doubt they would let him. I think he is more just a shoudler to cry on for Ricky.
Hey even if it's just suggestions like maybe a couple more trial games, defining roles etc. I'm not expecting a full hands on overhaul but I just hope he throws some suggestions out and they're taken up by Ricky.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

CJR wrote:

I don't think ricky would mention it if it wasn't. Wouldn't guys who've written him off point to this as a reason he shouldn't be coach? Rather than seeing the positive side of it.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Green eyed Mick wrote:It shouldn't take a coach with Sticky's experience until round 16 to address problems which were evident as early as round 8.

So a coach with the record of DOC tried a different approach... and he's slated for it... then he doesn't change anything... and he's slated for it.

As i thought (and commented during the season) his press conferences deliberately deflect from the issues he raised on NRL360, he keeps it behind closed doors. When your team is down on confindence like the raiders were for the majority of the season, why would you come out and publicly bash them? he knows his players better than anyone on here, and if he thought it'd get them over the yips he would have done it. Do you honestly think he wouldn't have said after some of those games "hold the F***ing ball", "Wrap up the ball" etc? Just because he didn't say it in the post game press conference, doesn't mean it wasnt said.

Fans want to hear whats going on. they want to hear whats happening to fix the issues... but maybe, and bear with me as this is quite an outlandish thought here, maybe if that happened he'd be helping other teams identify and exploit our weaknesses or put extra pressure on the players that they can't handle at that time... crazy i know. Sorry i'll try and maintain my sanity from here on....

Now that my sanity has returned, clearly the only solution is to sack everyone and rebuild again... wait till we make the 8 one year, and miss out the next and rinse and repeat.
I found a moon rock in my nose....
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

zim wrote:
CJR wrote:

I don't think ricky would mention it if it wasn't. Wouldn't guys who've written him off point to this as a reason he shouldn't be coach? Rather than seeing the positive side of it.
No point in that since he's been re-signed. Only thing you can do is see things like this as at least an attempt to turn it all around.

Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

papabear wrote:Being a coach is about sales.

You have to sell the players your game plans
sell them there training regimes
sell them confidence and the quality of the list
sell them on the weaknesses of other sides to exploit

When you see coaches get sacked its usually because the players arent buying what the coaches are selling anymore.

If ricky is a good salesman thats good for us.

Thank you for the right up GE, that is the first thing I have read that has started to turn my dark broody mood about the raiders the other way.
Good post papa

Stuart doesn't have absolute rights on coaching the Raiders but imo so far has done a decent job. Failure next season however will require more than words. At the end of the day every coach is well aware that his profession is very much results driven.
I don't post facts
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

The side is blessed with raw talent but from a coaching perspective there is so many things that have to be fixed for the raw talent to reach it's potential.

The 2017 pre-seasons seems to have been a complete disaster; players were under-done. I think fatigue caused many of the irrational decisions at crucial times in games this year. It also played a factor in the team failing to move up in defence (although at times it appeared to be a coaching tactic; crazy if true). Lots of basics were also missing like holding the ball, supporting the ball carrier, patience and getting repeat sets. Specialist skills were also lacking like the long and shot kicking games and vitally, practicing FG attempts.

There is also a complete lack of scenario planning; i.e. what to do in given situations. It's instinctive for the Smiths, Cronks and Thurstons but our "key players" don't have it. Which leads to Game Management. The Raiders snatched a loss from the jaws of victory in probably 3 games this year by not managing the clock. NZ also failed in this area on Sun when they threw away the game against Manly in GP when they had the wind behind them and had made big inroads into Manly territory and inexplicably went for a sweep down the well defended short side and ended up in touch and Manly possession leading to DCE's winning FG. The smart play (the only play) was one more hit-up in the centre and SJ standing deeper to pot the FG from 30 mtrs. Lack of situation awareness and game management.

Ricky also needs to develop a few new set-plays. When games were on the line this year they appeared devoid of ideas and instead of some cunning set-play all they offered up was bash and barge!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart hasn't considered New South Wales Origin job

Ricky Stuart insists he hasn't considered making a return to State Of Origin coaching after the NSWRL revealed they would consider appointing a club coach.

"I have not even though of it," Stuart told Fox Sports' NRL 360. "I don't believe in the rule that was put in place when I had my second go that you couldn't coach an NRL club," Stuart said.

Read more and video: http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/201 ... n-job.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think every fan would be rightfully livid if he did consider it.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Dibbers wrote:

So a coach with the record of DOC tried a different approach... and he's slated for it... then he doesn't change anything... and he's slated for it.

As i thought (and commented during the season) his press conferences deliberately deflect from the issues he raised on NRL360, he keeps it behind closed doors. When your team is down on confindence like the raiders were for the majority of the season, why would you come out and publicly bash them? he knows his players better than anyone on here, and if he thought it'd get them over the yips he would have done it. Do you honestly think he wouldn't have said after some of those games "hold the F***ing ball", "Wrap up the ball" etc? Just because he didn't say it in the post game press conference, doesn't mean it wasnt said.

Fans want to hear whats going on. they want to hear whats happening to fix the issues... but maybe, and bear with me as this is quite an outlandish thought here, maybe if that happened he'd be helping other teams identify and exploit our weaknesses or put extra pressure on the players that they can't handle at that time... crazy i know. Sorry i'll try and maintain my sanity from here on....

Now that my sanity has returned, clearly the only solution is to sack everyone and rebuild again... wait till we make the 8 one year, and miss out the next and rinse and repeat.
We weren't playing for 80 minutes in the early rounds and many people, myself included gave Sticky and the boys the benefit of the doubt on account of the 'easy' pre-season. When it become evident that things weren't changing and we began to throw away games we definitely should have won on the back of lazy defence, lack of patience and il-discipline the coach should have taken decisive action.

He didn't take decisive action or if he did it didn't work. It makes no difference either way because things didn't change and the season was all but over with 5 rounds to go.

As for your suggestion that he was deliberately creating a smoke screen to protect his players. Protect them from what? Protect them from deserved criticism? Again, if that was the strategy it clearly didn't work.

Anyway you try to spin it, Sticky failed miserably this season. He took our strongest roster in 15 years and failed to make the semi-finals. Acknowledging that now is the least he could do and AFAIAC Sticky doing his own review is just another example of why this club keeps treading on its ****.

This club needs an independent evaluation and performance review from top to bottom. A review that delivers clear and measurable performance targets that the CEO and coach are accountable for. IMO It isn't possible to compete unless we adopt a more professional approach to every aspect of club business.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'll watch the replay later.

Big season next year, Rick. It could be your finest..... or your undoing

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

My imagination just ran away with me and has come up with the future scenario of:

R Stuart (General Manager)
C Bellamy (Head Coach)
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Green eyed Mick wrote: ^^^
I'm not denying that the season was a failure, or where that failure lies. All i'm saying is from what Sticky said on 360, he knows where the season went wrong and is putting his and his players hands up and taking accountability of it. Everyone knows the season was a shambles. Everyone knows where the buck stops. and he's admitted it freely on TV when our season is officially over.

As far as criticism of throughout the season, they were copping plenty from the media, experts, the fans, and everyone in between. What possible benefit would there be for the coach to publicly add to that criticism? I'm sure it was done behind closed doors, but to come out and publicly state it would have shattered what little confidence and team harmony there was at the time. He chose to deflect while in the public eye, which is a strategy employed by many coaches in many sports across the globe.

You can have a review from the top down, but if you think that will turn things around and we'll be glory bound in 2018 you're dreaming. If any changes do come from it then it'll likely be another 3 - 5 years of rebuilding and the forums buzz word of the month "mediocrity". You've had, under Sticky, 2 seasons of rebuilding, followed by a fantastic 2016. Yes we've taken a massive jump back this year, but if you sack the lot of them and start again you'll have another 2 - 3 seasons of no finals footy.

All i'm saying is he and his players failed this season (in a massive way). Give him and them the chance to make amends next season before you decide to rebuild again. On the back of last season we've re-signed a lot of our boys till 2020-21. So we'll have to shed them, wear a large portion of their contracts in our cap until then so our rebuild will take a hell of a lot longer to finish than it did under Sticky...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

I love Ricky's passion for the club. I really do.

But it is a worry that a bloke on his money, who has been coaching for so long and who's contract has been recently extended, seems to be battling with demons about what sort of coach he wants to be (old Rick v new Rick).

I wonder if the Storm or Broncos are in any doubt about what sort of coach Bellamy or Bennett want to be.

Am I being too harsh?
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Sticky is not up for the job. He can say what he wants on TV, during an interview where the questions are prepped and he has his responses sorted. Yet, throw him in a post game press conference and his real colours shine. He is a myth as a coach and his record only compunds how stupid this club was in giving him yet another chance to prove what was already proven. He is not up to the job.

Anyone can express passion when the answers are provided for you by a marketing/pr professional and all you have to do is essentially ad lib a written comment. How stupid does this club think the fans are?

I can get in front of a camera and express passion for the Broncos for Ricky's wage and I'll do it happily. Yet I hate them. With all of me. But it's what he is paid to do. Don't be fooled by his media fronting guile. It's nothing but a further smokescreen to mask his inability to do his job.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk