Soliola suspended five weeks, Rapana out for one week

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Soliola suspended five weeks, Rapana out for one week

Post by The Nickman »

What happened at the ground after the game??
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The Nickman wrote:
raiderskater wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I personally believe five weeks is too severe, when you look at other suspensions... Jordan McLean being one that sticks in my mind.

Three or maybe four, but sending this straight to the judiciary, as if it were intentional and one of the worst ever tackles... is unfair.
McLean got 7 weeks - poor guy in wheelchair
Marty Tapau 1 week (I don't know if Bird played the following week)
Greg Inglis 3 weeks for SOO shoulder charge - Dugan broken jaw, can't remember how many weeks he was out
Ryan James - not even sighted 0 weeks, Tedesco broken jaw, James argued he was slipping

Bromwich - 2 weeks (imposed by club for using cocaine)

Sia 5 weeks - Slater trained today
Judiciary under public pressure. There's no consistency in the NRL
Bingo! Nailed it.

Last year our captain was hit, from behind, late, off the ball, deliberately, with the shoulder, to the head. There was no penalty. Croker was not falling. The little nasty **** who did it got a grand total of three weeks. Now there are Raiders fans saying Sia deserved MORE?

Last year Smith put in a dog shot on Croker in the Prelim, hitting him from behind, in an area where he was already injured, off the ball, in fact when the play was even dead. Not only was it not a penalty, not reported, no suspension, there were even pundits who PRAISED Smith for how clever he was to be able to do such a thing and get away with it!

If anyone thinks the reputation of the players involved doesn't matter, they are nothing more than ignorant fools. It absolutely matters. If that had been Smith laying out Aiden Sezer the media would not have given a flying camel!
How come your precious posts have been edited out??

Might be bedtime there, I'd wager
More like bedtime for the pathetic flog who would probably blame the Raiders player for getting dumped on his head in a tackle.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

The Nickman wrote:What happened at the ground after the game??
Nothing happened at the ground after the game. He's having a cry over some morons that sit near him that were laughing and carrying on when Slater got hit.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A halt to the name calling and infighting, please. Posts that don't comply with this moderator request will be deleted.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Casual reminder that the sharks drug cheats got 3 weeks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Prod prod.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

4,6 8, 20 weeks. I couldn't give a rats ****.
This place is woke.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

-TW- wrote:I'm pretty disheartened tbh.. some of the stuff that went on at the game and then afterwards has been disgraceful

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sadly the only way a lot of fans know how to support there team is to attack the opposition. The argument that it happens at all grounds in cop out for cowards. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. Unfortunately social media gives them another platform to spout bile from.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm not angry that he is hard done by as we cannot make the finals.

But i want to bring up last year when before the finals (i) Wighton got charged for grade 2 against Wests (Joel Edwards); and (ii) in the Cronulla v. Storm game, Ennis somehow escaped suspension for a blatant shoulder charge.

Buettner (MRC) and the Judiciary are so inconsistent.

Even when dropping referees - someone Cecchin and Bryan Norrie survived the axe !
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I just read on the DT website that Billy can't remember anything from the last two weeks because of the hit

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Notaroboticfish wrote:I just read on the DT website that Billy can't remember anything from the last two weeks because of the hit

Yeah but the penalty is still too harsh..

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

I just read on the DT website that Billy can't remember anything from the last two weeks because of the hit

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Did Slater ever get suspended for any of these?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote:Image

I wonder if they took into account that he was falling?
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Question wrote:4,6 8, 20 weeks. I couldn't give a rats ****.
Glad I'm not the only 1
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Anyone who is legitimately blowing up about how this has been handled is honestly kidding themselves.

Yes Billy slipped, but if you come in that late and quite high and get it wrong, you deserve to cop a big punishment. How he stayed on the field is mind-blowing.

I have said 4 weeks seemed appropriate, 5 i can live with. Those bagging out Billy for whatever reason, have a look at yourself, no matter what player Sia KO'd he was doing time and plenty of it.

Yes this is a Raiders forum, but some of the comments I've seen on public FB posts suggesting that we are being shafted are embarrassing. You're giving raiders fans a bad name, fans who are generally some of the more educated and mild-mannered across the competition.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Sydney Raider wrote:Anyone who is legitimately blowing up about how this has been handled is honestly kidding themselves.

Yes Billy slipped, but if you come in that late and quite high and get it wrong, you deserve to cop a big punishment. How he stayed on the field is mind-blowing.

I have said 4 weeks seemed appropriate, 5 i can live with. Those bagging out Billy for whatever reason, have a look at yourself, no matter what player Sia KO'd he was doing time and plenty of it.

Yes this is a Raiders forum, but some of the comments I've seen on public FB posts suggesting that we are being shafted are embarrassing. You're giving raiders fans a bad name, fans who are generally some of the more educated and mild-mannered across the competition.
Firstly ill say yeah he deserved a suspension but...

You agree with the way this whole debacle has been handled?? Its been a **** dogs breakfast from start to finish....your kidding yourself mate.

tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

VictorTheViking wrote:
Sydney Raider wrote:Anyone who is legitimately blowing up about how this has been handled is honestly kidding themselves.

You agree with the way this whole debacle has been handled?? Its been a **** dogs breakfast from start to finish....your kidding yourself mate.

Other than Archer saying it should have been a send off (I hardly think this is a problem either) we can have absolutely zero complaints.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Only issue I have is how unprofessional the NRL was about publishing the result with the headline Sia in 5 weeks... they've been absolutely hammered by fans of all clubs on Twitter

tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

-TW- wrote:Only issue I have is how unprofessional the NRL was about publishing the result with the headline Sia in 5 weeks... they've been absolutely hammered by fans of all clubs on Twitter

Harsh but I did laugh... was very clever.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Horse ****....the whole damn thing has been so completely and utterly ****, how often do you get a plethora of ex players and journos howling for a suspension, if it wasnt slater it wouldnt have gotten anywhere near the attention

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sydney Raider wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:

Other than Archer saying it should have been a send off (I hardly think this is a problem either) we can have absolutely zero complaints.
What Archer did was a major problem, in my view. It prejudiced the whole judiciary process severely. It should never have happened. And that sort of thing should never happen again either. The NRL broke its own guidelines in issuing the statement to boot. The NRL showed little regard for process or that true justice took place for Sia Soliola. The fact Archer has done this before in relation to a charge for a Raiders player... I think Raiders fans are understandably upset.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote:Only issue I have is how unprofessional the NRL was about publishing the result with the headline Sia in 5 weeks... they've been absolutely hammered by fans of all clubs on Twitter

It underlined how disrespectful the NRL has been from start to finish.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

Poor Sia, can't believe it. Only because it was one of NRL's untouchables. I was there at the game and have watched on replay, where was there contact with that horrible head

Saw this gem on a facebook post by a raiders page... the bloke needs eyes.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Sydney Raider wrote:Poor Sia, can't believe it. Only because it was one of NRL's untouchables. I was there at the game and have watched on replay, where was there contact with that horrible head

Saw this gem on a facebook post by a raiders page... the bloke needs eyes.
**** mate, you had me ready to rip you a new one until you reveal it was a Facebook comment

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

I actually think its been handled poorly. I cannot for the life of me see why it was bad enough not to get a grade 2 or 3 reckless charge. Referring it straight to the judiciary was unnecessary and the nrl worrying about their public image.

The facts are he essentially got slightly more than a grade 3 charge. Its not like i think hes been hard done by but if he got sent off i reckon he would have just been hit with a grade 2 or 3 reckless.

Still when it got sent straight to the judiciary i was expecting a much worse punishment so on that end its a decent result. Its only a week longer than i think the tackle probably deserved which is a decent result when you knockout one of the nrls biggest stars and there is a media controversy about the tackle
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow this thread is amazing.

FTR I think 5 weeks is what it probably deserves but, I long for the day that the NRL shows a shred of consistency with anything it does. Anything. That is always the issue with this organisation. Fans from all clubs point at different incidents and compare the penalty/ies received. That is surely an area that needs to be completely overhauled and fixed before anybody can take any of this seriously. It shouldn't matter what game it is or who you are or who you play for or who the recipient of foul play is, if you strike somebody in the head there should be a set penalty for it. Maybe there already is but clearly the MRC, Judiciary and the NRL are not on the same page with it, hell they're not even reading from the same **** book. The NRL lurches from one knee jerk reaction to the next instead of having any sort of strategic thinking or any vision on how to fix any of the codes issues.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

5 weeks is reasonable, but the whole ordeal was a circus. Full credit to the judiciary, the managed to be professional despite the process rather than because of it.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Always going to be a suspension and at the end of the day the judiciary made what seems to be a reasonable call despite the hysteria. The only thing is I'm not convinced it is inline with many previous incidents - some have been highlighted here that are reasonable examples with lighter penalties.
I would like to know why it was referred directly to judiciary when it didn't meet the criteria for a direct referral ? Who made that decision?
I would also like to know if the NRL will now enforce their own rules regarding players and officials not commentating on tackles before the MRC or Judiciary?
What is the point of having processes when they simple aren't followed? I do think more would have been made of these things if it was a more high profile club.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

yeh raiders wrote:

I wonder if they took into account that he was falling?
Hahahaha
I don't post facts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Notaroboticfish wrote:I just read on the DT website that Billy can't remember anything from the last two weeks because of the hit

Not even that brown paper bag full of cash......
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

5 weeks is about right imo.

The only positive...

He'll be back for the finals...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

That's what the Storm are claiming. Unconscious for 2-3 minutes, amnesia, etc, etc. Yet he was not taken to the hospital, and we know Calvary is a literal stone's throw from the stadium, no scans, and he even flew home the next day.

Smelling some serious BS with this one. I don't doubt that he was unconscious, but the rest seems very much a put-on.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

How many people did he knock out that took no further part in the game and can't remember the last two weeks because of it?
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Even then not sure what it has to do with getting hit late and high and being knocked unconscious.