Halfback market

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Halfback market

Post by raider 86 »

Jackson Hastings worth a shot? Probably has learnt a lot training with DCE and Green this year..
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

Jackson Hastings worth a shot? Probably has learnt a lot training with DCE and Green this year..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hastings comes with a lot of baggage off the park
Think that'll scare most teams off tbh

He hasn't really shown much as FG level either. That said he definitely has some talent so if you take the darts at a dartboard approach...
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Kryptonite wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
julian87 wrote:Kelly's worth the punt IMO
As in Albert Kelly ?

I'd be more than happy with that.

On a side note him and Sezer combined reasonably well at the Titans
Albert Kelly, really? What about throwing the bank at Ashley Taylor or Kane Elgy?
Ash Taylor returning to the Broncos is as certain as the sun coming up in the morning imo.

From what I have seen of Elgy and can remember from Kelly they are much of a muchness really - either one would be an upgrade for us but neither are players you "throw the bank at"
I'm not keen on Maloney, I don't think he would perform under Stuart, then again I'm not sure what Half would, Stuart is a half back killer
Lucky he plays Five Eight then Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

raider 86 wrote:Jackson Hastings worth a shot? Probably has learnt a lot training with DCE and Green this year..
Mate the players aren't getting along now imagine bringing the arrogant Hastings into our squad. No thanks!

In Ricky We Trust
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Mbiec »

Only player the Raiders should consider shedding one of their halves for is James Maloney. ): is a winner and every team he's played with his made the grand final.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Should be on the phone to Maloney if there's any chance the rumours of Austin are true.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Time to put some money on a big name I'd say. Still, the squad has far more problems than 1 halfback at the moment.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Geez people have a short memory. We came 2nd last year.

Ok this year has gone to plan, but squad wise we are in the best shape in years.

The only thing that needs to change is the current attitude of the squad. Successful teams like the storm have high standards. I dare say some of our boys need to stop playing golf and get into the gym for some hard work if our fortunes are going to change.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

deanoman wrote:Geez people have a short memory. We came 2nd last year.

Ok this year has gone to plan, but squad wise we are in the best shape in years.

The only thing that needs to change is the current attitude of the squad. Successful teams like the storm have high standards. I dare say some of our boys need to stop playing golf and get into the gym for some hard work if our fortunes are going to change.
That's the point isn't it. 2nd last year to looking like we have never played together. A flash in the pan season it appears. I think people are rightly making the assumption that individuals who aren't able to play consistently at this level might not be worthy of keeping their jobs as professional football players!

As to attitude that's on the coach and the players. But sadly I think it is more than attitude. A short burst of form from some players just papered over the weakness of others.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I would not want to play guts out of position. If we hot maloney it would be at 5/8 not 1/2. But that does not solve the problem with Sezer. If Sezer wants to stay Id put him at 5/8 where he did so well at Titans. Put hodgo at 1/2, Sezer to 5/8, Cotric to Fullback. Austin out and Wighton to lock. Anyone to left wing.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

woppadingo wrote:I would not want to play guts out of position. If we hot maloney it would be at 5/8 not 1/2. But that does not solve the problem with Sezer. If Sezer wants to stay Id put him at 5/8 where he did so well at Titans. Put hodgo at 1/2, Sezer to 5/8, Cotric to Fullback. Austin out and Wighton to lock. Anyone to left wing.
You wouldn't play guys out of position then advocated moving 2 guys out of position (Hodgo and Wighton)?
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

You guys are flat out kidding if you think Sezer should play five eight. He has made one line break all year. He has no passing or kicking skills. He's absolute garbage in every facet of the game. Stop kidding yourselves, a change in position won't save Sezer, he's not even up to park footy standard. I'd give Austin one more season to rediscover his form, I feel with a competent half back he'd be a lot more effective. I don't believe the Austin hates Canberra like some have speculated, maybe his missus but Austin is too much of a champion bloke to bag the city in front of strangers.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Our 17 is reasonable but our squad really isn't that good. We have 1 Origin player and players 15 to 30 are arguably the worst in the competition and definitely in the bottom 3.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Who was the target of rusty's rants before Sezer?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote:Who was the target of rusty's rants before Sezer?
A quick search on his posts reveals it was Jack Wighton. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hodgsons next

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:

That's the point isn't it. 2nd last year to looking like we have never played together. A flash in the pan season it appears. I think people are rightly making the assumption that individuals who aren't able to play consistently at this level might not be worthy of keeping their jobs as professional football players!

As to attitude that's on the coach and the players. But sadly I think it is more than attitude. A short burst of form from some players just papered over the weakness of others.
Look it's frustrating I know. Last year we were hot this year we are not.

But the answer isn't getting new players, it's getting the boys up for the next game.

What I want to see change is not the boys playing golf on Instagram but hitting Personal best at the gym
5waggy_dee
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Halfback market

Post by 5waggy_dee »

I see Maloney and Hodkinson are both off contracts in 2018. Would be good if we can EDIT get them. I feel they would both complement each other. Maloney a running 5/8 and Hodkinson an organiser. Doubt Hodkinson is even worth much now so might be feasible
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I'd take Maloney but that's about it

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hodgkinson. :doubt:

They guy who's been stinking it up at halfback for the worse team in the NRL over the past 2 years. Got dropped to NSW Cup then recalled last week and he stunk it up again. He has gone backwards at light speed this last few years. I'd rather stick with Sezer/Austin than try and dredge him up. For all the criticism of Sam Williams he too would be a better option. If we wanted a Newcastle half then Feeney the only one I'd consider.

The list is short and simple. Maloney is the only top level talent we have any chance to recruit.

Jarryd Hayne re-signing with the Titans may force them to let go of Elgey or Taylor. Both have a big upside. Tyrone Roberts also off contract but he's not going to be a silver bullet for us.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Brock Lamb would be a better choice than Hodkinson.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Re: Hodkinson: Any halfback that can't make the Knights first grade side is not the answer to our problems.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
rusty83
Peter Jackson

Post by rusty83 »

Hodkinson doenst have to be good. He just has to be not as terrible as Sezer, which is not hard to do. Admittedly i havnet watched him play much, does anybody know if he can kick field goals and force repeat sets? If he can do either of these things he would be a massive improvement on Sezer. We would get him cheaply too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

rusty83 wrote:Hodkinson doenst have to be good. He just has to be not as terrible as Sezer, which is not hard to do. Admittedly i havnet watched him play much, does anybody know if he can kick field goals and force repeat sets? If he can do either of these things he would be a massive improvement on Sezer. We would get him cheaply too.
Obviously :lol:
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I would like Hodkinson if he was able to walk, and wasn't genuinely worse than anything our two halves have put out this year

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Classic Rusty isn't it?
rusty83
Peter Jackson

Post by rusty83 »

What about classic Pigman? "Aidan Sezer has terrfic passing, kicking, game management and is one of the best defensive halves in the comp"
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You're advocating signing a guy who:

1) got dropped from the worst side in NRL history
2) knee is completely and totally shot to bits and may not even pass a physical
3) you admit you haven't even watched play

What ever you think of Sezer or Austin, if you'd seen Hodkinson play even a game of footy this year you'd know he absolutely categorically leaves them for dead in the stink department
Botman
Mal Meninga

Halfback market

Post by Botman »

Even if you think Aiden Sezer is the worst player to ever grace an NRL football field and that Hodkinson is better than him even on one leg, if you had watched him play in 2017, even once, you can't possibly believe he can part of a successful nrl football team :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hodkinson played last weekend in firsts and got publicly panned by the coach for his game. He was terrible.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've seen hodko in 8 games this year, he's better than lachlan croker but I'd have GE in my side before either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote:I've seen hodko in 8 games this year, he's better than lachlan croker but I'd have GE in my side before either.

Ajfhdhaga and his 20 metre spirals before Hodko all day, every day!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

let's not quantam leap GE to Affamattaffa

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Do we know if aftgagdgdhsha is an actual person, or are they a Trump-esk anti sezer propaganda bot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk