Ricky Stuart

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Re: Stand down Stuart

Post by scotchberry »

It appears to me that Stuart just doesn't watch any videos of our opposition and create any sort of game plan or tactics for the upcoming round and instead he sits in the press conference whinging about how coaches have actually done their homework and come up with solid tactics against us - he cries constantly that it's not fair that other coaches are doing their job properly.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Now that the season is officially over is it possible that Ricky could use the remaining games to experiment with new combinations and positional changes. I know Wighton is the best FB in the comp (in RS's mind) but just maybe a run in the centres could make him an even greater player. Fat chance; Ricky is the most stubborn dogmatic coach in RL and what we'll get is more of the same unless someone in the Club steps in.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The club needs a clean-out. Not a few positional changes now that the season is over.
Green Bay
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Green Bay »

I wanna know who out of all you losers would have the guys to tell Stuart and the players to their face or are u just keyboard warriors who know nothing about football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Bay
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Green Bay »

Northern Raider wrote:
-PJ- wrote:What's mind boggling to me is this exact same squad finished 2nd last year.

Fair dink Ricky...what's doin ?
Last year we had Edrick on the wing. This year we have Cotric. Could argue its a better squad.
We don't have the same team we may have the majority of the 17 but look at depth we lost

1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn

Splade
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Splade »

I think the frustration we are seeing in the press conference and through the players regarding the refs is stemming from the ruck interpretations. Sure the odd howler happens to every team but I can't remember too many this year which are that bad.

Last year we won a lot of penalties through hard play through the middle and teams not containing the big guys. We got a hell of a lot of legs up field last year which gave us momentum and things built from there. I get the feeling the refs have decided in the off season that a lot of that was through milking though and those penalties are not coming through this season.

Teams have figured out pretty easily that they can lie all over us in the ruck because we flail around and fall over and the refs just say milking and don't blow the whistle. Some of these are milked (like every team in the comp does), but we are now not getting a lot of black and white penalties because refs are playing in the grey and deciding if we are acting or if the opposition is slowing us down.

Sure there are plenty of other factors in there as to why it's been such a horror season (completion ect), but I'd suggest this is where a large portion on the internal frustrations are coming from.

Sticky may not be going about it the right way, but I get the frustration with the officials.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good first post!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Green Bay wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
-PJ- wrote:What's mind boggling to me is this exact same squad finished 2nd last year.

Last year we had Edrick on the wing. This year we have Cotric. Could argue its a better squad.
We don't have the same team we may have the majority of the 17 but look at depth we lost

1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn

Aside from the "competition for spots" aspect, we are really only missing Vaughan out of that bunch. The others are depth only.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Finchy wrote:
Green Bay wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn

Aside from the "competition for spots" aspect, we are really only missing Vaughan out of that bunch. The others are depth only.

Depth is pretty important if you talk about squad strength. I mean last year that group of players still had 50 appearances between them for us. So they had an effect on our season and that was a season we were very lucky with injuries.

Have a look at players 17 to 30 for us now:
Naden, Ottio, Oldfield, Aiono, Clark, Croker, Priest, Lui, Lima, Hunt, Sorensen, Knight, Cullen

That's utterly awful
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

Splade wrote:I think the frustration we are seeing in the press conference and through the players regarding the refs is stemming from the ruck interpretations. Sure the odd howler happens to every team but I can't remember too many this year which are that bad.

Last year we won a lot of penalties through hard play through the middle and teams not containing the big guys. We got a hell of a lot of legs up field last year which gave us momentum and things built from there. I get the feeling the refs have decided in the off season that a lot of that was through milking though and those penalties are not coming through this season.

Teams have figured out pretty easily that they can lie all over us in the ruck because we flail around and fall over and the refs just say milking and don't blow the whistle. Some of these are milked (like every team in the comp does), but we are now not getting a lot of black and white penalties because refs are playing in the grey and deciding if we are acting or if the opposition is slowing us down.

Sure there are plenty of other factors in there as to why it's been such a horror season (completion ect), but I'd suggest this is where a large portion on the internal frustrations are coming from.

Sticky may not be going about it the right way, but I get the frustration with the officials.
Agreed however there is absolutely no consistency in the rulings. I know we all watch through green glasses but it almost seems like the opposition are getting an extra few seconds to slow down our play the balls. Then as soon as a Canberra player takes as little as a second longer, they blow the penalty.
I think our intensity in defence has been pretty good the last few weeks but teams have been given easy piggy back penalties from some pretty harsh play the ball calls against us.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Green Bay wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn

Not my problem...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hasler in trouble, maybe he and Sticky can swap?
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

sprintman wrote:Hasler in trouble, maybe he and Sticky can swap?
And get another coach who refuses to change their game plan even though it clearly isn't working?

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Our defence puts no pressure on any team. We let packs that are much smaller than ours make huge metres up the park. Even Newcastle ****
Multiple times each set we leave a player on the ground behind the play the ball, sometimes two. What follows is the next hit-up going 10m before he even hits the defence. It's chaotic. Shaun Fensom making 15+m hitups! Nate Myles makes 138m against us - the only time he has cracked 100!

Opposition halves have a field day putting in attacking kicks after their set started inside their own 20. We are unable to maintain any control over a game and play field position, because we cannot keep teams in their own half.

We rely on individual acts of brilliance to stay in/or win games. With key members of the spine regressing we just aren't coming up with the plays.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Green Bay wrote:I wanna know who out of all you losers would have the guys to tell Stuart and the players to their face or are u just keyboard warriors who know nothing about football

I'll put my hand up and say I certainly would ask them to their faces if I had the opportunity to do so.

I would love to hear their reasonings behind my questions regarding topics that include: no line speed, why don't we put pressure on the oppositions kicker, reasons for constantly only playing 16 men, why do we kick on the 3rd tackle inside the oppositions 20 when none of our players except the kicker know that the kick is coming, why do we complete at less than 70% and behind on the scoreboard but SuperCoach is happy with how we played ?

You say people on here don't know anything about football, then in that case if that's your opinion then bring it on - let me at the players and coach and they can educate me about my questions and concerns. Maybe since you are an expert you can answer these questions for me ?

Why on earth would I need guts to ask that to their faces ?

I'm confused with your statement.
Last edited by scotchberry on July 24, 2017, 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Beejay wrote:Our defence puts no pressure on any team. We let packs that are much smaller than ours make huge metres up the park. Even Newcastle ****
Multiple times each set we leave a player on the ground behind the play the ball, sometimes two. What follows is the next hit-up going 10m before he even hits the defence. It's chaotic. Shaun Fensom making 15+m hitups! Nate Myles makes 138m against us - the only time he has cracked 100!

Opposition halves have a field day putting in attacking kicks after their set started inside their own 20. We are unable to maintain any control over a game and play field position, because we cannot keep teams in their own half.

We rely on individual acts of brilliance to stay in/or win games. With key members of the spine regressing we just aren't coming up with the plays.
Pretty much absolutely spot on
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Beejay wrote:Our defence puts no pressure on any team. We let packs that are much smaller than ours make huge metres up the park. Even Newcastle ****

Very accurate. Good post.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

That is my biggest frustration while watching games this season and why it has not been rectified is even more frustrating.
I don't post facts
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Raidersfan wrote:

That is my biggest frustration while watching games this season and why it has not been rectified is even more frustrating.
Every game I see this I am more and more convinced that Ricky and the coaching staff don't do video review sessions ever
volleyman
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by volleyman »

Green Bay wrote:I wanna know who out of all you losers would have the guys to tell Stuart and the players to their face or are u just keyboard warriors who know nothing about football

It's funny how when the argument about the facts becomes absolutely inarguable, some people choose to play the man.

Why do you think we would be scared to tell Ricky our views?
He is just a bloke doing a job that isn't performing.
Happens in business all the time.
Is there some special privilege afforded to Ricky just because he is coach?
Nope.
I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. You can't prove anything.
Except we can. Except we did. And soon EVERYONE will know too.
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

Green Bay wrote: 1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn
Fensom and Vaughan? Worst halves pairing in the comp
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Big Jack wrote:
Green Bay wrote: 1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn
Fensom and Vaughan? Worst halves pairing in the comp
Probably take them over Austin and Sezer atm
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

volleyman wrote:

It's funny how when the argument about the facts becomes absolutely inarguable, some people choose to play the man.

Why do you think we would be scared to tell Ricky our views?
He is just a bloke doing a job that isn't performing.
Happens in business all the time.
Is there some special privilege afforded to Ricky just because he is coach?
Nope.
Me and every loser that pays their **** wages.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Pick it up or stink up some other club.
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Thinking about it we've only had half a season of quality football under Stuart in nearly 4 full seasons. He got a free pass in the first couple but overall the record is pretty damn poor.

No standing down this year as its his mess to fix. This time next year I won't be as forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Ricky Stuart

Post by Lucy »

I would happily tell Ricky to pack his bags. It's just unfortunate I don't have the power to make him listen.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Northern Raider wrote:Thinking about it we've only had half a season of quality football under Stuart in nearly 4 full seasons. He got a free pass in the first couple but overall the record is pretty damn poor.

No standing down this year as its his mess to fix. This time next year I won't be as forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In previous seasons one of my biggest gripes was seeing the players walk onto the field and not give 100%.

At least the last month of football I can see that the majority of players are giving their full effort and genuinely trying to win the game - however due to their general attitude that started in the pre-season and coming in underdone it seems the more they try the more desperate and frustrated they get and everything compounds and brakes down.

This coupled with our coaching staffs inability to identify and recognise anything through the season that we can improve on and put processes in place to improve our play but instead blame everyone and anything who doesn't have anything to do with our club has resulted in a complete mess.

Hopefully some lessons are learnt in the off season and things change for 2018.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Green Bay wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

1. E.lee
2. B. Lee
3. S. Williams
4. FPN
5. Lima
6. S. Fensom
7. P. Vaughn

Cotric is better than Edrick
There was no way we could've kept Brenko.
Same with Sammy
Fairly Poor Numbers left early season and it was clear to everyone he had to go
Unfair to Shaun to force him to stay
I'll give you Vaughan
Point is, whilst I agree we should have some depth and the fact that we don't have any is the coach's and Mullohand's fault, it's impossible to keep the same players of depth. You've got to keep a steady stream of players in and players leaving, something which the coaching staff have failed to do.
Losing those players would've been fine if they had been replaced. For some mystifying reason, they weren't and now we're here

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

It's tough to replace depth players of that ilk.

Out of those 7 players Lima was brought as a "washed up 34 yr old from England (all due respect to the man)" and B Lee was a junior who came through our ranks who couldn't get a regular start in the top grade. The other 5 players were all established 1st graders at our club who were eventually pushed into reserves by the emergence or recruitment of better players.

In order for us to get that depth again apart from having juniors come through is to buy better players than our top 17 and have them pushed to reserve grade. Unfortunately we are not like the Broncos who can sign a Benji Marshall or David Mead and tell them they will be back up for the year.

I'm still in the boat that the recruitment and squad management this year has been diabolical and unacceptable, and I can also understand that in the cases of Vaughan, Fensom and E Lee their salaries were most likely way to much on the salary cap to have stuck in reserve grade for long periods.

But signing players of those 7 qualities and experience for a price that fits in with depth is extremely hard.

FWITW I know people don't have much of an opinion of him. But Isaac John only 28 and having some first grade experience (including 1 test) if we had of given him a game this yr he probably would of busted his gut for one last chance and at the very least would off put a rocket up Austin/Sezer that their position isn't safe. He prob would of brought much more to the number 14 than what Clydesdale did as well.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

100% agree. "D" for the Raiders doesn't stand for Defence more like Diabolical. We are not a 'tough to beat' side because we have a soft defensive attitude. Every now and again we see a few in a tackle who drive the opposition back. But then we don't see it for 20 minutes. It has to be what we do each and every set. But that requires us to be fit. We don't seem to have the mental of physical fitness to deliver what is required. So we miss the finals this year. Very disappointing
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Honestly guys hypothetically speaking if we were to get
a new coach and someone realistic (so no Bellamy or Bennett) who would you want to see leading the Green Machine??

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

The most baffling thing about Ricky's coaching over the past three years has been his reluctance to change the side, regardless of results.
Fair enough at the end of last year when first grade went on a long winning run but in both 2015 and 2017 first grade has been ordinary while Mounties have been winning and still he hasn't made changes.
Quite apart from the quality FGers like Vaughan and Fensom who left for greener pastures, that's also why a lot of depth players - Kennedy, Barnett, Nicholls, etc - left the Raiders.
Those sort of guys are not superstars but they're better than the fringe players that are there now and they would be able to put real pressure on FG spots - not that Ricky would pick them anyway
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Yep, far too many protected species in this squad. Expect the same squad to be named barring injury and suspension.
Cannot remember the last time a player was dropped due to poor form. Seriously, can't even remember. Certainly hasn't happened in this disaster of a season.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

The Green Hornet wrote:Yep, far too many protected species in this squad. Expect the same squad to be named barring injury and suspension.
Cannot remember the last time a player was dropped due to poor form. Seriously, can't even remember. Certainly hasn't happened in this disaster of a season.
Last year was the last time and look what happened...

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

The Green Hornet wrote:Yep, far too many protected species in this squad. Expect the same squad to be named barring injury and suspension.
I'll take a stab in the dark and say Shaun Fensom last year (Vaughan I don't think was entirely on poor form) although Fensom was more past his used by date as being in bad form.