Aidan Sezer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Aidan Sezer

Post by greeneyed »

Both the halves were very good tonight I thought.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

We still kicked 3 or so 7 tackle sets between our kickers but in general, Sezer was pretty good again for the 3rd or 4th straight week I think. Some nice kicks, some really nice hands on that juggle to Wighton pass and his running game was threatening enough to keep them honest again. Solid D as usual.

Austin seemed to do a lot more kicking but they linked up ok.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

The only problem in that game was the 5th tackle kicks. But it just goes to show if you can do the rest of it right, things like that will have less of an impact against most teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Both the halves were very good tonight I thought.
Interesting that they were both popping up on either side of the field, too, and linked up a couple of times.

We look a much better team with less structured halves play.

But let's call a spade a spade - the forwards won it in the middle tonight and gave the halves room to play. This has not often been the case in 2017.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Spot on. The game was won and lost in the middle, no question whatsoever. Helped immensely by the fact we held onto the ball.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

T_R wrote:
Interesting that they were both popping up on either side of the field, too, and linked up a couple of times.

But let's call a spade a spade - the forwards won it in the middle tonight and gave the halves room to play. This has not often been the case in 2017.
It's a simple formula that we have struggled to execute this season for some reason

High completion rate + Go forward / leg drive and quick play the ball = Hodgo, Sezer and Austin the ability to do thier thing

Last night was the the first time in a long time the team have done that and they looked like a different side
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote:

...and a lot of that credit needs to go to Hodgo out of dummy half. He seemed focussed on getting the roll on rather than trying to create plays all the time. More decisive with his first move and hit the forwards in stride. His service was back to his best.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

T_R wrote:

Yep agree with all of that totally.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

T_R wrote:

It's sad that it's taken all year for it to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote:

...and a lot of that credit needs to go to Hodgo out of dummy half. He seemed focussed on getting the roll on rather than trying to create plays all the time. More decisive with his first move and hit the forwards in stride. His service was back to his best.
Agreed, everyone got their act together and suddenly things were happening.

Sezer and Austin were creating some really interesting shapes at times too, I'll be curious to see how that continues.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

And it all came off the back of completing their **** sets and doing the hard work, which in turn leads to tries

It's not rocket surgery, I just can't believe it's taken until now for the team to work it out

More of the same next week, please lads
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:And it all came off the back of completing their **** sets and doing the hard work, which in turn leads to tries

It's not rocket surgery, I just can't believe it's taken until now for the team to work it out

More of the same next week, please lads
Is it perhaps brain science, though?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

raiderskater wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote:

Sezer and Austin were creating some really interesting shapes at times too, I'll be curious to see how that continues.
Maybe Ricky got the players in the right positions.

But u also have to factor in that the Sharks have dropped a ciuple of games recently - in no way diminishing the win.
Also, any team that wins the forwards battle will allow the halves to perform better, enable a better structured attack, and a higher completion rate.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

John Sutton is not part of a Premiership winning halves combo.

Reynolds and Keary were Souths halves in 2014
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

I thought Sezer was average against the Sharks. Still playing too much before the line and too structured. He needs to play what's in front of him and take the line on more. He wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't his best game in recent times. The forwards won us this battle and quite comfortably. Paulo, Boyd and Whitehead were immense against the Sharks. Hodgson finally found his 2016 form. Might be too late though...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

legend wrote:I thought Sezer was average against the Sharks. Still playing too much before the line and too structured. He needs to play what's in front of him and take the line on more. He wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't his best game in recent times. The forwards won us this battle and quite comfortably. Paulo, Boyd and Whitehead were immense against the Sharks. Hodgson finally found his 2016 form. Might be too late though...
I agree. I congratulated Sezer for three good games in a row (including pretty much single handedly winning us the Dragons game) but he was below average against the Sharks.

I do think his defensive reads have helped BJ out since moving to the right however.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

legend wrote:I thought Sezer was average against the Sharks. Still playing too much before the line and too structured. He needs to play what's in front of him and take the line on more. He wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't his best game in recent times. The forwards won us this battle and quite comfortably. Paulo, Boyd and Whitehead were immense against the Sharks. Hodgson finally found his 2016 form. Might be too late though...
Your right about the forwards, but I think you are being pretty harsh on Sezer. He wasn't required to do much. It was the Hodgson show against the Sharks. Id also say, that it was the first time in a few weeks that Austin imposed himself on the contest. Sezer has carried us the last 3 wks, it was time the other 2 pulled their weight.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

Completely agree. Austin and Hodgson showed up and brought their A game against the Sharks. Sezer could have done more but I'm not going to crucify him as the other two stepped in and played well. On to the Warriors...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

legend wrote:Completely agree. Austin and Hodgson showed up and brought their A game against the Sharks. Sezer could have done more but I'm not going to crucify him as the other two stepped in and played well. On to the Warriors...
Ill wait for this version of events on the Podcast this week :lol:
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned I n here, but it was reported in the SMH on Sunday the Sharks are looking at Sezer as a replacement for Maloney.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

DJ89 wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned I n here, but it was reported in the SMH on Sunday the Sharks are looking at Sezer as a replacement for Maloney.
That would be the swap of the century.

Sharks get Edrick, Clydesdale, Sezer, we get Maloney - maybe fanciful, but I'd take that any day.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

DJ89 wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned I n here, but it was reported in the SMH on Sunday the Sharks are looking at Sezer as a replacement for Maloney.
Ugh, that sucks if true :(
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote:
That would be the swap of the century.

Sharks get Edrick, Clydesdale, Sezer, we get Maloney - maybe fanciful, but I'd take that any day.
In that scenario Maloney would be going to the Storm to replace Cronk or to Newcastle. We would have to find a halfback.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Who will give me odds that Sam Williams will be starting #7 in 2018?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:Who will give me odds that Sam Williams will be starting #7 in 2018?

Kieran Foran
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'll give you odds
$1.05

$100 maximum bet
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Wasn't Maloney on the footy show on Thursday saying he is playing for the Sharks next season no doubt?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:

I'll give you odds
$1.05

$100 maximum bet
What if he's leading by 12 or more at half time and scores at any point in the match?

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You get 20% of in bonus bets*

*20% is on profits only
Bonus bets can not be cashed in, and must be used in hotdog eating contest wagers within 12 hours of being placed into the account
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Spunds fair. I'll remortgage the house.

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Sezer did his job. He didn't stand out because Hodgo dominated on the back of the forwards and Austin was strong.

I like this. I like the idea that our next opponent doesn't know which guy they need to focus on. That was one of the things about last year, a team would condense to stop our big units which only led to Leipana destroying them. They would try to stop Leipana so Papa and Croker would score a bagful.

Our versatility and unpredictability are our strengths. I'm hoping this is the start of us channeling that.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pigman wrote:You get 20% of in bonus bets*

*20% is on profits only
Bonus bets can not be cashed in, and must be used in hotdog eating contest wagers within 12 hours of being placed into the account
Jaaaaameeee Rogers from PenwiffTAB

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm going to be really upset if we lose Sezer
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

woppadingo wrote:
raiderskater wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote:

Maybe Ricky got the players in the right positions.

But u also have to factor in that the Sharks have dropped a ciuple of games recently - in no way diminishing the win.
Also, any team that wins the forwards battle will allow the halves to perform better, enable a better structured attack, and a higher completion rate.
On NRL 360 (Monday) it was pointed out that Hodgson touched the ball more often than either half and took control. Just like 2016.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

That stat about the number of touches for Hodgson vs previous weeks needs to be put into context. Baptiste played 44 mins vs Bunnies and 52 mins vs Storm at dummy half. Against the Sharks he only played 11 mins. Thats a lot more time for Hodgo at dummy half which is why he touched the ball more.

It was the quality of Hodgo's work that was the difference. Not the quantity.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.