Ricky Stuart extended to end 2020 as Canberra Raiders coach

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart extended to end 2020 as Canberra Raiders coach

Post by greeneyed »

Radio Canberra's Tim Gavel says the announcement that Ricky Stuart has been extended to end 2020 as Canberra Raiders coach will be made at 11am today.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ricky Stuart extended to end 2020 as Canberra Raiders co

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Will be interesting to see how the players and fans respond on Saturday night.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

In Ricky We Trust
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Hmm. I wouldn't have gone that long but a few wins would probably change my mind

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Well Rick, time to dip into that bag of tricks.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

One trick pony unfortunately.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Completely unnecessary, undeserved and a massively expensive golden parachute if we continue along the same path we're currently on.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we are trying to extend or sign players until 2020 than we need a coach in place. Whether he actually sees out the contract is down to his performance.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart re-signs with the Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have received a huge boost heading into the second half of the season, with Head Coach Ricky Stuart re-signing with the club until the end of the 2020 season.

The new deal is a two-year extension on his current contract with the Raiders and will extend his tenure as Head Coach to seven seasons since taking over the position at the beginning of the 2014 season.

Canberra Raiders Chairman Dr Allan Hawke said the re-signing of Stuart as Head Coach was a significant moment for the club and would provide stability for the whole organization moving into the next three years.

“The Raiders board met recently to discuss extending Ricky’s current contract and we’re delighted to announce that we voted unanimously to extend his contract until the end of the 2020 season,” Dr Hawke said. “Ricky has developed a wonderful culture in the club since arriving as Head Coach and has helped the team become a more consistent and competitive team.

“Re-Signing Ricky as Head Coach gives us stability and will also assist in the continuation of re-signing our playing group into the future which we’ve already commenced.”

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart said it was an honour to coach the Raiders and said the club would continue to strive for success into the future.

“When I first arrived at the club I mentioned that it was a privilege to have the opportunity to coach the Raiders and I feel still that today,” he said. “I’m encouraged by the commitment and the drive for success we have in the club and we’ll continue to work hard to achieve the high standards we set for our club.”

“The club has a lot of stability at the moment which is very important and I’m confident we can continue to work through re-signing a number of players into the future.”

Canberra Raiders media

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart speaks about his contract extension: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/06/ ... _sign.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders extend coach Ricky Stuart's contract until end of 2020 NRL season

The Canberra Raiders have extended coach Ricky Stuart's contract until the end of the 2020 NRL season. Stuart was coming off contract at the end of 2018 but after the Raiders board met last month it is understood they agreed to green light an option in his contract to extend his tenure at the Green Machine for another two seasons.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... wtqrx.html
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Takes balls to announce this after the last 2 minutes of Raiders football
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The raiders have never been scared of public opinion when announcing contract extensions for a coach

I suspect this one is much safer than the ill fated Furner extension because if things go south, Stuart isn't going to be sacked and run out of town, he'll just move to a HQ role as football manager or what ever
So at least it won't be money down the drain
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Would love him to be football manager with some highly rated coach under him one day.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Right decision. Wrong timing too announce it.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

My heart is so broken from the last month of results that I can't enjoy anything at the moment.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Bit too early in my opinion, I want to see how we are traveling this time next year.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Given Ricky's background and work in the Canberra community, and his daughter, I'm sure a job for the future would have been discussed or at the very least mentioned.

He's tailor made to do a job like Gould.

You think of Penrith you think of Gould.

Same with Canberra and Ricky Stuart
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Just don't hire Anthony Griffin of stick moves to a Gus type role

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart is going to be coaching the Canberra Raiders for a bit longer yet

Ricky Stuart has been extended as Canberra Raiders coach to the end of 2020.

"Now we need to make that next step and turn into a consistent team that's playing semi-final football every year," Ricky Stuart said today. "We would much prefer to be in a better position than where we are but we're not, so we deal with it. If we keep working hard, the way they are, and making sure we're not taking any shortcuts in preparing for game day, then things will turn around, I've got no doubt about that."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... wtqrx.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Peter wrote:Right decision. Wrong timing too announce it.
For mine if it's the right decision, then the timing should be right too

If it's the wrong timing, then... :/

In spite of current form I think it's both the right decision and right time
Doesn't mean we can't sack/move him in 18 months time if it's all gone tits up
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'd like to think delivering such certainty to the coach and playing group will be the catalyst for change in the on field performance.

Thats my 'glass half full' take on it anyway.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Was there really any other option given Stick has hand picked the current roster over the last 3 yrs?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Kryptonite wrote:Was there really any other option given Stick has hand picked the current roster over the last 3 yrs?
Very true. They have backed Sticky to do the job and this extension was almost essential to support that. Worst case scenario that we miss finals this year then look like doing so again next year I'd be sure they have a contingency prepared for Sticky to move into a management role with the club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Ha ha ha "A board member brought it up and we all just said 'what a great idea'". How come I smell ex-Officio 'key 'observer' McIntyre here?

Coaches get sacked all the time. The establishment is guaranteeing the payout. Moving right along.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart signs on to stay with the Green Machine to end 2020

After taking the Raiders to within one game of the Grand Final, Ricky Stuart re-signs with the Raiders until 2020.

Audio: http://2cc.net.au/podcasts/8157-sticky- ... =hootsuite
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote:Ha ha ha "A board member brought it up and we all just said 'what a great idea'". How come I smell ex-Officio 'key 'observer' McIntyre here?

Coaches get sacked all the time. The establishment is guaranteeing the payout. Moving right along.
Yep, ensuring he's got a fat severance pay. I remember joking at the time that it wouldn't shock me if they inked Furner to a fat new year year extension right before they sacked him just so he was looked after
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

CJ42 wrote:Would love him to be football manager with some highly rated coach under him one day.

Bellamy surly wants a crack at his old club, that's the eventual dream when Bellamy needs a new challenge!

In Ricky We Trust
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote:
Woodgers wrote:Ha ha ha "A board member brought it up and we all just said 'what a great idea'". How come I smell ex-Officio 'key 'observer' McIntyre here?

Yep, ensuring he's got a fat severance pay. I remember joking at the time that it wouldn't shock me if they inked Furner to a fat new year year extension right before they sacked him just so he was looked after
I said the exact same thing but I wasn't joking.

It seems the club and affiliates aren't doing badly. I couldn't really give a rats what these blokes walk away with. I think Ricky has earned his money since we hired him as coach.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

One likely finals campaign in four season tells me he hasn't earned an extension. If it takes a 25% record of making the finals to earn an extension, then the club (and fans) are setting the bar pretty low.

We should have waited until the season was over before considering a new deal.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

David Furner fiasco all over again. If we beat the Donkeys this Sat I might have to reconsider but in the long term with Ricky's dogmatic coaching style, the Raiders are not going to make the finals this year or next.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

"He would have to lose 30 straight games if we were to sack him"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart and Josh Hodgson speak about the Canberra Raiders coach's contract extension... and the task ahead this season

Nine News Canberra reports Ricky Stuart's contract to coach the Green Machine has been extended until 2020.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/TheGHRaiders/p ... 8911447359
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

It's unprofessional and has a real stink of nepotism around it. This new deal ensures a significant financial windfall if Sticky can't turn things around and a lot of people are right to be cynical about the timing and the motivation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just to add a bit more balance to the debate... I fully support the decision to extend the coach. He's done a huge amount to turn the club around; he's re-engaged the community and I'm full of admiration for the work he does for charity. Now, certainly, some of the retention and recruitment decisions this year have not been good ones. And the club is struggling to win close games this season. But, if, say, there had been a few more victories in those close games... I'm certain there wouldn't be the number of critics we're seeing. And that can easily turn around in the space of a month.

The club is in the process of locking up players and looking at new recruits for next year. Stability is important, and knowing who the coach is, is important.

And we know the club has a long term view of Ricky Stuart's involvement in the club... and they've already planned for him to move into an off field role. He's such an influential figure in the world of rugby league, that can only be a good thing. There'll be a transition to a new coach at some point... who knows, that might happen before 2020. But either way there'll be no pay out. He will be with the Raiders long term.