Statistics[edit]
Ricky Stuart – Coaching Results by Season[18]
NRL Team
Sydney Roosters
Year Games Wins Draws Losses Win % Notes
2002 28 20 1 7 71% Won 2002 NRL Grand Final against New Zealand Warriors
2003 27 19 0 8 70% Lost 2003 NRL Grand Final against Penrith Panthers
2004 27 21 0 6 78% Lost 2004 NRL Grand Final against Bulldogs
2005 24 11 0 13 46% Finished 9th (out of 15)
2006 24 8 0 16 33% Finished 14th (out of 15)
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

2007 24 10 0 14 42% Finished 11th (out of 16)
2008 25 18 0 7 72% Lost Grand Final qualifier against Melbourne Storm
2009 24 5 0 19 21% Finished 15th (out of 16)

Parramatta Eels

2013 24 5 0 19 21% Finished 16th (out of 16)

Canberra Raiders

2014 24 8 0 16 33% Finished 15th (out of 16)
2015 24 10 0 14 42% Finished 10th (out of 16)
2016 27 19 1 7 70% Finished 2nd (out of 16). Lost Preliminary Final to Melbourne Storm.
Career 301 153 2 146 51%

He's had three years now and the team he wants. We won't make the finals this year. So that makes it one year out of 4 for finals football.

We haven't progressed as a team and gotten complacent. He is too chummy with the players.

Tactics - not fixing the right hand side defence, giving away games, playing Paulo as a 5/8. Then gets rid of Vaughan who is going great guns at St George, but puts faith in losers like Bateman and Priest. Always the same press conference.

Look what winner did last year - Flanagan replaced Townsend during a finals game against when he was ****. Stuart just sits there with his constipated look

I am sick of this **** every week. Time to go - **** off. Coach Newcastle or work for your charity full time.
Last edited by greeneyed on June 10, 2017, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not avoid the swearing filter. We don't allow any swearing on the site.
edwahu

Re: Is Ricky Stuart the right coach to take the Raiders forw

Post by edwahu »

Yes. Unless Bellamy wants to come.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

Nope. Six losses by six points or less and three in golden point.

One of the worst seasons ever for the raiders when you consider where we finished last season.

We are a disgrace and the team is in free fall.

Gutless ****.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The issue is defence. We score plenty of points. We fixed our defence second half of last year and went on a run to come second. Maybe we need Dean Pay back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:The issue is defence. We score plenty of points. We fixed our defence second half of last year and went on a run to come second. Maybe we need Dean Pay back.
He hasn't gone anywhere?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:The issue is defence. We score plenty of points. We fixed our defence second half of last year and went on a run to come second. Maybe we need Dean Pay back.
He hasn't gone anywhere?
Image Well, maybe he should then
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

It shouldn't even be a hard job to get THAT team up for 80 minutes of footy a week. The fact that Ricky can't is telling.

I like Ricky but something isn't right here.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

No he isn't. His ego prevents him from admitting when he has a problem. At every club he has ever coached, when things have started to go south he has doubled down and left those clubs in a far worse position than when he arrived.

We can't afford it. Record membership numbers, fans who drifted for years back on board. The good will the club earned through their best season in 20 years can't be wasted on a coach whose ignorance and arrogance is unsurpassed amongst RL coaches. Even if people want to give Sticky the lions share of credit for one good season in 4.

When Furner was the coach I criticised him for trying to turn players into something they weren't. For trying to get players to play a game that wasn't geared towards their individual strengths. This is exactly what Sticky is doing this year.

Paulo is an impact prop who should be used in stints of no more than 25 minutes. He becomes a liability when he is tired. Oppositions are exploiting his awful defence and Sticky's solution is to use him for longer each and every week.

Austin's strength is his running and his support play. He might have a big boot on him but he has no finesse or tactical smarts when it comes to his kicking and he doesn't look like he could organise a chook raffle. Too many times Austin is getting the ball on the 4th or 5th tackle when Sezer should be the man. This is coaching. If it wasn't coaching the coach would have nipped it in the bud 2 months ago.

I believe in strengths based coaching. Sticky isn't coaching to our strengths or the the players aren't following his directions. Either way he's responsible.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Of course he is. It's his team.

Most of these players wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Ricky.

Ricky as coach is going to be like a marriage.

For better or worse.

So far, it's been much better.

This season is a long way from done.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sleek the Elite wrote:
Actually, I'd say it's very, very close to done.

What's the equation that Sean and Steve were talking about last night on The GH Live (very, very worth watching, by the way) - 7/10 from here to make the 8, with Storm x 2, Broncs, Cronulla, a trip to NZ and other assorted grief along the way?

I'd say it's 5 minutes to midnight for 2017.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

As with the last thread, I think this one is 12 months too early
Given what we did last year, I'll happily give Stuart until about this time next year to right the ship

But one good season in 4 is sub optimal to say the least
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

edwahu wrote:Yes. Unless Bellamy wants to come.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Who knows. Probably too early to tell at this stage. As Pigman has alluded to, he has earned the right to more time. The biggest test has come for him, because he needs to quickly adapt and evolve an approach that's become figured out and stale. That to me is one of the truest test of a good coach.

If he isn't, that shouldn't detract from the fact that he's put us in a great position to contend, short of a better half, middle forward, and some outside back depth.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 11, 2017, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

Id give him one more season. If we dont make the semis next year its time to look for a replacement. Its nice to have good players but if you cant mobilise them into a consistent outift whats the point? Were a shadow of the team we were last year, despite the same playing the group, which points to the coach as the problem.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

haha 6 weeks ago after that League Life appearance everyone loved him. Look it's a fine line innit. We could soooo easy be on 18 points and entrenched in the 8. But Stick has made some indefensible decisions. I just can't defend the decision to let Vaughan go. It was a flat out mistake.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

T_R wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:

What's the equation that Sean and Steve were talking about last night on The GH Live (very, very worth watching, by the way) - 7/10 from here to make the 8, with Storm x 2, Broncs, Cronulla, a trip to NZ and other assorted grief along the way?

In the next four weeks we play the bye twice and two teams from the tropics in a Canberra winter.

Collect the maximum points from that and we're back on par with 8 weeks of the regular season left.

If we're good enough, we'll be there when it matters.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

Hazza wrote:haha 6 weeks ago after that League Life appearance everyone loved him. Look it's a fine line innit. We could soooo easy be on 18 points and entrenched in the 8. But Stick has made some indefensible decisions. I just can't defend the decision to let Vaughan go. It was a flat out mistake.
I'd say most of us love Sticky. But a huge portion of that is what he did as a player.
His record as a coach here is a problem.

I want the guy to succeed but I don't know if he is capable of changing. And he needs too.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:As with the last thread, I think this one is 12 months too early
Given what we did last year, I'll happily give Stuart until about this time next year to right the ship

To be fair it's one good season in 3 as his first was with Furner's team. He'll even 2015 was still possibly a rebuild write-off.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah... na
That's not going to cut it Greeny

No other coach is afforded that luxury
Botman
Mal Meninga

Is Ricky Stuart the right coach to take the Raiders forward

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:

I think it is over
We may rally from here and make the 8, probably not but maybe
Either way this team is cannon fodder for the Storm/Sharks/Roosters

We entered this season thinking the team could win a premiership. That was the goal
We are not winning the competition in 2017, so as far as that is concerned, it's over
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Improvement is the most critical and important KPIs for any coach in any league in any sport in the world.

Can someone who wants to give Sticky another 3 years (or even another year) please point to one area of our game we have shown continuous improvement in since he arrived?
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

2017 Canberra Raiders, first team in NRL history to win a premiership from outside the top four!
Ricky Stuart master coach, ok maybe not BUT
Put the pitch forks away, Stuart is here to stay and so is the current roster until at least the end of the 2020 season, so stop crying in your beers and cancelling your fox sports and thank sweet Jesus you are not living in Syria!
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Stuart has done more for this club than anyone in the last 20+ years. He has helped bring back crowds, he assembled one of the most talented squads in the comp against the odds and instilled a culture where players want to play for the club and stay in canberra.

I think Stuart was 100% right in that the other teams have figured us out and that is to nullify Hodgson. Let's be honest, he carried this team last year in terms of play making. He hasn't been anywhere near as effective this year and the halves haven't adjusted to having to take more of the load. The team also needs to learn to play for 80min and not clock off as soon as they are ahead on the scoreboard, that may just be an experience issue though cause I am pretty sure Stuart would drum that into them weekly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Improvement is the most critical and important KPIs for any coach in any league in any sport in the world.

Can someone who wants to give Sticky another 3 years (or even another year) please point to one area of our game we have shown continuous improvement in since he arrived?
Our wingers :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

I cant understand the fluctuations in performance levels. Even with Furner there were times when we looked unstoppable. Then the next season we were garbage again. The same trend is manifesting with Stuart. How much of it is coaching, and how much of it is other things like luck and player psychology? Perhaps this season is our baseline and last was an exception to the rule. Perhaps players like Elliot, Hodgson, Wighton, Austin, Boyd etc arent as good as we think they are and one or two seasons doenst make a summer. There were periods when players like Buttriss, Williams, Mccrone, Robinson etc all looked to be capable at this level but over time were exposed as out of their depth.

The major problem we have is depth imo. There is a lack of competition for spots and the incumbents think they are secure in their contracts and positions. If I were Stuart i would consider dropping Austin and another senior player for a game or two. That might snap the rest of the team out of their stupor and not take their selection for granted. Also I bet there are a lot of young players champing at the bit for a run and it wouldnt hurt to inject some much needed enthusiasm in the side.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

If we did get rid of Stuart, who is a replacement we'd look at?

In my lifetime as a Raider I reckon we've had one or two season we could defend. Can we look at getting a coach renowned for toughness and defence? Please GE!?
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

I know.. lets get rid of Stuart and go hire last year's Dally M Coach of the Year?
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

DJ89 wrote:If we did get rid of Stuart, who is a replacement we'd look at?

In my lifetime as a Raider I reckon we've had one or two season we could defend. Can we look at getting a coach renowned for toughness and defence? Please GE!?
I'm not sure I've got anything to do with it!
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I wonder if Cleary would drive his bus this way...

Nah. Look I really want Ricky to turn this around but I just don't know if he can.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote:

To be fair it's one good season in 3 as his first was with Furner's team. He'll even 2015 was still possibly a rebuild write-off.
Lol what a garbage post.

By that logic his first two seasons with the roosters should count and if you take them away his coaching record is **** horrendous.

IMO I dont know which way to go on him as a coach. He has built a strong team and he is very defensive of our players, maybe even to much so.

I would like to see how the season plays out before I comment, even with a hard draw it is still a possibility we go on a bit of a run and do some damage.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Lol what a garbage post.

By that logic his first two seasons with the roosters should count and if you take them away his coaching record is **** horrendous.

IMO I dont know which way to go on him as a coach. He has built a strong team and he is very defensive of our players, maybe even to much so.

I would like to see how the season plays out before I comment, even with a hard draw it is still a possibility we go on a bit of a run and do some damage.
You're a garbage post.

Straw man argument. I said nothing of his record with Roosters.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Aero wrote:I know.. lets get rid of Stuart and go hire last year's Dally M Coach of the Year?
Let's throw the bank at Geoff Toovey
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:
T_R wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:

I think it is over
We may rally from here and make the 8, probably not but maybe
Either way this team is cannon fodder for the Storm/Sharks/Roosters

We entered this season thinking the team could win a premiership. That was the goal
We are not winning the competition in 2017, so as far as that is concerned, it's over
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote:
papabear wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Lol what a garbage post.

You're a garbage post.

Straw man argument. I said nothing of his record with Roosters.
you are a garbager post.

if you dont count his first two seasons with the raiders because he didnt assemble that side.

The same logic applies for his first two seasons at the roosters.

Think really hard about it.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Improvement is the most critical and important KPIs for any coach in any league in any sport in the world.

Our attitude, we are competitive most weeks unlike before. We just don't execute well or have the players to polish off the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust