Eels 13+
11%

Total votes: 9

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2017 Rd 12 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by BadnMean »

Tapine looked good there on Saturday and as long as he keeps that form up he should stay there. He had some sting in his defence and remembered to charge onto the ball sometimes and crash into the line, instead of overdoing his stop, prop and palm trick (which slows our roll down sometimes- although I don't mind him using it off second phase or in the opposition red zone at all). He needs to be a starter soon in his career and I'd keep him there for now.

Sia hasn't done well consistently this year and with the relative lack of size and experience on our current bench he adds more value there. With Papa out for origin he'll probably start 2nd row though and hopefully does as well there as he has in the past.

Jees I'd love to see Taylor on that bench. Pretty undersized there right now, especially with Sia starting. Priest and Bateman at their best can just about hold their own with good defensive technique but this yer they've been caught lazy in cover and lost some oomph in general.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

IMO, if Taylor isnt on the bench, Tapine cant start. He is our impact player.

Bateman, Priest and Soliola play too similarly to have all 3 on the bench.

Now, Lui has been pretty handy the past 2 wks, but he shouldnt be ahead of Taylor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@caitlynchalmers on Twitter

Sia Soliola turns model to show off @RaidersCanberra jersey for this weekend supporting the Ricky Stuart Foundation.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^
Look don't get me wrong but all these different jumpers that we wear must confuse the hell out of players. I'm all in favour of supporting all sorts of good causes but I'd prefer that is limited to one or two games a year. There are other ways to make people aware and in fact donate .. last weeks Brain Cancer being a good example.

Between away games and special causes we very rarely wear our traditional green anymore.
I don't post facts
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Agree... it is getting a bit stupid even though the cause itself is worth supporting.

Anyway, I just hope we get a roll on now, we've been patchy for long enough. Will be curious to see if Baptiste comes back. I've given up on Dave Taylor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine: We want to build on last week

Canberra Raiders forward, Joe Tapine, says the team wants to build on last week's match against the Parramatta Eels.

"We'll build on what we worked on last week and what we did on the weekend," Tapine said. "We've got to keep getting better and not get too comfotable."

Video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/05/ ... to_bu.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine speak ahead of Origin and the Raiders' clash with the Roosters

WIN News Canberra reports Josh Papalii will fly the flag for the Raiders in State of Origin one, after being named to start for Queensland. The forward hopeful of making an impact in his seventh Origin appearance.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/TheGHRaiders/p ... 4510632359
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Huawei and Canberra Raiders to promote #AutismWellbeing

Canberra Raiders Major Sponsor Huawei has given up their place on the front of the Raiders jersey this weekend, to help promote the #AutismWellbeing message and raise funds for the Ricky Stuart Foundation.

The wonderful gesture by Huawei allows the Raiders to play their round 12 match against the Roosters at GIO Stadium with the #AutismWellbeing message on the front of the jersey, while raising money for the Ricky Stuart Foundation through an online auction of the game worn jerseys through http://www.allbids.com.au

The jerseys also hold special significance this weekend, as they feature artwork from two children Max and Jayden who attend and benefit from the Ricky Stuart House in Canberra.

Huawei Manager Corporate Relations and Programs, Lisa Connors, said Huawei was proud to give up their placement on the jersey this weekend, to promote a very important community message.

“This is the fourth-year Huawei has given up their placement on the front of the Raiders jersey and the second for the Ricky Stuart Foundation,” Ms Connors said. “Huawei and the Raiders are in the sixth year of their partnership and its more than the logo on the front of the jersey. It’s about aligning our values and engaging in a wonderful community activity.

“Beyond the fundraising for the Ricky Stuart Foundation we’re also proud to be displaying the very important #AutismWellbeing message.”

Canberra Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart said this week’s jersey highlighted the wonderful partnership between Huawei and the Raiders, while delivering and important message and raising funds for the Ricky Stuart Foundation.

“We’re a very fortunate club to have a Major Sponsor like Huawei who have some wonderful community focused values,” Stuart said. “Without their support, we wouldn’t be able to spread the important #AutismWellbeing message. They are a wonderful sponsor and we’re hoping to spread the message far and wide.

“The jerseys worn in the game will be auctioned through http://www.allbids.com.au with the money going towards the foundation to ensure the work we do for the local community can continue.”

Stuart thanked the wonderful efforts of both Max and Jayden for coming up with the design.

“I want to personally thank both Max and Jayden for coming up with their designs for the jerseys and I know the players can’t wait to run out with their drawings on their jerseys on Sunday.”

Canberra Raiders media
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Roosters

The Canberra Raiders have named their team for Sunday’s match against the Sydney Roosters at GIO Stadium.

Josh Papalii is unavailable for selection due to State of Origin, which sees Joe Tapine move into the starting side in the second row and Sia Soliola starting the game at lock. The only addition to the top 17 is Luke Bateman, who returns from a week off due to concussion.

NRL - CANBERRA RAIDERS V SYDNEY ROOSTERS
SUNDAY MAY 28, 4.00PM, GIO STADIUM

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Joe Tapine
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Sia Soliola

14. Adam Clydsdale
15. Luke Bateman
16. Clay Priest
17. Dunamis Lui

18. Dave Taylor
19. Scott Sorensen
20. Brent Naden
21. Lachlan Croker

Sydney Roosters

1. Michael Gordon
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Mitchell Aubusson
5. Joseph Manu
6. Connor Watson
7. Luke Keary
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Jake Friend (c)
10. Kane Evans
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Siosiua Taukeiaho
13. Zane Tetevano

14. Isaac Liu
15. Lindsay Collins
16. Chris Smith
17. Mitchell Cornish

18. Nat Butcher
19. Victor Radley
20. Eloni Vunakece
21. Brock Gray

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

edwahu

Re: 2017 Rd 12 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by edwahu »

Mitch Cornish to score a double. Lock it in.
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

What's the point in having Clydesdale in the team? I understand injury cover, but it's such a waste.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

That Roosters side 1-13 plus Lui at 14 is pretty damn handy.

Their other benchies are rookies but their opposites on our pine aren't much better this yr.

Roosters will come prepared and full of confidence - if the complacent Raiders turn up we will get done
Last edited by scotchberry on May 23, 2017, 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Anyone watch Mounties last week, was Baptiste that bad or low on fitness? Really need to get him and Taylor into the team ASAP IMO.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I am **** baffled as to the purpose of Dave Taylor.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

Can anyone get the inside word on why Taylor isn't getting picked?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

edwahu wrote:Mitch Cornish to score a double. Lock it in.
:lol: thinking the same when I read the team sheets.

All jokes aside I'd expect the Raiders to jump to a healthy lead once the interchange come on. Not too sure Cornish will play much part other than be a speed bump for Paulo.

The Roosters will be no push over, however if we're being serious, at home this one should be a lock otherwise we'll be pushing it uphill to grab 8th this year.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Mr. Snrub wrote:Can anyone get the inside word on why Taylor isn't getting picked?
PJ will ring Ricky or Dave himself and find out.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cornish is named for Wyong as well which is odd.

I reckon Vunakece will take his spot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

he will probably start the game at halfback, keary 5/8 and Connor Watson off the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to wear Ricky Stuart Foundation jersey in NRL clash against Sydney Roosters

The Canberra Raiders will wear a special jersey on Sunday designed by two young fans who benefit from the work the Ricky Stuart Foundation does for Canberrans.

"These are awesome jumpers, it's going to be great to wear them this weekend," Jack Wighton said. "A lot of it goes unseen what NRL players do in the community. It's always a bad story on the back of the newspapers and stuff like that. To put this on the field so everyone can see it's just one more tick for the NRL.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... wb6ae.html
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mr. Snrub wrote:What's the point in having Clydesdale in the team? I understand injury cover, but it's such a waste.
Sad to see no chance of Baptiste...

Even if he is no chance we should start naming him each week so our opponents don't know when he's coming back.

I'm now convinced that's the plan for Dave Taylor. Each week we always name him, never plays. Make the grand final, name him, BAM he plays! Surprise inclusion the other team is unprepared for. They drop their bundle and we are PREMIERS!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola backs Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker to play State of Origin

Consistency's almost a dirty word when talking about Jarrod Croker, but Canberra Raiders spiritual leader Sia Soliola backs his captain's performances to eventually knock the State of Origin door down.

"You know what Jarrod's like, he's not focused on that, he's focused on the Raiders and trying to improve week-in, week-out," he said. "One day it's going to turn for him, but he's always just been consistent - humble, steady and he's been a great captain for us as well.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... wb6fl.html
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We are clear favourites again.

Really think this side will show up this week, but, I also think Easts will show up. A win here really would put us back on the right track. Would be nice to see 15,000 or so at the ground.

When Papa comes back I would like to see Tapine come off the bench. Sia is the type of player you want to start the game; composed and experienced. Tapine coming on against a side that has been playing footy for 25 minutes or so can cause damage.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Anyone got a better photo of the jerseys? They look kinda cool

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It's a massive game. If we lose this week we're probably out of the running to finish top 4.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Someone head up to the top pub in Qbyan and ask big Dave **** is going on.

Or get him pissed and bet him $100 he can't beat you in a hopping race on his left leg- lose, then double or nothing on the other leg. We'll soon figure out if his calf is ok. I'll cover your losses.

PS. If he does get pissed, we may have also discovered the reason he isn't in FG.

Baptise being 1 game back from an achilles and playing an understrength Rooters I can love with. Achilles are awful.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Raidersfan wrote:^^^^
Look don't get me wrong but all these different jumpers that we wear must confuse the hell out of players. I'm all in favour of supporting all sorts of good causes but I'd prefer that is limited to one or two games a year. There are other ways to make people aware and in fact donate .. last weeks Brain Cancer being a good example.

Between away games and special causes we very rarely wear our traditional green anymore.
Yeah agree! Funnily enough we seem to play better in the traditional lime green home strip
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I'd be interested to know whether Taylor has kept up the attitude and intensity he reportedly showed in pre-season training in particular since his injury a few weeks back. I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky wanted to see a bit extra out of him to earn a spot given his history.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Credit to the Roosters for still being able to name a starting team that decent with 5 players out for Origin.

Looking at the benches, surely if you wanted to give Big Dave a simple task, even just 12 minutes a half of ripping up the middle against rookies this would be it.

We can't be complacent as people have already mentioned, this isn't an easy game despite them being depleted.

I'll be out there willing them to get back to back wins, it would be great to see a decent crowd.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CJ42 wrote:Anyone got a better photo of the jerseys? They look kinda cool

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 3134428161
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If we use our forwards as he's named them we're in trouble.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I wonder if Stuart has gotten cocky, thinking he can afford to ditch Vaughan, play Clydesdale, keep Dave Taylor waiting, etc. I mean at some point if you've got talent in the team, and you're the coach, you just have to find a way to get the best out of them
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

To what end Canberra Milk? For **** and giggles?
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Raidersfan wrote:^^^^

Aren't we going to be wearing our normal jersey for the next 14 rounds? How many different jerseys have we actually worn before now? Like 4? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk