We are in big trouble

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: We are in big trouble

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We're an unstructured team in attack - so we will always be inconsistent IMO. Our energy in defence seems to feed off how our attack is going on any given day. That was really, really bad today.

I wish we had consistent halves. I remember the first match against the Dogs last year - I really thought Sezer was going to be that half that steps up and guides us around the park. He isn't.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

greeneyed wrote:Jack Wighton is the least of the problems. How is changing the fullback going to change what's going on out there. The problem is the forwards and playmakers not playing direct and making metres in the middle. The Raiders did if for the first five or 10 minutes of the second half and they looked good. They stopped... and guess what?
It's not so much Jack being a problem as not having much in the way of centres to give BJ a rest. Who can we play at right centre currently?

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I thought last year we had finally hit the start of our premiership window. By gee I feel completely deflated at seeing that hope evaporate.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

CJR wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Jack Wighton is the least of the problems. How is changing the fullback going to change what's going on out there. The problem is the forwards and playmakers not playing direct and making metres in the middle. The Raiders did if for the first five or 10 minutes of the second half and they looked good. They stopped... and guess what?
It's not so much Jack being a problem as not having much in the way of centres to give BJ a rest. Who can we play at right centre currently?

Cotric could play there. I'd back his defense.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Azza wrote:I thought last year we had finally hit the start of our premiership window. By gee I feel completely deflated at seeing that hope evaporate.
I didn't buy into to it personally, I always maintained I don't think I'll sadly see the Raiders win another premiership in my lifetime, not in the current climate of the NRL business. We will have our moment like last year which I saviour and that's it.

Having said that I believe we blew a genuine chance last season. If Hodgson didn't go down vs Sharks I reckon we would of beaten them and at least made the GF.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Crocodile
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Crocodile »

edwahu wrote:
CJR wrote:

Cotric could play there. I'd back his defense.
Yep and we have a couple of wing options now to go next to Croker...

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can't give Joey a rest. He's a confidence player. You don't get him back into confidence mode by dropping him.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Question wrote:I don't care which one it is , one of these muppets needs to be released asap.
And replaced with who exactly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Brew wrote:
Azza wrote:I thought last year we had finally hit the start of our premiership window. By gee I feel completely deflated at seeing that hope evaporate.
I didn't buy into to it personally, I always maintained I don't think I'll sadly see the Raiders win another premiership in my lifetime, not in the current climate of the NRL business. We will have our moment like last year which I saviour and that's it.

Having said that I believe we blew a genuine chance last season. If Hodgson didn't go down vs Sharks I reckon we would of beaten them and at least made the GF.

I finally got around to watching that Sharks game. Our first 35 minutes was phenomenal. How we lost it from there I will never fully understand. So frustrating. I hope you're wrong about us winning another comp, but I understand it's hard to feel optimistic. And if you do win one (or get close) you seem to get penalised in ensuing years by the farcical way the salary cap is administered.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Last yr was our premiership window imo...Looks like it has well and truely shut.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote:
Brew wrote:

I finally got around to watching that Sharks game. Our first 35 minutes was phenomenal. How we lost it from there I will never fully understand. So frustrating. I hope you're wrong about us winning another comp, but I understand it's hard to feel optimistic. And if you do win one (or get close) you seem to get penalised in ensuing years by the farcical way the salary cap is administered.
I could die without ever seeing another Raiders premiership. This is how depressed I am tonight.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes, you're not the only one. Let's all get on the drink. So sad. Our recruitment since last year has been abominable.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:
Azza wrote:
Brew wrote:

I could die without ever seeing another Raiders premiership. This is how depressed I am tonight.

In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

What's even worse is we seem to be one of the few clubs being active in the player market. Heck even the bloody Roosters are buying two Origin players for next season and they are 3rd.

In Ricky We Trust
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Up until last year it seemed our recruitment had improved.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

It seems like there is a rooftop cruiser drink incident just around the corner.
It's like a different team from last. Very stupid plays.
Another difference this year is the fat toughie is and around the team
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

The fact that Soliola post game stated "...things are different for us this year in which we can't surprise teams etc".... - that spells trouble.

We just got flogged by the worst sporting team in Australian professional hx since the Sydney Swans of the early 90's after coming off a break and 2 straight loses to (most likely) bottom 8 sides - spells trouble.

I was pissed off enough that Ricky went on in the press conference about how we are learning etc and now our most senior player reinforcing these comments -

Soming is seriously delusional about this squad at the moment if they are putting today's game down to a learning experience -

Sadly without depth we are quickly sliding back into the culture that existed in the Furner years
Last edited by scotchberry on May 14, 2017, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Junior wrote:It seems like there is a rooftop cruiser drink incident just around the corner.
It's like BJ has just decided to throw the towel in once it became apparent he wasn't getting selected for Aus or NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree scotchberry. Just posted something to that effect in the game day thread. Not happy with those comments...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Also agree. It's all well and good having a beautiful family love in when we are doing well, but right now a few guys in that team deserve a rocket - and that's just as much a part of family life as well. Ricky needs to show some fire towards these blokes.

With no depth, they aren't hungry to keep their spots. I thought the drive of wanting to go further than last year may push them, but since the Warriors game where I thought we were very professional it has all quickly gone downhill.

Bellamy manages to keep Melbourne performing year in, year out... I know he has some great players, but he knows how to get the best out his players and keep them hungry. Ricky needs to find the same here.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

scotchberry wrote:
Junior wrote:It seems like there is a rooftop cruiser drink incident just around the corner.
It's like BJ has just decided to throw the towel in once it became apparent he wasn't getting selected for Aus or NSW
He is just an erratic player by nature. He was awesome at the Knights when he first joined them but fell away over time. Hopefully he can turn his fortune around next week.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Junior »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
He is just an erratic player by nature. He was awesome at the Knights when he first joined them but fell away over time. Hopefully he can turn his fortune around next week.
It all seems wrong. Like it's more then the players not putting in on game day.
I hope I'm wrong.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
BJ is the most erratically emotional player I have ever seen and by some margin. I swear he was pulling a full sulk face on his last run.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

scotchberry wrote:
Yep that's exactly what I was thinking today... his game has gone south since then, very quickly
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

greeneyed wrote:You can't give Joey a rest. He's a confidence player. You don't get him back into confidence mode by dropping him.

This

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

edwahu wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
The last run where he was just standing in the tackle lifeless?

BJ is the most erratically emotional player I have ever seen and by some margin. I swear he was pulling a full sulk face on his last run.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

scotchberry wrote:
Crap. How do you explain his form at the back end of last year? He's just horribly out of form. He's an enigma. He's white hot or ice cold there's no in between. Also he's getting next to no early ball. Anyone would struggle playing outside Austin, the bloke refuses to pass the ball
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Azza wrote:After the losses we've had recently we don't deserve to win the comp, let alone finish in the top 4.
Don't worry. We won't. I'm doubting at the moment we'll even make the 8.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hazza wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
Crap. How do you explain his form at the back end of last year? He's just horribly out of form. He's an enigma. He's white hot or ice cold there's no in between. Also he's getting next to no early ball. Anyone would struggle playing outside Austin, the bloke refuses to pass the ball
??? Not sure if serious... Austin had the least runs of any player on the field... ???
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

BadnMean wrote:
Hazza wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
??? Not sure if serious... Austin had the least runs of any player on the field... ???
Ha! I meant refused to pass it to BJ. He kept turning it inside to Paulo or Whitehead.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

edwahu wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
Yes that last run he did was odd

On Wighton to centre, I don't see it as such as a big deal. He's talented and versatile enough a la Munster who's played like four positions this year. Ricky has got him really emotionally invested in fullback and I'm not really sure why

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Brew wrote:We have not made the finals 2 years in a row since 1995.

Yes we are in trouble. But it was expected.

Except we have...

2002-2004

Also it was 1993 - 1998, which was also our longest run.

It was never missing the finals two years in a row which use to be our thing but we killed that in 2014 (2013-2015, our longest run with-out a final ever) last time before that was 1985-1986.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

edwahu wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
scotchberry wrote:
Yes that last run he did was odd
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We simply have to stop dropping the ball cold. Our handling this season has been absolutely atrocious.

That impacts on our confidence, which in turn impacts on our defence. We are leaking tries again like we did in 2013. It's horrible to watch.

The one player who deserves to be dropped in Leilua. He is in horrific form - it's amazing to see one of the best players in the NRL at the end of 2016 turn into probably the worst. It's astounding actually.

We will get towelled up next week by a Parramatta team who are also in seriously poor form, but also have injury issues. At least they will play with pride. We'll turn up with nothing.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

Stuart has no imagination. He can't adapt. Once we lost baptiste hodgo should've been playing 80 mins, but that would've required an adjustment to the game plan. Maybe that applies to his player management too....