Post by greeneyed »

2017 Rd 8 V Manly Sea Eagles: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles
Friday 21 April 6:00pm, Gates open 3:30pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of rain late this afternoon and evening. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 30 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0-0.2 mm. Max 19 Forecast for kick off: Cloudy 16C.

Round 7 2017. 20-8 over the New Zealand Warriors at home. It was gritty, it was determined and the defence was outstanding. The Warriors were held to just eight points... and even then, their only try was a dubious one and scored from a bomb. The visitors had almost 60 per cent possession in the first half, and had repeat set after repeat set. But even when Canberra's goal line was breached, the Raiders would not let the opposition score. There was no soft goal line defence, unlike some recent weeks. And then in the second half, when the possession turned, the Raiders' brilliant backs took over.

2017 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

More on Round 7: As I saw it

The Raiders are again at home in Round 8 and face the Manly Sea Eagles in the unfortunate time slot of 6pm on Friday night. Unfortunate, because, on a regular work day, many people won't be able to get to the ground in time for the game. The Raiders club has launched a campaign encouraging bosses to allow people to leave work early enough to get to the match. It is the ANZAC weekend, so there will be a traditional remembrance ceremony at 5:45pm. The Viking Clap will welcome the Raiders to the field for the second half this week.

Canberra has named an unchanged top 17 from the team that defeated the Warriors. Dave Taylor (calf) has been named on the reserves bench, with Clay Priest (shoulder) out until Round 9 or 10. For the Sea Eagles Martin Taupau (ribs) returns at prop with Addin Fonua-Blake moving to the bench. Lloyd Perrett is out with a sternum injury. Nate Myles has been included in the reserves list after being rested last week.

The match marks Blake Austin's 50th match in the green.

Late changes: Manly's Darcy Lussick was ruled out on Thursday afternoon with an elbow injury. It is expected that Nate Myles will be a late inclusion. The Raiders omitted Lachlan Croker and Makahesi Makatoa from their 21 man squad on Thursday evening.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

Franko's Five: Click here

History: The Canberra Raiders have won 20 of 51 matches against the Manly Sea Eagles and drawn one. That's just under a 40 per cent win rate. Things don't improve when you add in the fixtures the Raiders played against the Northern Eagles - they won just two of six games. Canberra has had some long stretches with limited success against Manly. Until 1989, Canberra won just one match against the team from the northern beaches. And since 2004, Canberra has won just five matches against the Sea Eagles. Four of those wins have come in the last 10 games between the clubs. Manly has a good record at Canberra Stadium, winning eight of 14 contests.

Canberra won both clashes in 2016 - a 30-18 win in Round 13 at Canberra Stadium and a 44-30 victory in Round 25 at Brookvale Oval. In both games, the Raiders clocked off for a bit, and they won't be able to do that on Friday night. As mentioned below, look what nearly happened to the Storm last week.

2016 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2016 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to Round 9 of 1990 when the Raiders and Sea Eagles met at the WACA in Perth. It had a good outcome!

1990 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Form: The Raiders have a WLWWW record in the last five matches; the Sea Eagles a WWWLL form line. The Sea Eagles have been showing some promising form, but have lost their last two matches. They were trailing the Melbourne Storm in Round 7 by 30-12 just before half time - with their left edge struggling in defence. But Manly staged a comeback, going down in the end by 30-26. They suffered a big 35-10 loss to the Dragons the previous week.

Betting: The Raiders are favourites, paying $1.24; the Sea Eagles $4.00. The Sea Eagles have 12 points start. Those odds do not reflect the danger Manly poses.

Stat attack: The Raiders have climbed to fifth on the competition ladder, while the Sea Eagles are in 9th - but Manly are only one win away from Canberra. After a tight match against the Warriors, the Raiders are second in the league in attack - but they are equal with the Dragons for most tries scored (32). They have averaged 26 points per match compared to compared to 21 for the Sea Eagles. Manly are scoring 3.9 tries per match (4.6 for the Raiders) so they are no dullards when it comes to attack in 2017.

The Raiders now average just under 50 per cent possession after dominating control of the ball last weekend - and have a slightly better average possession share than the Sea Eagles (48 per cent). Canberra has a completion rate of 74 per cent (76 per cent for the Sea Eagles); an error rate of 10.9 per match (Sea Eagles second lowest at 9.7); and concede just 5.6 penalties per match (7 for the Sea Eagles). The Raiders are awarded 7.1 penalties per match (equal fourth) compared to Manly's 5.9.

Manly is bottom three for metres gained (1508 metres per match), while Canberra is seventh in the league (1581 metres). Neither team is high on the kick metres table (393 metres Sea Eagles; 385 metres Raiders). Both teams score points regardless. Canberra is first in the NRL for tackle breaks (38 per match, Sea Eagles 26); Manly is equal first for line breaks (4.9 per match, Raiders 4.3). The two teams are equal second for try assists (3.4 per match).

The Raiders also have some advantage in defence. The Raiders concede an average of 18 points per match (three tries) compared to 20 (3.4 tries) for the Sea Eagles. Excluding the loss to the Sharks, however, Canberra has conceded 13.5 points per match - and the eight points conceded against the Warriors was the result of a great defensive effort. While both teams don't make a lot of metres, they don't concede a lot either (1387 metres per match Sea Eagles, 1340 Raiders). Canberra, however, concede fewer line breaks (3.1 per match, 4.6 for the Sea Eagles) and miss fewer tackles (9 per cent missed to total tackles ratio for the Raiders, 10 per cent Sea Eagles). Manly is more likely to concede off loads (11 per match, 8 for the Raiders). Manly has conceded an average of 32 points in the past two matches.

Our tip: Overall, on paper, the Raiders out point the Sea Eagles in both attack and defence. It should add up to a Raiders victory. But matches are not played on paper. Manly has some dangerous attacking players in their spine in Daly Cherry-Evans, Blake Green and Tom Trbojevic - and they will make the Raiders pay if they lose concentration. They cannot, at any stage, be complacent. However, if Canberra are on their game they should win. Raiders by eight.

What they're saying:

Jordan Rapana says there's a "brotherhood" at the Raiders: "Everyone just wants to play for each other and I think that's a big factor. We never give up, we're never out. Even there's times when we're down by 20 or so and you just get a vibe between the boys that we just know we're going to score some tries. I think that's a big factor in that."

Aidan Sezer says he plans to run the ball more: "I'm a bit more comfortable with my role within the team now and the boys are always encouraging me to run. If they're saying it they can see opportunities there so I'm happy to take them. I do enjoy running the footy and hopefully I can do a bit more of it."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker c 4. Joey Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Blake Austin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Junior Paulo 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Joe Tapine

14. Adam Clydsdale 15. Luke Bateman 16. Dunamis Lui 17. Sia Soliola

18. Dave Taylor 19. Jordan Turner 20. Makahesi Makatoa 21. Lachlan Croker

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Tom Trbojevic 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Dylan Walker 4. Brian Kelly 5. Akuila Uate 6. Blake Green 7. Daly Cherry-Evans c 8. Brenton Lawrence 9. Apisai Korisau 10. Martin Taupau 11. Frank Winterstein 12 Curtis Sironen 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lewis Brown 15. Jackson Hastings 16. Darcy Lussick 17. Addin Fonua-Blake

18. Nate Myles 19. Cameron Cullen 20. Matthew Wright 21. Shaun Lane

*Players in light grey have been ruled out.

Officials:

Referees: Grant Atkins, Chris Sutton
Sideline Officials: Phil Henderson, Michael Wise
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Luke Patten

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersManly

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2017 Rd 8 V Manly Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

@SeaEagles on Twitter

#BREAKING Prop Darcy Lussick will miss this weeks match against the @RaidersCanberra with an elbow injury.

Game day preview updated further tonight.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Lachlan Croker and Makahesi Makatoa drop out of Canberra Raiders squad to face Manly Sea Eagles.

Game day preview updated.
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

I hope big Dave plays

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day..... Yes!! Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Arnie
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Arnie »

This bloody start time is dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Ah game day, I always enjoy having a Friday game even if it will be a bit of an inconvenient time.

Not convinced we are as far in front as the odds suggest but if we get our game right we should get the win.

Go raiders!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bit of a change in the weather forecast, now possible rain late afternoon/evening. Quite cloudy in Canberra this morning. Hope it doesn't put people off.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We have to play poorly to lose and Manly have to play better than they have all season to win. I think that's why the odds are so lopsided.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Arnie wrote:This bloody start time is dumb.

I agree. I have to take an hour and a half off work to make it to the game, and I work 10 minutes from the stadium.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Arnie
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Arnie »

Yeah this is probably the one game I'll miss all season
Spewing
I'm interested to see what the numbers are like at the game tonight though

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Arnie wrote:This bloody start time is dumb.

I agree. I have to take an hour and a half off work to make it to the game, and I work 10 minutes from the stadium.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
It's ridiculous, it shouldn't have to happen. I don't understand why Don Furner is saying he might put his hand up for more matches. It doesn't matter for me, but it'd be a major hassle for anyone working to get to the game.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'm glad there's been the shift with daylight savings. The early Friday timeslot was starting at 4:30 NT time, now it's starting 5:30.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I'm really not sure why there's a bit of anxiety surrounding this game. The Raiders are good, Manly are bad. We should pump them

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Green eyed Mick wrote:We have to play poorly to lose and Manly have to play better than they have all season to win. I think that's why the odds are so lopsided.
10% chance of rain at game time building up to 30% at 10pm .. mind you that's all weatherman talk

http://m.bom.gov.au/act/MS25/forecasts/
Last edited by Raidersfan on April 21, 2017, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day MOFO's Caaaaarn the Raiders!!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I think we should really be sending traffic towards Blake Green and exploit his arm grabbing in defence.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Manly aren't going well this season and yet they put plenty of points on the storm last week. If you drop your guard they are definitely the kind of team that can pull your pants down!
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Notaroboticfish wrote:I'm really not sure why there's a bit of anxiety surrounding this game. The Raiders are good, Manly are bad. We should pump them

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
They won 3 in a row not long ago beat the Cows up there, beat Dogs 36-0 and beat Easts away. They are capable. If we don't turn up with the right attitude they're capable of upsetting us. If we do we should win fairly comfortably. If we play our best footy no one's beating us.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

You could say Manly are due for a change in form so take them lightly and we could be on the wrong end of a good night.

If the last three weeks have shown something to the players it's that ball security and discipline provide us with enough possession to unleash our attacking abilities.

I'm really eager for a win tonight .. it may get us into the top 4 but it would certainly distinguish us from the bottom eight.

GO RAIDERS !!
WWWW
Last edited by Raidersfan on April 21, 2017, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I look at the packs and the bigs off the benches and it looks like a Raiders win. Which worries me.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Woodgers wrote:I look at the packs and the bigs off the benches and it looks like a Raiders win. Which worries me.
Im deeply concerned here.

Not sure why, but I am.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Remember how Manly came back in Rd 25 last year. That's the sort of thing they can do. People are right to be worried. Danger game.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Manly are far more dangerous than Warriors.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

I think the game will be high scoring.... I'd say we will probably come straight out the gates and get a fast start. Then just after half time Manly will score some quick tries to make the Raiders faithful sweat as usual...

I've been to every game this year, but I won't be attending tonights game. The last time we had a weekday game (Melbourne Storm last year), I didn't get to the stadium until half time due to traffic on the GDE/Tuggers Parkway. Was a complete gridlock.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
Woodgers wrote:I look at the packs and the bigs off the benches and it looks like a Raiders win. Which worries me.
Im deeply concerned here.

Not sure why, but I am.
Yeah me too. For reasons I don't know.

Should be a good game. Go raiders!!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

greeneyed wrote:Remember how Manly came back in Rd 25 last year. That's the sort of thing they can do. People are right to be worried. Danger game.
And that's what worries most of us .. no matter how well the team is travelling we have that lingering doubt concerning our defence and that on a bad day (or 20mins) we'll let the opposition run a few quick tries in.

Our defence is definitely on the improve .. it needs to be to nab the close ones which are imperative in getting to the finals and winning the big one.

GO RAIDERS !!
WWWW
I don't post facts
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day Frenchy's

Manly fans still think they are a top 4 side. Idiots. Canberra's turn in the sun.

Bottom rail on top now.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I was worried about the Warriors game, I thought they would be tough, and that proved correct. Again, I think the Eagles may be dangerous if we don't come out switched on. But it is about us - if we're switched on, we'll win.

And I have to say, the team is getting better at being more mentally consistent from game to game. But yeah, I think for those of us concerned, it's a hangover from all the years of ridiculous inconsistency because of our ridiculously weak mental game.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Same for me, years of turning up to games we should win and getting spanked lingers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yep I agree Azza and TW, that doubt is not ready to be removed yet. The fact that literally anyone can beat anyone in this current competition doesn't help.

Manly don't have a fantastic roster but I think besides a few bad lapses during games this season, Barrett has them further progressed that I thought he would do at this point in the season.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

It is a nice change to think that the outcome of games relies solely on us. If we turn up and play well, we win. If we dont turn up we lose. Its nice that what the other team does now is kind of irrelevant....
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Most games are like that nowadays, as playing roster wise, when fit and firing, we're one of the top few teams in the comp.

But there will be games where even if we are switched on, we'll be playing against another heavyweight where it's not going to guarantee us a win anyway. That's footy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm more concerned about the refereeing than I am about the opposition. In saying that, Atkins and Sutton are usually reasonable.

As has been said, the result of this game is entirely on our attitude. We defend well on the edges against DCE and Tom Trbojevic and we're right in it.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Like a few others, I look at the packs and think we should crush them from about the 25 minute mark, especially if Taylor plays.

And yet, I'm very worried.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.