Matt's Match-ups 2017

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2017

Post by Botman »

irvste wrote:Aww come on pigman don't let the team down again...I've only posted a few times and its so far mostly for your posts as much as I like matts ..and he did welcome me too

I'll deliver tonight. Just for you, old friend
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Looks like I've got some wrongs to right here
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Pigman is right, and you **** know it!

Alright, another season, same old story! You know the drill. I’m going to tell you which players win the skins based on actual footballing ability, no some stupid **** 1 week form guide. This is quite simply the best team you can muster combining the two teams. If as you read this you thought i got a few things wrong, that’s ok, you thought wrong. Please refer to the title.

Round 10: Raiders V Knights

1. Jack Wighton: Credit where it's due. I dont know nor care what a Brendan Elliott is but he's scored some nice long range tries for a team who cant get out of their own way. With that being said, he needs to find a new career, this NRL thing probably aint going to pan out for him long term
2. Nick Cotric: Ken Sio has had a nice couple of games for the Knights but he'll remember who he is. Cotric has got to be one of the ROTY favourites. I cant tell you how good this kid is looking right now.
3. Jarrod Croker: I dont give the faintest **** about Gagai's SOO appearances. Croker would have about 10 games for QLD. He hands Gagai his **** almost every time they met.
4. BJ Leilua: I dont know what Mata'utia brother he's lining up against but it doesnt matter, it could be all 12 of them and BJ would still win
5. Jordan Rapana: Rossdog cant hang with Jordy Raps
6. Blake Austin: Ok, it's Eurovision time and i dont have **** time for this ****. Matt, im not even convinced Brock Lamb is a real **** person, how in the **** do you put Scott Dureau with a fake mo over Blake Austin. Jesus **** wept. I dont want to continually invoke the Matt's Rubber Band HOF, but **** me, this is right there.
7. Aiden Sezer: Let me spin you a **** tale about Jalen? Jayden? Jaylon? Feeney... Last year i read a lot of reports about how he was going to be a star for the knights. He was going to be their first choice fullback, loads of talent, natural play maker, great ball runner... i dumped $50 on his to be the Knights top try scorer @ $4.50...easy money right? WRONG!! He played the first five rounds. Absolute stunk up the joint, scoring zero, COUNT EM ZERO!!! Tries and then who would **** know where he disappeared too, didnt get another run in one of the worst teams i've ever seen play. I am still furious. **** this guy. He's a bum.
8. Junior Paulo: Ok, i know us Raiders fans dont mind talking up a junior or two, but can one of these **** Safiti kids actually do something? The knights fans love these kids. Neither are worth a pinch of **** that i've seen. Jnr easily
9. Josh Hodgson: Dani Levi will be another name in the pile of players who never lived up to their billing. Average footballer with no real threatening spark.
10. Shannon Boyd: Josh Starling would be a serviceable 4th middle third. If he's starting games for you, you'd better go and spent 1.3 mil on an aging James Graham.
11. Sia Soliolia: No one will ever convince me Sione Mata'utia isnt as **** hopeless as the rest of his bottom feeding brothers. Years from now a rugby league historian will release a Dan Carlin like 6 part audio book on how this **** guy managed to play for australia. It'll be a fascinating listen
12. Elliott Whitehead: Sam Stone? Who the **** are these *****? It's like they've just put random name generator names down on their team list. Sam Stone? There is no way that's a real person.
13. Luke Bateman: Ok. I confess. I didnt look the knights team listing up. Im going directly off Matt's listing. He got me. Haha. **** got me. It's taken me till now but im now convinced he's just thrown a bunch of make believe people in his list to trip me up. Bateman is playing like balls but he's better than a make believe footballer

INTERCHANGE

14. Adam Clydesdale: Ill be honest, i dont really think anyone deserves this jersey as a utility but **** the knights, this team is woeful, and rubbing salt into that wound by having Clydesdale, a failed Buderus apprentice make this team over anyone they've got seems fitting.
15. Joesph Tapine: The only **** bloke the knights have produced who's worth feeding and we poached him. God, we're monsters.
16. Clay Preist: I aint really about Clay Priest as a fulltime NRL starter but in this game, he's good enough to nab a bench spot.
17. Dave Taylor: I'll be **** if im giving any of those knights forwards a jersey and DeLama Lee or what ever his name is certainly isnt getting the gig either. Coaltrain gets the spot.

**** the knights and **** this Raiders team if we lose to the worst team i've seen since the late 90's Magpies
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

This knights squad is worse than their two squads we played last year. It SHOULD be a blood bath.
We should be running all over lamb and feeney all game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I laughed out loud. Honestly. And the people in this pub are wondering why.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:I laughed out loud. Honestly. And the people in this pub are wondering why.

Link them!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CJ42 wrote:This knights squad is worse than their two squads we played last year. It SHOULD be a blood bath.

We're gonna lose 40-10.. book it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

@Pig As a rule to myself I generally don't like to admit that you throw up the odd funny comment. I mean like Hailey's Comet type frequency. But that sir gave me a deadset LOL moment.

I cant **** believe that i used LOL. **** me.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman's who the **** is this ****:
The Newcastle Knights
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

-TW- wrote:
CJ42 wrote:This knights squad is worse than their two squads we played last year. It SHOULD be a blood bath.

Safety bet on knights 13+
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

@pigman
Absolute gold.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

:clap: You had a lot of material to work with this week Pig so i was expecting top shelf stuff and boy did you deliver. Favourite moments were Soli V SMat, Bateman V make believe, stealing Tapine and 90's Magpies vs 2017 Knights. :clap:

We are absolutely no chance this week.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Archer wrote::clap: You had a lot of material to work with this week Pig so i was expecting top shelf stuff and boy did you deliver. Favourite moments were Soli V SMat, Bateman V make believe, stealing Tapine and 90's Magpies vs 2017 Knights. :clap:

We are absolutely no chance this week.
Haha yep
I'm already absolute **** furious about losing this game
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

One of your finest pigman! It really is like a whole team sheet of who the **** is this ****!

I'm gong to cry when we find a way to lose this **** game!
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^
Haha I want to believe everything Pigman has written but from what I've seen THIS year Newcastle haven't been that bad. If our boys are not fully committed (and there's **** reason why they shouldn't be) we'll once more have a tussle on our hands.
I don't post facts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Pigman telling it how it is....

Pure stink.

Knights 13+ :shock:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Love it...croker to score 20+ in a flogging...or we go to golden point again... They may have **** players but they play better than you'd think...
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I love the Sezer v Feeney comparison.

Even taking the green tinted glasses off, our team on paper is better across the board, player for player, than nearly every other team in the comp. Our players win (and justifiably so on talent) their skin over their opponents every week. Yet this is the kind of game we lose (see Bulldogs last week, Manly the week before, the Titans/Dragons/and both Knights games last year). It's embarrassing. I fully expect to get thumped tomorrow by a NSW cup side
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

We will win this one...having had years of disappointment losing games we should have won its heart-breaking to see the old habits come back but I've a feeling this game will be different and we will win
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Pigman can you please not do your segment anymore.... the opposition clearly read it and it just fires them up, plus it looks real bad when we get absolutely schooled by what you label as "no-names" :nooo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's the Pigman curse. Ross Dawg!

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote:
Matt wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:**** me, Brock Lamb!? Luke Yates would be making a Who the **** is this ****? if I did it

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Watch more footy then mate. :P
Stone and Yates look solid finds. Probably going to be in the realm of Priest, Bateman, Fensom types - as in solid FGer's, but not rep level. Guys Brown doesn't have to worry about until he has pugged a for more holes, spine esp.
Tells him to watch more footy.
Rates Brock Lamb over Blake Austin because of Try Assist stats.
:doubt:
Yep, and what happened on the weekend? He skooled us!
Advantage Matt
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote:

Nearly right TW
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 5: Raiders V Eels

The Indigenous Round, mixed with Mother's Day, was another great success; however, it was another week with a heavy injury toll. The Titans were again impacted, with Hayne, Sarginson, Simpkins all coming off early. Tom Trbojevic’s knee/ankle injury has become a contentious one due to a difference in the rule regarding tackles on players in the air. In the Raiders versus Knights match, Luke Bateman only lasted three minutes, failing his HIA test, while Jacob Safiti was stretchered off, after an incident that looked innocuous live, but was serious after the event. I hope all is well in the Safiti household, and I wish him well.

The Raiders opponents this week, the Eels, have lost their star half, Corey Norman, for at least a month. But in breaking news, Mitchell Moses has been granted a release by the Wests Tigers to join the Eels. He is in the number 21 jersey for Parramatta this week. It's now a race against time to get him to get him up to speed in his new team.

The performances of both the Raiders and Eels last weekend are not worth talking about. So let's get straight into it.

Eels V Raiders

Bevan French 1. Jack Wighton
Semi Radradra 2. Nick Cotric
Michael Jennings 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Kirisome Auva'a 4. Joseph Leilua
Josh Hoffman 5. Jordan Rapana
Clinton Gutherson 6. Blake Austin
Will Smith 7. Aidan Sezer
Suaia Matagi 8. Junior Paulo
Kaysa Pritchard 9. Josh Hodgson
Tim Mannah 10. Shannon Boyd
Manu Ma'u 11. Josh Papalii
Tepai Moeroa 12. Elliott Whitehead
Nathan Brown 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Beau Scott 14. Adam Clysdale
Daniel Alvaro 15. Luke Bateman
Kenny Edwards 16. Clay Priest
Siosaia Vave 17. Sia Soliola

Extended Bench
David Gower 18. Dunamis Lui
Rory O'Brien 19. Jordan Turner
Brad Takairangi 20. Dave Taylor
Mitchell Moses 21. Scott Sorenson

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Jack Wighton hasn't had the best of times on field in the last month, but Bevan French has been out for a long time with injury. Wighton wins on the injury rule.

Wingers:
The Eels' Semi Radrada has had some off field issues to deal with in 2017, both in his family life and his career. It's still translating into his play. He just isn't his previous electric self. Nick Cotric was, yet again, a shining light in a bad Raiders side last weekend. He bagged a double in the loss to the Knights, and looked dangerous in limited opportunities - so he takes the skin.

Jordan Rapana is obviously out of sorts, and seems to be dealing with a few niggling injuries, especially his shoulder. He isn't getting the quality ball he was getting earlier in the year, and he looks frustrated. Josh Hoffman on the other hand is quietly going about his business as the forgotten man in the Eels' backline. He isn't setting the world on fire, but is a safe and reliable player. I'm going to give the Test star the benefit here, but that's two weeks in a row; he might not get it a third time.

Centres:
You can throw a blanket over Michael Jennings versus Jarrod Croker statistically. Croker was pretty good in a bad side against the Knights, especially late in the game. Jennings bagged a great solo try in another bad side last weekend. Give or take, it is goal kicking that splits them, so they split the skin.

Statistically, there isn't much between Joey Leilua and Kirisome Auva'a. Both make 104 metres from 11.6 carries on average, and in the past two games they produced 165 metres and 167 metres respectively. Auva'a makes two more tackles per game, but also misses one more per game. As it stands, Auva'a has made nearly as many missed tackles as Leilua in half the games. However, more than half of Leilua's misses have come in the past three games. This is a question of form, and I can't give Leilua the same latitude as Rapana, because he has performed poorly and has been disinterested in the past two or three games. Brad Takairangi is on the extended bench, so he could be a late inclusion for Auva'a, who replaced him.

Halves:
There is a reason the topic of the halves is a popular one amongst Raiders fans. It is because Blake Austin and Aidan Sezer just aren't cutting the mustard. They are showing promise in patches, but just aren't being consistent enough. There are plenty of factors that contribute, like the forwards not winning the ruck, poor completion rates, lack of possession and teams aiming up against the Raiders. But none are good enough reasons for inconsistency. Cohesion between the play makers isn't there this year. It's not an easy fix, but I'd really like to see the Raiders adopt a Cowboys styled attack - which I believe is a hybrid of the traditional, first and second receiver, and the modern split halves setup. The Cowboys play Michael Morgan and Lachlan Coote as their split halves in attack. Both are fullback/five-eighth styled players, and I can't see why Austin and Wighton couldn't do the same for the Raiders. Jake Granville and Johanthan Thurston float all over the field. Sezer hasn't made a secret of wanting to be more of a leader/general. I think if he and Hodgson were running the show the spine would possibly work better, and play to their strengths.

With Corey Norman out for an extended period, and Bevan French back from injury, Clint Gutherson has moved from fullback back to five-eighth. He scored a try in the heavy defeat to the Roosters on the weekend. He has surprised plenty of people with how quickly he adapted to the role when moving there late last season. He has played his best footy in the halves this year, and the Eels will need him to after a heavy loss and the loss of their star half. Will "The Fresh Prince' Smith made a move to Parramatta from Penrith last year. He is another of those fullback cum five-
eighth style players, playing 11 times in the NRL in both positions, with one start at centre. He is a handy backup player, but that's all he is. Sezer has been the better of the Raiders halves in the past few games, and Smith hasn't much of a form guide so as to take the skin. As noted above, Mitchell Moses has been granted a release from the Tigers, and has been named on the Eels' reserve list this week, so he could be a late inclusion.

Prop:
Junior Paulo is easily the best prop in this contest, and while I'd like to see him put the triple cutout away for the remainder of his career, you can't fault the consistency of his metre eating. Suaia Matagi started the year well, but has drifted back to the pack as a starting prop.

Shannon Boyd had a fortnight to recover from an leg, and was better last weekend than the previous few weeks. He looked stronger carrying the ball, and he still has the ability to really hit someone when he wants to in defence. However, his lateral movement and fitness appear down on last year. I really don't think Tim Mannah is a first grader anymore, but his numbers are interesting reading. In 36 minutes, he averages a tick under 100 metres from 10 carries and 23 tackles, while missing one and a half tackles per game. Mannah also scored a rare try against the Cowboys two matches ago. Like many other skins this week, the statistics are similar, so I'll weight Mannah's try as the tie breaker, given he is the only starting prop with a four pointer.

Daniel Alvaro learnt very quickly alongside Wicks last year, and now plays a similar game. Siosaia Vave is a journeyman prop who has been a solid backup player for his entire career. Both of these guys play impact minutes (sub 30 minutes) for the Eels. They have been doing a pretty good job, with the Eels not losing go forward, and they are very solid defensively, with a tick under two missed tackles a game between them.

The Raiders' bench has been a worry most of this year. Ricky Stuart keeps mixing up the player who starts at lock, with Sia Soliola, Joseph Tapine, Luke Bateman and Clay Priest all having a run there this year. I expect that to be the same again this week, meaning two of the four will play prop minutes and the other two at lock. Bateman's missed tackle rate places him between the Eels' pair, but the other three Raiders are worse. Tapine misses more than three a game, which isn't good. They all play more minutes, and all average less metres.

After a month of restocking at Raiders HQ, surely it’s time to send the Coal Train out of the station.

Hooker/Utility:
Kaysa Pritchard has always been a live wire hooker, who plays above his weight. Pritchard has nailed down the 80 minute hooker role at the Eels this season. He is prone to a missed tackle though, averaging 3.8 per game. So, send some big boys his way, because a small player is still a small player. Josh Hodgson hasn't been a little inconsistent this year, and was certainly targeted by the Knights this past week. However, Hodgson runs more, kicks more, and lays on more tries than Pritchard. Clysdale… well, have I mentioned my new injury reserve rule?

Backrow:
Manu Ma'u is the enforcer of the Eels pack. He really plays it hard and straight. It's probably fair to say Ma'u plays a similar style to that of Soliola: runs tough lines and hits hard. However, he faces Josh Papalii, who has no equal on an edge. I'm not going to let a one week suspension get in the way of that in deciding the skin. Papalii would have played for Australia if not for his bizarre drink driving charge.

I'm not going to sugar coat this: Tepai Moeroa hasn't lived up to expectations. Nathan Hindmarsh 2.0 he is not, and even then, the workhorse backrower seems to be a dying breed anyway. Elliott Whitehead hasn't had a happy time defending alongside Austin and Leilua in the past few games, but he is still his busy self. He out points Moeroa in every way, including missed tackles, unfortunately.

As mentioned above, while Tapine has been named to start for the Raiders, who really knows which player will actually start? Of the four, I think Soliola is the only one that has been consistent enough to even be close to the Nathan Brown in this one. For me this is a no contest. Brown is doing exactly what the Raiders have been wanting from Bateman or Tapine. He is a big minute enforcer, providing plenty of go forward and starch in defence; just ask noted hitman Dylan Napa, who got some of his own treatment last week from Brown.

Beau Scott will return from injury this week, having missed last week. He has been coming off the bench since the Raiders last played them, splitting minutes at lock and on the edge. He's noted defender with plenty of experience, but he hasn't been that great this year, only averaging 60 metres and 27 tackles a game from 46 minutes. Kenny Edwards is the last man to talk about, and after an extended suspension, he came back to become the first man sent to the sin bin for a slap to the face. He just hasn't played enough footy this year to get a read on him. However, he is a talented player, and very capable of breaking a game open.

Result
The tally is Eels five and Raiders 10 and two draws. The skins are a little more lopsided than they probably should be. But both teams haven't exactly performed well, injuries happen, and that's why they are in ninth and 10th place on the competition ladder. Both teams need the points this week to stay in touch with the top eight.

Result: Raiders, desperate to get their season back on track (by 10-16).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In hindsight, how would the skins change for the Knights game? I reckon the Knights would be awarded even more skins.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote:In hindsight, how would the skins change for the Knights game? I reckon the Knights would be awarded even more skins.
Peter Mat, and Ross Dog for the W.
Dan Safiti draw with Jr.

All Ill add is, those naysayers may want to hold off a bit if they don't like a skin, coz Im on a roll ATM.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

All I'm going to say is I respect all of the Eels players and hope they have a fun time out on the field

(please don't sling **** at their players and voodoo them into motm performances in here like every week. It's getting scary)

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

CJR wrote:All I'm going to say is I respect all of the Eels players and hope they have a fun time out on the field

(please don't sling **** at their players and voodoo them into motm performances in here like every week. It's getting scary)

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Matt, just out of curiosity who do you give the skin to between Sezer and Moses assuming he does in fact run out for them?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Matt, do us all a favor and give every skin to the eels! Our players have talent but on current form there's not many players worse!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Archer wrote:Matt, just out of curiosity who do you give the skin to between Sezer and Moses assuming he does in fact run out for them?
Its actually a tougher call than u think.

On a quick look, Sezer's 10 TAs to 2 is a big one, and Sezer's 11 fewer missed tackles is a plus.

Moses has more than twice the kick meters. He has more than 100m more running meters. Also made 30 more tackles - more traffic comes his way, so 11 more missed for 30 more made is a bit each way. Moses also has 3 tries.

Both are pretty reasonable goal kickers too.

Sezer is the steady choice. Moses the more dynamic, but also potentially a liability.

TBH, right now id take a punt on Moses. Change of scenery, better supporting crew. More upside.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

pickles wrote:Matt, do us all a favor and give every skin to the eels! Our players have talent but on current form there's not many players worse!
:lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Matt wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:**** me, Brock Lamb!? Luke Yates would be making a Who the **** is this ****? if I did it

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Watch more footy then mate. Image
Stone and Yates look solid finds. Probably going to be in the realm of Priest, Bateman, Fensom types - as in solid FGer's, but not rep level. Guys Brown doesn't have to worry about until he has pugged a for more holes, spine esp.
Tells him to watch more footy.
Rates Brock Lamb over Blake Austin because of Try Assist stats.
:doubt:
Yep, and what happened on the weekend? He skooled us!
Advantage Matt
Advantage? More like clawed one back. You're still down 2 sets and at 2-5 in the 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Matt wrote:
Archer wrote:Matt, just out of curiosity who do you give the skin to between Sezer and Moses assuming he does in fact run out for them?

On a quick look, Sezers 10 TAs to 2 is a big one, and Sezers 11 fewer missed tackles is a plus.

Moses has more than twice the kick meters. He has more than 100m more running meters. Also made 30 more tackles - more traffic comes his way, so 11 more missed for 30 more made is a bit each way. Moses also has 3 tries.

Sezer is the steady choice. Moses the more dynamic, but also potentially a liability.

TBH, right now id take a punt on Moses. Change of scenery, better supporting crew. More upside.
Actually I'm not sure i disagree. If it was based purely on stats alone then i think Sezer takes it, 11 missed tackles are pretty important on their own as I'd be interested to know how many of those have led to a try (either directly or on the back of a LB from that missed tackle). The TA's surprise me, i would have guessed more than that had you asked me. That said I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if both of those stats look very different come the end of the season
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Archer wrote:
Matt wrote:

On a quick look, Sezers 10 TAs to 2 is a big one, and Sezers 11 fewer missed tackles is a plus.

Actually I'm not sure i disagree. If it was based purely on stats alone then i think Sezer takes it, 11 missed tackles are pretty important on their own as I'd be interested to know how many of those have led to a try (either directly or on the back of a LB from that missed tackle). The TA's surprise me, i would have guessed more than that had you asked me. That said I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if both of those stats look very different come the end of the season
If u look up Foxspots lab u can find out the LB and Try causes. Id say they are high for Moses, but its a guess.