Raiders player signing speculation 2017

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2017

Post by edwahu »

I reckon we would and should expect to be chasing the better player like Nofoaluma and not the mid weights like Davis. Our stock is at an all time high and we have cleared out some expensive players we didnt really want. Our spine is still relatively cheap and we only have one Origin player on our roster.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

A club like Parra will probably be willing to pay more for him than us.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

If I had a choice Nofoaluma would be it, but in the real world can you see talent like him, cotric or ottio playing for Mounties as depth.... yeah no.

But if that occurs well happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

No chance of us signing Nofoaluma. They've just lost Simona for an indefinite period, but most probably won't play again in the NRL.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance

DJ89 wrote:No chance of us signing Nofoaluma. They've just lost Simona for an indefinite period, but most probably won't play again in the NRL.
Yes agree however keep in mind they just shelled out 1.3m for junior in Suli that's a freakin lot of coin for a winger who has not played a single nrl game.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Nofoaluma is an absolute gun and clubs are starting to realise that. He'll get offered big money because having a good all round winger who is damaging at both ends of the field is priceless.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Of all the players who have left us since Stuart took over, Milford aside who we obviously tried to keep, i can't help but thinking Barnett might be the one who we really look back on as a mistake. He looks the business in a very bad team.
We got Tapine back who's the better footballer IMO, and at full strength i dont see where Barnett fits in (Boyd, Jnr, Sia, Tapine, Bateman as our middles) but that guy can absolutely **** play.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Pigman wrote:Of all the players who have left us since Stuart took over, Milford aside who we obviously tried to keep, i can't help but thinking Barnett might be the one who we really look back on as a mistake. He looks the business in a very bad team.
We got Tapine back who's the better footballer IMO, and at full strength i dont see where Barnett fits in (Boyd, Jnr, Sia, Tapine, Bateman as our middles) but that guy can absolutely **** play.
I would take Barnett over Tapine from what i have seen so far. Barnett has so much aggression and seems to make good contact first up. Tarpine doesnt seem to make good contact in tackles regularly enough.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yeah he's good isn't he. I think Brown is making a mistake playing him up the middle though. Lock him in for 80 minutes on an edge and their go to player IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah id like to see him on the edge as well, he can punch holes through anyone. But making him a middle sort of allows him to roam a little more and get his hands on the footy on both sides

Tapine's a NZ rep already and IMO absolutely bloody awesome. But Barnett is a future rep player himself IMO
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

julian87 wrote:Yeah he's good isn't he. I think Brown is making a mistake playing him up the middle though. Lock him in for 80 minutes on an edge and their go to player IMO.
I disagree, I really think he suits the middle. Looks fantastic playing both sides, but not having to be the one just running lines on the edges. His aggressiveness and workrate in defence suits lock to a tee.

I feel like we could have found a place for him if we really wanted to, but Ricky was looking for a different kind of player for that spot. Tapine is a totally different player. I like watching them both a lot. Depending on the team game plan, either player could be the best option.
Ricky probably held something against him for his antics the year before.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:Of all the players who have left us since Stuart took over, Milford aside who we obviously tried to keep, i can't help but thinking Barnett might be the one who we really look back on as a mistake. He looks the business in a very bad team.

Can't argue, but the guy made two big attempts to get out of his contract in the space of a season. He seriously wanted out.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

He wanted out for the same reason tpj wanted out. Couldn't crack a first grade position despite killing it for Reggie's... Not going to be critical of Stuart, how could I be, he clearly is making the best decisions for the team based on what he knows about the players (which is infinitely more than any of us will ever know). But on footballing ability alone, both of these players would be regulars with 30-40 games each
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I thought Barnett was at risk of penalising himself out of the comp, but he is really starting to find that balance in aggression in his game. He's also making less errors these days. He's certainly a bloke you'd want beside you on the field.

It appeared to be between him and Bateman for that middle third player Stuart was looking for to replace Fensom, and for whatever reason he went with Bateman. From that point on Barnett was on borrowed time. Bateman is a quality player but Barnett is proving to be a bit of a momentum changer for the Knights. He's a quality footballer.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I wouldn't swap them batman for barnett, I'm a big wrap on the batman
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:

Can't argue, but the guy made two big attempts to get out of his contract in the space of a season. He seriously wanted out.
Yeah I get that, I'm not saying he could have kept him even if we wanted to, just I think he's the best of those who's walked and it's not even really close, he's a legit gun
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Right now, Tapine and Barnett are out 'pointing' Batemen IMO. So, If I had a choice, id switch the B's.

As for edge vs middle. I think Barnett is crazy and aggressive enough, and has a good work rate, so could really make a fist of playing lock. He plays above his weight. They also signed Buhrer to play on an edge, and they have Sione Mata'utai they want to play on the other edge. BTW, he was super impressive on the weekend, so I don't think he is that worried abut it.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Jordan Kahu is apparently going to test himself on the open market. Probably satisfies the criteria of being able to play a number of positions but probably won't come cheap and is an injury risk. Kurt Mann and Nathan Davis (as have been already mentioned in this thread) seem as more sensible targets
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Should sign Hayne tbh

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance

CJR wrote:Should sign Hayne tbh

nope, Hayne is only in it for Hayne and I suggest he is currently living off his rep more than talent

CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Just having a laugh, wouldn't trade Jackie for anyone.

Organised Chaos
Dean Lance

CJR wrote:Just having a laugh, wouldn't trade Jackie for anyone.

ImageImage

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

FROG wrote:Jordan Kahu is apparently going to test himself on the open market. Probably satisfies the criteria of being able to play a number of positions but probably won't come cheap and is an injury risk. Kurt Mann and Nathan Davis (as have been already mentioned in this thread) seem as more sensible targets
I read the kahu article. To me it sounded like bronchokes is his first choice but didn't want to commit to saying that in case he gets a weaker deal from Brisbane. In saying that pretty much any club with his ability to play quality football at wing centre and even fullback. Would particularly be a good fit at Bulldogs imo
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Barnett is hands down more talented than Bateman.
Bateman is your average NRL standard, Barnett is rep standard

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Phantom wrote:Barnett is hands down more talented than Bateman.

Disagree
Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

bonehead wrote:

Disagree
I think he's pretty right.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:
bonehead wrote:

Disagree
I think he's pretty right.
I don't
Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yes, we know :D

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Said it before will say it again. Barnett has plenty of talent and go with the ball, but his defence and mistake rate needs a lot of attention.

Also needs to dump his player manager.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was a big fan or Barnett back to his 20s days
And yeah, ideally is trade Bateman for him but that's not a knock on Bateman who I think will be really good

There is a salary cap to balance here too and I think as good as Bateman is, given he wouldn't start ahead of Whitehead, Papa or Sia for the next 2-3 years minimum, moving him was the right move, despite his abilities
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:Yes, we know :D

Barnett is not a rep player, he'll never play for nsw or aus.
Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bateman play for qld to be honest... He is the type of player they absolutely love up there
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote:
T_R wrote:Yes, we know :D

Barnett is not a rep player, he'll never play for nsw or aus.
Only because of the strength at the position and the ridiculous way the selectors make decisions

Wighton will likely never play for those sides either, Croker too, doesn't mean they aren't quality footballers
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Barnett was great round 1 but people write off the job Bateman did for us last year a bit quickly.

Tapine is probably the right comparison anyway as Bateman is much more of a prop.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I reckon Bateman is a gun... He will get better too