Croker out injured, Hodgson stand in captain

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Riaan
John Ferguson

Re: Croker out injured

Post by Riaan »

I agree with Papabear. I think Wighton really enjoys the physical side of being closer to the action.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

simo wrote:Cotric just interviewed on 7 news

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Poor old massoud, only redemption story is Coal Train.
What's the bet sticky doesn't debut Cotric just to annoy the sydney media after this interview?
Edrick The Entertainer
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I dislike massoud immensely.

Dont delete this GE
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

simo wrote:It was also interesting last year that fensom had no problems within his game according to most

I'm pretty sure Tuxy lost his job for calling everyone that wanted Fensom dropped muppets.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Can not overstate how crazy the notion of moving Wighton to centre to fill a gap is. I mean that is probably the very worst option I could come up with going on what's in front of us.

We've just named a 32 man squad for the trial on the weekend with only Ottio missing out due to injury IIRC. In no order; Aiono, Cotric, Cronan, Naden, Santo and Turner (named at centre or wing depending on the player) are all batter options than moving Wighton.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

julian87 wrote:Can not overstate how crazy the notion of moving Wighton to centre to fill a gap is. I mean that is probably the very worst option I could come up with going on what's in front of us.

We've just named a 32 man squad for the trial on the weekend with only Ottio missing out due to injury IIRC. In no order; Aiono, Cotric, Cronan, Naden, Santo and Turner (named at centre or wing depending on the player) are all batter options than moving Wighton.
100% correct. You don't weaken a key position to strengthen a less important position.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's utter madness
Wighton is still developing his game as a fullback. Moving to cover a short term injury would coaching malfeasance

I think if Cotric plays well in the trials and the coaches feel he's up to it, roll with the kid. If not play it safe-ish with Turner.
I repeat, let's not reinvent the wheel here
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Yep going to have to agree with the wighton back to centre is madness sentiments

Dont delete this GE
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I'm surpised there's been no talk of moving Soliola to centre. I'm sure he's not at the same speed as he used to be, but he's not going to miss a tackle.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

RTW wrote:
Timbo wrote:I still reckon Jack in the centres and Santo to FB is the safe option.
In my opinion to win a comp you need a top class spine that is settled and have played plenty of football together.

If Wighton is our first choice fullback ( and let's face it in Stuart's eyes he is) then there is absolutely zero reason to move him to cover a short injury stint. Centres for a lot of teams are fast becoming the least important player on the field ( we are probably the exception).

Personally I would go with Cotric and leave Turner as a bench utility.

Cotric looks as though it is when not if he plays first grade. I would be looking to get him some early experience.

Turner is my second choice but selecting him leaves us with no utility back up, as I don't think Clydesdale is up to scratch.

Fox Sports has created a monster with their article about the centre position. Games are still and will continue to be, won and lost from that position. The communication is absolutely pivotal in attack and defence. They essentially set the spacing for the team in attack and defence.
Don't buy into that rubbish.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

deanoman wrote:I'm surpised there's been no talk of moving Soliola to centre. I'm sure he's not at the same speed as he used to be, but he's not going to miss a tackle.
It's probably because Paulo will also be out for round 1. At least that's why I didn't mention it, as well as fanboi-ing all over Cotric :)
Still, it is an option considering our forward depth.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

KingDynamite wrote:
RTW wrote:
Timbo wrote:I still reckon Jack in the centres and Santo to FB is the safe option.
In my opinion to win a comp you need a top class spine that is settled and have played plenty of football together.

If Wighton is our first choice fullback ( and let's face it in Stuart's eyes he is) then there is absolutely zero reason to move him to cover a short injury stint. Centres for a lot of teams are fast becoming the least important player on the field ( we are probably the exception).

Personally I would go with Cotric and leave Turner as a bench utility.

Cotric looks as though it is when not if he plays first grade. I would be looking to get him some early experience.

Turner is my second choice but selecting him leaves us with no utility back up, as I don't think Clydesdale is up to scratch.

Fox Sports has created a monster with their article about the centre position. Games are still and will continue to be, won and lost from that position. The communication is absolutely pivotal in attack and defence. They essentially set the spacing for the team in attack and defence.
Don't buy into that rubbish.

To be honest and I have no idea how to search for it I originally made that statement somewhere on here a couple of weeks before that article came out.

It's ridiculous in that every position is important so there is absolutely no point wasting time arguing that a position has limited impact but my point was that if I was building a team from scratch with a salary cap I would be looking to invest in centres who are giving you good value for money.

Of course you can argue why they are vitally important for a team but you could do that for any position.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

deanoman wrote:I'm surpised there's been no talk of moving Soliola to centre. I'm sure he's not at the same speed as he used to be, but he's not going to miss a tackle.
There hasn't been no talk. A few people have suggested it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker getting treatment six times a day in bid to beat knee injury

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says he won't rush back for the start of the NRL season to avoid long-term damage to his knee.

"I'm in a big, whopping knee brace, but hopefully I'm only in it for a week," Croker said. "I'm probably one of those guys who tries to play a little bit early [after injury], which is probably not a good thing.

"I don't want to have it happen again. So if it takes three or four weeks of the season ... it's a long year. It's going to be torture for me, it won't be much fun missing it so we'll see how we go."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... uclfx.html
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I would go Cotric, it's early in the season so it would be good for him to gain some experience in first grade. Turner looks bigger than what I thought he would,he looks a little sluggish so I don't think he will cope with playing 80 minutes in the NRL just yet.

Ricky will know what to do.

In Ricky We Trust
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I'd be shifting Whitehead 1 out, Sia 2nd row.

I don't think you debut Cotric against the Cowboys at home.
WorkChoice
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

As zim suggested, we are missing paulo rd one. Sia is also a forward leader now. We will need him there, especially early in the year

Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

What's the Fox Sports article about the Centre position?

Very interested in reading it considering I've been hinting for a few years about the decline of Centre play and waning importance of said position.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Tell Junior Toots to chill like a polar bear.

The GH has this covered.

Hodgson will know which way to call at the coin toss, Sezer will slot them from the sideline and Edrick is looking forward to someone passing him the ball before we get to September.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Maybe debut Cotric early in the season and then have him play Mounties the rest of the season, or even the next week like Lachlan Croker. Just hopefully without a godawful NRL debut

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Maybe debut Cotric early in the season and then have him play Mounties the rest of the season, or even the next week like Lachlan Croker. Just hopefully without a godawful NRL debut
I've mentioned this before so I obviously agree with it. A forced short stint is an excellent way to let the kid know where he stands and get a good idea of what he needs to work on before going back to Mounties. It stands you in great stead down the line if we say have an injury a few weeks out from the finals.
Or you find out very quickly that it is too early and you don't have to worry about learning that lesson in a critical game.

Stick has done it with Bateman and L Croker so there is some precedent.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:He was rusty. Got the shock of his life when the guy inside passed it to him.
Maybe the guy inside him would pass it more if he was a little bit more reliable in terms of his positioning and ability to catch a god damn football :lol:
Edrick's biggest problem is he doesn't go looking for the ball. Spend way too much time sitting out there waiting for things to come to him. Blaming guys inside him for not giving him enough ball is a cop out of the highest order. All the best wingers impose themselves on the game. Only have to look at the opposite side of our backline to learn how its done. Rapana sets the standard in that regard.

Eddie has the talent. No question. Need somebody to get inside his head and give him a healthy shot of self belief and mongrel.
So standing outside the bloke with the second most offloads in the league is how Eddie can impose himself on the game more huh

RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

julian87 wrote:What's the Fox Sports article about the Centre position?

Very interested in reading it considering I've been hinting for a few years about the decline of Centre play and waning importance of said position.
I think Ben Ikin was talking about how we don't see centres like Gasnier and Renouf who create something from nothing these days.. he also talked up the change in role of wingers and second rowers resulting in centres being less important.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

RTW wrote:

I think Ben Ikin was talking about how we don't see centres like Gasnier and Renouf who create something from nothing these days.. he also talked up the change in role of wingers and second rowers resulting in centres being less important.

Maybe Ikin should watch BJ. He creates plenty of opportunities from nothing.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
RTW wrote:

Maybe Ikin should watch BJ. He creates plenty of opportunities from nothing.
If I remember the article correctly I think he did actually mention BJ as an exception to the rule.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:He was rusty. Got the shock of his life when the guy inside passed it to him.
Maybe the guy inside him would pass it more if he was a little bit more reliable in terms of his positioning and ability to catch a god damn football :lol:
Edrick's biggest problem is he doesn't go looking for the ball. Spend way too much time sitting out there waiting for things to come to him. Blaming guys inside him for not giving him enough ball is a cop out of the highest order. All the best wingers impose themselves on the game. Only have to look at the opposite side of our backline to learn how its done. Rapana sets the standard in that regard.

Eddie has the talent. No question. Need somebody to get inside his head and give him a healthy shot of self belief and mongrel.
So standing outside the bloke with the second most offloads in the league is how Eddie can impose himself on the game more huh

Didn't seem to slow his cousin down. Didn't he score a four-bagger that were gifted from Croker?
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

gangrenous wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Didn't seem to slow his cousin down. Didn't he score a four-bagger that were gifted from Croker?
I was only half serious. I agree Eddie needs to lift, but we don't play to his strengths as much as we could kicking wise.

I still maintain that Croker doesn't pass enough but am much less concerned about it after 2016 than I was in 2015. I actually don't think he's a hog, he is prob just too conservative. He's got a very good flick and can certainly set up a winger with the draw and pass as we've seen when he's on. And yeah you're absolutely right re Brenko!

RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Despite height differences I would suggest Croker is much better on the air then Lee.

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

RTW wrote:Despite height differences I would suggest Croker is much better on the air then Lee.

that comes down to crokers desire to win the contest

Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:

You think Rapana's breakout season is purely because of BJ's play inside him?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote:
RTW wrote:Despite height differences I would suggest Croker is much better on the air then Lee.

I'm not sure it's much about a desire to win. There is an art and skill to attacking the ball in the air. Croker just seems to have a natural gift for judging the flight of the ball and knowing exactly when to jump to get the ball at his apex and where to jump to avoid contested catches
For the most part he just flashes through between people and takes clean catches

Lee is good in the air because of his athleticism. He's super tall and has a good vertical leap but he genuinely doesn't seem to know how to judge the flight or use his body to leverage himself into superior position
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gangrenous wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:

I think three of them were basically identical in that Parra game. It was hilarious watching Croker and Brenko set it up and then execute every time and they still couldn't figure out it was coming :roflmao
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote:
simo wrote:

I'm not sure it's much about a desire to win. There is an art and skill to attacking the ball in the air. Croker just seems to have a natural gift for judging the flight of the ball and knowing exactly when to jump to get the ball at his apex and where to jump to avoid contested catches
For the most part he just flashes through between people and takes clean catches

Lee is good in the air because of his athleticism. He's super tall and has a good vertical leap but he genuinely doesn't seem to know how to judge the flight or use his body to leverage himself into superior position
lee could be great in the air, but he doesnt put himself in the frame and thats lack of intensity/confidence/desire to win. Just being tall isnt enough these days

Dont delete this GE
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I'm firmly in the 'Eddie needs a big year' camp. The guy has ability, but hasn't kicked on to the level I thought he would have. He either gets it done this year or we move on, it's that simple.

That said, I'll be behind him 100% to make it happen. He did look down on confidence last year, so hopefully he can start the year well and kick on from there. He's a great player to watch when he's in form.

Whilst I'm wholly against the idea that Croker is a bad centre to play outside, it's possible that having a less experienced guy there for a couple of weeks to start the year will force Eddie to increase his involvement and be to the benefit of the side in the long run. I certainly wouldn't be shifting him from the wing though - everything about his game suggests to me this is his best spot, let's hope this year he truly makes it his own.
Raiders74156
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Raiders74156 »

Soliola and Hodgson to be co-captains to not put all the pressure on Hodgo, Sezer kicking and either Turner or Cotric to fill in for Toots.