Croker out injured, Hodgson stand in captain

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Croker out injured

Post by simo »

Its a big call on cotric but our club and ricky obviously rate him and a few games in the top frade, in one of his preferred positions will be good for him. It also acts as a great test to see if cotric is the one to replace eddie

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dont delete this GE
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm not voting either way at this stage; I haven't seen enough of either Cotric or Turner. That said, isn't this exactly what the trial this weekend is for? I'll wager that Sticky will play one in that spot for one half and the other gets the other half, and we'll see what happens.

Whatever happens, I'll have faith in the choice Sticky makes. He hasn't let us down yet.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Cotric is in the mix somewhere ... trains with the same bib as our regular starting team ... the injury to Croker might create a position for him
I don't post facts
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

I'd like to see how cotric goes in first grade but I suspect Ricky will have him play in Mounties regularly first before calling him up. I expect turner will get the gig.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"A team of Jarrod Croker's": Jordan Rapana backs Canberra Raiders to lead each other in NRL

Canberra Raiders front-rower Shannon Boyd has backed Josh Hodgson and Sia Soliola to replace injured captain Jarrod Croker in the opening stages of the NRL season.

"No doubt [Croker] will still be a leader from the sidelines," Rapana said. "We've got a lot of leaders here at the club and the culture's a good culture there, so I'm sure Ricky will have no problem putting someone in to take his spot.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ubctg.html
GHC
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mal

Post by GHC »

Cotric replaces Toots. Turner as bench utility. No other way without disrupting a genuine top 4 team prospect really...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
CRR

Post by CRR »

simo wrote:. It also acts as a great test to see if cotric is the one to replace eddie
i really hope edrick had a great off season and practiced a lot and also got his passion back. I want to see him have an awesome 2017, but we need to kick to him
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Passing the ball to him occasionally wouldn't hurt either.

I'm okay with Edrick in the centres. It would be a vote of confidence in him from Ricky and I think he'd measure up.

Can't see Cotric getting a start in the centres in Round 1 first year out of school.

His best chance is if Edrick is picked there, he would come into contention for a wing spot.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dunno sleeky, Wighton put it on his **** tits, as did the opposition player on our goal line, Sezer put it exactly where he should be, and none of it mattered haha
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

He was rusty. Got the shock of his life when the guy inside passed it to him.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

He wasnt rusty, he was asleep. As he is most of every game

Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sleek the Elite wrote:He was rusty. Got the shock of his life when the guy inside passed it to him.
Maybe the guy inside him would pass it more if he was a little bit more reliable in terms of his positioning and ability to catch a god damn football :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sleek the Elite wrote:Passing the ball to him occasionally wouldn't hurt either.

I'm okay with Edrick in the centres. It would be a vote of confidence in him from Ricky and I think he'd measure up.

Can't see Cotric getting a start in the centres in Round 1 first year out of school.

His best chance is if Edrick is picked there, he would come into contention for a wing spot.
Pretty much my thoughts. If Edrick is going to come back, he needs to be supported. And we seem to all forget he has a pretty good winger who had 2 bad games (his stats pre-finals stack up against most NRL wingers). He showed many good things last year which continued or built on previous form- burning pace in space, slick hands on a break, decision making in defence, size never to get monstered in contact, never pushed out (watch our wins, most opposition wingers go over the sideline once a game).

I guess hating on Eddie is the new "Croker to wing" (guilty) or "Fensom needs to go" (guilty)- we'll see next season which way that ends up.
GHC
David Shillington

Post by GHC »

Eddie is one of the best wingers in the biz suprisingly. Doubt him at your own perirl....

GHC
David Shillington

Post by GHC »

This might be a thread for elsewhere...but name better wingers suited for our club (salary cap) inclusive, anyone?

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

GHC wrote:This might be a thread for elsewhere...but name better wingers suited for our club (salary cap) inclusive, anyone?

I'd expect Edrick would be on about average coin for a winger, so possibly Ottio, Feldt, Rapana, Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Nathan Ross and probably a bunch of other guys that I would name if I wasn't too lazy to go look up team sheets
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Given his current form: Sosaia Feki, David Mead, David Nofoaluma, Daniel Tupou, George Jennings.

Croker to the wing was mostly a product of bad inside defence being entirely blamed on him.
Fensom needs to go did happen, and ended up being mostly justified. Not sure the point on that one.

You guys are confusing Eddies top drawer with his 2016 form. It's not through a lack of support either. Catching a ball and being in the right position are a wingers bread and butter. Croker is not the reason Eddie's form has dropped.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:He was rusty. Got the shock of his life when the guy inside passed it to him.
Maybe the guy inside him would pass it more if he was a little bit more reliable in terms of his positioning and ability to catch a god damn football :lol:
Edrick's biggest problem is he doesn't go looking for the ball. Spend way too much time sitting out there waiting for things to come to him. Blaming guys inside him for not giving him enough ball is a cop out of the highest order. All the best wingers impose themselves on the game. Only have to look at the opposite side of our backline to learn how its done. Rapana sets the standard in that regard.

Eddie has the talent. No question. Need somebody to get inside his head and give him a healthy shot of self belief and mongrel.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I thought Edrick's biggest problem over the season was a persistent ankle injury?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Whatever you think his biggest problem was, he needs to change his attitude very quickly from 2016. 2 bad games? Did tony archer do that review? Edrick was not "in" at least 80% of games. Yes he did his job occasionally when the ball gets kicked down his throat orcroker handed it to him, but wingers are more than a tall bloke that hangs out with the touchy now.

Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Interesting that Lee has 7 different biggest problems and different people all know what they are.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

It was also interesting last year that fensom had no problems within his game according to most

Dont delete this GE
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

julian87 wrote:Interesting that Lee has 7 different biggest problems and different people all know what they are.
I thought he had 10 different problems, 5 on each hand
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I know this will be unpopular but.

We could chuck santo in at fullback who would love going against his former club and wighton at left centre where from memory he was really good early in his career.

Santo really is a quality back up full back and it would imo be a wise defensive move for us. The only thing we would lose is the bit of ball playing that wighton has added in towards the end of last year.

I am not sure its the path I would go but its worth a thought if the other options at left centre arent really up to scratch.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Ginga wrote:
julian87 wrote:Interesting that Lee has 7 different biggest problems and different people all know what they are.
I thought he had 10 different problems, 5 on each hand
I heard he's got 99 problems but his baby's mother ain't one.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I wouldn't be against Cotric starting at centre as he looks ready physically to me but Turner was signed as a back up centre(basically a direct replacement for Brenko Lee with added utility value) so I'd be very very surprised if he wasn't given first crack
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

papabear wrote:I know this will be unpopular but.

We could chuck santo in at fullback who would love going against his former club and wighton at left centre where from memory he was really good early in his career.

Santo really is a quality back up full back and it would imo be a wise defensive move for us. The only thing we would lose is the bit of ball playing that wighton has added in towards the end of last year.

I am not sure its the path I would go but its worth a thought if the other options at left centre arent really up to scratch.
It would be silly to take Wighton out of his best position, which is now fullback. The back half of last year, Wighton came into his own at fullback and changing him from that position would disrupt the flow of the team. I think Cotric is really the only option to cover Croker.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I agree that Santo is a good backup fullback. For when our fullback is injured/suspended. Otherwise he keeps doing a good job at Mounties.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Eddie is more than capable of turning it around. I hope he does. But if he doesn't he most likely won't be here in 2018.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote:Eddie is more than capable of turning it around. I hope he does. But if he doesn't he most likely won't be here in 2018.
100% agree with this.
At his absolute best i think Edrick is one of the best 10 wingers in the game. But we cant wait around much longer for him to find that consistency. It's a big year for him. He's certainly got the talent to make that position his own and lock it down. Lets hope he does just that.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

As i've told many people, it seems as if Eddie is low in confidence.

When he first burst onto the scene, he was an arial attacking threat. In the past two season, I have not seen him (correct me if i'm wrong) score a single try from a cross field kick or bomb.

Considering his size and height you would think that this would be an advantage to him. Low and behold, everytime a kick occured last year he waited for the opposition to catch the ball instead of trying to score.

From the limited amount of time i've seen Cotric, I believe he will surpass Eddie this year to take his wing spot.

Whilst Croker is injured, Cotric should take his spot with Turner remaining on the bench as a utility.
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

Maybe we should wait until the start of the season to make any sort of judgment on Edrick. He was obviously a bit distracted with family matters last season. For all we know, this could be his breakout season. At the start of last year, everyone was up in arms about Rapana being selected on the wing and this year it seems to be Edrick who's the target. It's still pre-season, let's not call for his head just yet.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

SeeBee101 wrote:As i've told many people, it seems as if Eddie is low in confidence.

When he first burst onto the scene, he was an arial attacking threat. In the past two season, I have not seen him (correct me if i'm wrong) score a single try from a cross field kick or bomb.

Considering his size and height you would think that this would be an advantage to him. Low and behold, everytime a kick occured last year he waited for the opposition to catch the ball instead of trying to score.
I think we have kicked to Eddie about 3 times in the last 2 years.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Heard a brief snippet of Croker on the radio and he mentioned that he'll make sure he is 100% before coming back which could be up to 8 weeks
I don't post facts
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Cotric just interviewed on 7 news

Dont delete this GE