Croker out injured, Hodgson stand in captain

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Croker out injured

Post by Raiders666 »

Probably going to affect his whole career now... The knee will never be the same
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote:Probably going to affect his whole career now... The knee will never be the same
u wot m8?
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

Naden > cotric
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Raiders666 wrote:Probably going to affect his whole career now... The knee will never be the same
I doubt we will see him kick again this year. Not many goal kickers continue on once major injuries occur - would be silly to give him the duties coming back from 2 major injuries to the same knee within 6 months when you don't loose anything with Sezer as your back up.

Quite possibly will not kick again for his career depending how strong it is in 12 months time.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

scotchberry wrote:
I doubt we will see him kick again this year. Not many goal kickers continue on once major injuries occur - would be silly to give him the duties coming back from 2 major injuries to the same knee within 6 months when you don't loose anything with Sezer as your back up.

Quite possibly will not kick again for his career depending how strong it is in 12 months time.
Have i missed something?
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Archer wrote:
scotchberry wrote:

Have i missed something?
Ridiculous over reaction.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

It went from what appeared to be somewhat good news, to discussion around whether we need to amputate or put him out to pasture. Couldn't tell if was serious or tongue in cheek, or if perhaps I'd not clicked the next page and instead ended up on a different thread.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's the GH, next it will be should he bulk up and play in the forwards cause his lateral movement is gone
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Manbush wrote:I didn't bother watching the "All stars" game but what kinda speed did Turner have, heard he's kinda slow.
He didn't looked quick or agile. He'd be doing more tackle busting and offloading, or grubbering if he's out wide.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Archer wrote:It went from what appeared to be somewhat good news, to discussion around whether we need to amputate or put him out to pasture. Couldn't tell if was serious or tongue in cheek, or if perhaps I'd not clicked the next page and instead ended up on a different thread.
Can't tackle, hogs the ball and now only has one leg. The writing's on the wall Archer... :P
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

I think naden will get a go over cotric.

Turner off the bench - we can't ask him to be playing 80 mins this early in the season his not acclimatized to the speed or the heat yet. His first few efforts in the all star game in defence the attackers ran right through him.

I think his going to be sparingly used at hooker if his on the bench. His role will probably be to come on and play edge forward i.e. Hodgson will be playing 80min games dunno if it will all be at hooker though

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

What's this talk of not kicking this year to never being able to kick again. Jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

CJ42 wrote:What's this talk of not kicking this year to never being able to kick again. Jesus Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard he actually died in the All Stars game and all recent sightings are due to a Weekend at Bernies type scenario
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the entire Croker line was wiped out during that game
RIP lachie
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Gorilla wrote:I think naden will get a go over cotric.

Turner off the bench - we can't ask him to be playing 80 mins this early in the season his not acclimatized to the speed or the heat yet. His first few efforts in the all star game in defence the attackers ran right through him.

I think his going to be sparingly used at hooker if his on the bench. His role will probably be to come on and play edge forward i.e. Hodgson will be playing 80min games dunno if it will all be at hooker though

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah, the plan to replace Toots will be the biggest thing to come out of the trial. I think Naden is a genuine chance here, although moving Lee into centre and starting Cotric on the wing is another possibility. I think there is zero chance of moving Wighton, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, it suddenly makes the trial game a bit more interesting.
rovert
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by rovert »

For mine, we only have one option .........We name Croker to play and stick Paulo out there in Croker's jumper and head gear. surely no one will notice :lol:
The last thing I remember is me saying "hold my beer and watch this".
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

rovert wrote:For mine, we only have one option .........We name Croker to play and stick Paulo out there in Croker's jumper and head gear. surely no one will notice :lol:
Haha, this is it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This injury seems like a really good excuse to try something different

Wighton to 5/8th, rapana to centre, and.... AUSTIN TO FULLBACK!

Make it happen stick!

Also Croker to the wing when he gets back
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Stuart would be losing some sleep after letting Brenko go. That'll come back to haunt us!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I still reckon Jack in the centres and Santo to FB is the safe option.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

zim wrote:
rovert wrote:For mine, we only have one option .........We name Croker to play and stick Paulo out there in Croker's jumper and head gear. surely no one will notice :lol:
Haha, this is it.
Makes more sense than some of the suggestions in this thread.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Timbo wrote:I still reckon Jack in the centres and Santo to FB is the safe option.
Based on Santo's defence, I think he's pretty far from a safe choice. Besides, moving Wighton would seriously weaken a key position.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jack stays put imo.....

Turner, Cotric, Lee can fill a void for a week or two...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Honestly can not believe some of these 'solutions' I'm seeing on here, and they're serious too.

Turner to centre is deadset the very, very obvious option. He's really not suited to the bench utility role to start with considering he's too big to play hooker. He's played 229 ESL games and the vast majority of them have been at centre. He's skillful so he's played at five-eighth too, yes.

Now I keep seeing Naden's name mentioned. Surely, surely he's behind Turner, Ottio (when fit), Cotric and Santo. I realise you shouldn't make snap judgements on players but Naden was that bad in the Mounties finals run last year that I honestly just can't believe he's being mentioned. His defence was up there with Mosese Pangai's.

And someone said moving Wighton to centre to accommodate Santo is the safe option. If ousting an important spine player from a top 4 team is the safe option then I'm going the unsafe one and putting my house on it in doing so.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

-PJ- wrote:Jack stays put imo.....

Turner, Cotric, Lee can fill a void for a week or two...
This
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote:Honestly can not believe some of these 'solutions' I'm seeing on here, and they're serious too.

Turner to centre is deadset the very, very obvious option. He's really not suited to the bench utility role to start with considering he's too big to play hooker. He's played 229 ESL games and the vast majority of them have been at centre. He's skillful so he's played at five-eighth too, yes.

Now I keep seeing Naden's name mentioned. Surely, surely he's behind Turner, Ottio (when fit), Cotric and Santo. I realise you shouldn't make snap judgements on players but Naden was that bad in the Mounties finals run last year that I honestly just can't believe he's being mentioned. His defence was up there with Mosese Pangai's.

And someone said moving Wighton to centre to accommodate Santo is the safe option. If ousting an important spine player from a top 4 team is the safe option then I'm going the unsafe one and putting my house on it in doing so.
I endose these statements.
Turner to centre is a no brainer.
Meaning Clysdale to the bench.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Timbo wrote:I still reckon Jack in the centres and Santo to FB is the safe option.
In my opinion to win a comp you need a top class spine that is settled and have played plenty of football together.

If Wighton is our first choice fullback ( and let's face it in Stuart's eyes he is) then there is absolutely zero reason to move him to cover a short injury stint. Centres for a lot of teams are fast becoming the least important player on the field ( we are probably the exception).

Personally I would go with Cotric and leave Turner as a bench utility.

Cotric looks as though it is when not if he plays first grade. I would be looking to get him some early experience.

Turner is my second choice but selecting him leaves us with no utility back up, as I don't think Clydesdale is up to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No way Wighton gets moved

He looked like a boss in the all stars game, which shows he's finally settled into fullback
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote:No way Wighton gets moved

He looked like a boss in the all stars game, which shows he's finally settled into fullback
I agree with sentence 1.

On sentence 2 I'd say that game and anything that happened in it should probably be forgotten.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Julian nailed a few posts above
Let's not remake the wheel here haha
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Naden , Cotric and Turner all get at least half a game at centre (either side) during the trial v Newy. Chuck Dave taylor in the mix too (if we don't think NRL will suspend him on re-registered contract).

Best performed gets the spot. If none impress, I'd go Edric at centre and Cotric/Naden on the wing (Santo too small).

We are looking at maybe 4 weeks without Croker. We need fair dinkum centre option and I don't wanna mess the spine around (Jack) for that long.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote:Julian nailed a few posts above
I don't think you've considered that if we do move Wighton to centre and Austin to fullback we could then easily push Hodgson to halfback and bring back buttris at hooker?
Changed your mind yet?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Sia or hodgo captain, Blake doesn't have the head for it
Everyone stays put and we just add Turner or Cotric

Reminder we need to use the KISS technique

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'd be amazed if Cotric gets a run in the centres at this stage, good chance for a wing spot if Eddie gets the nod at 3.

I'm sure Turner, Naden and Lee will all get a shot in the trial.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

kiwi raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:Julian nailed a few posts above
I don't think you've considered that if we do move Wighton to centre and Austin to fullback we could then easily push Hodgson to halfback and bring back buttris at hooker?
Changed your mind yet?
Sold. Put me down for one of these