Through green eyes 2017

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Through green eyes 2017

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"Teams improve and prepare for you and we have to, too. We've got to be better than last year because teams are hunting us now. Last year we were ambushing and surprising a few teams so it was always going to be a tougher season this year. It's very good education for a young bunch."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Round 10 2017. It was the ugliest, the most embarrassing, of the losses to date this season. A loss to a team that has won two matches in their last 35 games. A loss to a team last on the ladder, with just one win for the season. Yet it was a loss to a team that out-enthused and out-played the Raiders. Three losses in a row for Canberra. They're just two competition points outside the eight, but are six competition points away from the top four. After recent losses, coach Ricky Stuart has kept saying that the problems are easy to fix. Clearly, they're not easy to fix.

There's no point panicking if you're the coach. He's the one who must keep a level head. And he has a team playing without any confidence. And I think Ricky Stuart has learned some lessons about what to say and what not to say in press conferences. Don't expect to hear what he's saying to the players behind closed doors in a post match press conference. Which probably explains the lines we heard in the press conference. Things like the Raiders are not going to blow away teams like they did in 2016. And that the Raiders are now the hunted. That they can't surprise other teams, as they did last season.

Some of that's true. But there's something amiss with the way the Raiders are playing and there's something amiss with the attitude of the team on field.

In 2017, Ricky Stuart is clearly aiming to prepare his team to win the sorts of matches they lost to the Sharks and Storm in last year's finals campaign. He's been coaching them on how to win the close games, how to get in the grind. However, this year, they're not winning the close games, not so far. And there's not much point learning the grind for the finals, if you're not within cooee of a finals placing. It's a genuine question... do the Raiders have the squad to play this style? Because they certainly are not showing it at the moment. The conflict between the grind and the flamboyant aptitudes of the players seemed to be best summed up by the decision to take a shot at penalty goal in the first half, to go to a four point lead. The 2016 Raiders would not have done that. And it seems to just invite the opposition back into the contest. And that's promptly what happened.

The attitude? The Raiders surely should not be so complacent, so arrogant, that they felt they should simply turn up and beat the Knights. Not after the losses to the Sea Eagles and the Bulldogs. But they didn't look like they'd turned up to play yesterday. It was not a question of effort, not against the Knights. But I think it has now got to the point that confidence is down. It's a difficult balancing act, arrogance, confidence, complacency, respect for the opposition. And arrogance is not a bad thing if you translate the word as "confidence". But the magical things which a confident team could do last year are not coming off this year. There were a couple of instances from the match with the Knights which stuck in my mind. A Blake Austin flick pass over the sideline. A Junior Paulo pass out wide that goes over the sideline. Those passes fall into the hands of a player in green in 2016. Not in 2017.

I think it fundamentally comes down to not being patient and consistently committed enough to do the hard yards in the middle. Other teams are indeed preparing well for the Raiders. The opposition coaches now have a well developed manual on how to beat Canberra. So you see teams, even the team running last, successfully employ tactics like kicking to the sidelines to keep the ball out of the hands of Rapana and Leilua. Yesterday, for the first 10 minutes of the second half, the forwards rolled the sleeves up, the play makers played direct, and the Raiders looked good. But they didn't for the other 70 minutes. In the other 70 minutes, we saw things like Josh Hodgson repeatedly caught with the ball at dummy half. A platform in the forwards creates space for the playmakers, which allows the backs to do the magic. That's what's needed, in that order.

The other explanation for the attitude problem? It's the absence of competition for positions. The Raiders' depth has taken a severe hit with the loss of players like Paul Vaughan and Brenko Lee. It was salary cap pressure which forced Canberra to release those sorts of players. And they're showing their worth for other clubs now. But there are few, if any, players in the Mounties team putting real pressure on the first grade team. And as soon as a player is injured or suspended, there are not quality players to draw upon. Ricky Stuart has previously made much of the need for competition for a place in the team in every position. It's just not there, at the moment.

Stats that mattered? Well, the key one was six tries to three. The Knights had 55 per cent possession, and an 88 per cent completion rate. The Raiders completed at 69 per cent. The running metres were just about even (1321 for the Knights, 1331 for the Raiders). There weren't many kicking metres in the match, but the Knights outdid Canberra through constant kicking for the sidelines. The Knights actually missed more tackles than Canberra (38-30), but clearly not at the most critical stages. It was as simple as that.

Memorable moments? There weren't many for Canberra. Nick Cotric scored a double, good tries no doubt. But the most memorable things were the things of the sort I mentioned earlier. I'm still shaking my head at some of them.

Best performers?

Junior Paulo. 167 metres from 19 runs, 23 tackles, four offloads, one tackle break.

Sia Soliola. 111 metres from 13 runs, 33 tackles, one tackle break.

Nick Cotric. Two tries, 101 metres from 10 runs, two line breaks, seven tackle breaks.

Metre eaters: Junior Paulo 167 metres from 19 runs, Sia Soliola 111 metres from 13 runs, Jarrod Croker 109 metres from seven runs. It is worth noting that Jordan Rapana, usually one of the top players for running metres, made only 64 metres from nine runs. It shows how successful the Knights were in keeping the ball out of his hands through kicking.

Top tacklers: Josh Hodgson (54), Shannon Boyd (39), Sia Soliola and Elliott Whitehead (33).

My player ratings:

Jack Wighton 5
Nick Cotric 7
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 5
Jordan Rapana 5
Blake Austin 5
Aidan Sezer 5
Junior Paulo 7
Josh Hodgson 6
Shannon Boyd 7
Joseph Tapine 6
Elliott Whitehead 6
Luke Bateman 1

Sia Soliola 7
Adam Clydsdale 3
Dunamis Lui 5
Clay Priest 5

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let me know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes 2017

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: 200

It's another trip to Sydney's Olympic Stadium at Homebush this weekend, the second of three trips to the ground in the regular season this year. The last one wasn't such a great experience, just a few weeks ago, because of the poor performance from the Raiders against the Bulldogs.

I'm hoping the next two - against the Eels and the Rabbitohs - produce much better results. And I'm still hoping that there might be at least one more visit for the Raiders to Homebush at the end of this season - on Grand Final day.

The prospects aren't looking great at the moment. The Green Machine has been spluttering in the past few weeks. Opposition teams now have a list of tactics designed to upset the Raiders' attack and they've been doing it successfully. Add one more after last week, thanks to Knights coach Nathan Brown - rushing Josh Hodgson at dummy half.

But the Raiders players are still the ones who took the team to a second placing last year - largely, anyway. We know they can play. However, I have to be honest and say the attitude has looked poor in recent weeks. There's been more than a whiff of complacency. Against the Knights, the body language showed the confidence is taking a dent too.

And as we know, losing is a disease. As contagious as polio. As contagious as bubonic plague.

Ah, but curable! It's not cured by imagining you're at a ship at sea, gently rocking. It's cured by winning. There's no magic solution for that, it's just hard slog and determination.

One Raiders fan has already given the famous Al Pacino speech from "On Any Given Sunday" a green tinge, with images and video of the Raiders, this week on Facebook. That speech is an old one but a good one.

As Al says... "Life is a game of inches. So is football. In either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. One half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow or too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us... On this team we fight for that inch."

That does remind me a lot of what's been happening on field for Canberra in the past few weeks. The timing has just been a bit off. The passes that stuck last year are not sticking at the moment. And to get through that takes fight.

I'm hoping there's been enough wake up calls the last few weeks. Things will look pretty bleak if the Raiders lose to the Eels on Saturday night. But I'm tipping that there'll be plenty of fight in the Raiders this week.

I headed to Cessnock to watch Mounties play the Newcastle Knights last Saturday, and there were quite a few other Raiders fans who did the same. We got to see the first match of new Fijian recruit Masivesi Dakuwaqa - and the return of Kurt Baptiste to the field after a long lay off, recovering from a ruptured Achilles.

Dakuwaqa came on for the last 25 minutes of the match and made some good bullocking runs and scored a try, taking advantage of a huge overlap. So I can see why the Raiders have recruited the former rugby union sevens player. But he is definitely a "project". It's going to take a while to get him into peak fitness - not least because he was sporting a worrying amount of tape on the knee and arm. I'm not expecting him to press for first grade in the near term.

Baptiste, on the other hand, made a good return. He came on to replace Glen Buttriss in the first half, but his game was cut short after a head clash and a failed HIA. He's named again for Mounties this week, but if Saturday is an indication, he should be back on the bench in the NRL soon.

When Raiders captain Jarrod Croker runs out this Saturday night, it'll be for the 200th time in an NRL match. The 200th time in the green.

He won't be the youngest NRL player to pass the 200 games milestone. He'll be 26 years and 251 days old when he does it. But he'll be one of the youngest ever - behind Mitchell Pearce, Craig Wing and Luke Patten.

He will match the 200 game mark reached by David Furner on Saturday. With one more match, he'll be the equal 10th most capped Raiders player - alongside Dane Tilse. It won't be long before he overtakes Ricky Stuart (203 games) and Chris O'Sullivan (204). No doubt it'll take a while to match the most capped Raider, Jason Croker (318), but it's quite conceivable he could do it.

Two hundred games for Croker is another milestone in a career full of them. No Canberra Raiders player has scored more points (1490) or goals (541). No Canberra Raiders player has scored more points in a season (296 points in 2016). He is the third highest try scorer for the Raiders (102 tries, behind Jason Croker on 120 and Brett Mullins on 105). He seems destined to be the highest try scorer as well.

I first saw Croker play in a junior representatives match at Seiffert Oval. I'm fairly certain it was a Harold Matthews match - Under 16s. He scored try after try and it wasn't too hard to tell he'd become a great NRL player. As I recall, the first grade team wasn't going too well, and it became a standing joke that he needed immediate promotion to first grade.

Actually, it wasn't that long before he did make his first grade debut - aged just 18 - in Round 2 of the 2009 season. It was a loss to the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium. He scored his first try in Round 3 against the Eels. He made 21 NRL appearances in his debut season.

The previous year, he was one of the stars of the Raiders' premiership winning 2008 NYC team. They memorably defeated the Brisbane Broncos in extra time by a golden try. That team was littered with players with huge potential - and Croker was certainly one of them.

Yet, he was not the Canberra Raiders player named at centre in the NYC Team of the Year. That was Justin Carney. Shaun Fensom and Joel Thompson were the other players who made it into that team.

There were others in the Canberra NYC team who the Raiders fans expected to be part of the Green Machine for many years to come, as well. The likes of Josh Dugan, Daniel Vidot, Travis Waddell, Jarrad Kennedy. Yet it is Croker who is the only survivor in the Raiders' NRL team today.

The local boy from Goulburn not only survived, he became the Raiders captain. He was named the Dally M Captain of the Year and the Provan Summons Medallist in 2016. He's won a Meninga Medal and two Canberra Raiders' Fans Choice Player of the Year awards.

Clearly, he's a very good footballer, sadly overlooked for State of Origin and Kangaroos selection - at least to date. But the Canberra Raiders fans don't just appreciate him because he's a very good footballer. I remember after the trial match at Orange last year - and he was absolutely mobbed by supporters. It's because of the way he behaves on and off field - and the way he treats the fans. He's got the sort of humility that Australians want to see in their most loved sports people.

He's a captain the fans can be proud of. May he be Raiders captain for many years to come.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the current leader boards.

Total points after Round 10:

Jordan Rapana 70
Josh Papalii 67
Nick Cotric 67
Iosia Soliola 66
Blake Austin 65
Joey Leilua 64
Josh Hodgson 63
Aidan Sezer 62
Junior Paulo 62
Jack Wighton 59
Shannon Boyd 59
Elliott Whitehead 57
Jarrod Croker 52
Luke Bateman 52
Joseph Tapine 51
Clay Priest 39
Adam Clydsdale 33
Dunamis Lui 20
Dave Taylor 12
Jeff Lima 9
Zac Santo 6
Scott Sorensen 3

Average points per match after Round 10:

Josh Papalii 7.4
Jordan Rapana 7.0
Junior Paulo 6.9
Nick Cotric 6.7
Iosia Soliola 6.6
Jack Wighton 6.6
Blake Austin 6.5
Jarrod Croker 6.5
Joey Leilua 6.4
Joseph Tapine 6.4
Elliott Whitehead 6.3
Josh Hodgson 6.3
Aidan Sezer 6.2
Dave Taylor 6.0
Zac Santo 6.0
Shannon Boyd 5.9
Clay Priest 5.6
Luke Bateman 5.2
Dunamis Lui 5.0
Jeff Lima 4.5
Adam Clydsdale 3.7
Scott Sorensen 3.0

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Great write up GE. Crokes is indeed a very special player.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson

Post by Green thumbs »

A terrific read, GE. I love all you wrote about Croker. Please send it to the Canberra Times, as it deserves a wider readership. We have been so blessed with fantastic captains In Tonguey and Croker - people you can really admire and who are inspiring examples to both the kids and adult supporters alike.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Great stuff GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"Tough game of football. I haven't got a problem with our ability in winning tight games. We just haven't been winning a few of them. We won that one. That's never been an issue within our camp. We've got a couple of other little issues in regards to our mindset of how we're playing. That changed tonight. That's something we've been speaking about as a group. I thought the boys were very, very good at grinding away that win tonight and getting a little bit of confidence back. It doesn't matter how tough you are mentally, it knocks your confidence around in regards to losing those three games."

"We did that for Jarrod tonight for his 200th game. We sent a message on there after we scored that try with seven or eight minutes to go, if we can't do this now for our captain we're a shallow bunch. But I know they're not and I know that was inspiration on the back end of that game and also for 80 minutes because he deserves what he got tonight in regards to that result."

Round 11 2017. It was a 22-16 win over the Eels. It was less than polished. It did look slick at times, particularly at the start of the match. But there were some poor choices at times. There were some critical errors. But the most important thing was that it was a win, that it restores confidence. It is clear that Ricky Stuart has a plan and he's a man of his convictions. He wants the team to play a grinding style of football and that's what they did last night. There were some moments of brilliance in how they ran away to a 10 point lead, how they came back after trailing by six points. But for good stretches of the game, it was grinding, it was dour. Will this match be the equivalent of the win against the Warriors in 2016? That was a win that sent the Raiders on a climb up the ladder.

Stuart suggested that the Eels scored a couple of lucky tries just before half time, with the bounce of the ball favouring them. It did, but there were also some grabbing tackles which did not stop them. But there's also no doubt that the team showed courage to turn it around in the second half.

After the team scored what was ultimately the match winning try, Stuart sent a message on the field. It said this: "If we can't do this now for our captain, we're a shallow bunch". But they are not and they did do it. They did it for the captain and Croker got the result he deserves. So maybe the Raiders got rid of the milestone game hoodoo as well.

Stats that mattered? This week the key one was 22-16. The Raiders made just eight errors, but seemed to come in concentrated bursts - notably early in the second half. The Raiders only had 47 per cent possession. Canberra conceded more penalties (7-5). And despite the fact the completion rate was fairly good at 78 per cent, the Eels completed at 86 per cent. The Eels won the running metres (1660-1491 metres) and the offloads (14-12). It put the Eels in position to win, but ultimately they missed too many tackles. They missed 45, the Raiders 33. The Green Machine took the opportunities when offered - and in the end, the defence was just a little too good.

Memorable moments? There were some very good tries for the Green Machine. Cotric was outstanding early after a great pass from Wighton put him in a narrow channel of open space on the sideline. He somehow managed to ground the ball over the line in the corner, just remaining in the field of play. In the 69th minute, the Raiders produced a stunning effort, with Jarrod Croker batting back a bomb, it was kicked back by Hodgson and it went wide to Rapana for a beautiful "try". Only problem was it was a NO TRY, the bunker ruling Hodgson was off side in the play. The best of the tries was probably the last, with Austin and Wighton combining to send Rapana over in the corner for the match winner. Lovely stuff, with Rapana performing his usual acrobatics to just ground the ball in the corner.

I should also mention a great tackle from Josh Papalii on Tepai Moeroa in the first half. It was a tough, it was powerful, a great hit and Moeroa is probably still feeling it this morning.

Best performers?

Junior Paulo. 209 metres from 23 runs, 17 tackles, four offloads, five tackle breaks.

Josh Papalii. 172 metres from 17 runs, 30 tackles, three offloads, three tackle breaks.

Jordan Rapana. One try, 173 metres from 17 runs, one line break, six tackle breaks - but two errors.

Jack Wighton. 178 metres from 20 runs, two try assists, one line break, six tackle breaks - but three errors.

A notable mention to Nick Cotric who scored a try and produced 10 tackle breaks!

Metre eaters: Junior Paulo 209 metres from 23 runs, Jack Wighton 178 metres from 20 runs, Jordan Rapana 173 metres from 17 runs, Josh Papalii 172 metres from 17 runs.

Top tacklers: Elliott Whitehead (41), Josh Hodgson (34), Josh Papalii (30).

My player ratings:

Jack Wighton 7
Nick Cotric 7
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 6
Jordan Rapana 7
Blake Austin 6
Aidan Sezer 5
Junior Paulo 8
Josh Hodgson 7
Shannon Boyd 6
Josh Papalii 8
Elliott Whitehead 7
Joseph Tapine 7

Adam Clydsdale dnp
Sia Soliola 6
Clay Priest 4
Dunamis Lui 6

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I disagree with Ricky that this team doesn't have a problem winning close games. They can't kick a field goal, and decision making at critical times has been poor. They won last night despite those problems, it is not evidence they don't have issues in close games.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I would of loved to see us set for the 1 at the end there to go up by 7.. even if it was just to get the monkey off the back

Instead Hodgo kicked it into feet.. again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:I would of loved to see us set for the 1 at the end there to go up by 7.. even if it was just to get the monkey off the back

Me too, although thinking about it later it's not a great spot. Most likely we miss and give them a 7 tackle set with time to spare. I think not going for the point is justifiable, kicking on the third not so much...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote:I would of loved to see us set for the 1 at the end there to go up by 7.. even if it was just to get the monkey off the back

That's what I was waiting for. 4mins to go, right in front of the posts...kick the @and$?!0 field goal.

Then Parra storm up field and fank gord they didn't score late to take it to GP.

Which we would have ballsed up...(you know it).

It was not needed and plain stooooopid.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

We looked much better with Austin stepping back a bit and simplifying with the left side getting more involved.
Thought 5 was a bit harsh on Sezer.

Wighton was so up and down. Seeing him really involve himself after dropping the 2 bombs to try and make it up to the team was a good sign. Nailed some pin point passing.

Steps in the right direction. Just lacking some polish in key moments.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Watching at the ground I thought at least in the first half that the Hodgo/Sezer/Austin balance was obviously improved, with Hodgo choosing better times to have a run, and Sezer receiving the ball and guiding the team around more than Austo. Having listened to the Grandstand interview with Austo, he obviously has been told that he needs to take a step back from trying to be the organizing half. Lets hope that leads to him getting his mojo back, and Sezer stepping up.

Early signs were good, and from memory, a similar thing happened last year where Sticky had to define everyone role in the spine. This was around the time we started a winning streak.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It's a delicate balance when you have players like Hodgson and Austin in the spine. You want them to play what's in front of them as they have the ability to create out of nothing but they also need to step back at times.

The set where hodgo came up with a nothing kick on the third was an example of a set where sezer needed to get the ball on the last and look for a repeat set or put the ball in to touch.

We also need to be a bit smarter about when we try things. I can see how hard it is to coach players to play footy sometimes and put the cue in the rack and grind at other times but that is what we need to learn to be our best. We pushed passes a few times on Saturday that didn't need to be thrown as we already had the momentum but it seems like our mindset is to keep going.

Some more game sense and we are a much better footy team.
irvste
Sam Backo

Post by irvste »

Definitely glimpses of our best and we look better when we use both edges..at times its seemed like we have gone to the rapana (or whatever the commentators called him) side too often rather than mixing it up...was still a frustrating game to watch when u know they can be so much better..wins a win though
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

irvste wrote: its seemed like we have gone to the rapana (or whatever the commentators called him)
It's okay, his name is still spelt Rapana. We can't hear your inner monologue pronounce it Image
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Rappa-na
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's the Maori way of saying it

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

5 is very harsh on Sezer and actually, completely unfair. He had a hand in 3/4 tries, forced the drop out that lead to our 4th and defended strongly all night. His long kicks found grass and his only real error was kicking on the third. Hodgson had at least 3 terrible kicks, wighton was the reason we were under so much pressure and Austin had some bad kicks, dropped an offload that he should have caught as well yet they all get 7!

I'm sure if you watch the game again and look at what Sezer actually does you would realize he was at least a 6 and probably a 7!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: No reason for complacency

Finally we're back home this week! It seems like a long time since the last game at Canberra Stadium, and that's because it is. It's been more than a month. Not only that, it is going to be another month before the Raiders play at home again. It's hardly the ideal scheduling, but I guess the silver lining is the good run of home games in the second half of the season.

In any case, it'll be your only chance to see the Raiders in Canberra in the space of two months, so take the opportunity to get to the match!

It's been a fairly tough past month for the team and fans, with the Green Machine enduring a three game losing streak. And let's be frank, they were matches the Raiders should have won if the attitude had been right - at the very least, a couple of them.

The losing streak was thankfully broken last Saturday night against the Eels at Stadium Australia. There was some very good football played - and it showed what Canberra can do when the forwards go forward, the play makers straighten the attack, and players run onto the ball.

There were still some rough patches - poor defence and choices which let the Eels back into the match. So much so, the Eels took the lead. But the team showed that they could tough it out and win for their captain in his 200th NRL match.

It was a needed boost to confidence. And hopefully it is the start of a form revival. In 2016, the Raiders were never outside the top eight. That's not been the case in 2017. Early this year, Ricky Stuart said that the big strategy was for the team to be strongest at the back end of the season. With one more round, we'll have hit the half way mark in the regular season. So the time is now.

This weekend, Canberra face a Sydney Roosters team that is heavily disrupted by State of Origin. They're missing five players; the Raiders are missing just one.

The Raiders of old would treat such a game complacently, and under-estimate the opposition. And get smacked.

So what happens on Sunday afternoon will be a good test of where the Raiders are at in 2017.

There is no reason for complacency, no reason to underestimate this Roosters team. It is still full of very good players, more than capable of taking a win away from the national capital.

Coach Ricky Stuart will be leaving his team in no doubt about that. And provided they're switched on, the Raiders should be too strong and come away with a win.

The Raiders are playing in special jerseys this weekend in support of the Ricky Stuart Foundation and to promote #AutismWellbeing. It features a design from two children with autism - and major sponsor Huawei has given over the front of the jersey to allow it to happen.

The Ricky Stuart Foundation is doing remarkable things, having built one respite centre in Canberra for children with disabilities - Ricky Stuart House - and there is another on the way.

Last night, Fox League's League Life program featured a story on a young Bungendore Tigers player, Hudson Young, who has autism. It was inspiring to see how he loves his footy, and pushes ahead with his life.

The coach's foundation is about helping kids like Hudson - and it makes me proud to see what he's doing for the community. He's a special person.

The game day jerseys will be auctioned for the charity and you'll be able to donate to the Foundation on game day. You can also buy the jersey through raidersshop.com.au. It is currently on pre-order: https://raidersshop.com.au/products/201 ... 9707869891

I hope all Raiders fans get behind the cause in some way.

It's that time of year again. State of Origin I is just under a week away and it is dominating the sporting landscape in Australia.

It leaves little time for coverage of the NRL matches still taking place - but I do prefer Origin mid-week, rather than on stand alone weekends as many people propose.

There's two reasons for that.

First, it provides massive exposure for our code - and television ratings - in its midweek, evening time slot. Thanks to Origin, our code has the equivalent of three extra Grand Finals every year. They're amongst the biggest television events of the year. So, I don't think you should mess with a winning formula lightly.

Secondly, when we did experiment with Origin on stand alone weekends, there was an outcry from the fans, because there was too little football being played. It was leaving much of the weekend clear for competing codes.

Under the new broadcasting deal from next season, one Origin match will be played on a weekend, while two will continue to be played mid week. It is intended that other representative football, like the Pacific Tests, will be played on that new "Origin weekend" - so that should help overcome the footy deficit in the usual weekend time slots. Perhaps it's not a bad compromise.

The Raiders only have one representative in Origin I - with Josh Papalii starting in the second row for the Maroons. It's well deserved, he's been playing some sensational footy.

Canberra players have again been "snubbed" by the Blues. There's two players I feel really sorry for: Junior Paulo and Jarrod Croker.

Paulo - along with former Raider Paul Vaughan - has been one of the best performed props of 2017. He's averaged 137 metres from 14 runs per match, makes 9.5 metres for every run, and averages two offloads per match. He makes 19 tackles per match, and this is probably the only area where he lags slightly. His form has been stronger than some players who were selected, so it must be a tough pill for him to swallow.

In my book, Croker finished 2016 as one of the two best centres in the NRL. He probably only missed Kangaroos selection because of injury. His start to 2017 was affected by a further injury, suffered in the All Stars match. And when you look at his numbers for this year, maybe there are some players with stronger claims. But at the very least, he should be a strong contender. The trouble for Croker, however, is that Blues coach Laurie Daley has "The Hulk" in mind when he selects centres. He wants big bodies. And fullbacks, it seems. Because fullbacks are the players making the Blues team at centre. So he doesn't really stand a chance while Daley is coach.

To be honest, I don't think the Raiders fans can complain too much about other Green Machine players being overlooked. This year, they've not done enough to demand selection. And to shift incumbents, you need to be in absolute top notch form - and sometimes not even that gets you a call up.

On the bright side... it means minimal disruption for the Green Machine.

Who will win Origin I? Queensland has been badly affected by injury, with the likes of Thurston and Scott unavailable. They have also selected some ageing players, players who are experienced and who have done it before, but who are not in the best of form in the NRL. The Blues seem very confident they have the team this year to do it... but they do say that every year. I guess we will see sometime after 10pm on Wednesday!

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the current leader boards.

Total points after Round 11:

Jordan Rapana 77
Josh Papalii 75
Nick Cotric 74
Iosia Soliola 72
Blake Austin 71
Joey Leilua 70
Josh Hodgson 70
Junior Paulo 70
Aidan Sezer 67
Jack Wighton 66
Shannon Boyd 65
Elliott Whitehead 64
Jarrod Croker 59
Joseph Tapine 58
Luke Bateman 52
Clay Priest 43
Adam Clydsdale 33
Dunamis Lui 26
Dave Taylor 12
Jeff Lima 9
Zac Santo 6
Scott Sorensen 3

Average points per match after Round 11:

Josh Papalii 7.5
Jordan Rapana 7.0
Junior Paulo 7.0
Nick Cotric 6.7
Jack Wighton 6.6
Jarrod Croker 6.6
Iosia Soliola 6.5
Blake Austin 6.5
Joseph Tapine 6.4
Elliott Whitehead 6.4
Joey Leilua 6.4
Josh Hodgson 6.4
Aidan Sezer 6.1
Dave Taylor 6.0
Zac Santo 6.0
Shannon Boyd 5.9
Clay Priest 5.4
Dunamis Lui 5.2
Luke Bateman 5.2
Jeff Lima 4.5
Adam Clydsdale 3.7
Scott Sorensen 3.0

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"I don't think I need to build a season; I'm just worried about winning a game of footy. I don't see any other football team in the competition that keeps getting compared to last year like we do. I don't see any other footy team in the competition keep copping the criticism over not scoring points or the way they're playing. We're just working on a week in, week out, one-game-at-a-time situation, and that's all you can do. I say it every week, it's a tight comp and it's a tough competition."

"We've got character. It's only what I keep getting told about us not being able to win tight games. I just keep getting told that, but I know that we've got character in the group. You don't win that game tonight if you don't have character, you don't win the game last week if you don't have character and you don't stay in those last three games we got beaten in if you don't have character, the way that we have, the statistics we had."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, asked if the win over the Roosters was the sort of victory to build a season upon and a character builder.

Round 12 2017. It was a 24-16 win over the Roosters. The Raiders looked like they were in control for much of the match. Yet in the final stages, the Roosters had all the momentum and it looked - for a while - like they would produce an unlikely come from behind win. The Sydney team, missing five Origin representatives, had a chance to level the match in the 74th minute, when a Latrell Mitchell try narrowed the Raiders' lead to 18-16. But Michael Gordon missed the conversion attempt from the sideline. And Canberra not only held on, but pounced on a Roosters' error in the final minute.

So the final score looked comfortable, but it was a narrow escape. Ricky Stuart said after the match that he believed that for the majority of the game, the Raiders played well. And they did. However, they were not quite able to convert that dominance over the Roosters into points. And that gave the Roosters the opportunity to stage their comeback. There's no doubt the performances are improving. There's no doubt about the attitude at present. But something is not quite clicking. The match probably should have been won before the final 10 minutes. And, at the risk attracting the ire of the coach, they're not quite back to their best.

Stats that mattered: Some of the errors and choices were frustrating, and happened at crucial times. There were some defensive weaknesses which the Roosters targeted on the right edge. There were some penalties given away which gave the Roosters a platform. However, when you look at the match statistics, one cannot complain too much.

The Raiders made only eight errors, the Roosters double that. Canberra completed 29 of 36 sets, at over 80 per cent - compared to 65 per cent for the visitors. The Raiders did concede more penalties 9-6. But, unusually, the Raiders had well over half the possession - a 54 per cent possession share. Canberra won the running metres (1658-1371) and the kicking metres (499-422). Offloads were even, at nine apiece.

Canberra's defence was superior. They had to make slightly fewer tackles (290-316), but missed just 25 in the match. The Roosters missed more than double the number of tackles, a whopping 53.

That's a picture of complete dominance. So why was the match so close? One stat gives a hint: the Roosters made four line breaks to the Raiders' three. It was just those little crucial moments, which saw the Sydney team take the chances to keep coming back into the game.

Why else was it so close? One thing that attracted the ire of coach Ricky Stuart was a penalty against his team for "split markers". This is what he said after the match:

"Teams have worked out how to play us and you've got to cheat at the ruck. There was one penalty given tonight against us splitting at marker. I can show you another 15 or 20 examples that wouldn't have been penalised tonight.
You've got to be scrappy, you've got to slow us down at the ruck, you've got to cheat at the ruck. The more you cheat at the ruck, the more you stifle our attack. It's as simple as that."

He could just as easily have pointed to the Roosters deliberately standing off side, particularly on the edges. In the first half, I don't think Mitchell Aubusson was on side for a single ruck when the Roosters were defending in the red zone. He was even praised by Phil Gould during the commentary for how quickly he was coming off the line and shut down the play! It's because he was never on side!

So we can add "split halves" to the coaching manual on "how to beat the Raiders". Kick to the sidelines, move off the defensive line "quickly", stand off side on the edges, repeatedly give away penalties in the red zone, and now... "split markers"!

Memorable moments? There was not a better feeling than in the final minute, when the Roosters' winger Daniel Tupou threw a desperate offload, and it was Aidan Sezer who picked it up and ran 25 metres to score and seal the game. It was an "easy" try, but there was not a bigger emotional high in the match.

There were two outstanding tries from Jordan Rapana in the first half, but then there was his defence. What about his tackle on Zane Tetevano in the 58th minute? Tetevano had a player outside him, unmarked. Somehow Rapana managed to engage him, Tetevano made the wrong choice to go for the line himself, and then Rapana bundled him and the ball up - forcing a wild attempted offload and a knock on.

One of the tackles of the year so far came in the 20th minute. Sia Soliola lined up Luke Keary and hit him with all the force of a freight train in the Roosters' own red zone. An absolute belting tackle.

But the most memorable moment came when Aidan Sezer kicked ahead for captain Jarrod Croker, who grounded the ball over the line. He had passed the 1500 points barrier. He is now one of the few players to pass the 1500 points, 100 tries milestone. Terry Lamb and Hazel El Masri are the only players to ever do it before. Just another notch on the belt for Croker.

Best performers?

There were a lot of players who had good games, including some who've been below their best in the past month. Both halves had good games, despite a couple of errors from Blake Austin, and Shannon Boyd was back in the form which saw him make the Kangaroos team last year. Players like Junior Paulo, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead and Sia Soliola also had good matches.

Jordan Rapana. Two tries, 169 metres from 17 runs, two line breaks, 14 tackle breaks.

Shannon Boyd. 140 metres from 15 runs, 34 tackles, one tackle break.

Aidan Sezer. One try, 71 metres from 7 runs, one try assist, two tackle breaks, two off loads.

Metre eaters: Jack Wighton 192 metres from 16 runs, Jordan Rapana 169 metres from 17 runs, Junior Paulo 154 metres from 16 runs.

Top tacklers: Elliott Whitehead (41), Shannon Boyd (34), Josh Hodgson (32).

My player ratings:

Jack Wighton 7
Nick Cotric 6
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 6
Jordan Rapana 8
Blake Austin 7
Aidan Sezer 7
Junior Paulo 7
Josh Hodgson 7
Shannon Boyd 8
Luke Bateman 6
Elliott Whitehead 7
Sia Soliola 7

Joseph Tapine 6
Adam Clydsdale 3
Clay Priest 5
Dunamis Lui 6

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Boyd getting an 8 is too high. 7 I'd say. Yes he was more involved but he had some bad mistakes too.

Still lacking that polish. Two bad defensive errors cost us two tries. That first one with friend was particularly ridiculous. Both markers going the same way and then Boyd running at the guy that played the ball to leave an even bigger gap.

Bar one barely overcooked kick Sezer had an excellent game. The last two weeks have seen us change our structure so that he receives more ball and we look better for it.

Austin is building some form. Why he didn't just try to step Gordon or use Gordan's momentum to push him over the line I'll never know. Guess it's just an indicator of a guy still trying to find his best form.

We could have easily had another 2-3 tries. The roosters scrambled well.

Our bench was better for the second week in a row. It might be a false dawn as the Eels and a depleted Roosters pack aren't the best measuring sticks.

Priest had another very lazy defensive cover error (seems to have at least one a game). This consistent issue and the uptick of Lui and Bateman has him dropping out of my top 17 side when Dave Taylor comes back in.
Last edited by zim on May 29, 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It was a dominant performance everywhere but the scoreboard and looking at the stats makes it clear that the raiders earned field position while the only way the chooks got it was on the back of penalties.

Our attack is still in first gear and we need it to click. We ran some great set plays for tries last weekend but didn't seem to run them this week. We look better when our spine combines so we need to get a bit more organized.

Good to see our pack dominant, now we need our halves to create on the back of it.
bbbelch
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by bbbelch »

Tapine had a big impact in defense - better than a 6.
Croker hurt his origin chance by being caught out twice in the second half, the second leading to the roosters try.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes 2017

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Half time report

So we're back on the road for Round 13... this time to the northern beaches of Sydney for a meeting with the Sea Eagles.

The last time we went to Brookvale was in Round 25, when the Raiders were on their record 10 game winning streak. It was a 44-30 victory and there was plenty of amazing attacking football - but the defence left something to be desired. The Raiders skipped away a couple of times, but then let the Sea Eagles take back the momentum and get back into the contest.

I suspect that game encapsulates the all the things that Ricky Stuart wants to improve upon in season 2017. It was the complete opposite of "the grind".

It is only weeks ago that the Raiders lost to the Sea Eagles in golden point at Canberra Stadium. It was the start of a poor patch of form and there were things in that match as well that Ricky Stuart won't want to see repeated.

I've written before about the fine balance between arrogance and complacency, insufficient respect for the opposition. And I don't want to repeat all that. But I do think that the attitude was not quite right then, and in subsequent matches.

There was not enough respect for the opposition in that Manly match, and that was revealed in how some niggling running battles broke out. The ensuing response to the loss also seemed too complacent.

If there was any complacency, it has well and truly evaporated now. There was no doubt about work ethic in the past couple of matches.

But it'll be very important that the Raiders avoid being sucked into the niggle on Sunday. They'll need to keep their mind on the job at hand.

Given the number of players who have said just that publicly, it's pretty clear that has been hammered home by coach Stuart this week.

There's also still room for improvement in how the team is performing. The Raiders dominated the Roosters last weekend in virtually every area of the game, except the scoreboard. The attack was not quite clicking.

It is true that other teams now have a playbook on how to beat the Raiders. And some of it includes illegal tactics, like standing off side on the edges and at marker. Let's face it, a lot of it is plain, old cheating. The Sea Eagles used the playbook in Round 8.

It is up to the officiating to stamp out the illegal tactics. But it was reassuring to hear Jarrod Croker say yesterday that the team is working on some things to counteract them.

We saw one of them last weekend, when Aidan Sezer kicked in behind Mitchell Aubusson for a Jarrod Croker try. Aubusson had spent the whole match in defence standing two steps in front of the referee and it cost him dearly on that occasion. The mousetrap against the Eels was another.

It'll be interesting to see on Sunday what else the coaches have planned.

It'll be tough to win at Brookvale, but as outlined in the game day preview, I'm tipping the Raiders will be determined to turn the tables this time around.

Thirty years ago, the Canberra Raiders made their first Grand Final. It was the last Grand Final played at the Sydney Cricket Ground. It was a fairy tale run for the Green Machine to qualify, but they could not stop the Sea Eagles on the day.

No doubt, Manly will be wanting to recall the victory this weekend. But we should celebrate it too. A Grand Final appearance is a rare thing - and the 1987 Grand Final was the start of a golden period for the Raiders.

Let's hope we see another Grand Final appearance in 2017 - and this time, a win!

The Raiders are now one of the teams that has played 12 matches. It's no doubt a shock to most of us, but we are already halfway through the regular season.

Coach Ricky Stuart says he's tired of comparisons to 2016, but they're difficult to avoid. At this stage of the season in 2016, the Raiders were in sixth place on the ladder - on 13 competition points with six wins and a draw. In 2017, they're in eighth - on 12 competition points with six wins. So season 2017 is not too different to 2016. However, given the finish to 2016, most were expecting improvement.

There's two things to recall that the coach has said. First, the strategy is to build to a peak at the back end of the season. Many, many players were rested from the pre-season. So it was a deliberate plan to start the season slowly. Secondly, and fans will recall this one more easily: other teams are ready for the Raiders in 2017. The way he's expressed it is to say that we shouldn't expect the Raiders to blow the opposition away like last year.

As I've mentioned already, that's partly because the opposition coaches have a playbook of tactics, legal and illegal, to nullify Canberra's attack. But it's also because it's the Raiders' deliberate plan.

The coach has the team playing more grinding football, in preparation for the crucial end of season matches. And it's been a struggle getting "the grind" exactly right. There have been two golden point losses and a one point loss. The losses to the Cowboys and Broncos were courageous, close losses.

However, there have also been some very poor losses to teams like the Bulldogs and Knights. There have been at least a few matches that the Raiders should have won. And that's the difference between being in eighth and being well ensconced in the top four.

There's one final thing to mention. The squad has lost a fair bit of depth and there's not the same competition for places in first grade. Paul Vaughan, Edrick Lee, Shaun Fensom, Brenko Lee - and now Zac Santo and Jordan Turner - were lost or released. In fact, almost all of them were released. And when injury or suspension strikes, filling the holes is not so easy. It was felt in the backs when Jarrod Croker was injured. Every time a forward is absent, the bench forward rotation struggles.

Attack: The Raiders have produced a lot of points. They're currently in first place for points scored (276) and tries scored (48). But the attack is not quite firing on all cylinders. Averages are what count at this stage of the season, with teams having had an unequal number of byes. On that account, Canberra is rated fourth in attack: scoring an average of 23 points and four tries per match.

The Raiders don't make a lot of running metres (11th, 1392 metres per match), though they do make good metres per run (9.4). Nor do they make a lot of kicking metres (14th, 412 metres per match). The running metres probably reflect the possession and completions (equal seventh at 75 per cent). Canberra is second for tackle breaks (33 per match), equal second for try assists (3.7 per match), sixth for line breaks (4.7 per match) and 11th for offloads (9.6 per match).

Clearly, opposition tactics and defences are slowing down the Raiders' attack. Some are legal, like kicking for line repeatedly, to keep the ball out of the hands of the likes of Rapana and Leilua. Some are not so legal, like infringing in the ruck and standing off side on the edges. As mentioned, it's good the Raiders are working on ways to counter-act these tactics.

Rating: A-

Defence: Canberra has conceded just 19 points and 3.3 tries per match - eighth best in the league. The Sharks concede under 13 points and two tries per match. The defence will need to improve if they're to be a contender at the end of the year. Teams that win premierships generally don't concede more than 16 points per match on average. They have contained the opposition to 16 or less five times this season, though two of those matches were losses.

There are a couple of things to remember though. While the Raiders don't make a lot of metres, they don't concede a lot either (eighth lowest in the league, 1378 metres per match). In addition, they don't concede many line breaks (fourth lowest in the competition, 3.3 per match). There's potential to improve and they know what to do.

Rating: B-

Spine: The Raiders spine is still a work in progress. The combination between the hooker and halves has not quite worked. At times it feels like all three, Hodgson, Austin and Sezer, are aiming to be the dominant playmaker. None have really been in the best form that they've shown in the green jersey. The good news is that they're working on it - and against the Roosters, they looked much better as a unit. I think the solution is to ensure that Hodgson and Sezer are the dominant playmakers, and that Austin does what he does best: run. One positive sign is that Austin now has 11 try assists to his name.

Jack Wighton, however, has been the pick of the four spine players. He's made 145 metres from 14 runs per match, scored four tries, made seven line breaks and produced eight try assists. When Wighton starts to sweep, something good is about to happen.

Best performers: Jack Wighton
Spine rating: C

Forwards: The Raiders have a big name forward pack, but some have been out of form and the depth is not quite there. Shannon Boyd has been nowhere near the level he achieved late last year, prior to being selected in the Kangaroos for the Four Nations. The bench forwards have often been dominated when they come on field. Perhaps if Dave Taylor can overcome his injury problems, and get some match fitness, he'll help add some size and starch to the bench.

Junior Paulo and Josh Papalii have been standouts. Papalii is averaging 143 metres from 15 runs and 24 tackles per match. He's made six line breaks, 30 tackle breaks, 20 offloads and has three try assists. He has missed just nine tackles and has a 92 per cent tackle efficiency rate. He's the best edge forward in the NRL for mine. Junior Paulo is averaging 137 metres from 15 runs and 19 tackles per match. He's also made 17 tackle breaks and 19 offloads. He's been unlucky to miss representative football.

Best performer: Josh Papalii
Forwards rating: C

Backs: The Raiders have some of the most lethal attacking weapons in the NRL in their backline, but they have been kept quiet in some matches by opposition defences and tactics like kicking for the line.

Jordan Rapana is still the best winger in the NRL. He's the top try scorer in the NRL, with 11. He is the biggest metre eater in Canberra's backline, making 146 metres from 15 runs per match. He's made 85 tackle breaks, 14 line breaks and 13 offloads. But let's not forget rookie winger Nick Cotric. He's averaged 100 metres from 10 runs per match. He's scored six tries and made 60 tackle breaks, nine breaks and nine line breaks. If he's not NRL Rookie of the Year, I'll be very surprised. On the other hand, Joey Leilua still has some work to do to get back to his 2016 form.

Best performer: Jordan Rapana
Backs rating: B

Overall, it's a B- rating from me. The team is not yet really at its best. The draw in the second half of this season is challenging. Seven of the remaining 12 matches are against teams that are currently in the top eight. They still have to play the No. 1 team, the Storm, twice, as well as the Sharks and Broncos. It will be a tougher run home than 2016. The positive is, we know they can improve. A top eight, a top four, finish is within their grasp and capability.

Good luck to our Monaro representative team this Saturday when they meet Newcastle in the Grand Final of the Country Championships.

This year, the format of the Country Championships has changed, with selection restricted to those aged Under 23 - so as to help develop players who are still on a pathway to higher tiers of football.

The Monaro team primarily comprises players from the Canberra Raiders Cup - including a number who've been part of the Canberra Raiders junior development teams. You can watch a live stream from 12:15pm right here:

[youtube]LRxhAFz7W4I[/youtube]

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the current leader boards. This week, Josh Papalii was unable to play due to representative selection, so his rating for State of Origin I - a seven - is included in the points.

Total points after Round 12:

Jordan Rapana 85
Josh Papalii 82
Nick Cotric 80
Iosia Soliola 79
Blake Austin 78
Josh Hodgson 77
Junior Paulo 77
Joey Leilua 76
Aidan Sezer 74
Jack Wighton 73
Shannon Boyd 73
Elliott Whitehead 71
Jarrod Croker 66
Joseph Tapine 64
Luke Bateman 58
Clay Priest 48
Adam Clydsdale 36
Dunamis Lui 32
Dave Taylor 12
Jeff Lima 9
Zac Santo 6
Scott Sorensen 3

Average points per match after Round 12:

Josh Papalii 7.5
Jordan Rapana 7.1
Junior Paulo 7.0
Nick Cotric 6.7
Jack Wighton 6.6
Jarrod Croker 6.6
Iosia Soliola 6.6
Blake Austin 6.5
Elliott Whitehead 6.5
Josh Hodgson 6.4
Joseph Tapine 6.4
Joey Leilua 6.3
Aidan Sezer 6.2
Shannon Boyd 6.1
Dave Taylor 6.0
Zac Santo 6.0
Clay Priest 5.3
Dunamis Lui 5.3
Luke Bateman 5.3
Jeff Lima 4.5
Adam Clydsdale 3.6
Scott Sorensen 3.0

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I need more scorelines like 44-30 if I'm going to have a chance at this pick the points thing. Throw the ball around boys
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

You forgot that Sam Williams also left last year. That has impacted our depth in the halves.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Also that Austin/Sezer played about 1.5 games together in the first 8 rounds last year, so we were much kinder with the teams development at that stage, reasoning (rightly) that any team missing 1 or both halves for a stretch who can eke out an even winning record is doing ok and just wait until get all hands on deck.

This year our spine had the off-season and basically an uninterrupted first stretch and have not looked the goods. That's a big difference to comparisons to this stage last year.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote:While the Raiders don't make a lot of metres, they don't concede a lot either (eighth lowest in the league, 1378 metres per match).
This surprises me. The opposition regularly seem to make 70+ metres per set with ease against us.
greeneyed wrote:One positive sign is that Austin now has 11 try assists to his name.
This also surprises me. I haven't noticed Austin setting up many tries at all. I would have thought it would mostly be Sezer, Wighton, BJ, and Hodgson setting them up.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good write up GE. On the issue of 'the Grind'. To do it successfully players have to be committed to it and above all disciplined in how they play. We have a couple of players who struggle with discipline. The youngest of them though, Tapine, seems to be learning. He is giving away the rubbish and focusing on playing good football which is a credit to himself and the coaching staff.
BJ however .... takes more baits then the fish on extreme fishing. It seems so easy to unsettle him to forget footy and go for some boofhead 'get square'.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote:
greeneyed wrote:While the Raiders don't make a lot of metres, they don't concede a lot either (eighth lowest in the league, 1378 metres per match).
This surprises me. The opposition regularly seem to make 70+ metres per set with ease against us.
greeneyed wrote:One positive sign is that Austin now has 11 try assists to his name.
This also surprises me. I haven't noticed Austin setting up many tries at all. I would have thought it would mostly be Sezer, Wighton, BJ, and Hodgson setting them up.
For the report, I've used the Fox Sports Lab statistics. The stats on NRL.com have him with five. Try assists are a little subjective... but clearly the criteria on NRL.com are fairly strict. Or Fox Sports Lab are wrong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"At half time it was a big job to get them going because they were disappointed in themselves. We had a choice to make, and we took the tough choice. I knew they would because they're a very, very courageous bunch and it's why I often say that I love coaching them. They're a courageous bunch of blokes but unfortunately we put ourselves in a very, very difficult position with that first-half performance and we paid for it in the end. We're nowhere near where we'll get to. We're nowhere near where we want to be, but for a committed bunch of footy players – for a courageous team – we showed a lot of mental strength."

Round 13 2017. 21-20. Another golden point loss. That is three this season. It was a second golden point loss to the Sea Eagles in a matter of weeks. The Raiders have also lost by a point in the final moments to the Broncos. That's eight competition points. It leaves the Raiders in ninth on the ladder, halfway through the competition, six competition points adrift of the top four. It was courageous to come back in the second half. But the team is not playing to its potential or capability. And the Raiders do have trouble winning close games.

Stats that mattered: There was some very poor play to give the Sea Eagles a 20-6 lead at half time. Some poor defensive reads - like the one from Jarrod Croker that led to the first Manly try to Dylan Walker. Some critical errors - like the dropped ball from Joe Tapine which led to the Daly Cherry Evans try just before half time. But the Sea Eagles played well, as well. Manly forced a number of line drop outs on the Raiders - they ended up with a total of six in the match. Add in an 80 per cent completion rate (less than 70 per cent for the Raiders), an advantage in the penalties and a 60-40 per cent possession share in that first half - it's no wonder the Sea Eagles put on 20 points.

Overall, the Raiders completed at just 62 per cent, the Sea Eagles at 85 per cent. The Sea Eagles completed 33 sets (the Raiders 21) and had 52 per cent of the ball. Manly won the running metres (1623-1590) and produced almost double the kicking metres (614-328). The Raiders made 15 errors, compared to eight for the Sea Eagles. You can't win football games with a statistics like that. In fact, it's remarkable that the match was so close. The reason it was so close was the moments of individual brilliance from the likes of Jordan Rapana. But you can't depend on moments of individual brilliance to dig you out of a hole, over and over.

We cannot forget, however, that the Raiders played for a large part of the match with just 15 men. Both Dunamis Lui (ACL) and Shannon Boyd (medial) were ruled out early in the first half. Both played for just seven minutes. Junior Paulo played for a massive 72 minutes - and you have to feel for him, given his loose carry in golden point gave Cherry Evans his chance to shoot the winning field goal. They certainly showed character under adversity.

Manly let the Raiders back into the contest in a couple of ways. They ended up losing the penalties (6-4) and missed 48 tackles (the Raiders 27). In fact, there could have been more penalties conceded by Manly, with the whistle firmly kept in the pockets at times. It's understandable that some fans are frustrated with the officiating. But the only thing I'll say about it is this: there's no point in the Raiders complaining about the officiating in public. I hope it never happens again. No point in them complaining in private either. With the current refereeing regime, it only produces a reaction that is counter-productive. By all means, brief sympathetic journalists behind the scenes. But that's it.

Memorable moments? There are a couple of moments that stick in the mind. The first was the amazing try from Jordan Rapana in the 70th minute. He ran from dummy half, 80 metres from the try line, just danced around the defence and streaked away. He set up a try and scored another in an outstanding performance. It's remarkable how often the Raiders winger - the winger! - is the best player on the park for the Green Machine. Indeed, Daly Cherry Evans suggested he was the best player on the park, full stop.

The second moment was the penalty kick from the captain to level it up in the final minute of regulation time. It was taken in a difficult position on the field, over 30 metres away from the goal line, and out wide. It was reminiscent of the place on the field from where he missed a crucial goal in the 2010 finals match against the Wests Tigers. It was cool, calm and collected from Croker and he simply nailed it.

Best performers?

Jordan Rapana. Two tries, 243 metres from 21 runs, three line breaks, seven tackle breaks, one try assist, three offloads.

Junior Paulo. 161 metres from 20 runs, two tackle breaks, three offloads, 22 tackles.

Sia Soliola. 91 metres from 10 runs, one tackle break, two offloads, 40 tackles.

Metre eaters: Jordan Rapana 243 metres from 21 runs, Junior Paulo 161 metres from 20 runs, 157 metres from 17 runs.

Top tacklers: Elliott Whitehead (43), Sia Soliola (40), Josh Hodgson (33).

My player ratings:

Jack Wighton 6
Nick Cotric 6
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 7
Jordan Rapana 8
Blake Austin 6
Aidan Sezer 6
Junior Paulo 8
Josh Hodgson 7
Shannon Boyd 2
Josh Papalii 6
Elliott Whitehead 6
Sia Soliola 7

Adam Clydsdale 4
Joseph Tapine 6
Clay Priest 6
Dunamis Lui 2

radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Sezer 4 and Austin 5. Really let the team down. No direction or game management.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Country road

The Raiders are again on the road in Round 14... and this week we go to Carrington Park, Bathurst for a meeting with the Penrith Panthers.

The last time Canberra played Penrith at this venue, the Panthers produced a Peter Wallace field goal in the final couple of minutes, delivering a 19-18 win.

The Panthers formed a wall, with the Raiders' defence obstructed, and the NRL later admitted Luke Patten in the bunker got the call wrong. It should have been a penalty to the Raiders.

That was a match the Raiders probably should have won. Unfortunately, we've again seen a few of those in season 2017 as well.

Plus some extremely close losses. There's been three golden point losses - two to the Sea Eagles - and a one point loss this year. Unfortunately, the Raiders have won just six matches from the past 23, where there has been a converted try, or less, in it.

Coach Ricky Stuart said that the team showed courage last weekend, to come back against Manly, while playing with just 15 men. That they showed mental toughness. They certainly did. But the team is playing inconsistently, they are not playing to their capability.

How do the Raiders turn it around this week? It starts with the basics.

First and foremost, they need to hold the ball! The handling errors were very costly against the Sea Eagles - and they simply cannot hand the ball over repeatedly to the Panthers, or it is game over.

Secondly, the Raiders spine needs to play as a more cohesive unit. The fundamental reason that the Raiders seem to have difficulty in closing out tight games is that it doesn't seem to be clear who is running the show. There's too many cooks and not enough level heads.

Third, the forwards need to lay the platform. The pack has certainly improved their performance in recent weeks - and there were some remarkable efforts at Brookvale, with two forwards ruled out early in the match. And it isn't going to be easy this week... with Boyd and Lui both ruled out with injury. But in too many games this year, the team seems to have looked to some individual brilliance to get them out of a hole. That almost worked against the Sea Eagles...

Finally, the Raiders cannot afford the sort of defensive lapses we saw at Brookvale. The Panthers are more than capable of taking advantage of any weakness in the line. And you know what? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The referees clearly won't penalise teams using the tactics in the "how to beat the Raiders" playbook - designed to nullify the attack. So at the very least, the Raiders should do their best to slow the ruck and "get off the line quickly" - legally, of course!

The Panthers have started to show some good form and they'll be very tough to beat. I've tipped a Panthers win in our game day preview, but I hope I'm proven wrong. Very wrong.

I quite like a trip to the country, and I've never been to Bathurst before this weekend. And I'm sure I'll enjoy exploring the district as well as going to the footy.

The concerning news to emerge earlier this week is that less than 3,000 tickets have been sold for the Carrington Park clash. The crowd last year was around only 6,000 people - and it looks like it'll be a bit of a struggle to break that mark on Saturday. The grandstand has now sold out, as well as the "gold" hospitality marquees. But we're kidding ourselves as a code if we think a crowd of 6,000 is acceptable for an NRL contest.

Phil Rothfield recently wrote an article pointing to some poor crowds in Sydney, arguing that many more NRL matches should be taken to country towns. I'm all for promoting grass roots rugby league. And it's sensible to give rugby league in regional areas a fillip by staging trial matches in country towns. But a strategy of taking NRL games to smaller venues, with much poorer facilities - for corporates and the public - doesn't seem sensible to me. It just generates even lower crowds.

I understand that the Panthers own the leagues club in Bathurst, and they receive a sizeable incentive from the local council to play a match in the town every year. That deal has just been extended to a decade. It's not clear what the incentive is precisely; press reports suggest it could be of the order of $250,000 per annum.

But you don't grow crowds by taking games to smaller, more uncomfortable, venues - as the Sea Eagles found out when they took the Raiders to Albury recently. You grow crowds by giving people a better game day experience, in decent stadiums.

It's also frustrating that the lower grade matches this week are not being played before the NRL game at Bathurst. The Raiders' Holden Cup and Mounties teams play the Panthers... at Penrith Stadium! It's being made more and more difficult to see the lower grades in action. I can only see that getting worse in 2018.

How good was it seeing our Monaro representative team topple the might of Newcastle last weekend in the Country Championship Grand Final? It was a great performance to beat powerhouses Illawarra and Newcastle in the space of two weeks. So much so, that 10 of the 20 players selected for the Country representative team to play Samoa and Scotland in October are from the Canberra Raiders Cup. Well done!

Total points after Round 13:

Jordan Rapana 93
Josh Papalii 88
Iosia Soliola 86
Nick Cotric 86
Junior Paulo 85
Blake Austin 84
Josh Hodgson 84
Joey Leilua 83
Aidan Sezer 80
Jack Wighton 79
Elliott Whitehead 77
Shannon Boyd 75
Jarrod Croker 73
Joseph Tapine 70
Luke Bateman 58
Clay Priest 54
Adam Clydsdale 40
Dunamis Lui 34
Dave Taylor 12
Jeff Lima 9
Zac Santo 6
Scott Sorensen 3

Average points per match after Round 13:

Josh Papalii 7.3
Jordan Rapana 7.2
Junior Paulo 7.1
Jarrod Croker 6.6
Iosia Soliola 6.6
Nick Cotric 6.6
Jack Wighton 6.6
Blake Austin 6.5
Josh Hodgson 6.5
Elliott Whitehead 6.4
Joey Leilua 6.4
Joseph Tapine 6.4
Aidan Sezer 6.2
Dave Taylor 6.0
Zac Santo 6.0
Shannon Boyd 5.8
Clay Priest 5.4
Luke Bateman 5.3
Dunamis Lui 4.9
Jeff Lima 4.5
Adam Clydsdale 3.6
Scott Sorensen 3.0

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Round 14 2017. A 24-20 last gasp loss. It was, sadly, one of the worst in Raiders history. Canberra led by eight points with around two minutes remaining. A try was almost scored by Nick Cotric after a kick to the corner. The Penrith Panthers then proceeded to score two four pointers, with Matt Moylan calling the shots. It was gut wrenching, heart breaking. We saw it, but it was hard to believe it happened, inconceivable.

It's starting to feel an awful lot like 2015. The Raiders have now suffered three golden point losses and two losses in the final couple of minutes this season. That's 10 competition points the Raiders could have had. The Raiders have fallen to 10th on the ladder. They are six competition points away from the top four and, at this rate, they won't be making the finals. They can, they have the talent and capability. But something is going to have to change - particularly the mentatlity and the leadership, the game management, in tight situations. The Raiders simply had to defend one set of six to win by two points in Bathurst, but were not able.

Stats that mattered: The Raiders dominated in virtually every statistic but the final scoreline. They had 53 per cent possession. They completed at 81 per cent, the Panthers at 68 per cent. The Pathers conceded 10 penalties, the Raiders seven. The Panthers made 15 errors, the Panthers seven. The Panthers missed 54 tackles (the Raiders 37). It's surprising to me that the Raiders even threw more offloads (18-7) as it felt like the Panthers threw a truck-load. Line breaks were even, tries were even. The only area where the Panthers outpointed the Raiders was in running metres gained (1783-1680m).

Both teams made a heap of errors in the first half, and both teams had completion rates in the 60s. It seemed like the Panthers were on top for most of the first half, so it was remarkable that the Raiders went to the break trailing by only two points. But it was a different story for much of the next 40 minutes.

The fact that the Raiders ended up with a completion rate of more than 80 per cent is one indicator of how dominant the Raiders were for most of the second half... all but the first minute and the final two minutes. The Raiders scored three tries and had two try scoring opportunities in the second half, when the ball was just quite not grounded - by Kurt Baptiste and Cotric. It was just some crucial errors in handling and defence that cost the Green Machine. Some unnecessary offloads. There was no shortage of effort. And that is what makes it all the more disappointing.

Kurt Baptiste made a huge difference when he was on the field. He's credited with zero runs and zero metres and 16 tackles in 37 minutes. But he delivered good, crisp service. It allowed Josh Hodgson to get into first or second receiver and it transformed the team. The halves are not playing to the level we know they can - and Blake Austin continued to make some poor defensive choices. That probably leaves coach Ricky Stuart with some difficult choices after the upcoming bye weekend.

The interchange in the final stages was a bit puzzling too, though it was probably thrown out by a head knock for Papalii. Royce Hunt was not introduced until the 70th minute, and then only played six minutes. And I wonder whether Junior Paulo is playing a little long - he was completely gassed by the end. Perhaps Baptiste was spent, as well in his first NRL game for the season, but I would have liked to see him back out there earlier. Let's hope the bye gives everyone a chance to recharge the batteries.

Memorable moments? Jordan Rapana's first try was outstanding, an amazing tip on pass from Jack Wighton to the winger - who found himself with a huge overlap. Rapana one memorable run, fending the oppostion easily, to get Canberra out of trouble. Then how about that hit by Joey Leilua on Matt Moylan? It was an absolute classic! But the best moment for the Raiders came in the 57th minute, when Aidan Sezer kicked ahead - with Elliott Whitehead chasing and regathering and offloading in brilliant fashion - with Joey Leilua the recipient of the pass and four points.

Best performers?

Jordan Rapana. One try, 179 metres from 16 runs, two line breaks, 10 tackle breaks, three offloads.

Josh Papalii. 193 metres from 22 runs, four tackle breaks, two offloads.

Kurt Baptiste.

Metre eaters: Josh Papalii 193 metres from 22 runs, Jordan Rapana 179 metres from 16 runs, Junior Paulo 167 metres from 18 runs.

Top tacklers: Elliott Whitehead (42), Josh Hodgson (38), Luke Bateman (31).

My player ratings:

Jack Wighton 7
Nick Cotric 7
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 7
Jordan Rapana 8
Blake Austin 5
Aidan Sezer 5
Junior Paulo 6
Josh Hodgson 7
Sia Soliola 6
Josh Papalii 7
Elliott Whitehead 7
Luke Bateman 6

Royce Hunt 2
Clay Priest 6
Joseph Tapine 5
Kurt Baptiste 7