2016 in Review - Shaun Fensom

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The twelfth instalment of '2016 in Review' is Shaun Fensom. So far we have looked at Joseph Leilua, Kurt Baptiste, Jack Wighton, Clay Priest, Edrick Lee, Luke Bateman, Blake Austin, Josh Papalii, Aidan Sezer, Sia Soliola, and Josh Hodgson. Over the off-season, we will be reviewing all 26 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2016 and the coach.

Shaun Fensom

For what feels like a decade (it is only seven years), Shaun Fensom has been the rock of Gibraltar in the Raiders' pack. However, with Elliott Whitehead joining the Raiders in 2016, and speculation about Sia Soliola moving to a middle role, Fensom’s role came into question. The two sides of the argument were: 1) a lower interchange works in Fensom’s favour with his high work rate and big minutes and; 2) a lower interchange means you need bigger impact against tiring players. Which would prove true?

Well, Fensom got the nod in Round 1, and he turned up big time: a herculean effort in 34 degree heat with 13 carries for 132m, three tackle busts, 39 tackles, and a line break. He made the crucial tackle that dislodged the ball from Hiku with two minutes left. Then he made a telling charge after picking up the ball and scored the try that sealed the win. What a statement straight out of the gate. Unfortunately for him, he was knocked out on tackle three in Round 2. Then in Round 3 he made 100m and 59 tackles with no penalties.

You can take Fensom’s tackle numbers to the bank, he has always been a tackle machine. As usual, he averaged over 40 going into the Origin period. You can also expect him to give away a penalty or two. This also proved true for Fensom in 2016, as he averaged 1 a game. However, in 2016 he picked them up in bundles, meaning he also had plenty of zero’s too. You can normally expect Fensom to be playing near enough to 80 minutes a week too. However, in 2016 coach Ricky Stuart had him averaging closer to 65 minutes. The Origin period proved the big change in Stuart’s thinking, reducing Fensom’s minutes to 40 per match. And then the Warriors game was to be Fensom’s last in 2016.

It took about half the season, but Stuart decided that work rate was important in the heat, but ultimately, impact wins football games. So, where does that place Fensom? His strength is work rate and big minutes, much like an Aiden Tolman or Simon Mannering. I really hope he gets to play more NRL footy, and hopefully in green, because he bleeds for the club. But at this stage he has more talented, younger players keeping him out of the 17. With Soliola, Papalii and Whitehead holding down the back row spots, and Vaughan and Kennedy moving on, Fensom will likely become an experienced backup forward in 2017.

Shaun Fensom‘s 2016: 6.0/10

2016 RLW Score: 5.9/10

2016 Stats: (Stats from live.nrlstats.com)
Games: 14
Efforts/ Game: 47.14
Average Minutes: 51.29
Efforts/ Minute: 0.92
Tries: 1
Try Assists: 0
Total Kicks: 0
Kick Metres: 0
40/20’s: 0
Total Runs: 135
All Run Metres: 1133
Average Metres per Carry: 8.39m
Average Metres per Game: 80.93m
Tackle Breaks: 7
Offloads: 0
Line Breaks: 1
Line Break Assists: 0
Tackles: 517
Average Tackles per Game: 36.93
1 on 1 Tackles: 13
Missed Tackles: 15
Average Missed Tackles per Game: 1.93
Tackles Made to Missed Tackles ratio: 19.15
Errors: 4
Penalties Conceded: 14
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2016 in Review - Shaun Fensom

Post by simo »

Good write up but i cant agree with the 6. Is there really only 2 points between the most destructive player in the game and a forward who was dropped halfway through a season?
Dont delete this GE
Ferret86
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Was Fensom, now Bateman in the new era

Post by Ferret86 »

It's a sad time for a long time Fensom fan... It took me a long time to get used to the fact that he didn't fit in our top 17. I really hope he hangs around the club though. I couldn't imagine him playing for another NRL club.
Founder of http://www.nrlceo.com and run the fantasy rugby league game on http://www.thebench.com.au
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote:Good write up but i cant agree with the 6. Is there really only 2 points between the most destructive player in the game and a forward who was dropped halfway through a season?
People have their ratings systems right out of whack
They can't give anyone more than 7 or 8 because anything above that is reserved for immortals for some reason
And they aren't game to go below 5 because that's reserved for park footballers

So for people like Matt and GE, you've basically got anyone who can catch a football and isn't Authur Beetson being either a 6 or 7

I don't get it.
Much as I love Shaun Fensom as a bloke and I appreciate what he's done for the club over the years, if Sia is a 7 and Papalii an 8, fensom can't possibly be higher than a 3 or 4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I had him at an average of 5.9/10. But given he only played 15 games and was playing some limited minutes in those games, that score has to be adjusted down. 4.5/10 for mine.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:
simo wrote:Good write up but i cant agree with the 6. Is there really only 2 points between the most destructive player in the game and a forward who was dropped halfway through a season?
People have their ratings systems right out of whack
They can't give anyone more than 7 or 8 because anything above that is reserved for immortals for some reason
And they aren't game to go below 5 because that's reserved for park footballers

So for people like Matt and GE, you've basically got anyone who can catch a football and isn't Authur Beetson being either a 6 or 7

I don't get it.
Much as I love Shaun Fensom as a bloke and I appreciate what he's done for the club over the years, if Sia is a 7 and Papalii an 8, fensom can't possibly be higher than a 3 or 4
Totally agree, been saying it all review season. Excellent write-ups, but the scoring system is in the ****.

I think you'll find Sia got 6, same as Fensom (pretty sure I blew up about that?). Just diabolical.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To be fair on Matt, though... that's why he's asking for your own ratings. If disagree with his rating... put yours up.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

3/10
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote:To be fair on Matt, though... that's why he's asking for your own ratings. If disagree with his rating... put yours up.
no one was being unfair to matt. Also i didnt see him ask for our ratings?
Dont delete this GE
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

The stats are deceiving too.

8 runs a carry seems OK, but it doesnt highlight the speed or effectiveness or a hit up.

Nothing above a 5 for me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote:To be fair on Matt, though... that's why he's asking for your own ratings. If disagree with his rating... put yours up.
no one was being unfair to matt. Also i didnt see him ask for our ratings?
Well The GH does on Twitter and Facebook, on every review. :)
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

DJ89 wrote:The stats are deceiving too.

8 runs a carry seems OK, but it doesnt highlight the speed or effectiveness or a hit up.

Nothing above a 5 for me.
deceptive on tackles too as for the most part, they arent impact tackles. He had one game where i thought "where has this been?" But then he went back to the just hold on tackles. Would love to see a stat on how often he fails to get to marker after a tackle.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote:
I think you'll find Sia got 6, same as Fensom (pretty sure I blew up about that?). Just diabolical.
Look it off season content and they are trying to drive some debate but if that's accurate then I'm not sure why I'd bother reading these

Civilisations from other galaxy's will one day come to earth and find a dark, barren wasteland and when they study it, they'll be able to pin point the beginning of the human races decline to this very moment in time when Shaun Fensom was rated equally as good as Sia for 2016
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This has a heavy whiff of Pigman is right and you know it coming up
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fensom did exactly what Fensom always does.
He wasn't bad, he wasn't great, he was solid.

Now, while Soliola took his spot in the starting side, I think Bateman took over his spot/ role in the 17 (and before you ask, yes I realise these 2 played alongside each other for half the yr). I gave Bateman a 6 too. So here is a statistical comparison:
F vs B
14 vs 21 games
51 vs 42 avg mins
1 vs 0 tries
135 carries for 1133m @ 8.39m vs 199 carries for 1735 @ 8.72m
7 vs 10 tackle busts
4 vs 5 errors
14 vs 13 penalties
517 vs 532 tackles
15 vs 17 missed tackles

They are very similar. I know you guys will go on and on about stats aren't everything, and sure, they aren't.

The 'undefinables' for Fensom vs Bateman are:
Youthful energy - Fensom has 7yrs of toil under his belt.
Impact - Bateman has discovered a fearlessness since graduating from u20s, which Fensom never did. <<< This is probably the thing everyone will point to, esp. Piggy, as the difference.

I have some sympathy/ bias for old Fenno, and was sceptical of the change at the start of the yr, but Stuart 100% made the right call. I still don't think he ever played a bad game for us, made some stupid mistakes, sure, but always put in 100%.

The Q becomes, was his performance level any better or worse than someone like a Bateman? I don't think it was, however, Bateman was able to give what Stuart wanted, and Fensom couldn't. Some of this also comes down to Fenno's contract value too - something Stuart has done the past 2 seasons. Stuart said publically a couple of times how hard is was to not pick Fenno. Yeah, maybe that is 'for the fans', but I doubt it, coz Ricky doesn't deal in BS. Therefore, it wasn't performance or effort that lost his place in the 17, it was more likely skill level/ skill set Stuart wanted in his 17.

That's my view. If you have a different one, please state it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Look it off season content and they are trying to drive some debate but if that's accurate then I'm not sure why I'd bother reading these

Civilisations from other galaxy's will one day come to earth and find a dark, barren wasteland and when they study it, they'll be able to pin point the beginning of the human races decline to this very moment in time when Shaun Fensom was rated equally as good as Sia for 2016
Sia got 6.5 actually
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

So the ratings are done as fensoms/10fensoms
Batemans/10batemans
And the ratings arent comparable with eachother?
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

simo wrote:So the ratings are done as fensoms/10fensoms
Batemans/10batemans
And the ratings arent comparable with eachother?
HUH?!? Are you suggesting I'm rating Fensom against Fensom only? Or rather 10 Fensom's?

Pretty sure I just said I compared Bateman to Fensom. Therefore, Fensom's rating and Bateman's are done via the same system.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Thats exactly what im suggesting. Because in no workd does fensom get a 6 when scaling him against the nrl unless all youre looking at is his tackle numbers
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The other dimension I put on it in a season rating is the raw total points from each match. These are mine from TGE:

Jordan Rapana 195
Josh Papalii 192
Josh Hodgson 191
Jarrod Croker 188
Joey Leilua 176
Elliott Whitehead 175
Jack Wighton 174
Aidan Sezer 159
Shannon Boyd 159
Joseph Tapine 150
Paul Vaughan 134
Luke Bateman 128
Blake Austin 127
Kurt Baptiste 125
Iosia Soliola 124
Edrick Lee 119
Junior Paulo 92
Shaun Fensom 82
Clay Priest 67
Brenko Lee 55
Sam Williams 48
Frank Paul Nuuausala 35
Jeff Lima 34
Adam Clydsdale 16
Zac Santo 7
Lachlan Croker 4

In other words my assessment would be based on an intersection between these and average points per match. Can't be precise... but Fensom has to be rated lower than Soliola or Bateman for mine.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

You are welcome to your view.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

I at no point thought that i wasnt
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote:The other dimension I put on it in a season rating is the raw total points from each match. These are mine from TGE:

Jordan Rapana 195
Josh Papalii 192
Josh Hodgson 191
Jarrod Croker 188
Joey Leilua 176
Elliott Whitehead 175
Jack Wighton 174
Aidan Sezer 159
Shannon Boyd 159
Joseph Tapine 150
Paul Vaughan 134
Luke Bateman 128
Blake Austin 127
Kurt Baptiste 125
Iosia Soliola 124
Edrick Lee 119
Junior Paulo 92
Shaun Fensom 82
Clay Priest 67
Brenko Lee 55
Sam Williams 48
Frank Paul Nuuausala 35
Jeff Lima 34
Adam Clydsdale 16
Zac Santo 7
Lachlan Croker 4

In other words my assessment would be based on an intersection between these and average points per match. Can't be precise... but Fensom has to be rated lower than Soliola or Bateman for mine.
I have him as lower than Sia already. I have him level with Bateman. I nearly went 5.5 for Fensom, which by the above would probably have been fair.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So are these ratings supposed to be compared to themselves? To the Raiders? To the NRL? To the NRL across all time?

Because having this Raiders team all fall between 6 and 8 doesn't really make sense on any of those scales for mine.

As GE points out, it's easy to throw stones from the cheap seats, so here are mine for those under discussion. I'm doing mine compared to what is expected of an NRL player in that position. (Under 5 poor season, 5 what is expected, 7 good season, 9 exceptional season, 10 God mode):
BJ 9
Sia 8
Bateman 6
Fensom 4

With a note that Fensom's is a harsh 4 for most of the reasons Matt already stated.

Gangrenous is **** right and you know it or something...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

5/10
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Pigman is right and you know it is about to drop his season reviews
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote:So are these ratings supposed to be compared to themselves? To the Raiders? To the NRL? To the NRL across all time?

Because having this Raiders team all fall between 6 and 8 doesn't really make sense on any of those scales for mine.

As GE points out, it's easy to throw stones from the cheap seats, so here are mine for those under discussion. I'm doing mine compared to what is expected of an NRL player in that position. (Under 5 poor season, 5 what is expected, 7 good season, 9 exceptional season, 10 God mode):
BJ 9
Sia 8
Bateman 6
Fensom 4

With a note that Fensom's is a harsh 4 for most of the reasons Matt already stated.

Gangrenous is **** right and you know it or something... Image
I know you said a harsh 4, but by that reckoning you are saying Feno didn't do as you expected him too. So, im assuming you actually mean a 5.

Its interesting that when we were losing, and players got favourable scores, I got canned coz said player was in a losing side - stating job half done, or winning is everything, blah blah blah. Now im giving seemingly favourable scores to players in a winning side, and still getting canned for it. Lets face it, Feno didn't lose his place due to poor form or performance. He lost his place to a better/ more talented/ more skillful player. That speaks volumes as to our side, more than to Fensom as a player.

As for the grading, its NRL as a whole, which is also how RLW (the other number I include) do it. Your view on figures is fair too. Therefore, a 6 being 'solid', is just above avg, which I think is Fensom wheelhouse.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rankings Guide:
1-2 Oinks_____________ Not a serviceable FG player, depth or otherwise
2-4 Oinks_____________ Average to good depth player, ideally not a guy you want to play more than a handful of games
5 Oinks_______________ Average NRL FG, in a perfect world you want to upgrade this position, but you can live with them in the line up
6-7 Oinks_____________ Good to very good NRL player, maybe not a Rep player but an above average starter in the NRL
8-10 Oinks____________ Excellent to Elite NRL player, rep player or rep quality

----------------------------------------------

Josh Hodgson 9.5
Cam Smith would get 10's from me every year for the rest of his days, but Josh Hodgson wasn’t too far off him. Exceptional year and he made the leap to the elite players in the game. If you can name me 20 NRL players better than Hodgson, ill consider revising his 9.5

Joseph Leilua 9.0
I'll have to again do a mea culpa here, like many others I had my doubts about Leilua, but he proved this year exactly what he was capable of when he's got his off field issues under control. He was THE best centre in the game this year, bar none.

Kurt Baptiste 6.0
I don’t understand how Baptiste gets a 4.5 and Fensom gets a 6. Baptiste comes off the bench in a limited role and in limited minutes but he effects games, he can be a genuine match winner in this role and has been for this team. He's no superstar but he's an important part of a very good team.

Jack Wighton 6.5
Tough to rate Wighton, he spent half the year being arguably the worst fullback in the league. Plagued by errors and poor play, but the other half of the season he was excellent. And down the stretch he became a vital cog in our attacking game. I stuck with the 6.5 from Matt, i think that's a fair rating

Clay Priest 5.0
Priest is basically the definition of a 5 oink player. If there was no cap and you could spend what ever you like, you'd love to have Vaughan over him as a front rower, but we do have a cap and he's a good, solid dependable Fger

Edrick Lee 4.0
I can't give him more than 4 oinks. I appreciate he's got a lot of upside and talent and hopefully in 2017 he stays healthy and gets his game back on track but he did not have a good 2016. Particularly in the finals games we lost he made some pretty costly errors. Defensively he improved this year but still has issues

Luke Bateman 6.0
I like Bateman, he's a good 6 oinker. Young, ascending player who we can probably expect to go up another level and help replace what we lost in Paul Vaughan. I think this season bodes well for his career.

Blake Austin 7.5
Injury interrupted season but when he was on the park, fit and healthy, we saw the impact he has on the team, the x-factor he proves. He is a bit of a one trick pony in attack but when your one trick is THAT good and effective, maybe that's enough. Borderline rep quality.

Josh Papalii 9.5
2nd only to LoLo for the best forward in the game this year IMO, he was simply outstanding. All game, every game he put in work and terrorised teams. He's at the very top of his game, and again, find me 20 better RL players in the world and ill reconsider a 9.5 Oink Rating.

Aiden Sezer 7.0
Ill put my bias up front first. There is no a bigger fan of Sezer than me. So with that said, I think his season has been unfairly under-rated due to his FG yips. I feel like if he jagged even 2 of the FG's he attempted, everyone would feel a whole lot better about him. He's come to a new club with new players, his 5/8th was in and out of the line up and he was asked to play a distributor role when he's been THE man all his career at the titans. He definitely didn't play up to his usual standard but he was still an above average halfback in the NRL, with plenty of room to improve.

Sia Soliola 8.0
6.5 for arguably our most important none spine player is baffling to be quite honest. Sia adds so much to this team and it seems to me some people don’t really give him the credit he's due for that. He is the leader of this club, this generations Ruben Wiki. The team, defensively, just isn't the same without him on the field. He punches holes on both sides of the ball. I hope he can avoid injury in 2017, if he does, we're going to be just fine

Shaun Fensom 4.0
Sorry Fenno. I love him in a lot of ways, he's a good guy and a great clubman but the game has passed him by. You just cant have a lock forward work horse like him, you need impact from that position. 4 Oinks is where he belongs. At the right price, he's the type of player who you like rounding out your squad but you don't want him playing more than a handful of game
Last edited by Botman on December 8, 2016, 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Lost some scores there piggy
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fixed
Not sure what happened there
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

I don't care what anyone says about fenno ( without being rude ) I love him. He's a local boy,
Loves the club and he is still without doubt a squad player at the very worse.
Anyone who makes 50+ tackles a game in first grade is quality IMO
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I like pigman's scores. About the only one I'd change is Baptiste up half a point perhaps?

I don't think there's been a period of six months in which I've agreed with pigman more... one or both of us is changing might be time to go discuss the Liberal's **** energy policies in the politics thread?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think it might be.
Ill wait for you and your green thought powered car to arrive sometime in the new year
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

There we go
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote: I know you said a harsh 4, but by that reckoning you are saying Feno didn't do as you expected him too. So, im assuming you actually mean a 5.
See pigman's explanation. He wasn't really delivering what was expected of his position for the NRL this year. If he was, he wouldn't have been switched for Bateman.