Paul Vaughan signs with the Dragons

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Paul Vaughan set to sign with the Dragons

Post by simo »

Imagine telling your boss youve got a job lined up somewhere else and you want him to pay you 100k for a year to go and work there, in direct competition against him
Last edited by simo on October 5, 2016, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Paul Vaughan set to sign with the Dragons

Post by Botman »

simo wrote:Yeah like hell we are paying him to leave. Good luck with that
If we want him gone, and it appears we do
Paying for the privilege is just SOP now days. We pay 100k to save 350k to get a guy the coach doesn't want off our roster
Ignoring what we may think of the player and talking purely about money, spending 100k to save 350% of that is sound cap practise
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hbomb wrote:
Pigman wrote:I doubt that's due to salary cap pressure, no club is going to take him off our hands for nothing. Stuart wants him gone and other clubs know it, they were never going to give us a free get out

Only paying 100k of the deal seems pretty good to me
And its only for next year right?
Yep
They are on the hook for the entire amount from 2018 onwards
Similar to what we did with Tapine and Paulo, their former clubs paid x amount until their contract ends, we pick up the full bill and an upgrade there after
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote:
Paying for the privilege is just SOP now days. We pay 100k to save 350k to get a guy the coach doesn't want off our roster
Ignoring what we may think of the player and talking purely about money, spending 100k to save 350% of that is sound cap practise
you give the guy the option of walking from his contract. You dont cone to the table and bay him to leave when hes got a club lined up willing to pay overs for him already
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Paul Vaughan set to sign with the Dragons

Post by Botman »

That's just not how the real NRL works, I'm afraid
Otherwise we'd be paying full freight on Paulo and Tapine this year instead of tipping in barely anything for them

The guys at the other end of the negotiation table are professionals too.

We want him gone, the only way to facilitate that and have a club take him on early is to pay foot some of the bill.
If we said "nope, we're not paying for him", they'd just sign him for 2018-19 and wait it out like we did with Paulo and Tapine.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Thats not what happened with tapine at all. We picked him up for the entire cheap contract newcastle were paying him. Tapine was happy because he was lined up with the contract for the following 3-4 years
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe they could throw in BJs brother to sweeten the deal or is he off to the Doggies?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Paulo we got on the same cheap contract the eels had him on. Drags can do the same. Pay him what we were paying him next year and his higher contract kicks in the following year.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Not surprised he is heading off. The coin's likely not as much as reported (remember Tapine was coming to us for America's annual military budget) but it is obviously more than we are prepared to pay for someone that's not buying in.
Sorry to see him go though I don't think you can expect to play rep football if you are not prepared to put in off the park and you definitely don't play as well as you can if you don't prepare well.

Potential props considering which way we want to go:
Ben Hannant (lots of experience)
Sam Moa (feels he needs to prove himself)
Brenton Lawrence (mobile, if he can stay fit, and if we are having cap issues he wouldn't be expensive -- just read he is staying with manly for 2017 so I assume he's off the market)
Luciano Leilua (young kid that could be anything if he commits in the off season)

Or we could go a completely different route and spend some money on a lock (Elijah Taylor) and put Sia into prop next to Paulo. Would give us a bit more mobility and shifts Boyd to the bench so we don't have a lull in go forward sometimes. That might solve itself though with our kids and priest getting another off season under their belts, or Lima fit and raring to go again for a 20min barrage.

Really not looking forward to changing my avatar.
Last edited by zim on October 5, 2016, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote:Thats not what happened with tapine at all. We picked him up for the entire cheap contract newcastle were paying him. Tapine was happy because he was lined up with the contract for the following 3-4 years
That's not what happened at all, Simo
He was signed 4 months into the pay season, the Knights saved 85k, but had already paid him between November than March, which was probably worth 50kish already
They paid plenty of freight to have him play for us in 2016
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

zim wrote:Not surprised he is heading off. The coin's likely not as much as reported (remember Tapine was coming to us for America's annual military budget) but it is obviously more than we are prepared to pay for someone that's not buying in.
Sorry to see him go though I don't think you can expect to play rep football if you are not prepared to put in off the park and you definitely don't play as well as you can if you don't prepare well.

Potential props considering which way we want to go:
Ben Hannant (lots of experience)
Sam Moa (feels he needs to prove himself)
Brenton Lawrence (mobile, if he can stay fit, and if we are having cap issues he wouldn't be expensive)
Luciano Leilua (young kid that could be anything if he commits in the off season)

Or we could go a completely different route and spend some money on a lock (Elijah Taylor) and put Sia into prop next to Paulo. Would give us a bit more mobility and shifts Boyd to the bench so we don't have a lull in go forward sometimes. That might solve itself though with our kids and priest getting another off season under their belts, or Lima fit and raring to go again for a 20min barrage.

Really not looking forward to changing my avatar.
fifita?
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I'll just make it of myself with an FKL tattoo across my chest then sit back and watch GE berate me and Dr Zaius defend me.
I mean if you're going to go **** might as well go full ****.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's a good bloke whenever I've bumped into him, sad to see him go if true. Hope he goes well and earns that blue jersey he's threatened to at times wherever he ends up.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I've seen Luciano Leilua mentioned a few times now, but does anybody know how substantial these rumours are? He would be an awesome addition to our squad. I'm of the understanding that his supposed signing with the Bulldogs was never announced officially. Am I just being hopeful, or might there be some validity to the claims?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote:I've seen Luciano Leilua mentioned a few times now, but does anybody know how substantial these rumours are? He would be an awesome addition to our squad. I'm of the understanding that his supposed signing with the Bulldogs was never announced officially. Am I just being hopeful, or might there be some validity to the claims?
Just speculation. Last I read he was sorting out his management before sorting out his contract. But I think the dragons throwing so much at Vaughan shows they are not holding on to Leilua. I mean they were having cap issues already if reports are to be believed.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

zim wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:I've seen Luciano Leilua mentioned a few times now, but does anybody know how substantial these rumours are? He would be an awesome addition to our squad. I'm of the understanding that his supposed signing with the Bulldogs was never announced officially. Am I just being hopeful, or might there be some validity to the claims?
Just speculation. Last I read he was sorting out his management before sorting out his contract. But I think the dragons throwing so much at Vaughan shows they are not holding on to Leilua. I mean they were having cap issues already if reports are to be believed.
I wouldn't hold out any hope of him coming our way. The money being talked about would no doubt prove us out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Best of luck Vaughany. I will no doubt hate the Dragons a little less if you go there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We absolutely need another big bopper if we lose Vaughan.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:We absolutely need another big bopper if we lose Vaughan.
Didn't we sign a kid mountain from the Bunnies under 20's this year? Or was that last year?

Move Vaughan on must be about how much cap we have tied up in our front rower.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote:
We need to add somebody to the squad to replace him. The $100k will effectively be added to that person's cap value for 2017. If its somebody near minimum then our net cap gain will be around $250k. This is more likely to be used to top up an existing contract for one of our bargain buys (Hodgson, Whitehead, Rapana etc) to secure them on a deal from 2018 onwards.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Jason wrote:
Didn't we sign a kid mountain from the Bunnies under 20's this year? Or was that last year?

Yeah, we signed Emre Guler from the Rabbitohs. He would be at least a couple of years off first grade though. We did extend Daniel Dole, so he would also be an option for depth.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that monster from Souths is only 18-19. Probably 18 months off FG
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote:
Jason wrote:

Yeah, we signed Emre Guler from the Rabbitohs. He would be at least a couple of years off first grade though. We did extend Daniel Dole, so he would also be an option for depth.
We should be getting him for $528.70 per fortnight.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'm happy with Boyd, Paulo, Tapine and Priest as our starting Front rowers.
To free up $350k after you've paid him out, sounds like a good cap management decision. We'll add someone with potential on minimum, and give the leftover 200k to one or two as a way to upgrade and extend contracts.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

This is where we can't compete with the third party deals from other clubs. That extra money allows clubs to stockpile talent like Vaughan. We are under more pressure to juggle players and salary cap around. Wouldn't it be great to have Corey Parker for $200k, imagine what he'd bring to our squad.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Has the NRL indicated that they are reducing the interchange from 8 to 6 any time soon?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd hopes Paul Vaughan sticks with Canberra Raiders, but says mate has to make call

Kangaroos contender Shannon Boyd remains hopeful close mate Paul Vaughan will stay in Canberra next year.

"I'll have a talk to Vaughany ... I don't know what he's doing but I'd love for him to stay at the club," Boyd said. "We are good mates and I'd miss the big fella if he moved away. But he's got to do what's in his best interests and you've got to put yourself in his shoes. It's a tough one but I'll back him with whatever he does."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ruusb.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote:
edwahu wrote:
Jason wrote:

We should be getting him for $528.70 per fortnight.
You're thinking of Daniel Newstart.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

:lol:
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

BJ wrote:This is where we can't compete with the third party deals from other clubs. That extra money allows clubs to stockpile talent like Vaughan. We are under more pressure to juggle players and salary cap around. Wouldn't it be great to have Corey Parker for $200k, imagine what he'd bring to our squad.
Our 3rd party game is also pretty strong from what I've heard
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Too many parties is the problem!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Hannant or elijah taylor would be good pickups

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We should sign this bloke
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I see Priest and Vaughan as having essentially the same body type. Considering Priest usurped Vaughan in the top 17, and is probably on only about $150K (just guessing), it makes sense to let Vaughan go. We replace like for like and save $300K to retain players beyond their current contracts. A club like ours needs a cheapie like Priest to remain competitive. Its the price of success.

Sad to see a local boy go. I hope he stays and wants to prove himself, but ~$600K a year is ridiculous to turn down.
Good luck to him whatever he decides.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

edwahu wrote:
Jason wrote:

So he's very young, hopefully he's good to go for 2018 after Lima finishes up.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.