27%
Storm 13+
No votes

Total votes: 15

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2016 Finals Wk 3 V Storm: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Pigman wrote:I have absolutely no doubt in the world that Munster gets marched if he did the same thing.
I saw Munster do worse than Wighton against Newcastle without getting sin binned so I don't know why you hold this opinion.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote:I have absolutely no doubt in the world that Munster gets marched if he did the same thing.
No chance Munster would have been binned in Melbourne with the Storm up by 2 and 20 to play in a GF Qualifier. There's a reason why the NRL is the most inconsistent professional sporting league in the world.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

It was a great semi.
And tbh in the recent past a game with injuries,dubious penalties and relentless physicality would have been enough for us at the 50 minute mark.
We played tough last night.

But.....

What irks me is the way the refs allow themselves to be manipulated.
The storm will always get three into a tackle.First around the hips,second up high and their intention is to keep the ball runner not only up,but moving,allowing for a third player to enter and get him to the ground each twisting a different part of him .Once the momentum has transferred from the one offensive player to the two/three defensive players the referee is entitled to call held.
Those seconds that pass until the refs call held allow for their line to set.Instead of blowing a penalty for holding down they call held and only then do they start to peel.Where they are getting manipulated is by allowing the tacklers to peel singularly rather than simultaneously.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I am just not sure how I feel about the NRL's field markings last night. I am correct in thinking that the 30 meter markers was painted as 300. It is supposed to be the NRL's game not the Storms. I know Cronk is a geat player but this is not a home and away game.
Fair Cop
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Raps

Post by Fair Cop »

Totally devastated but so proud of the team.

The circumstances we faced in that game I believe would have had any other team done and dusted and when Jack got binned I thought we were done but they just showed how good a team they are by hanging in and still having a chance to win it.

The dubious decisions, the binning and injuries to still only go down by 2 points, due to one of the most pathetic penalties of the year, will just have them so primed to go further. The rest of the comp better be ready for an even hungrier and more potent version of the Raiders because I believe we will be the team to beat next season.

As for Eddy, I feel so bad for him, I like him and I hope he can come back from this. He had 4 chances to score, 2 would have been lay downs and if he takes just one of those chances we go on to win and after everything that happened in that game it was still just those big moments which we didn't capitalize on that cost us the game and it's really hard to swallow.

Jack taking that ball dead near the end would be something he'd like back, a full 7 tackle set and the boys would have backed themselves in from there.

This feeling sucks, to go down to the 2 grand finalists by basically 3 penalty goals in these finals, we could easily be there if not for some ref incompetence and individual errors but we just have to get better and go that extra step next year. Can't wait.

Go Raiders!!!
#The Clap #The Team #The Vibe
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So now what..?
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

On to next year. Big pre season. Hopefully we get a couple in the Four Nations to give them that extra bit of confidence.

It'll be tougher next year now that teams like the Tigers and Panthers have found their own form a bit but I'm very confident we will be fighting for another top 4 spot next seaaon too.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

^ Your profile pic looks like a cross between Webster and Grimace from McDonalds.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BJ wrote:Have the raiders had an opposition player sent to the sin bin for holding down a player after a break?

I can think of countless times this season that Rapa alone has been tackled in a similar situation and we have been awarded a penalty at best.

A few times we haven't even received a penalty. Storm have been in the news about not being sent to the Bin for very similar situations. Check out Cronk on Newcastle I think it was from memory.

I certainly think Koribete was tackled two meters before the 20m line and walked forward a metre past the line.
Tackled players walking meters forward off the mark is a gripe of mine BJ. We see it so often and nothing is done. Last night this act of illegal play cost us a bloke in the sin bin. Attackers have so many advantages with the 10 meter rule and peel off the tackled player rule. It is garbage for the refs not to enforce players playing the ball on the mark and then sin bin a marker. If he plays the ball on the mark, as the rule says, then play goes on. They got away with a game changer ref decision.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Definitely not holding back there..
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We can try analysing this as much as we want but I think the reality is a few wounded troops at the wrong time of the year and just a lack of experience were probably the difference between us going through to the GF and getting knocked out. It's no coincidence two of the most experienced sides are in the GF, albeit two of the less exciting sides to watch.

If we can have some of those key players keep their form up next year e.g. BJ, Rapana, Croker, and Hodgson, and our spine continues to gel, we should push hard again next year.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Wow that 2GB commentary. Not holding back!!!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Well nobody can prove you wrong :lol:
No one can prove you guys wrong either ;)

Just on the Austin forward pass, it's worth noting that Edrick Lee and Croker played on not knowing the ball had been called forward and wound up turning the ball over anyways
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Well nobody can prove you wrong Image

Just on the Austin forward pass, it's worth noting that Edrick Lee and Croker played on not knowing the ball had been called forward and wound up turning the ball over anyways
Prove what wrong?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Wow I haven't heard David Morrow wound up like that before!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Prove what wrong?

That Munster wouldn't have been sin binned as suggested by other posters
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Schifty wrote:

For some reason, this makes me feel better.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Prove what wrong?

That Munster wouldn't have been sin binned as suggested by other posters
I didn't say that so why respond to my post with it. Nobody can say they know what would have happened if something happened that didn't happen.

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Because you responded directly to my post, haha
Do try to keep up, NR
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Keep it up? I didn’t make any claims. You did.

Anyway did you come up with an example this year of a sin bin similar to Jack's? There's only 16 other sin bins this uear. I read somewhere that 80 out of 100 are for similar things. Surely you can find one.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Tell me the games a sin bin occurred and I'll happily oblige
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Pigman wrote:Tell me the games a sin bin occurred and I'll happily oblige
To start off, there's Leilua vs Roosters, Josh Jackson at Belmore, Greg Bird vs us, Cronk and Fifita in Origin, Koroibete got sin binned against the Tigers(?) I believe.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Joey Leilua Rd 2
Sosaia Feki Rd 2
Jordan McLean Rd 2
Josh Jackson Round 5
Richie Kennar Round 7
Corey Norman Round 8
Steve Matai Round 8
Blake Ayshford round 8
Kenny Bromwich round 9
Latrell Mitchell round 11
Ken Maumalo round 15
Nathan Ross round 16
Greg Bird round 16
Blake Ferguson round 19
David Mead round 21
Jack Wighton Prelim 2
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Pigman wrote:Tell me the games a sin bin occurred and I'll happily oblige
To start off, there's Leilua vs Roosters, Josh Jackson at Belmore, Greg Bird vs us, Cronk and Fifita in Origin, Koroibete got sin binned against the Tigers(?) I believe.
You won't be able to name a Broncos situation. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LOSE A PLAYER TO THE SIN BIN ONCE AGAIN THIS SEASON.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just watching the replay now. How good was that last Raiders try. Our new right edge combination of Paulo, Tapine and Whitehead. Leipana, you've got nothing. :lol:
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Azza wrote:I'm a little more despondent this morning. We had the team to win it this year and with the modern game being so fickle in terms of potential for injuries, the salary cap and form etc. I don't know if we can back up next year. Anyway, I hope we do and I hope we're a finals force for years to come.
My fear as well! Got to take it with both hands when the opportunity presents, it may never come again.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

reptar wrote:Wow I haven't heard David Morrow wound up like that before!
What'd they say?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Northern Raider wrote:This year the refs have only used the sin bin when they call it a professional foul in a try scoring situation. You cannot call a play the ball 30m out a try scoring situation. Basically the interpretation changed in that one instance last night. why was that?
Matt Cecchin.

4 incorrect or inconsistent calls in last nights game that could have gone either way that all went in the Storms favour. Sure we wasted some half chances but anyone who thinks the refs didn't have a significant influence on last nights game don't know what they're watching.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Schifty wrote:

'The idiotic refereeing is so pathetic'

Sums up my thoughts entirely. **** Matt Cecchin
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Schifty wrote:

'The idiotic refereeing is so pathetic'

Sums up my thoughts entirely. **** Matt Cecchin
Need more commentary like this.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

I think it was more the touchy than cecchin, but he did go along I suppose
Fair Cop
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Raps

Post by Fair Cop »

It was great to see the clear crusher tackle on Hodgo get totally ignored as well.
#The Clap #The Team #The Vibe
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I can cop literally every other call except the alleged strip in the 15th minute. Hodgo was so far away from Finucane at the time (from memory he was all the way back in the stands drinking a powerade and having a chat to some fans) and yet Finucane loses the ball and they get a penalty which, ultimately, stopped it from going to extra time. Every commentator on both broadcasts were dumbfounded by the call.

Feels like we've gone over this a million times. I guess it's just still a bit raw. Maybe it'll get easier now that we have a team that can make it to finals every year? We'll get used to it like all the Broncos, Storm fans etc.

Grand final next year though.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Fair Cop wrote:It was great to see the clear crusher tackle on Hodgo get totally ignored as well.
And the arm to Austins jaw, there was a stop in play there and the bunker done FA
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

In both cases, the referee's missed them and the rule is they have to be bad enough to warrant being put on report before a penalty can be awarded by the bunker. Neither case deserved a report. It kind of upsets me that we lay down for these penalties tbh

And on the Austin high tackle, we got a penalty literally one tackle later for only god knows what. Classic make up call.