Footy Social: Finals Wk 3 V Storm

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Driving to Melbourne

Post by Bay53 »

What a win guys.

Now we have the trip to Melbourne. For a lot of people they are probably looking at flights and are horrified by the cost and are considering driving.

I am born and bred in Melbourne and have driven down there many times in my 13 years living in Canberra (all 13 as a Raiders member but that is another story). One of the great myths I hear in Canberra is people guessing how long it takes to drive to Melb. I have heard everything from about 4 hours to 12 hours.

I can tell you it will take just over 6 hours from the Northern part of Canberra to the outskirts of Melb. With a clear run it could be 6 1/2 into town.

The Humy Hwy is double lane the whole way and doesn't go through any towns these days. No slowing down to 50 in Holbrook (where there was always a copper with a radar) or the 15 mins to get through Albury.

The only single land road is to Murrumbateman and towards Yass. Once you hit about 10kms out of Yass and you get double lane it is 110km freeway all the way. I grew up near the airport and I reckon I could get to my old house in just on 6 hours these days. Of course it is more sensible to take regular breaks.

So anyway if you are thinking of doing it, it is very possible and if you leave after breakfast Saturday morning you will be in Melb by mid afternoon with plenty of time for kickoff.

Having said all that I am fortunate in that I already had a flight booked but for those not so fortunate hope this advice helps because I guarantee you someone in Canberra will tell you it takes over 10 hours.
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Re: Driving to Melbourne

Post by raidersmalt »

There's also google maps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Footy Social: Finals Wk 3 V Storm

Post by -TW- »

Made the call, will drive down saturday

Staying at the Mantra on Jolimont

Who's in
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

raidersmalt wrote:There's also google maps.

According to Google Maps it's a 6 hour 36 minute drive from the centre of Canberra to the centre of Melbourne. Alternatively it is a 5 day 7 hour walk. I recommend not walking.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dr Zaius wrote:

According to Google Maps it's a 6 hour 36 minute drive from the centre of Canberra to the centre of Melbourne. Alternatively it is a 5 day 7 hour walk. I recommend not walking.
You have this afternoon to get ready if you are taking that option.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I drove to Melbourne back in February and it's not too bad. Stopped a couple of times in the way there and back and just enjoyed a long road trip. Leaving Saturday morning and can't wait already.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bay53 wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

You have this afternoon to get ready if you are taking that option.
Start stretching
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Dr Zaius wrote:

Seems a little odd a doctor is recommending people don't exercise....
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: Footy Social: Prelim Final vs Storm

Post by Raider Azz »

I'm in, heading down with Boing, Ultra, and a few others. Biggest Raiders match in over 20 years. Can't wait!
Last edited by Raider Azz on September 18, 2016, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Footy Social: Finals Wk 3 V Storm

Post by greeneyed »

I'm going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

bought two tickets in bay 78... getting cold feet at how much it will cost to get there...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Just can't afford it at the moment
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CJ42 wrote:bought two tickets in bay 78... getting cold feet at how much it will cost to get there...
Don't bother flying, was looking at 700+ return
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Looks like Murrays are going to be putting some travel packages together according to the Raiders Facebook. Will be available tomorrow morning.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Raiders are working with Murrays with getting buses organised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

-TW- wrote:
CJ42 wrote:bought two tickets in bay 78... getting cold feet at how much it will cost to get there...
Don't bother flying, was looking at 700+ return
Yeah it's disgusting. Accomodation isn't that bad in Melbourne though.
How many are driving up?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider Azz wrote:Looks like Murrays are going to be putting some travel packages together according to the Raiders Facebook. Will be available tomorrow morning.
You'd wanna hope it's an overnight stay, that would be a looooong day otherwise
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BTW - what pace does Google maps expect one to walk? That is 110kms per day!!

Jared Tallent couldn't even do that?

Jarrod Croker on the other hand could, and could probably keep walking to Tasmania, on top of the water!!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I was the same but all booked, you know what I've been waiting 19 years to be in this position, who knows when the next one will be.

In Ricky We Trust
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

I'm driving down.

World easiest drive. It can be done legally in just over 6 hours.

Will be leaving Canberra about 7am, stopping at Jugiong for a breakfast feed and getting to Melbourne about 3pm. Plenty of time for a power nap and a refreshing beer!

Hope to see some fans traveling down or I might tailgate that Murrays bus!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Carpool Sydney to Melbourne

Post by Canberra Milk »

Just gauging interest at this stage. Would anyone be interested in carpooling Sydney to Melbourne over the weekend?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Carpool Sydney to Melbourne

Post by Canberra Milk »

Or even vanpooling.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Carpool Sydney to Melbourne

Post by bonehead »

Down and back or staying over?
Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders Something
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Raiders Something »

Just got tickets, bay 76. So ******* excited, need the week to hurry up.
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Re: Canberra Raiders finals tickets

Post by KW »

A few years back we had pre-game drinks at the Corner Hotel in Richmond, it was a decent joint and didn't take long from there to the game

I think we need to make a decision on a location, and promote it far and wide, turn the joint green all afternoon prior to the game

Get in!

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

KW wrote:A few years back we had pre-game drinks at the Corner Hotel in Richmond, it was a decent joint and didn't take long from there to the game

I think we need to make a decision on a location, and promote it far and wide, turn the joint green all afternoon prior to the game

Get in!

KW
Corner Hotel is a very good option. It is right next to Richmond station (get out the actual Richmond exit not the Melb Park or MCG exits). Only probably 500m walk to AAMI park. Can also catch a team or walk down from city.

Pub gets packed at nighttime because it is one of the best places in Melb for live gigs but during the arvo should be fine.

There is of course the Royal Hotel up Punt Rd if you get bored. I am not sure Her Majesty has quite given the stamp of approval for the ahem, "entertainment" that is provided!!!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Actually on second thoughts the Corner Hotel might not be the eat best option. The rooftop terrace is closed for renovations. Downstairs bar is probably not the best option. Richmond Club hotel opposite probably better option.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

KW wrote:A few years back we had pre-game drinks at the Corner Hotel in Richmond, it was a decent joint and didn't take long from there to the game

Get in!

KW
If someone organises, we will promote it.
KW
David Furner

Post by KW »

Bay53 wrote:Actually on second thoughts the Corner Hotel might not be the eat best option. The rooftop terrace is closed for renovations. Downstairs bar is probably not the best option. Richmond Club hotel opposite probably better option.
Yeah I just got that same advice - a shame cause that rooftop bar would have been awesome.

I might ring both the Club Hotel and the Swan Hotel and see if I can get some sort of discount for the Raiders fans attending, then we go with the pub with the best discount / promo

KW
94Raiders_GOAT
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by 94Raiders_GOAT »

KW wrote:
Bay53 wrote:Actually on second thoughts the Corner Hotel might not be the eat best option. The rooftop terrace is closed for renovations. Downstairs bar is probably not the best option. Richmond Club hotel opposite probably better option.
Yeah I just got that same advice - a shame cause that rooftop bar would have been awesome.

I might ring both the Club Hotel and the Swan Hotel and see if I can get some sort of discount for the Raiders fans attending, then we go with the pub with the best discount / promo

KW
EDIT
Last edited by 94Raiders_GOAT on September 19, 2016, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94Raiders_GOAT
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by 94Raiders_GOAT »

KW wrote:

KW
Howdy KW and sundry - long-time lurker first-time poster. I live in Richmond, about 10 minutes walk from AAMI Park and am stoked to be going on Saturday - sitting in Bay 80 in the Raiders section.

In terms of a good place to go - I dare say the Dirty Swan (Swan Hotel) would be a good option compared to the RCH. RCH is a decent venue, but can get packed quite quickly and the floor plan is a bit crap if you have a large group of people. Swan Hotel is a bit more open and would be better if there is a decent group of people going. There is also the Great Britain Hotel which is 100 metres up the road which is a decent spot. A bit hipsterish, but not in a bad way. Also on Swan Street between the RCH and Dirty Swan is the Vaucluse Hotel. It's a bit dodgy, seems to attract some interest folk in there - but again it's got ample space and doesn't tend to be packed out if the Storm are the only game of footy on.

All in all - most places shouldn't be too packed being that there's no AFL on. Happy to head anywhere to chat to some fellow Raiders fans pre-game.
r0p0
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Kurt Baptise

Post by r0p0 »

Hey Guys,

Long time club member, but only ever lurked on here..

Heading down to the game (Bay 78). Lucky enough to get flights using FF points.

Is there a pub we can all meet at prior to the game to get in the spirit?
KW
David Furner

Post by KW »

Ok Rooftop Bar @ Club Hotel Richmond has been booked for Raiders fans to gather and soak up the pre game atmosphere - from 3pm - obviously the main bar will be open for any early openers

See you there

KW
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Omfg..... I can't believe I'm likely to miss this

KW
David Furner

Post by KW »

Sorry guys I booked the rooftop bar before seeing the above - let's head there and run the show