Whitehead to hooker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Whitehead to hooker

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've convinced myself that this is what needs to happen if Hodgson doesn't play.

Reasons:

Hodgson is a playmaker, Baptiste is not. Playing Baptiste for 80 puts pressure on Austin and Sezer to create more with their passing, which takes away from their natural game. If Hodgson is out, we need a playmaker to replace him. Whitehead has shown enough to me with his vision that he can do this.

Baptiste can't pass long. He does these looping slow passes that only sometimes hit mark. That's fine when coming off the bench, he can just play around the ruck. But over the course of the match, we need those long passes to hit the mark otherwise it stifles our whole outwide attack. Whitehead can pass long with aplomb.

It's a little left field but I can't see any other option I'm comfortable with. Even if just for the opening stanza: Whitehead to hooker.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Re: Whitehead to hooker

Post by LP Raider »

To think about it is one thing, to start a thread is another.

You've drop down a few pegs in the respectabilty order on this forum, NR, S82 clearly ahead now.

Sorry.
WorkChoice
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I've heard dumber ideas.

Can't remember where... but seriously, there are a number of flaws and assumptions in your argument. If Baptiste at hooker puts pressure on our playmakers - maybe they should do their jobs? Nothing I recall suggests Whitehead is better at long passes than Baptiste, and Whitehead isn't doing it week in week out under the pressure a dummy half is.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Not for me. Points for creativity but a no for me.
I think play making out of hooker is a totally different ball game to the halves, it's just a different dimension having to get out of hooker quickly and engaging markers, A-B defenders from a standing start is a totally different skill set than to be able to take the ball standing up, with eyes on the defence and seeing how it's moving and reacting in motion.

Also we lose a big strength of Whitehead, i know he's made some bad misses on the fringes but he's an excellent defensive player out there generally in terms of reading the play and we will need him out there on his game against a panthers side who love to attack the fringes and specifically the 2nd row-centre spot with motion, numbers and 2nd phase.

It's an option i think we should look at if we lose all our hookers mid game and need to come up with a solution mid game, as we did Bateman a few months ago.
But to be perfectly honest if we are looking for out of the box hooker options, if Austin's hand is good enough to play it's got to be him with Williams in the halves with Sezer.

But the only reasonable option if Hodgson cant play is to take our chances with Baptiste or move Austin retaining Williams.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Oh dear...
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Oh frick
I don't post facts
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Campese to hooker
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Buttriss for me
I don't post facts
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

No chance.

Baptiste starts.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Hayne !!
I don't post facts
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Show a bit of faith in Clydesdale.

He starts and then Baptise comes on.

No to Whitehead at hooker.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If you're throwing Clydsdale under the bus you'd be better off gambling on Williams to shift there I reckon/
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Raidersfan wrote:Hayne !!
Good grief, Titans.

Team killer.
WorkChoice
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Sleek the Elite wrote:Show a bit of faith in Clydesdale.

I can't see Clydesdale performing in a semi.
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

Didnt we learn anything at all from the Tongue experiment?
canberrigan lives
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: brett mullins

Post by canberrigan lives »

Whitehead to five eighth and the injury-prone Austin back to Mount Druitt. And he's free to pick up all the hitchhikers and stop at every duck crossing on the drive back.
2016 Golden Boogs Punter Of The Year Nominee and unanimous MVP
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Regs Revolution wrote:

I can't see Clydesdale performing in a semi.
I'm expecting a MoM performance from him.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

canberrigan lives wrote:Whitehead to five eighth and the injury-prone Austin back to Mount Druitt. And he's free to pick up all the hitchhikers and stop at every duck crossing on the drive back.
**** off back to Broncos HQ
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

canberrigan lives wrote:Whitehead to five eighth and the injury-prone Austin back to Mount Druitt. And he's free to pick up all the hitchhikers and stop at every duck crossing on the drive back.
Why haven't you replied to my PM?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

Remember when we put Alan Tongue in at hooker... those were the good times...
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agreed Sleek. This is exactly what Sticky did earlier in the season when Hodgo was missing. Mounties play 4 hours before the Raiders on Saturday. We will know early if there is something 'unusual' for the Panthers match. I really don't expect Sticky to do anything other than what the side has trained for all year. He has the system in place which got us to 2nd place during the premiership rounds. I don't see much reason to change that system.
canberrigan lives
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: brett mullins

Post by canberrigan lives »

Raider Bell wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about. But in any case I just found out what the 'foe' function does. Seems like if i were an alt I would have already known that. But I'll play along. How 'bout those Broncos! :thumbsup
2016 Golden Boogs Punter Of The Year Nominee and unanimous MVP
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

LP Raider wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:Hayne !!
Good grief, Titans.

Team killer.
I've heard he's looking to his dream .. an insider tells me he wants Victors job
I don't post facts
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I have no faith in Clydesdale based on what I've seen in NRL.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

LP Raider wrote:To think about it is one thing, to start a thread is another.

You've drop down a few pegs in the respectabilty order on this forum, NR, S82 clearly ahead now.

Sorry.
I've had a lot of stupid ideas over the years. It's part of the package with me.

However, I don't think this is one of them.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Canberra Milk wrote:I have no faith in Clydesdale based on what I've seen in NRL.
He was the total package 9 coming through the knights system as understudy to Buderus, the lack of development is alarming really
Edrick The Entertainer
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Pigman wrote:Not for me. Points for creativity but a no for me.
I think play making out of hooker is a totally different ball game to the halves, it's just a different dimension having to get out of hooker quickly and engaging markers, A-B defenders from a standing start is a totally different skill set than to be able to take the ball standing up, with eyes on the defence and seeing how it's moving and reacting in motion.

Also we lose a big strength of Whitehead, i know he's made some bad misses on the fringes but he's an excellent defensive player out there generally in terms of reading the play and we will need him out there on his game against a panthers side who love to attack the fringes and specifically the 2nd row-centre spot with motion, numbers and 2nd phase.
As usual I agree with the majority of your points. Not with your conclusion this time, though.

I agree we lose a little by moving Whitehead, but not nearly as much as moving Austin. Soliola will go great at second row, he's better at that than lock really.

It's a different ballgame playing hooker to the halves, for the reasons you mentioned? Yes. But I'm just concerned about Baptiste's long passing. Most teams only put one genuine set play out to the backs per set, and it only takes on fluff pass from dummy half to spoil that.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Actually this idea *could* be stupid, I mean it's not without risk, sure. I just wonder if it's the least risky out of the options we've got. Like I said, it could just be for the first 20-30 minutes (when play tends to be a lot more structured).
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Ricky hope you're taking note
I don't post facts
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

canberrigan lives wrote:
Raider Bell wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about. But in any case I just found out what the 'foe' function does. Seems like if i were an alt I would have already known that. But I'll play along. How 'bout those Broncos! :thumbsup
What's the foe function do? I've never used any of that stuff, I don't need enhancements to enjoy the GH experience.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ignores people, but Tapatalk is **** and their posts appear when they quote someone.. defeats the whole purpose
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

-TW- wrote:Ignores people, but Tapatalk is **** and their posts appear when they quote someone.. defeats the whole purpose
Well just on the off chance I've been ignored I've quoted your post so it pops up. Thanks Timmy!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote:Ignores people, but Tapatalk is **** and their posts appear when they quote someone.. defeats the whole purpose
I've found that out recently too. Very annoying
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Pigman wrote:Not for me. Points for creativity but a no for me.

It's an option i think we should look at if we lose all our hookers mid game and need to come up with a solution mid game, as we did Bateman a few months ago.
But to be perfectly honest if we are looking for out of the box hooker options, if Austin's hand is good enough to play it's got to be him with Williams in the halves with Sezer.

But the only reasonable option if Hodgson cant play is to take our chances with Baptiste or move Austin retaining Williams.
This.

Hooker is so different to most other roles, it really takes a lot to get used to, from following the ball each and every tackle so you're there for a late offload and to pass, organising the forwards and coordinating with your halves, usually doing a lot of organisation and barking orders in D, even the passing itself is different. Also the part about having Whitehead on our edges is crucial, he made so many important tackles against the sharks and I expect he'll be called on to do even more against the Panthers.

And this.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The point about no Hodgson putting pressure on the the halves.... Jesus, they should be under plenty of pressure as is and should be able to handle it. They're strong players and its the final series. It's about time Aiden Sezer steps up to the plate. He was very underwhelming and disappointing last week.

Putting the ball into the hands of our halves should not be a problem. And if it is, then they shouldn't be our halves.