London Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

London Raiders

Post by Raiders Lim! »

A little while ago, a few of you asked about flights back to Aus.
The stars have aligned for me over here with work and commitments so yesterday I did it.
Regardless of the footy, a trip home is never wasted I guess!

Two days ago I was looking at Qantas and couldn't get anything cheaper than £1008.
Yesterday for some reason I got one at £825 so I bit the bullet.

I did a bit of shopping around as well, there are still Malaysian flights floating around the £730 mark but there's a long stop over on the way over.
Qatar and Etihad are going around the £800 mark.
BA is well in excess of £1100 at the moment.

I have no idea how their system works (In my mind you could probably make Big Short Movie about it) and obviously these are going to fluctuate heaps, but I hope this helps!

Now lets all collectively hope I haven't put the mocker on the fellas - C'arn Raiders! :thumbsup
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Re: London Raiders

Post by twistedbydesign »

I had a cursory glance the other day and there are currently some as cheap as £625, however with the likes of Air India and other similarly dubious carriers. My plan is to see what happens this weekend, if we're in a prelim I'll have everything ready to go (leave approved etc) ready to purchase as soon as the outcome of our prelim is decided. I just can't miss this if we make the big one!!

Reckon anywhere will be showing the game this Saturday morn?
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Thanks mate. Cheapest I could find yesterday using Skyscanner was about £850 but the flights were through some airline I'd never heard of and took forever. But that was leaving on Friday and I can't remember which day it was coming back. It's a lot to pony up (especially when you factor in hotels and such) so I'm starting to get cold feet. The little lady was telling me I should.... I dunno, it's a proper pain for me to get any time off around then and since I havn't seen family in years I'd need to visit them whilst I'm there or I'd be be disowned...

Ah well. What dates did you use for ththose Quantas and Etihad flights?
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

twistedbydesign wrote:I had a cursory glance the other day and there are currently some as cheap as £625, however with the likes of Air India and other similarly dubious carriers. My plan is to see what happens this weekend, if we're in a prelim I'll have everything ready to go (leave approved etc) ready to purchase as soon as the outcome of our prelim is decided. I just can't miss this if we make the big one!!

Might be a pub to watch it, maybe (The Slug and other places like that usually show origin and the GF). I normally watch online at home but if there is a group of us heading to the pub I could be convinced to rouse myself from slumber and head over. I'm around Hammersmith so anywhere sorta West London is where I'd be looking.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Archer wrote:Thanks mate. Cheapest I could find yesterday using Skyscanner was about £850 but the flights were through some airline I'd never heard of and took forever. But that was leaving on Friday and I can't remember which day it was coming back. It's a lot to pony up (especially when you factor in hotels and such) so I'm starting to get cold feet. The little lady was telling me I should.... I dunno, it's a proper pain for me to get any time off around then and since I havn't seen family in years I'd need to visit them whilst I'm there or I'd be be disowned...

Ah well. What dates did you use for ththose Quantas and Etihad flights?
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! :lol:
I'm flying out on the 26th Sept mate... Like I said, I'm all in haha
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Archer wrote:
twistedbydesign wrote:I had a cursory glance the other day and there are currently some as cheap as £625, however with the likes of Air India and other similarly dubious carriers. My plan is to see what happens this weekend, if we're in a prelim I'll have everything ready to go (leave approved etc) ready to purchase as soon as the outcome of our prelim is decided. I just can't miss this if we make the big one!!

Might be a pub to watch it, maybe (The Slug and other places like that usually show origin and the GF). I normally watch online at home but if there is a group of us heading to the pub I could be convinced to rouse myself from slumber and head over. I'm around Hammersmith so anywhere sorta West London is where I'd be looking.
I'm over in the Shoreditch Area so not sure we're going to find a happy middle ground?
The only place I've been to watch the footy is JetLag Sports Bar, had a great morning watching Origin with a bunch of not so great Queenslanders!
Tried Walkabout as well.
Never. Again.
:nooo

EDIT: Just found out Jetlag has since closed down haha
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'll take a couplr of beers out of the fridge now in case you make it over
Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins

Post by Raiders Lim! »

bonehead wrote:I'll take a couplr of beers out of the fridge now in case you make it over Image
Make sure you pop the tops off too mate. Can't have it too gassy... ;)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders Lim! wrote:
bonehead wrote:I'll take a couplr of beers out of the fridge now in case you make it over Image
Make sure you pop the tops off too mate. Can't have it too gassy... ;)
Good as done - hope to get to shout you a thousand!
Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Surely the Walkabout would have something on for the GF? We went there for one of the World Cup games in 2014. Good atmosphere.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I don't know about this short a notice, but I know there have been fares going the other way for as cheap as just over $1k (return).
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Bay53 wrote:Surely the Walkabout would have something on for the GF? We went there for one of the World Cup games in 2014. Good atmosphere.
I watched an Origin game in a walkabout in England. Absolutely packed with Queenslanders. Apart from that it was a great time.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think they have a pretty big weekend with the AFL about 5.30am Saturday morning and then the NRL is at a bit more civilised time on the Sunday morning.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Yeah they will have a GF thing but I'm pretty sure the lads were talking about this weekend. Or at least I was. I'll have a little google when i get the chance and see if anywhere bothers with finals games live outside of the GF
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Walkabout is definitely doing something big for the GF. I understand that as a matter of course they show all the League games, so finals shouldn't be any different.

If there's any interest to rock along as a group on Saturday, I'd be up for that. They apparently open at 8am.
Steamed Hams
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Steamed Hams »

I contacted the Walkabout yesterday and they confirmed that they will be showing the game on Saturday morning. Planning on heading down there with a few friends. Last time I was there for a semi final match in the morning, there were about 30 people there.. got a seat and good view of the TV.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Yeah as much as it sucks in a lot of respects I've had some cracking times at the Walkabout for Aussie sport - I'd be keen for Saturday morning if we can get a group together?

If there's any interest I'll ring tomorrow to make sure they're showing it.

I'm still getting some sub £700 flights from Skyscanner (even with Singapore Airlines so not too bad), but that's on the basis of flying in a day or two before and back a day or two after.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Steamed Hams wrote:I contacted the Walkabout yesterday and they confirmed that they will be showing the game on Saturday morning. Planning on heading down there with a few friends. Last time I was there for a semi final match in the morning, there were about 30 people there.. got a seat and good view of the TV.
Would love to see some pics of the London GHers watching the game! Post them here or to TheGHRaiders on Twitter or Instagram. Use the #WearGreen2016 or #FromAllAngles tags and you're in the running for prizes as well.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Steamed Hams wrote:I contacted the Walkabout yesterday and they confirmed that they will be showing the game on Saturday morning. Planning on heading down there with a few friends. Last time I was there for a semi final match in the morning, there were about 30 people there.. got a seat and good view of the TV.
Sorry didn't see this before I posted previously. That's good news they're showing it, will see if my Raiders supporting mate is keen to get involved.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

So Walkabout Temple then? Apparently there is a Union game on at the same time so it could be a good idea to phone ahead and get us a booth (For the romance... oh and so that we make sure we have a telly with the game on) if anyone is able to do that >.>
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote:
Would love to see some pics of the London GHers watching the game! Post them here or to TheGHRaiders on Twitter or Instagram. Use the #WearGreen2016 or #FromAllAngles tags and you're in the running for prizes as well.
I'll send you some GE... even though you spurned my last attempt to win your respect :(
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That is so not true.
Steamed Hams
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Steamed Hams »

Archer wrote:So Walkabout Temple then? Apparently there is a Union game on at the same time so it could be a good idea to phone ahead and get us a booth (For the romance... oh and so that we make sure we have a telly with the game on) if anyone is able to do that >.>
I'll try to get the Honeymoon booth.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance

Post by Greedysmurf »

greeneyed wrote:
Help an Instagram luddite out. If your Instagram account is set to private, does hashtagging still work?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greedysmurf wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Help an Instagram luddite out. If your Instagram account is set to private, does hashtagging still work?
Nope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mickeyfitz
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrord Croker

Post by Mickeyfitz »

All the union internationals are on at walkabout temple. And I know raiders vs sharks is on. Not sure about other finals. I'm definitely heading there on Saturday morning. They have a thing on for the GF for £5 per entry. I'm heading to that too. So there will be at least one nut case raider there
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Steamed Hams wrote:
Archer wrote:So Walkabout Temple then? Apparently there is a Union game on at the same time so it could be a good idea to phone ahead and get us a booth (For the romance... oh and so that we make sure we have a telly with the game on) if anyone is able to do that >.>
I'll try to get the Honeymoon booth.
Sexy!
I've got a permission slip from the boss that Saturday so I'm hoping we're committed and I don't turn up to hang out with myself. She won't let me live that down :cry: . This whole thing has made me realise though that I've left my jersey back in Aus... bugger.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Really dislike tempting fate ........but..........

im in New Zealand till the day after the grand final, didnt want to risk not seeing it on a big screen somewhere so I paid for a VPN to use the NRL stream
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

What time do the Wallabies start? I imagine it would be about 8pm (oz time) so just after our game finishes.

Where ever you watch it have a great time.
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

twistedbydesign wrote:I had a cursory glance the other day and there are currently some as cheap as £625, however with the likes of Air India and other similarly dubious carriers.
If the Air India option is on a Dreamliner like the Sydney-Delhi route, I couldn't recommend it any higher.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

I'll be down there with a mate - do we have a booth booked or should I call up today?
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

twistedbydesign wrote:I'll be down there with a mate - do we have a booth booked or should I call up today?
I don't think we have a booth. If you can reserve one that would be sweet.
Unless steamed hams got us the honeymoon suite...?
Steamed Hams
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Steamed Hams »

Archer wrote:
twistedbydesign wrote:I'll be down there with a mate - do we have a booth booked or should I call up today?
I've booked a table for 8. I asked to be in front of the big screen, or a booth with a tv.. not sure what it's going to be. If there's a table for 'Aidan', feel free to take a seat! I'll be in my video ezy raiders jersey.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Steamed Hams wrote:
Archer wrote:
I've booked a table for 8. I asked to be in front of the big screen, or a booth with a tv.. not sure what it's going to be. If there's a table for 'Aidan', feel free to take a seat! I'll be in my video ezy raiders jersey.
Legend - catch you guys there!
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance

Post by Greedysmurf »

Great stuff. Cheers for making the booking.I'll be rocking a newly acquired Hulk jersey.

So beers at 8 in the morning? :-) Anyone know if Walkabout has a range of actual Aussie beers?