Post by greeneyed »

2016 Rd 26 V Wests Tigers: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers
Leichhardt Oval
Sunday 4 September 2:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox Sports live
Radio: ABC 666, 2CC, Mix106.3

Round 25. Nine in a row. As many wins in a row in a single season that we've seen before for the Canberra Raiders. It was first done in 1989, to win a premiership. The last time was in 1995. It wasn't the most impressive win that we've seen during the streak. In the end, it was eight tries to six, a 44-30 win to the Green Machine. Canberra let in three Sea Eagles tries in the last 11 minutes. The defence will need to be better, a lot better, from here.

More on Round 25: As I saw it

2016 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

The Canberra Raiders go to Leichhardt Oval to meet the Wests Tigers in the final round of the regular season on Sunday. Coach Ricky Stuart has named an unchanged team from last week, with Blake Austin and Junior Paulo still on the sidelines with injury. Chris Lawrence (knee) and Kyle Lovett (illness) return for the Wests Tigers. Chris Lawrence will start in the back row, with two former Raiders dropping back... Joel Edwards to the bench and Michael Chee-Kam to 18th man. Kyle Lovett returns on the bench, with Curtis Sironen dropping out of the squad.

Late changes: It won't surprise if there are late changes for the Raiders, depending on whether they are still a chance at a top two spot.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has won 13 of 31 matches against the Wests Tigers. But the the Raiders won 33 of 57 matches against the Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies before that. That's a total of 46 from 88 matches. The Raiders have won four of the last 10 matches played - but have also won three of the last four. In Round 8 this year at Canberra Stadium, Canberra had their biggest win of the year - a 60-6 victory.

Canberra has won two of four matches played against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt. That includes the huge 30-22 comeback win last year in Round 7. Before that, the Raiders won five of 12 games against the Balmain Tigers at the inner city ground. Canberra has won nine of 21 games against all opposition at the venue. The Raiders should feel no fear of Leichhardt.

2016 Round 8 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

2015 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

2015 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

This week's "History Happens". We're in finals mode... so let's start with Week 2 of the finals in 2010 in front of a huge crowd at Canberra Stadium. It was so close for Canberra... But we won't finish on a loss. It's an oldie, but a goodie... the greatest Grand Final of all time!

2010 Finals Week 2 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

1989 Grand Final Canberra Raiders V Balmain Tigers

Form: The Raiders have now won nine matches in a row, and it's the first time that has happened since the start of the season in 1995, 20 odd years ago. The other times that has happened in a single season were on the march to the 1989 and 1994 premierships. The Wests Tigers are on a WWLLW form line. They lost to the Titans and Panthers before coming from behind in the last 10 minutes to defeat the New Zealand Warriors, 36-24, in Round 25.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.65 favourites in this match; the Wests Tigers are paying $2.25. Money is coming in on the Tigers. The Wests Tigers have just a 3.5 points start.

Our tip: It is third versus ninth on the ladder. The Wests Tigers, one competition point away from the eighth placed Titans, must win if they are to make the finals. But that all depends on the Titans losing to the Cowboys on Saturday night. If the Titans win, the Wests Tigers cannot leap frog them into eighth. They will know what they're playing for by 7.30pm Saturday.

The Raiders will know what they're playing for by 9.30pm Saturday. Canberra cannot finish lower than third. But if the Storm defeat the Sharks on Saturday night, Canberra can take second place and secure a home final next week - provided they win and overcome a six point deficit in points differential. If the Storm win, and the Raiders lose, the Raiders will next meet the Sharks in Sydney. And if the Sharks win... the Raiders will play the Storm in Melbourne in Week 1 of the finals.

There's been a lot of talk about whether Ricky Stuart will rest players in this match. I can't see that happening if second place is on the line. But he may well do so if Canberra can only finish in third. I guess we can only wait and see.

Attack: The Raiders are No. 1 in attack, scoring at over 27 points a match; the Wests Tigers rank 10th in the league, at 21 points per match. Canberra has averaged 36 points a match in the last five appearances, the Wests Tigers 23. The Raiders score an average five tries per match, the Wests Tigers four. It's the same for line breaks. The Raiders rank ninth for running metres, the Wests Tigers 14th (Raiders 1527m, Wests Tigers 1471m). The Wests Tigers average more kicking metres (Raiders 402, Wests Tigers 460m).

The Raiders average 49.5 per cent possession, the Wests Tigers 48.5 per cent. Both teams average nine errors a match. The Raiders are completing at 76 per cent, the Wests Tigers at 78 per cent. Both teams concede an average of seven penalties per match.

Defence: The Raiders concede 19 points on average per match, the Wests Tigers 24. The Raiders' defence has let through quite a few points in the last two weeks, but it is still averaging less than 15 points a match in the last five games. The Wests Tigers have conceded 21 points per match in the last five. The Raiders average 23 missed tackles per match, the Wests Tigers 30.

The stats say the Raiders should win this one. It'd be some achievement, as Canberra has never won 10 in a row in a single season before. The record winning streak of 11 in a row has only happened twice before, over the 1989-90 and 1994-95 seasons. But this is a difficult match to tip, without knowing precisely what is on the line, and whether Ricky Stuart decides to rest players. The Wests Tigers will likely be more desperate, if there's a finals spot up for grabs. Add to that a hostile crowd packed into a tiny suburban ground, and it'll be a very tough game for Canberra. I'll go out on a limb an tip the Raiders by 10.

What they're saying:

Jack Wighton on a Wests Tigers team that may be playing for a top eight spot: "They're going to be on fire and they're going to turn up with their best game so we're going to have to show our best. They're going to be tough competition, so we'll just prepare our best and treat it the same as any other game."

Joe Tapine on playing at Leichhardt: "It's going to be a big crowd this week and the atmosphere is going to be different but we've been getting a lot of supporters from Canberra down to away games and hopefully we do the same this week."

Jordan Rapana: "Whether they're in there or not we know it's going to be a tough game and we've just got to aim up. We're very close to finals so we want to make sure we go in there with as much confidence as we can, and getting a win this week will do that."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joseph Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Sam Williams 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Paul Vaughan 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliot Whitehead 13. Iosia Soliola

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Clay Priest 17. Joseph Tapine

Wests Tigers

1. David Nofoaluma 2. Jordan Rankin 3. Tim Simona 4. Kevin Naiqama 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Mitchell Moses 7. Luke Brooks 8. Aaron Woods 9. Dene Halatau 10. Sauaso Sue 11. Josh Aloiai 12. Chris Lawrence 13. Elijah Taylor

14. Kyle Lovett 15. Ava Seumanufagai 16. Tim Grant 17. Joel Edwards 18. Michael Chee-Kam

Officials:

Referees: Jared Maxwell, Chris James
Sideline Officials: Jeff Younis, Tim Roby
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Luke Patten, Jason Robinson;

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLTigersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2016 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: 2016 Rd 26 V Wests Tigers: Game Day

Post by raiderskater »

GACK PATTEN.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Meh Sutton is the chief official
CRR

Post by CRR »

damn that 2010 game is still so raw.
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

CRR wrote:damn that 2010 game is still so raw.
Yep tell me about it. If campese doesn't go down we win that game and go on to make the GF. Given how much we relied on him and invested in him that injury pretty much put us back another few years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fun fact for the day...The Raiders have handed the three other top 4 teams their biggest loss of the season thus far.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Seiffert82 wrote:Fun fact for the day...The Raiders have handed the three other top 4 teams their biggest loss of the season thus far.
Shhhhhh. We can't win wth our defense!
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Its sold out.

Any body got 2 tickets to sell me?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raider Bell wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Fun fact for the day...The Raiders have handed the three other top 4 teams their biggest loss of the season thus far.
Shhhhhh. We can't win wth our defense!
Sam Williams!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Should probably avoid these sorts of inflammatory comments until after the game.
Just in case.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

plz win, plz no injuries and plz no suspensions
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Here we go....

I think we'll be ok.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Game Day at last and an opportunity to finish 2nd on the ladder if we are good enough today. It would mean a home final against the Sharks if we win. C'mon Raiders, earn this.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Game day, bitches!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

I may have two general admission tickets to the game for sale if anyone interested. Need to get there early as nice sunny day expected and bumper sellout crowd.

TICKETS SOLD TO GREENHOUSE MEMBER

THANKS
Last edited by Jonalanat on September 4, 2016, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day.....Yes......Go the Raiders!!!!!!!!!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

GO THE MIGHTY GREEN MACHINE !!
I don't post facts
DesperateTitan
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Aiden Sezer

Post by DesperateTitan »

Àll of the GC is behind your boys. Good luck today and in the Finals. Lets go Green Machine!!!!
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

DesperateTitan wrote:Àll of the GC is behind your boys. Good luck today and in the Finals. Lets go Green Machine!!!!
Unfortunately our win will have a byproduct .. sorry mate but when you guys signed up Hayne you lost any sympathy I might give.
I don't post facts
DesperateTitan
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Aiden Sezer

Post by DesperateTitan »

Raidersfan wrote:
DesperateTitan wrote:Àll of the GC is behind your boys. Good luck today and in the Finals. Lets go Green Machine!!!!
Unfortunately our win will have a byproduct .. sorry mate but when you guys signed up Hayne you lost any sympathy I might give.
You're not the only one haha
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Got a reeeeeeeeealy good feeling about today.

My little brother has a ticket, so im jealous
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

papabear wrote:Its sold out.

I have two if you're interested in buying them
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Gunning for #2 spot and home to Bruce next week. Forget the Manly "do just enough to win" mentality; today requires a fair dinkum effort from 1-17. Go the Green Machine!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raidersfan wrote:
With you on that one. Titans were a feel good story until Hayne came along.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ferret86
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Was Fensom, now Bateman in the new era

Post by Ferret86 »

This really is unknown territory for us! I'm so excited about this game but it's really not an easy assignment. I'm wiping round eight from my memory - with a big crowd at Leichardt this one is going to be close!

Sadly either way I'm not going to get to the game next week as I've got my sisters wedding. Who has a wedding in September? Seriously!
Founder of http://www.nrlceo.com and run the fantasy rugby league game on http://www.thebench.com.au
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Can we get a weather report for Sydney? Do I need to rug up or will it be balmy in the sunshine?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

It's looking good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Jonalanat wrote:

I am!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Need 2 tickets please or just one
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Game day and the chance of a home final! I'm so excited. Come on boys, kick some backside!

Will be watching while preparing for a skating comp...hoping that a) the boys win and b) some of that winning feeling rubs off on me!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Don't know about you lot, but we are ready to roll!!

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Pickles ,looking out my bedroom window it's looking sunny with no wind like yesterday but a light breeze

I'm thinking shorts , jersey and a jumper just in case

Don't forget the 50+ , it is spring now !
Vaccinated
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

That's great CR
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Ferret86 wrote:This really is unknown territory for us! I'm so excited about this game but it's really not an easy assignment. I'm wiping round eight from my memory - with a big crowd at Leichardt this one is going to be close!

Sadly either way I'm not going to get to the game next week as I've got my sisters wedding. Who has a wedding in September? Seriously!
My SIL has a wedding to go to as well ... wonder if it's the same
I don't post facts
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

Butters wrote:
Jonalanat wrote:

I am!