Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Home finals

Post by Woodgers »

bonehead wrote:
Woodgers wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Woodgers wrote:I think the rules are fair enough. I hope to hell that if we get to that scenario that it is Allianz over ANZ.
Why? Allianz is a pain in the reptar to get to, no parking etc.
Homebush has great access, hotel precinct, parking in p1 right there awesome facility
You been to many games in both? Atmospheres aren't even comparable. Most people who have been to both will take Allianz every day I reckon.
Yeah probably 10 each, sfs is a good ground but homebush with a crowd is a great atmosphere too - sfs is just a pain for everything
I have the SFS up there with my favourite ground and i've been to most now. I think it is the way the noise gets trapped in. One thing i'll never forget is a semi-final in 1995 when Canterbury beat us, Terry Lamb backed up to score and the concrete beneath my feet rumbled it was so noisy. I've had a lot of fun times at the SFS and with the Captain Cook so close, I just enjoy getting in early and soaking it up there which means you get less dramas with the traffic and all that. I definitely enjoy it more than the Homebush brewery.

I've been to GF's at ANZ where it's been no better than a Raiders home game. Then again I was there when the Socceroos beat Uruguay in 2005 which i'd say is the most frantic and noisy that the stadium has ever been. It'll never get near that for a Raiders game though, not even 1/10th.

The SFS is just my preference.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

I don't really have a problem with this. Unless we **** the bed massively and drop to 7th/8th the only way we don't get a Canberra final is by finishing top 4, winning first up and getting the bye. If we manage that I will be absolutely stoked and I won't give a damn where we play. More likely that we'd play an interstate team than a Sydney one in that scenario anyway, and as others have said the Raiders would put on a bunch of buses and we'll get a massive turnout.

Sure a real home prelim would be nice but Knights, Titans are in a similar boat and a couple of Sydney teams can't have a real home final even in week 1 or 2. It's a bonus for the Cowboys given their modest stadium but the amount of travel they have to do throughout the season evens things out.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I'm sure someone would run some busses.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Home finals

Post by CJ42 »

Edit
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

I watchrd roosters rabbits in rnd 26 year before last and the atmosphere there was electric. The whole stadium shook when the crowd moved i was 5 rows back and it was absolutely magic
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

bonehead wrote:
Woodgers wrote:I think the rules are fair enough. I hope to hell that if we get to that scenario that it is Allianz over ANZ.
Homebush has great access, hotel precinct, parking in p1 right there awesome facility
I'm with boney. Allianz is a pain in the Reptar. A number of occasions I've been stuck in traffic for hours and hours, and public transport is poor.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I like Allianz so I don't know why the pain of it for some people had anything to do with me. When I lived in Sydney I could walk to it.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

DarkRaider wrote:I don't really have a problem with this. Unless we **** the bed massively and drop to 7th/8th the only way we don't get a Canberra final is by finishing top 4, winning first up and getting the bye. If we manage that I will be absolutely stoked and I won't give a damn where we play. More likely that we'd play an interstate team than a Sydney one in that scenario anyway, and as others have said the Raiders would put on a bunch of buses and we'll get a massive turnout.

Sure a real home prelim would be nice but Knights, Titans are in a similar boat and a couple of Sydney teams can't have a real home final even in week 1 or 2. It's a bonus for the Cowboys given their modest stadium but the amount of travel they have to do throughout the season evens things out.
Don't be coming in here with your reason and common sense!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote:
bonehead wrote:
You been to many games in both? Atmospheres aren't even comparable. Most people who have been to both will take Allianz every day I reckon.
Yeah, I'm firmly in this camp too. SFS **** all over Homebush, which is one of the worst grounds to watch rugby league at!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Who drives or catches public transport to the SFS anyway? There are fantastic pub crawls in every direction for pre and post game drinks! It's part of the fun!

If Sydney were serious there would be a train station under it but we know that they aren't. They're all about more roads!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Woodgers wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Yeah, I'm firmly in this camp too. SFS **** all over Homebush, which is one of the worst grounds to watch rugby league at!
That settles it, woodgers is wrong Image
Edrick The Entertainer
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

pickles wrote:Who drives or catches public transport to the SFS anyway? There are fantastic pub crawls in every direction for pre and post game drinks! It's part of the fun!

If Sydney were serious there would be a train station under it but we know that they aren't. They're all about more roads!
get off the train at central and Pub Crawl up Foveaux st! end up at the captain cook for a last minute drink before heading in.

the SFS is much better then ANZ.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

beetlejuice wrote:
pickles wrote:Who drives or catches public transport to the SFS anyway? There are fantastic pub crawls in every direction for pre and post game drinks! It's part of the fun!

get off the train at central and Pub Crawl up Foveaux st! end up at the captain cook for a last minute drink before heading in.

the SFS is much better then ANZ.
Pub crawled to sfs from the star once. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Finals system

Post by VictorTheViking »

Reading an article earlier that stated we would have to play a "home preliminary" at allianz in Sydney, is this true? Seems a bit ridiculous to me

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Re: Finals system

Post by The Nickman »

It's true
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Except if we play a qld team
Then the home region is played at Lang park
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

So we could wind up playing brisbane in brisbane in a "home preliminary"?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Potentially. Or if it suits the opposition more we may wind up playing Melbourne in Melbourne or nth Queensland @ Dairy Farmers
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

That is a **** up system
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hahah. I'm just yanking your chain

Our home region is Sydney
So week 1 and 2 we can play in Canberra, if we earn a home prelim final, it'll be in Sydney regardless of the opponent
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's still a pretty big disadvantage compared to every other club in the 8. I dont understand the reasoning behind it when Dairy Farmers is allowed.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

1300 kms to Brisbane might have something to do with it
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Knights would have to play in Sydney as well even though they have a bigger stadium than the cows, storm or warriors.

You'd think there'd be a big turn out for a game in Sydney from raiders fans in a prelim but it could be a disadvantage if playing a Sydney team.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Finals system

Post by gangrenous »

Based on the finals in 2012 I reckon we'd have a fairly large and noisy fan section at a Sydney final.

Even though we lost comfortably to the Bunnies in 2012, the atmosphere in the Raiders fan section was still really great!
Last edited by gangrenous on August 7, 2016, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

And looking at the current top 8 there's only two Sydney teams anyway, so good chance we'll be playing someone from interstate
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Top 4 finish is so important. Win and you're straight into a prelim, lose and you get a home semi. At the moment I would back the raiders to beat any bottom half of the 8 team in a home semi.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

gangrenous wrote:Based on the finals in 2012 I reckon we'd have a fairly large and noisy fan section at a Sydney final.

Even tough we lost comfortably to the Bunnies in 2012, the atmosphere in the Raiders fan section was still really great!
That was so good. Even after the game we were louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This is probably a Ch9 decision.

They run the game. Having a prelim final in Canberra doesn't sit well with Rabbits.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CJ42 wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Based on the finals in 2012 I reckon we'd have a fairly large and noisy fan section at a Sydney final.

Even tough we lost comfortably to the Bunnies in 2012, the atmosphere in the Raiders fan section was still really great!
That was so good. Even after the game we were louder.
I hate it when I see I have a typo that gets quoted. Yep, no fixing that Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VictorTheViking wrote:So we could wind up playing brisbane in brisbane in a "home preliminary"?
No, a Raiders "home" preliminary final would be at Homebush or the SFS, most likely the SFS.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Could hardly call that a home preliminary final then could you

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VictorTheViking wrote:Could hardly call that a home preliminary final then could you
No.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I assume this thread will be posted weekly for the rest of the season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote:I assume this thread will be posted weekly for the rest of the season.
Over at the Sharks forum too. What a hole of a ground that is.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I do feel for the Sharks supporters in the shire though. The 40 minutes and 20 years they'd have to travel forward in time to make it to the SFS would be a little frustrating!