Raiders say Shaun Fensom still in their plans

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders say Shaun Fensom still in their plans

Post by greeneyed »

Could Canberra Raiders Shaun Fensom be heading to the Dragons?

He’s not off contract until 2017 but struggling to retain his place in the Canberra side in recent weeks, rumours have been rife that lick Shaun Fensom could be on the move.

The 27-year-old has plenty of footy left in him.

Regarded as one of the most consistent players going around, if the Dragons can’t afford to keep Joel Thompson next year, could Fensom be a cheaper option?

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... a9b423e6db
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2016

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Could Canberra Raiders Shaun Fensom be heading to the Dragons?

He’s not off contract until 2017 but struggling to retain his place in the Canberra side in recent weeks, rumours have been rife that lick Shaun Fensom could be on the move.

Regarded as one of the most consistent players going around, if the Dragons can’t afford to keep Joel Thompson next year, could Fensom be a cheaper option?

Why would they not be able to afford Joel Thompson?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bullraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Bullraider »

reptar wrote:

Yeh that is a strange comment.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Because they are trying to buy Corey Norman. So they'll have 2 5/8's. Signing with the Dragons is up there with signing for the Knights or Eels - Career killers!

He'd be better off taking a pay cut and signing with the Storm. Bellamy would turn him in to the best lock in the comp.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Peter wrote:Because they are trying to buy Corey Norman. So they'll have 2 5/8's. Signing with the Dragons is up there with signing for the Knights or Eels - Career killers!

He'd be better off taking a pay cut and signing with the Storm. Bellamy would turn him in to the best lock in the comp.
I wouldn't expect Thompson would not get a pay cut where ever he went, though.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Thommo was supposed to be on something like 500k at the Dragons. He isn't great value at that price.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Someone will sign him to big money
The Knights loom
Floydd
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Floydd »

Bullraider wrote:
reptar wrote:

Yeh that is a strange comment.
Agreed it is strange, maybe Thompson has a bigger offer elsewhere and the Dragons can't match it? Fensoms value has maybe dropped because he is struggling to make first grade?
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I could see fensom at the knights with smith retiring

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Newcastle should tell Fensom to write his own paycheque ... then double it, just to make sure.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Re: Could Shaun Fensom be heading to the Dragons?

Post by Green_Hammock »

I think this article is bs speculation. I don't see how the Dragons could not afford to extend Thompson with the roster that they have.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Green_Hammock wrote:I think this article is bs speculation. I don't see how the Dragons could not afford to extend Thompson with the roster that they have.
With Tariq Sims and Frizell there, and Thompson's numerous injuries and suspensions, I think they'd be much better off with Fensom over Thompson. Actually even if they don't sign Feno there's no way I'd be offering Thompson decent coin given what he has produced. I'd be moving up Jacob Host.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Raiders player moving to Dragons is about he laziest, mid-week article a rugby league writer can produce.
Leipana Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Leipana Magic »

I would like to think fensom would take a pay cut to stay and be apart of what we are building here. Not sure who would want to leave the club at the moment. Would love to keep him, you can't ask for better depth than players like fensom.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Leipana Magic wrote:I would like to think fensom would take a pay cut to stay and be apart of what we are building here. Not sure who would want to leave the club at the moment. Would love to keep him, you can't ask for better depth than players like fensom.
He doesn't need to take a pay cut. He is contracted until next year. At which time the club and Fensom will have a decision to make but ATM I honestly can't see this story being anything more than lazy rumour mongering.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:Newcastle should tell Fensom to write his own paycheque ... then double it, just to make sure.

Absolutely
Fensom is the type of player teams like the Knights need
He can help them be competent. He can churn out effort and shame others to do the same
He's a good player in a bad team. It makes too much sense not to happen IMO
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

Pigman wrote:
T_R wrote:Newcastle should tell Fensom to write his own paycheque ... then double it, just to make sure.

Absolutely
Fensom is the type of player teams like the Knights need
He can help them be competent. He can churn out effort and shame others to do the same
He's a good player in a bad team. It makes too much sense not to happen IMO
That comment can be applied to every bog average player, but as soon as that team recruits good players the bog average are exposed and let go.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's probably true, IronTroll but the point is Fensom has a role to play in the NRL. And it's helping build a very bad team into a competent one
That's useless for us, but it's pretty important when you're as low as we were when he came on board and where the Knights are right now
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've spoken to Shaun and he said not on your nelly.

"youll never see me wear that putrid StMerge jersey ever"

His words.

I believe Shaun.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Haha, love it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote:I've spoken to Shaun and he said not on your nelly.

His words.

I believe Shaun.
:thumbsup
I do love this bloke.

Don't suppose you asked if another jersey was more to his liking? Or at worst, on the cards?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote:

His words.

I believe Shaun.
I do love this bloke.

Don't suppose you asked if another jersey was more to his liking? Or at worst, on the cards?
He gave no hints but said the day someone spots him wearing red and white they have his permission to mount the gutter and mow him down.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote:
Matt wrote:

His words.

I believe Shaun.
I do love this bloke.

He gave no hints but said the day someone spots him wearing red and white they have his permission to mount the gutter and mow him down.
GOLD!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

You could almost see fenno as capt coach of mounties but he deserves a decent payday based on what he brings at nrl level.
Joel Thommo is an interesting one, never really made that transition from centre to backrow sort of got stuck somewhere 75% if he got another couple of kilos and fixed his tackling technique he could be a star - probably fade out as a shouldabeen
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha PJ must be one well connected dude. Any time a player is mentioned he just phones them up! What a guy
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

bonehead wrote:You could almost see fenno as capt coach of mounties but he deserves a decent payday based on what he brings at nrl level.
Joel Thommo is an interesting one, never really made that transition from centre to backrow sort of got stuck somewhere 75% if he got another couple of kilos and fixed his tackling technique he could be a star - probably fade out as a shouldabeen
Yeah he's always been that average centre/average second rower with some real aggro. Can be quiet as a mouse or have a good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

CJ42 wrote:
bonehead wrote:You could almost see fenno as capt coach of mounties but he deserves a decent payday based on what he brings at nrl level.
Yeah he's always been that average centre/average second rower with some real aggro. Can be quiet as a mouse or have a good game.

He's got the ability i think its just he hasn't had the 100% commitment to the backrow
Edrick The Entertainer
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

bonehead wrote:
CJ42 wrote:

He's got the ability i think its just he hasn't had the 100% commitment to the backrow
Like you said he's stuck in between, he has pace, mongrel and ability just never shown it consistently.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think part of his problem is just stringing games together. If he could string 10 games together you'd see his form go up and some good solid footy but between suspensions and injuries he's always stuck in that rebuilding phase.
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

Just a gap filler story....
Like Benji is resigning or what is the Hayne Plane doing this week...

Personally I like the efforts Fensom has put in the last couple. Less minutes but high work rate and good impact in defence and attack.
Bateman still got some work to do to overtake Fensom, defensively not there yet. Loose around the middle. Effort plays lacking a bit.
Plus to be honest Bateman has to show consistency, even when we loose a few in a row. Fenno not going anywhere, certainly not without a replacement.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote:
I think part of his problem is just stringing games together. If he could string 10 games together you'd see his form go up and some good solid footy but between suspensions and injuries he's always stuck in that rebuilding phase.
He was one of the few players, along with Fenno, who were still putting in when the rest of the team was tanking to get rid of Furner. I'll always give him credit for that. Showed real character.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Kermit wrote:This was reported a week ago..... :lol: :lol:

http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... start=2310
Or speculated on back in May: http://www.thegreenhouseact.com.au/foru ... 489c52dd1d

When it was said to be a "completely made up" thread...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

I mean I'd take a premiership sans fenno, but jeez it'd feel empty
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

Pigman wrote:That's probably true, IronTroll but the point is Fensom has a role to play in the NRL. And it's helping build a very bad team into a competent one
That's useless for us, but it's pretty important when you're as low as we were when he came on board and where the Knights are right now
Oh so it was Fensom and not Ricky's recruitment that built the Raiders to what they are today, gotcha.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.