2016 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs?

Raiders 13+
8%
Raiders 1-12
42%
Draw
8%
Bulldogs 1-12
17%
Bulldogs 13+
25%

Total votes: 12

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs
Belmore Sports Ground
Monday 4 April, 7:00pm Holden Cup: 4:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox Sports live
Radio: ABC, 2CC

It was a frustrating 24-20 loss for the Canberra Raiders to the Gold Coast Titans in Round 4. Two reasons. First, the Raiders led 20-6 and managed to find a way to lose in the last 15 minutes, through a series of silly errors, sillier penalties and poor defence. Secondly, the Titans' winning "try", scored with two minutes to go, was not grounded. The referee, touch judge and bunker "processes" produced the wrong decision with two minutes remaining. But it's the first loss of the season, and things could be worse, given the Raiders have been without their first choice halves.

More on Round 4: As I saw it

2016 Round 4: Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Unfortunately for Canberra, it gets a whole lot harder in Round 5 - against the Canterbury Bulldogs at Belmore in Monday Night Football. The game has only limited tickets still available, so the old suburban ground will be a heaving sea of blue and white. But the good, surprise news for the Canberra Raiders is that injured first choice halves Blake Austin and Aidan Sezer have been named for their return. Strike centre Joey Leilua also returns from suspension. This means Sam Williams and Brenko Lee drop back to Mounties. Elliott Whitehead moves back to the second row. Jeff Lima broke his hand in Round 4, and will be on the sidelines for six to eight weeks. Luke Bateman has been named as 18th man, reward for good performance in the NSW Premiership.

The Bulldogs have named the same team as last weekend, apart from Lloyd Perrett being added as 18th man.

Late changes: With Luke Bateman named as 18th man for the Raiders, is there a forward - who might have virtually cost the match in Round 4 - on notice? Time will tell. For the Bulldogs, hooker Michael Lichaa will be a late inclusion for Craig Garvey.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has won just 26 of 64 matches against Canterbury - and have lost more matches to the Bulldogs than any other team. The Raiders have won just three of the last 10 matches between the clubs. In 2015, the Raiders lost 41-34 to an under-strength Canterbury team. The Raiders trailed 26-0 after less than 20 minutes, before drawing level, 34-34, with five minutes to go. The Dogs then scored a field goal, and a try, in the last minute of play - to take the game by seven. The Raiders have won just once in 12 games against the Dogs at Belmore - Round 18 1990, by 28-20. The teams have not played at the ground since 1998.

2015 Round 11 Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

And, here's this week's history for you... what's better than the 1994 Grand Final? Not much! Sure took away any pain from the one point loss in the epic major semi final against the same team two weeks before.

1994 Grand Final Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

1994 Major semi final Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

Form: The Raiders are on an official WWWDL form line in their last five appearances, while the Bulldogs have an official LWWLW record. The Bulldogs smashed the South Sydney Rabbitohs in their last match, on Good Friday, 44-12.

Betting: The Bulldogs are $1.43 favourites in the match; the Raiders are paying $2.93. The Raiders have 7.5 points start.

Our tip: The Raiders' biggest problem in 2015 was defence. It's still the biggest problem. Canberra is sixth on the competition ladder but has the fifth worst defence. The Raiders are top four in attack. The Bulldogs are similarly placed in attack - but have conceded just 10 points per match in 2016. The Raiders have conceded over 22 points per match. The way Canberra conceded easy metres against the Titans is also a real worry. They can't do that against the Dogs. There is one interesting thing in the defensive stats: Canberra has missed 86 tackles, second best behind the Eels. It's not being reflected in the points conceded, however, and saving tries when it really counts is the bigger issue.

The Raiders and Bulldogs have some very similar stats in attack - tries scored, line breaks, try assists. But Canberra's metres gained (15th), kick metres (13th), error rate (equal third), and possession share (15th at 48 per cent), are where the Raiders are making it hard for themselves. The Bulldogs are well ahead on each of those counts.

The Raiders have now had some very tough matches to start the season. Two in the heat in the first two rounds - and one which went to golden point. I think the second half fade outs have partly been because that's taken its toll, physically and mentally. But it's also because the Raiders have not had two halves to manage the tight spots in games.

It's going to be very hard for Canberra to win at Belmore - and while the return of Austin and Sezer is a huge plus, I can't see the Raiders getting up here. Bulldogs by 6. Hopefully the Green Machine proves me wrong!

What they're saying:

Paul Vaughan: We were pretty passive on the try line. It's going to be a hard training week this week. We're going to get that 'D' right, get a little bit of whack in us ... the first point of contact, it's got to be strong. Just being aggressive and wanting to hurt someone, that's the biggest thing."

Jordan Rapana on that Frank Paul Nuuausala brain snap: "As soon as we walked off the field when the final whistle blew he knew it probably wasn't the right thing to do, and it cost us in the end. But he'll bounce back from that and I don't want to focus on the negatives, we'll put that in the past and do better next week."

Injured Jeff Lima: "I was looking forward to that game, to really test our forward pack and see where we're at. They're the benchmark at the moment, the Bulldogs, they've got a lot of big boys in their team. It's not meant to be, but whoever comes in will do the job."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joseph Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Blake Austin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Shannon Boyd 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Frank Paul Nuuausala 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliot Whitehead 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Iosia Soliola 16. Paul Vaughan 17. Joseph Tapine 18. Luke Bateman

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. William Hopoate 2. Curtis Rona 3. Josh Morris 4. Chase Stanley 5. Sam Perrett 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Moses Mbye 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Craig Garvey 10. James Graham 11. Josh Jackson 12. Tony Williams 13. Greg Eastwood

14. Sam Kasiano 15. Tim Browne 16. David Klemmer 17. Adam Elliot 19. Lloyd Perrett

Officials:

Referees: Ashley Klein, Adam Gee;Sideline Officials: Jason Walsh, Tim Roby;Video Referees: Luke Patten, Bernard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLBulldogsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2016 #FromAllAngles

Junior representatives teams and discussion: Click here
Holden Cup teams and discussion: Click here
NSW Premiership teams and discussion: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2016 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by El_Capitano »

Our edge defence was pretty good against the Titans if we can sure yo the middle maybe increase our line speed a bit or just come up a bit further we could get these bastards
How soon IS now?
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

So turns out I just bought a ticket. See you at the game chummers
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Go the raiders....... Seems like we're playing after the bye!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bulldogs.com shows a brief Hodgson analysis if anyone's interested.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

Whos going so far I know me simo mrs simo and a **** of bulldogs fans are going
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hbomb wrote:Whos going so far I know me simo mrs simo and a **** of bulldogs fans are going
And cat... but she won't come and say hello
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

The Nickman wrote:
Hbomb wrote:Whos going so far I know me simo mrs simo and a **** of bulldogs fans are going
:lol: ill just keep spinning around looking for a lady wearing a raiders jersey offering coke zero and desserts
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

It's finally Game Day
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Game day, 1992, you merkin!
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

I sense a bit of an upset.

Sezer could just about kick these big Dogs to death.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hbomb wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
:lol: ill just keep spinning around looking for a lady wearing a raiders jersey offering coke zero and desserts
Glad you said zero then.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I'm not at work yet, already looking forward to going home too much.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Just posted in the preview thread, but I'll put it here as well.

Good chance of rain tonight (raining here now). Pack some wet weather gear!
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

DJ89 wrote:I sense a bit of an upset.

That will make Mitch Pearce's indiscretion all but irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

So is there anything to sammy Williams being with the boys? Just a precaution for warm up etc I would assume..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

CJ42 wrote:So is there anything to sammy Williams being with the boys? Just a precaution for warm up etc I would assume..
I wouldnt think so
He played a game already, they'll take him just in case Sezer or more likely Austin have a mishap in the pre game warm up
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

EJ wrote:Game day, 1992, you merkin!

Will deal with you when I am done with this hang over.

Good burn though.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Win or lose, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Austin gets through the game with no further injury to this knee.
It was raining over night, and forecasted to be wet today.. Might be trouble for people with big side steps
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

Anyone here been to Belmore before? Bit wet in Sydney today, think it could be painful on the hill tonight lol.

Also heard parking is a ****.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

Hill will be saturated I am regretting buying tickets now tbh! Better get a win to make it worthwhile
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote:
DJ89 wrote:I sense a bit of an upset.

That will make Mitch Pearce's indiscretion all but irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sydney Raider wrote:Anyone here been to Belmore before? Bit wet in Sydney today, think it could be painful on the hill tonight lol.

Also heard parking is a ****.
Back in the early 90s I was there, hope the parking has improved.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Im already home, followed the green machine for 20 years now, they frustrate me and excite me, but truly love how Ricky has put pride and honour back into this club, make no mistake this isnt the finished product.

Kinda like a marriage in some ways?

Maybe the forum can list the similarities and differences to waste some time?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

The Nickman wrote:
Hbomb wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Glad you said zero then.
IF I see you hbomb I will say gday I promise!

If you see me say hi too

I will be in a grey and white stripped maxi skirt and the nines jeresy

Sitting in the grand stand among bulldog members arghhh
Vaccinated
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

cat wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Hbomb wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Glad you said zero then.
IF I see you hbomb I will say gday I promise!

If you see me say hi too

I will be in a grey and white stripped maxi skirt and the nines jeresy

Sitting in the grand stand among bulldog members arghhh
Sorry cat Im gunna be on the hill, I wont be wearing my skirt, its not a fan of wet weather. But if you see me yell at me
Ezydayz
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Ezydayz »

Hey peeps. First time on here. Heading up to belmore now with my brother. Anyone have tips for parking,
CRR

Post by CRR »

I can't wait to see how the video ref and on field refs are gonna screw us over this game
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Ezydayz wrote:Hey peeps. First time on here. Heading up to belmore now with my brother. Anyone have tips for parking,

Ive been past there for work, is it feasible to park in nearby mall and walk or taxi to the game?

Its less than 5klms in distance
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Johno wrote:
Ezydayz wrote:Hey peeps. First time on here. Heading up to belmore now with my brother. Anyone have tips for parking,

Ive been past there for work, is it feasible to park in nearby mall and walk or taxi to the game?

Its less than 5klms in distance
Just checked, Roselands closes at 5.30, which surprised me, thought it would be 10pm
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

Mate best bet is to just drive down burwood road, turn just before thetrain station if you are driving away from belmore then drive around the leagues club there and grab a park on the street. If u have to go up a couple steeets its residential and not far walk.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I'm in Auburn right now and the sun's out.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

EJ wrote:I'm in Auburn right now and the sun's out.
Rockhampton is the same... hope that helps.
Ezydayz
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Ezydayz »

Cheers for the info guys.
CRR

Post by CRR »

The Nickman wrote:
EJ wrote:I'm in Auburn right now and the sun's out.
Rockhampton is the same... hope that helps.

Yeah same here in Brisbane, sunny and hot which means bel more should be dry AF