2016 Rd 4 V Titans: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans?

Raiders 13+
20%
Raiders 1-12
40%
Draw
7%
Titans 1-12
33%
Titans 13+
No votes

Total votes: 15

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2016 Rd 4 V Titans: Game Day

Post by gerg »

Lui_Bon wrote:When does Dean Pay start getting some scrutiny?

Absolutely. Our defence is still our glaring weakness. Leaking 20 + ppg is disgraceful, regardless of the injuries and we aren't going to win anything that matters.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

IronRaiden wrote:
Pigman wrote:From the coach. He knows we cant score points missing Austin and Sezer, so he asks the team to defend leads, which we're incapable of doing.

With Austin or Sezer i think given the chances we had against the Knights and Titans, we probably have 30+ points in each game instead of 20 and 24.
We're going to get belted next week against the dogs. So we'll be 2-2-1 and then hopefully we have BOTH back on board in round 6 against the Eels
One would think our captain would be aware of this glaring fact, but apparently not because every time there's a chance for Croker to go for goal, he'll go for it. Taking that 2 when we're ahead by 12 when he knows we cannot defend a lead was THE stupidest decision. One more try would have broken them but our captain is too dumb to realise that even though he's on the field.

We look like a dumb football team.

The Raiders lost.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand....

IronRaiden.

In this case, it's not even a good try. Of course moving to a 14 point lead is the smart thing to do.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
timofy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Hodgson, Tapine, Crokes

Post by timofy »

Pigman wrote:
Secondly you don't really think the captain is making these calls rogue do you? That would be embarrassing.
The fact we ALWAYS take the 2 suggests to me this is a very deliberate decision that is almost certainly on coaches orders
Yeah Ricky spends every (home) game on the sideline and he seems to make the call. Saw it against Penrith, his hand went straight up with 2 fingers so would be less than surprised if he made the call on the weekend.

That said, I agreed with the call on the weekend. Our defense and ill-discipline lost us that game.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Dr Zaius wrote:
DJ89 wrote:Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but does anyone think Rapana could have caught the ball in goal the set before the Titans scored? Would have been a 20 m restart.
He definitely could have and if he did we would likely have won. Do I blame him? Not at all. Like pig said he had no way of knowing what was coming at him and played it safe.
I don't blame Rapana either. He played exceptionally well.

In real time I thought he needed to just knock the ball dead, but to think if communication was a little better we could have wrapped the game up is a little frustrating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yep, in that circumstance it's really up to the other players to let Rapana know he's got time to catch it. A little inexperience from Brenko on that one
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Gerg wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:When does Dean Pay start getting some scrutiny?

Absolutely. Our defence is still our glaring weakness. Leaking 20 + ppg is disgraceful, regardless of the injuries and we aren't going to win anything that matters.
Not only that, its the softness of a lot of the tries that's a bother. That points to me to laziness among the players. You can see that in other things too, like how bad they are at handling grubbers to the in-goal and also how slow to get to dropped balls on the ground.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The Stuart haters are really loving the loss this week, imagine if we get two in a row.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I seem to remember seeing the trainer sticking up two fingers.

EDIT: That may have been the Mounties game
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

IronRaiden wrote:
Pigman wrote:From the coach. He knows we cant score points missing Austin and Sezer, so he asks the team to defend leads, which we're incapable of doing.

With Austin or Sezer i think given the chances we had against the Knights and Titans, we probably have 30+ points in each game instead of 20 and 24.
We're going to get belted next week against the dogs. So we'll be 2-2-1 and then hopefully we have BOTH back on board in round 6 against the Eels
One would think our captain would be aware of this glaring fact, but apparently not because every time there's a chance for Croker to go for goal, he'll go for it. Taking that 2 when we're ahead by 12 when he knows we cannot defend a lead was THE stupidest decision. One more try would have broken them but our captain is too dumb to realise that even though he's on the field.

You don't really believe Croker makes the call for penalty do you? :lol:
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

DJ89 wrote:Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but does anyone think Rapana could have caught the ball in goal the set before the Titans scored? Would have been a 20 m restart.
This was probably one of the biggest stuff ups in the game. He should have definitely caught it, it was a rubbish kick but at that stage the entire team seemed to be in a complete panic, hence the dumb decision to knock it dead when the opposing winger was no where in sight.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Riaan wrote:
This was probably one of the biggest stuff ups in the game. He should have definitely caught it, it was a rubbish kick but at that stage the entire team seemed to be in a complete panic, hence the dumb decision to knock it dead when the opposing winger was no where in sight.
The second biggest stuff up was Lima's hit on Bird on the 4th tackle, the ensuing set led to Shillo's try.

That's 3 idiotic instances in the first 4 rounds, initially I was against sitting out BJ this week however I'm not against now.
WorkChoice
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

This Rapana talk is not helping...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-GD- wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:

ANYONE at thd ground will tell you Ricky made the call from the bench. He was waving 2 fingers in the air like he just dont care.
If you think taking the 2 and pushing tge lead to 14 is the reason we lost, you are kidding yourself. It was a combo of Shillos ridiculously easy try and FPN stupidity in the last 15-20 mins that did it
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Every coach and every captain in the NRL would have taken the 14 point lead...or the 8 point lead, or the 20 point lead for that matter.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
-GD- wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:

ANYONE at thd ground will tell you Ricky made the call from the bench. He was waving 2 fingers in the air like he just dont care.
If you think taking the 2 and pushing tge lead to 14 is the reason we lost, you are kidding yourself. It was a combo of Shillos ridiculously easy try and FPN stupidity in the last 15-20 mins that did it
Or the fact we absolutely had no intent after that penalty goal, same as last week
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Don't know about having no intent, but our execution was appalling. No real plan attacking their line (when was the last time we bombed for Edrick Lee for a start) and our composure coming out of our half was disgraceful.

I don't think the boys gave up or threw in the towel, but they just abandoned the basics.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

All we really had to do that game was not drop so much ball and we win. As soon as they started to get on top we started dropping ball and it gave them the repeated sets of 6.
Whitehead and Papalii both did it when we finally got some ball.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2016 Rd 4 V Titans: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:All we really had to do that game was not drop so much ball and we win. As soon as they started to get on top we started dropping ball and it gave them the repeated sets of 6.
Yep, this sums up my thoughts exactly.

Also, the Titans were VERY good at controlling the football in the second half. All they did was complete their sets, wait for us to shoot ourselves in the foot repeatedly and then finish over the top of us with some very soft tries.

If we'd just controlled the football in that last fifteen minutes we win that game, and we win it easily, even after the David Shillington debarkle.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Just think, after tonight's game, had we played even the last 2 minutes of the Titans game with even an ounce of intelligence, we'd be top of the table instead of middle of the pack. That is going to bite us on the **** later in the season as we try to scrape into the finals instead of being comfortably in.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:Don't know about having no intent, but our execution was appalling. No real plan attacking their line (when was the last time we bombed for Edrick Lee for a start) and our composure coming out of our half was disgraceful.

I don't think the boys gave up or threw in the towel, but they just abandoned the basics.
Not so much they gave up, I've seen them do that enough times but just seemed to go flat after that

The line speed dropped off and they ran through us like a cheap curry, bar Vaughan and Boyd when they came back on everyone got dominated.

It's the same stuff we saw last year
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

The most disappointing thing about the game was that the first 3 tries that Titans scored were all soft.
So much for having a fortress if our defensive line is pretty much a turnstile
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

Pigman wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:

Firstly going up 14 with under 20 to go is always an easy decision
Secondly you don't really think the captain is making these calls rogue do you? That would be embarrassing.
The fact we ALWAYS take the 2 suggests to me this is a very deliberate decision that is almost certainly on coaches orders
When you can defend yes it is, but when you can't defend it's smarter to go for more points. And the fact the decision to go for 2 two weeks in a row has cost us says we have a dumb captain and a dumb coach.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

Matt wrote:
-GD- wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:

Taking the 2 switched the team off which lead to the soft tries. The score was irrelevant as we have capitulated two weeks in a row due to our captain/coach taking the 2 and effectively telling the team, "we've done enough to win". If the captain and coach haven't worked this out yet then maybe we want some smarter people making these decisions.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gallery: Around the Grounds Round Four: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2016/03/ ... the_g.html
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

R. James found not guilty of twisting Rapana's leg.. Guess they're accusing Rapana of 'a dive'
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

zim wrote:All we really had to do that game was not drop so much ball and we win. As soon as they started to get on top we started dropping ball and it gave them the repeated sets of 6.
Elliott Whiteheads three second half errors sure didn't help, but in Papa's case the ball was definitely knocked out by a Titans player which the Refs didn't see but the camera's did.

But for me it's all about the Defence or lack of. 16 missed tackles in the 2nd half, 4 by Sia. 4 missed tackles in one half of footy from such a fine player suggests an injury to me. Brenko also missed 3 in the 2nd half and Rapana 2. The Titans went after our right side D and it was found wanting. The Titans, as Nickman said, controlled the footy completing 18 of 19 second half sets. (Source: NRL stats). If the 'stand still' Raiders defensive line is employed against the Dogs they will have a field day against us - first choice halves back or not.