2016 Rd 3 V Knights: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights?

Raiders 13+
50%
Raiders 1-12
17%
Draw
28%
Knights 1-12
No votes
Knights 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Hunter Stadium
Saturday 19 March, 5:00pm Gates open: 12:30pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox Sports live
Radio: ABC, 2CC

The Raiders produced a gutsy, astonishing, against all odds home win over the Roosters in Round 2. Both first choice halves were sitting on the sidelines. For the second week in a row, the Raiders were playing in plus 30 degree heat. Through the match it was clear the players were exhausted. Workhorse Shaun Fensom suffered concussion in the first set of the match and played no further part in the match. Rookie half Lachlan Croker suffered a shoulder injury and left the field in the first half.

With around 15 minutes remaining, the Raiders trailing by six, Joey Leilua was sent to the bin for striking - a retaliatory clip after Dylan Napa copped him flush around the head in a tackle. How the Raiders pulled off a one point, 21-20, victory will remain long in the memory of those who saw it. It was a game the Raiders would have lost last year. They just didn't let it happen.

More on Round 2: As I saw it

2016 Round 2: Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

In Round 3 the Raiders have their first road trip of the season, to meet the Newcastle Knights at Hunter Stadium. The Raiders are without centre Joey Leilua, after he was charged with a dangerous throw and contrary conduct. He's out for two weeks after pleading guilty to the dangerous throw charge. The Raiders are contesting the contrary conduct charge - on the very sound grounds that his 10 minute sin binning for the incident was sufficient punishment. Halves Aidan Sezer and Blake Austin are still on the sidelines. Shaun Fensom and Lachlan Croker have both been cleared for a return after their Round 2 injuries.

Brenko Lee comes into the side for Leilua, while Sam Williams and Lachlan Croker have again been named in the halves by coach Ricky Stuart. Apart from Brenko Lee, there are no changes to the Raiders' team named for Round 2. It will be Edrick Lee's 50th NRL match.

The Newcastle Knights have named an 18-man squad. Pauli Pauli returns from suspension onto an extended bench, while Sione Mata’utia is also named on the bench. David Bhana and Kade Snowden are out due to injury. Mullen will play his 200th NRL game in the match.

Late changes: It won't surprise to see some late changes in the Raiders' halves, given Lachlan Croker's shoulder injury - his shoulder was heavily strapped on Tuesday. There's speculation Josh Hodgson will move to the halves and Kurt Baptiste to starting hooker, with Adam Clydsdale to come onto the bench. For the Knights Dane Gagai will to go to fullback, the Mata'utia brothers will play in the centres and Corey Denniss will debut on the wing. Uate is out injured. Pauli Pauli, named as 18th man, will come onto the bench.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has won 25 and lost 18 matches against the Newcastle Knights, drawing one. The Raiders have won five of the last 10 clashes. In 2015, the Raiders won both matches between the sides - with Canberra winning well in what were high scoring affairs. The Raiders have won just eight of 21 matches at Hunter Stadium - but won at both last starts at the venue in 2014 and 2015.

2015 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

2015 Round 18 Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

And, here's some Raiders-Knights history for you... the huge 52-16 win at Newcastle in Round 18, 1994, a night when Brett Mullins scored four of the nine Green Machine tries. It's the most number of points Canberra has scored against the Knights. But it was matched in Round 19, 2010 - a 52-18 win at Canberra Stadium.

1994 Round 18 Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Form: The Raiders are on an official LWWWW form line in their last five appearances - a five game winning streak if the 2016 trial against the Knights in Orange is included. In contrast the Knights have an official WLLLL form line. The Knights have struggled in the opening rounds, losing 30-12 to the Titans and 48-6 to the Rabbitohs.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.57 favourites in the match; the Knights are paying $2.40. The Knights have 4 points start.

Our tip: The Raiders have had some very tough matches in searing heat in the first two rounds - and it must have taken a toll. On the other hand, the Raiders have been training for just those conditions over the summer and the performance staff at the Raiders are clearly very confident in the fitness of the team.

The other issue is injury and suspension for key players. It's a difficult ask for Sam Williams and Lachlan Croker to cover for Sezer and Austin in the halves. Last weekend, Croker found the step up to the NRL tough going before he went off injured before half time. But he's gaining valuable experience at this stage of his career. And the young halves have hooker Josh Hodgson by their side in organising the team. Hodgson is in stellar form, leading the Dally M count after two rounds.

The Knights will be desperate to bounce back from a disappointing start to the season. And it's often that in this situation, the Raiders become complacent. But if their heads are switched on, Canberra should have what's needed to take the two competition points. Raiders by 10.

What they're saying:

Ricky Stuart on the Round 2 win: "We gave them some constructive criticism today because we didn't play well, and we need to be better than that. All the coaches today were quite critical of our performance, and all our players agreed. There was some tough love today, but our character enabled us to escape a bullet."

Kurt Baptiste on the best start to the season since 2005: "It’s obviously good to get the two wins, but we’re not getting ahead of ourselves. It’s only two games, there’s plenty more games to come. We’ll focus on this weekend and the Knights. They’ll be ready to play – their first home game so they’ll put in a good performance for sure.”

Shaun Fensom cautious about the Knights: "It is their first home game and they haven't started the season well and we have to make sure we go up there and do the job properly."

Edrick Lee on playing his 50th NRL match in Newcastle: "It sure has taken a while, but it's definitely good to get 50 games for one club. There are a lot of people in the squad who can take your position, so it's about performing week in, week out."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Brenko Lee 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Lachlan Croker 7. Sam Williams 8. Shannon Boyd 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Frank Paul Nuuausala 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliot Whitehead 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Iosia Soliola 16. Paul Vaughan 17. Jeff Lima

Newcastle Knights

1. Jaelen Feeney 2. Nathan Ross 3. Dane Gagai 4. Pat Mata'utia 5. Akuila Uate 6. Jarrod Mullen 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Sam Mataora 9. Tyler Randell 10. Korbin Sims 11. Jacob Saifiti 12. Robbie Rochow 13. Jeremy Smith

14. Danny Levi 15. Sione Mata'utia 16. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 17. Daniel Saifiti 18. Pauli Pauli

Officials:

Referees: Ashley Klein, Chris Sutton;Sideline Officials: Adam Reid, Rohan Best;Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea, Bernard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLKnightsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2016 #FromAllAngles

Junior representatives teams and discussion: Click here
Holden Cup teams and discussion: Click here
NSW Premiership teams and discussion: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2016 Rd 3 V Knights: Game Day

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Anyone going to game? Think i'll head up. What section are travelling members likely to sit in?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote:Anyone going to game? Think i'll head up. What section are travelling members likely to sit in?
See separate thread, a few going
Edrick The Entertainer
Redbull Raiders
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Redbull Raiders »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote:Anyone going to game? Think i'll head up. What section are travelling members likely to sit in?
Bay 50 is away supporters bay
expect nothing but failure and you'll never be disappointed...

Image: @RedbullRaiders
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus

Cool, ta
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day you heathens!

First game I will miss because of work.

If we lose this then we finally realise there is no more room on the drawing board.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Fox are playing 95 rd 14 game vs Knights.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Jeez there were some great players in that era. Dave Furner was brilliant, Clyde is one of the best, Harrigan was a great front rower.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Game day you sexy beasts
Edrick The Entertainer
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Remember 5pm kickoff
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Get. On. Up.

Big test for the boys today. Should tell us a little bit about our mentaility this year.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Yippaa! First game I get to this year! Taking the 3 generations to this one, old boy is driving up from canberra as we speak, should be good for Mounties kickoff!

We did the same thing last year for this fixture and put some good points on them, let's do the same again this year!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

I have no feeling about this game
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Northern Raider wrote:I have no feeling about this game
Because you have no soul.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day- YES!!! Go the RAIDERS!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

22° in Newie today...The boys won't know themselves
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Newcastle have won 199 games at Hunter Stadium/Jarrod Mullen plays his 200th...
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

1992 wrote:Newcastle have won 199 games at Hunter Stadium/Jarrod Mullen plays his 200th...
Round 6

Knights have won 199 games at Hunter
Mullen plays his 203 rd
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

1992 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:I have no feeling about this game
Because you have no soul.
because I have no soul
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Quite nervous for them today

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I'm eager, eager to see how the boys react when they play a team that for all intents and purposes they should beat, that's why its dangerous, and at the end of the game we will know if we've really turned a corner or not. These are the sorts of games we need to put away well if we want to be contenders
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Manchild wrote:Fox are playing 95 rd 14 game vs Knights.
Was that at Bruce Stadium?? That's the first ever home game I attended and the second game after the Roosters the week before!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:
Was that at Bruce Stadium?? That's the first ever home game I attended and the second game after the Roosters the week before!
I'm just watching this game on replay, getting ready for the rest of the day! How good was it seeing Steve Walters strike for the ball in the ruck, and win possession! What a stupid rule change it was, outlawing that!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
I'm just watching this game on replay, getting ready for the rest of the day! How good was it seeing Steve Walters strike for the ball in the ruck, and win possession! What a stupid rule change it was, outlawing that!
Yep agree, that rule change sped up the play the ball, but then encouraged the scourge of wrestling. The biggest blight on the game of the last 20 years.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus

Yeah what was the logic in getting rid of it? Just part of the broader commoditisation of possession for an attacking team? Or was it because it was more often than not penalised for being done incorrectly which slowed the game down to much? If the latter then I don't think it'd be an issue nowadays cos it would be coached out of players on account of it being low percentage (like the charge down) but would still be there as an option of a side was really desperate...
RSK
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campo.

Post by RSK »

Do they sell Raiders gear at away games?
The world appears in shades of green.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

They often do, RSK. Just look for a stall outside the grounds somewhere, usually just inside the gate
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote:Yeah what was the logic in getting rid of it? Just part of the broader commoditisation of possession for an attacking team? Or was it because it was more often than not penalised for being done incorrectly which slowed the game down to much? If the latter then I don't think it'd be an issue nowadays cos it would be coached out of players on account of it being low percentage (like the charge down) but would still be there as an option of a side was really desperate...
Too many penalties maybe?

I know that's why the gentlemens agreement was made to make scrums uncontested
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They wanted to speed up the game. It was Bennett's idea.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Still not confident of a win today despite everything pointing out way ( the joys of past years Inconsistencies )
Really looking forward to seeing Brenko play today.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

So the misses has a family BBQ today with about 30 family members. Wondering if I will still be a rude unsociable **** if I talk to everyone for the first few hours and then sit inside in front of the tv whilst the game is on...
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

I vote not rude
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

RTW wrote:So the misses has a family BBQ today with about 30 family members. Wondering if I will still be a rude unsociable **** if I talk to everyone for the first few hours and then sit inside in front of the tv whilst the game is on...
Haha nah i do it all the time...
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I can't shake a feeling that we'll lose today
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Raidersrawesome wrote:I vote not rude
So do I but that doesn't mean that is what the end result will be.
If we happen to lose then I'm sure I will end up in the rude category!