Junior Paulo signs with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Could Junior Paulo arrive at Raiders before 30 June?

Post by Rick »

Gerg wrote:
simo wrote:
Hazza wrote:Anyone that doesn't think at least half the teams in the comp are cheating the cap is living in fairy land. Parra were just silly enough to get caught.
so let them off? Again, we can all think every club is rorting the cap as much as we like. Until it can be proven, it means nothing
The NRL salary cap auditors couldn't uncover the wrapping on a slice of cheese because they are toothless and are too stupid to give themselves the powers to properly police the cap. None of the large rorting has been uncovered by the NRL.
This is correct. Why have a rule if it can not be enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

CJ42 wrote:It's farcical. I hope the storm and Bulldogs smash the NRL in court.
Their fans are understandably miffed at the penalty given to the Eels. They begrudgingly copped their own punishment on the chin. Would burn like acid seeing a rival club get a much lesser penalty for the same thing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green Hornet
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine / Josh Papalli

Post by Green Hornet »

This whole thing with the eels is a farce. If the only damage to the playing roster is the retirement of Watmough is a joke.

Its like playing a game of poker and you get dealt an extra card then being about to give back a **** card rather than the extra card you were given. (we'll have a Jennings, Scott and Foran but you can have Watmough back!!)
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Green Hornet wrote:This whole thing with the eels is a farce. If the only damage to the playing roster is the retirement of Watmough is a joke.

Its like playing a game of poker and you get dealt an extra card then being about to give back a **** card rather than the extra card you were given. (we'll have a Jennings, Scott and Foran but you can have Watmough back!!)
Sort of like Broncos cap management :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Green Hornet wrote:This whole thing with the eels is a farce. If the only damage to the playing roster is the retirement of Watmough is a joke.

thats possibly the best analogy for it ive read
Dont delete this GE
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The NRL has been strong on those it has had evidence of deliberate cheating on in the past (Storm/Dogs). I don't see why the situation with Parramatta should be any different. If it's proven in 2016 they have deliberately rorted the cap then they should play for zero points in 2016. No wishy washy deduction of some points and then dump a dud and its all ok. This type of thinking on suitable punishment eeludes me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The difference between the Eels case and the Dogs/Storm is that....ahhh, bugger it...there is no difference.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Aren't they over more per year than the other two clubs were?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote:The difference between the Eels case and the Dogs/Storm is that....ahhh, bugger it...there is no difference.
The difference is Parramatta is a rugby league heartland under direct attack from 2 codes

The cynic in me says that has and will continue to play a role
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CJ42 wrote:Aren't they over more per year than the other two clubs were?
No, storm were 1.04 mil over in 2010

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Pigman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:The difference between the Eels case and the Dogs/Storm is that....ahhh, bugger it...there is no difference.
The difference is Parramatta is a rugby league heartland under direct attack from 2 codes

Yep, those Giants are also getting too good at this AFL thing.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Pigman wrote:

If the NRL handles this poorly I reckon they'll lose a hell of a lot more fans then if they strip them of points. You can't make your code look like a circus to keep fans.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Could Junior Paulo arrive at Raiders before 30 June?

Post by Organised Chaos »

DJ89 wrote:
Pigman wrote:

If the NRL handles this poorly I reckon they'll lose a hell of a lot more fans then if they strip them of points. You can't make your code look like a circus to keep fans.
Umn, I beg to differ and present as evidence, exhibit A: Rugby League
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

DJ89 wrote:
Pigman wrote:

tbh the Eels have been a basket case on the field so probably in this situation it would have been best to let it go to the keeper.

The code is a joke…just give us JP and its O.K.
WorkChoice
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

If they have to offload Paulo or someone of similar value (Peats, Scott, Norman) and they manage to do it this week than I am ok with them earning points.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Any chance you could post a bit of a snippet (not the whole thing) from there pretty please? Getting a paywall and it's unlikely that I'll find myself looking at tele articles from london often enough to justify paying :lol:
I am curious as to all this kind of news though of course.
#FreeJP
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

I just had an idea, could we afford to give FPN to the Eels and continue paying his salary this year as a sweetener for Paulo? That way they would lose all of his salary without the need to replace it with a 2nd tier topup and we would avoid the risk of Ricky giving Frank a reprieve.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Archer wrote:
Any chance you could post a bit of a snippet (not the whole thing) from there pretty please? Getting a paywall and it's unlikely that I'll find myself looking at tele articles from london often enough to justify paying :lol:
#FreeJP
"PARRAMATTA will have to offload one more player to fit under the salary cap and be free to play for competition points against South Sydney on Friday night."
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
RaiderSteve78
Peter Jackson

Post by RaiderSteve78 »

If they do have to shed one more player to get under the cap for Friday. Would a club consider stalling a couple of days to make sure the Eels are one step closer to being out of contention. Whilst I don't think they are going to make the 8 whilst they can still make the 8 they are a danger team with nothing to loose.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Manbush wrote:
Archer wrote:
#FreeJP
"PARRAMATTA will have to offload one more player to fit under the salary cap and be free to play for competition points against South Sydney on Friday night."
"Thanks" Bushy, I was more concerned with the finer details the article might have as to whether its likely to be a highly paid player or some scrub nuffie on a pie and coke and I didn't see that info in the URL... :P
Anyway, I've had some other help (thanks again) and managed to get the details , sounds possible it's JP, but that could be my wishful thinking.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Sorry mate I'm locked out now to, just copied it from what I posted in the Parra thread, from memory it didn't mention what price the player would have to be.

I live in Australia and still not going to pay for that crap.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Manbush wrote:Sorry mate I'm locked out now to, just copied it from what I posted in the Parra thread, from memory it didn't mention what price the player would have to be.

I live in Australia and still not going to pay for that crap.
All good, I think the important part was this:

"While Morgan’s move south knocked off $70,000 from the Eels’ cap, the sticking point remains Watmough’s mega deal and how far his payout is backdated.
It’s believed Watmough’s payout will wipe between $400,000 and $450,000 from the cap, which will still leave the Eels with a shortfall. That will determine whether the Eels need to release a top-line star or a second-tier player."

The club will not only need to identify that player, but also secure them a suitable home by Friday’s deadline, the same day the club host South Sydney at a packed Pirtek Stadium.
RaiderSteve78
Peter Jackson

Post by RaiderSteve78 »

Archer wrote:
Manbush wrote:
Archer wrote:
#FreeJP
"Thanks" Bushy, I was more concerned with the finer details the article might have as to whether its likely to be a highly paid player or some scrub nuffie on a pie and coke and I didn't see that info in the URL... :P
Anyway, I've had some other help and managed to get the details, sounds possible it's JP, but that could be my wishful thinking.
If they offload a minimal wage player don't they also have to replace him with another minimum wage player not fixing the problem for them. Surely it would need to be someone above minimum wage to cover the replacement plus whatever cap space they need.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Oh and that they will likely come back to the NRL with a proposal on it all by Tomorrow or Wednesday (which is probably obvious if they want it sorted before Friday)
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

RaiderSteve78 wrote: If they offload a minimal wage player don't they also have to replace him with another minimum wage player not fixing the problem for them. Surely it would need to be someone above minimum wage to cover the replacement plus whatever cap space they need.
Yeah they would, sorry I was exaggerating a bit, I more meant whether it would be a low-mid priced player or mid-high, based on whether they needed to free up 50k or 250k.
Without knowing JP's contract it sounds like he would be a pretty good fit based on the figures quoted above as I know he's not meant to be on monster coin, but you'd imagine he's at least 30-80k over minimum wage (which is roughly the ballpark they would need to offload isn't it?)
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Stars are aligning people....
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

It has to be 1 of:
Peats
De Gois
Norman
Gordon
Paulo

Of the off contract players, these are the guys worth anything.

Paulo is already signed elsewhere for 2017. Surely the no brainer decision has to be made!?!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

NRL tells Parramatta Eels they must shed Anthony Watmough and another player

The NRL has refused to budge on a demand that Parramatta slash $575,000 from their player roster to play for points against South Sydney on Friday, leaving the Eels having to shed one more player on at least $250,000 a year, as well as Anthony Watmough and the already departed Ryan Morgan.

On an eventful day on two fronts for the club, an injunction order was lifted in the NSW Supreme Court, leaving Eels chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao suspended and limited to basic duties at the club. While the dropping of that order was negotiated by the barrister for the five men, Arthur Moses, SC, and NRL lawyers – with an agreement hurriedly scribbled on a piece of A4 paper – there were further talks on Monday at Moore Park as Ian Schubert, the Eels' representative in salary cap talks with League Central, met with cap auditor Jamie L'Oste-Brown.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... oq56y.html
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Manbush wrote:
Archer wrote:
#FreeJP
Yeah I'm Locked out now to

But the forward of this blog covers it pretty well

http://www.1eyedeel.com/forum/topics/ee ... 5#comments
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

RaiderSteve78 wrote:
If they do have to shed one more player to get under the cap for Friday. Would a club consider stalling a couple of days to make sure the Eels are one step closer to being out of contention. Whilst I don't think they are going to make the 8 whilst they can still make the 8 they are a danger team with nothing to loose.
possibly, depends on what club, player position and when they play this rd

You wouldn't think any player who leaves this week would turn out for their new club this weekend without a few training sessions under their belt with the new teammates.

But on the other hand I would say it would force teams to move quick depending how desperate they are.

If Paulo was offered tomorrow to us highly unlikely he meets the team at the hotel on Wednesday and plays Thursday so Raiders could stall it deliberately. But the risk you take is that because Eels desperate to get under that they offer a few players to a few clubs and as soon as one is taken then the others aren't available and we miss out
Last edited by scotchberry on May 9, 2016, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

So Morgan and Watmough almost cover it and they just have to get rid of one more minimum wage player.. That sucks, they will basically have the same team.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We were too far off on the figures.

Watmough 900K, with approx half to be backdated by the NRL (400-450K). So they are accepting his retirement, BUT, not at full value. GOOD!

Morgan to Storm, approx 140K, meaning about 70K of the cap.

They are 30-50K short, meaning 1 more player, BUT, need to bring 3 into the top 25 to account for the 3 sold. Therefore 150-180K required. Meaning a player worth approx 350K.

Article says Paulo is unlikely though.

This seems dumb to me - which makes perfect sense coming from Parra. Its the no brainer decision.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Gerg wrote:
Hbomb wrote:Personally i reakon each week theyre over the cap they forfeit. Whats the point? They are knowingly playing with a team breaking the rules. Why punish another side for not being able to beat a side intentionally breaking the rules? They shouldnt even be able to field a side. However of corse the nrl would lose money....
Intentionally breaking the rules? I'm sure they are not the only ones, just the only ones stupid enough to get caught. But it was done by an agenda driven newspaper not the NRL - funnily enough led by the News Ltd rag. If the issue is in relation to an illegally assembled side then why not look at the calibre of players. The Eels have 3 or 4 genuine rep players (Aus/NZ/Eng). The Broncos have about 8. How this situation gets a free pass is ridiculous.

Every time a player signs with a club the speculation comes out immediately in relation to what amount of money the contract is and what percentage of it is made up of TPA's. I'm not suggesting the figures generally quoted are accurate but they must be in the general ballpark. Now this goes completely against the NRL rules relating to TPA's, does it not? Yet it has been happening for years. Let's just say that the Eels breaches are in relation to 1.5 million dollars worth of TPA's (wild guess for arguments sake) yet the Broncos are racking up 4 million dollars worth of TPA's (another wild guess for arguments sake). There is really no difference how these TPA's were obtained - the club organises them for the players. How can the NRL then penalise the Eels for utilising less TPA's than the Broncos? We all know how TPA's are sought and administered is a **** joke but here is the NRL taking 1 club to task for a ridiculous rule that the majority of clubs in the competition are breaking. Everybody who follows the game knows this crap goes on and the NRL is too piss weak to do anything about it. It's pretty clear the NRL has no control over it so they need to grow a pair and take control of the situation. When Gee got busted the NRL should have given the Broncos an ultimatum 'prove your innocence or we start penalising you', not simply tucking their balls in and saying their was nothing they could do. The NRL is coming down hard on 1 particular team while the Elephant has been sitting in the room for the past 20 years consistently with 8 - 10 rep players in their side.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RaiderSteve78
Peter Jackson

Post by RaiderSteve78 »

Matt wrote:It has to be 1 of:
Peats
De Gois
Norman
Gordon
Paulo

Of the off contract players, these are the guys worth anything.

Paulo is already signed elsewhere for 2017. Surely the no brainer decision has to be made!?!
If they are going to offload Paulo which would be logical why should we rush to sign him why go out of our way to get them under the cap for Friday. Surely we wouldn't play him without him training with the team at all. So sign him up on Saturday to play round 11.