Craziest things you have done as a Raiders fan

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Craziest things you have done as a Raiders fan

Post by cat »

Lets see who is the more fanatical supporter on here :)

I once bought 17 Siamese fighting fish (and 17 tanks) and named each one after the players playing that season. But I don't do that anymore cause I got upset too much and saw it as a bad sign when a fish died. Yep the day Tilsey died was a scary day at my place!

So now I have 2 budgies Canberra and Bruce (Raider had a fight with Canberra, chewed through my flyscreen while I was at work and moved out :( ) and a canary named Huawei

I also have a cabinet of raiders gnomes inside cause if they go outside and fade then that wont be good, and it could mean the team will fade........

I'm sure there are crazier people then me on here :)
Vaccinated
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Craziest things you hav e done as a raiders fan

Post by hrundi89 »

Be a Raiders fan since '82.

That'll do...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Craziest things you hav e done as a raiders fan

Post by -TW- »

Still support this club
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Craziest things you have done as a Raiders fan

Post by zim »

On Rugby League Live 3 I signed Daly Cherry-Evans as he was the highest rated halfback available. Wanted the club to win that premiership.
Raiders74156
Terry Campese

Post by Raiders74156 »

I broke my $150 dollar watch after we lost a close match, i threw it at the bottom of the door. I just wanted them to win.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cat thats a whole new level
Edrick The Entertainer
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I keep renewing my membership despite it virtually being an invoice for disappointment each season.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

after the mainly game i pulled my members hat to pieces on the way out :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I started some **** website
And I hang out with a pack of degenerate ***** I hate just because we all share a tortured existence supporting this god forsaken black hole of happiness
Victor05
Gary Coyne

Post by Victor05 »

I have a labrador named Victor and a pet turtle called Tez. Previous pets have also included Dugan (goat) and Shaun (sheep).

A giant Raiders Lime goal post pad is the centre piece of our lounge room.

Most recent addition to the collection is tailor made Nikes in Raiders theme colours which have been signed by my two favourite players (thanks Blake and Jarrod).

I also have more Raiders clothing than non-Raiders, I feel like a walking, talking Huawei billboard!

I am too scared to try and work out the financial outlay I have made on the team, not to mention the emotional!

But hey it will all be worth it when we win the comp!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Not sure this is crazy but to show how dedicated I am I checked the score on my phone during my wedding ceremony...we were playing the Warriors and winning, it was a sneaky little check and no one saw..then I signed my life away straight after
In Ricky We Trust
shuuraider
Brett Mullins

Post by shuuraider »

Got a security gig at kograh, simply becuase round 1 that season was the Raiders Vs Saints. Got paid, to watch the game from the sideline. Did not give a **** about doing my job as i was there to watch the game. No shame, cheering and all. copped death threaths from the saints supporters. The team recognized me as the guard cheering for them after the game, most of em approached me and shook my hand. Was one of the best games i attended, esp since i got paid while doing it lol.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

cat wrote:Lets see who is the more fanatical supporter on here :)

I once bought 17 Siamese fighting fish (and 17 tanks) and named each one after the players playing that season. But I don't do that anymore cause I got upset too much and saw it as a bad sign when a fish died. Yep the day Tilsey died was a scary day at my place!

So now I have 2 budgies Canberra and Bruce (Raider had a fight with Canberra, chewed through my flyscreen while I was at work and moved out :( ) and a canary named Huawei

I also have a cabinet of raiders gnomes inside cause if they go outside and fade then that wont be good, and it could mean the team will fade........

I'm sure there are crazier people then me on here :)
nope you win ImageImageImage

I now understand the term crazy Cat lady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Our radio went through our wall also collecting the flower vase, after Bulgarelli dropped the ball in goal.......... Won that one n we were in the prelim final........
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Brew wrote:Not sure this is crazy but to show how dedicated I am I checked the score on my phone during my wedding ceremony
:lol:

I monitored the score during my reception, but the ceremony, that's next level s*** :lol:

Love it, Brew!
Bullraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Bullraider »

Raider 85 wrote:
Brew wrote:Not sure this is crazy but to show how dedicated I am I checked the score on my phone during my wedding ceremony
:lol:

I monitored the score during my reception, but the ceremony, that's next level s*** :lol:

Love it, Brew!
2 very brave men right there.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

This is a really good thread, Cat.

I can't recall one crazy thing, in particular. The main issue is the pain and suffering I go through in every moment of every game. And that I front up every year and do it again.

Even games like the one in which we pumped the Titans last season: I was pacing, biting my nails, watching the clock. "There's still ten minutes to go and we're only up by 30: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN".
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Raider 85 wrote:

I monitored the score during my reception, but the ceremony, that's next level s*** Image

Love it, Brew!
I arrived late to my wedding as the 94 semi with us playing Norths was on live during the day. ABC I think too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:

I monitored the score during my reception, but the ceremony, that's next level s*** Image

Love it, Brew!
I arrived late to my wedding as the 94 semi with us playing Norths was on live during the day. ABC I think too.
I just don't understand how so many weddings happen during the footy season. You decide the date up front!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Didn't have a choice. I already had put it off previously.

I was back from the honeymoon for the GF.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Craziest things. If I eat M&Ms I eat the green, blue and yellow ones together, first.

I have lots of memorabilia around the office, but it's in the cupboards at home. Plus I have invested a bit of money in a Raiders website, to help it grow. I spend a bit of time on it as well.

I buy more than one membership, so I can choose where to sit.

I fly or drive to far flung places to see the Raiders play trials, but it's tough getting me to drive to Sydney for an away game.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:

Love it, Brew!
I just don't understand how so many weddings happen during the footy season. You decide the date up front!
Cause I play Cricket!
In Ricky We Trust
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

greeneyed wrote:Craziest things. If I eat M&Ms I eat the green, blue and yellow ones together, first.
Naaaw

I'm going to start doing the same
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I was a guest at at mates wedding in 91 or 92 I think.

The Raiders were playing Wests in a semi final and I listened to the whole game on a transistor radio + earpiece during the ceremony. Even after the ceremony while everyone was gathered outside while the bride and groom had photos I was standing off to the side listening in. We won of course.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

luke wrote:This is a really good thread, Cat.

I can't recall one crazy thing, in particular. The main issue is the pain and suffering I go through in every moment of every game. And that I front up every year and do it again.

Even games like the one in which we pumped the Titans last season: I was pacing, biting my nails, watching the clock. "There's still ten minutes to go and we're only up by 30: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN".
This is me big time, even when we are absolutely looking the goods and have it in the bag I'm worried we lose and have huge nerves.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

CJ42 wrote:

This is me big time, even when we are absolutely looking the goods and have it in the bag I'm worried we lose and have huge nerves.
I still wasn't confident we'd beat Penrith the first time this year even after Edrick scored. 5 minutes to go and up by 12? and I'm still worried about losing the game.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ha! That's me as well Image
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Some think it's crazy, but I don't.

My son's middle name is Daley
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

I used to race Greyhounds and called one of them 'Greysynd Raider' (the 'greysynd' part was a mandatory requirement of the syndicate)
I designed the syndicate logo which is also my avatar. His yard name was chikka and I turned one of my old jerseys into his walking/yard coat.

Here he is winning at Cranbourne

PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

I organised to get a TV moved into my wedding reception dining area so me and other Raiders fans in attendance could watch the Raiders Storm game that was live during the night. We even made the speeches, wedding cake etc super early on in proceedings so that we wouldn't miss kick off.

I knew I'd found the right woman when she agreed to let me do this.
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

Back in 2004 or 05' (I think), myself and some mates were traveling from Sydney for a home game and long story short, we had some car trouble and ended up taking a $400 taxi from Goulburn to the game... Needless to say we won the game and missed most of the first half but I couldn't tell you who we were playing!
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Actually, I had a 40th party (2010) at one of the pubs on King Street Wharf and I had my guests dress up in green.

The Raiders were playing the Cowboys on the TVs there and won comfortably. Good night.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In the days before mobile telephones were common, we were issued with dictaphones (dictation phone recorders). These were small cassette recorders and we took them with us everywhere. If we had an idea in the car, no need to stop and write notes, just hit 'record' and express your thoughts to come back to later. Then mobile phones were introduced and double floppy disc computers. What to do with the dictaphones? I recorded the Raiders theme song on it. After we won the '89 Grand Final I would drive everyone mad by playing it constantly. Walking through the office, in the meal room, during meetings, anywhere.

One day we were called to Sydney for a meeting with the then CEO and some General Managers. I did not know my practice of playing the Raiders theme music had gone so far up the food chain. During the CEO's opening remarks he asked me to come to front of the room and asked if I had a recording device on me. Sure enough I produced it. He said, 'play it once now, then don't play it again today.' So the Raiders theme music kicked off the day long meeting and the old dictaphone had pride of place at the front of the room.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Post by thedevilingreen »

Ilanraiders wrote:Our radio went through our wall also collecting the flower vase, after Bulgarelli dropped the ball in goal.......... Won that one n we were in the prelim final........
A friend got an absolute spray from me after that game. Poor bastard only rang up to say that sucked (shouldn't have opened with I saw the game) It still breaks my heart to see how close we went.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That boogs dropped ball is our equivalent to the curse of the bambino
Nothing has gone right for us since
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.