Unfair to cast Smith as 'villain', says David Shillington

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unfair to cast Cameron Smith as 'the villain', says David Shillington

David Shillington has labelled Cameron Smith's portrayal as "the villain" in a TV special with Alex McKinnon as "overplayed", but said he can see both sides of the story and he can't blame the former Newcastle Knights player for how he feels.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... i61qf.html
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Re: Unfair to cast Smith as 'villain', says David Shillingto

Post by VictorTheViking »

Couldnt you have waited till after friday night before saying this dave??
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Why Davis?
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pillow talk!!!!
Rob
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Rob »

Shilo was only talking the truth.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

**** Smith. He deserves all the criticism he is copping and more.

Smith is one of the games biggest grubs and this is just another example.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Green eyed Mick wrote:**** Smith. He deserves all the criticism he is copping and more.

You're a first class clown.
Understanding there may be rules in place for slander of fellow forum members, if you're going to make such stupid statements - you deserve to be belittled.

The criticism is unjustified.

Yes the incident in hindsight is unsavoury. However, as a Captain, Cameron Smith's first obligation is to ensure the wellbeing of his own player and to lessen the on field impact and any potential charges that may result post incident.
1. Don't presume for a second that Smith was being a grub attempting to solely accuse McKinnon. He was defending Jordan Mclean. As a Captain should.
2. During telecast, as commentators were listening to Smith give explanatory statements to the on field referee, they were in agreement. It was stated on the night by Smith quite rightly that if McKinnon doesn't turn his head under, then he lessens the impact. It is also commonly known that players are taught from wrestling coaches that when falling to the ground, the best position is to tuck your head in to promote body roll.
I've had arguments with friends who suggest that McKinnon tucked his head in as a means of protecting his airways, and whilst probably correct as a instinctive reaction, protection of airways is not an argument when falling. First reaction is to lessen the impact to head and/or chest - hence humans extend their arms.
3. Alex McKinnon stated on the night that he was not at fault - and he wasn't letting the ball go. If his instincts had kicked in to the point of protecting airways, he also would have assumed self preservation and let go of the football to lessen the impact of his fall. This didn't occur.
4. Don't be a fool and take hook line and sinker what is gutter journalism. The Melbourne Storm were refused access to the 60 minutes story and Cameron Smith was not given right of reply.
5. State bias against Cameron Smith and his abilities and/or being the captain of the Melbourne Storm during the salary cap should not impact on persons suggesting he is a grub. Mal Meninga was the captain of the Canberra Raiders during the 1990-1991 seasons when the Raiders were found guilty of salary cap indiscretions. I trust those criticising Smith and presuming he was aware of the process are also equally aggressive towards Meninga.
6. Cameron Smith and Ryan Hoffman made several attempts in the following days to make contact with the McKinnon family and were turned away. Cameron Smith wore McKinnon's number 19 jumper and helped promote the Rise For Alex round. A radio commentator yesterday evening rightly suggested if the McKinnon's were so anti Cameron Smith - wouldn't someone have come forward and suggested he not be so heavily involved in the promotion of support?

You can't sit there and moan about the fact he is an excellent communicator which in turn allows him to speak to a referee. Would you prefer he grunts and swears like the majority of NRL players? Does that make him less of a grub?

Is he doing anything in tackles that the rest of the NRL aren't doing?
Has he stabbed his wife in the head with a glass?
Did he ask his friend to take the fall and accept a charge from the police for the incident?
Did he urinate on a car during his wedding?
Did he have unsavoury relations with a dog?
Did he hit a guy, stomp his head and serve jail time?
Did he hit a guy blindside after being at market and serve a lengthy sentence that rubbed him out of the game?
Has he been accused of taking performance enhancing drugs?

Your argument will be that he is a grub because he gets away with things on the field that other players don't - pity the fact other players aren't capable of knowing how far the referee can be tested.

Your argument will be that he was involved in the Melbourne Storm rort.
Let me put this to you -

Canberra Raiders - 1994 Team.

1. Brett Mullins - Australian (International) Representative Player.
2. Ken Nagas - NSW (State) Representative Player (future Super League International)
3. Mal Meninga - Australian(International) Representative Player.
4. Ruben Wiki - NZ (International) Representative Player
5. Noa Nadruku - FIJI (International) Representative Player.
6. Laurie Daley - Australian (International) Representative Player.
7. Ricky Stuart - Australian (International) Representative Player.
8. Quentin Pongia - NZ (International) Representative Player.
9. Steve Walters - Australian (International) Representative Player.
10. John Lomax - NZ (International) Representative Player.
11. Jason Croker - NSW (State) Representative Player (future 2000 World Cup International).
12. David Furner - Australian (International) Representative Player.
13. Bradley Clyde - Australian (International) Representative Player.

In 1994, of the 13 players in the starting team - The Canberra Raiders had 2 State Players, 1 Fiji International, 3 NZ Internationals and 7 Australian Internationals.
Do you honestly think anyone in that team believed they played together just because they wanted to be part of a winning team and they were being paid unders?

It p*sses me off no end that keyboard warriors are fools lacking common sense. It is shameful that the brilliant career held by Cameron Smith in becoming widely regarded as the number 1 hooker in the game (passing Steve Walters) will be tarnished by gutter journalism and incessant fools who believe they have expert knowledge because they can rant in 140 characters or less.

End rant.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Sums it up perfectly love4noa, agree completely, its nice to know there are some intelligent people on this site
Last edited by chris83 on July 7, 2015, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's a fairly good post tbh.
the green lantern
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by the green lantern »

As a QLD Origin fan I have the utmost respect for Cameron Smith as a footballer. I believe he is the best hooker to play the game ever. I do believe this criticism is warranted however, perhaps the timing is askew to the event, but warranted nonetheless.

As with all champions in their respective fields sometimes their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness. As a club, from CEO to Coach to players the Storm have continually put their steadfast pursuit of a Premiership ahead of anything outside of rugby league. This has been particularly so under the current coach and captain (salary cap rort, wrestling tactics, on-field ref manipulation). This is part of what has made them great. They have been my favourite team to watch over the past 10 years, besides our beloved Raiders.

So if they are prepared to live by the sword they should also be prepared to die by the sword. To get in the head of a ref to try and influence a current and any future decisions in the quest for a win may be warranted in some instances and even be applauded by some as gamesmanship. To do it in the heat of the moment is also forgivable. But to continue doing so near on 10 minutes after the fact while it is becoming increasingly obvious this is more serious than a normal football accident is deplorable. And especially so when it is not even debatable that it is an illegal tactic.

Some things are more important than 2 competition points and I believe the champion Melbourne Storm side have that line blurred under the influence of their coach, captain and other star players.

In the words of Bennett perhaps a good man off the field in Smith just "got it wrong". He has had over a year to write;

"Dear McKinnon family, sorry for putting 2 NRL points above the safety of your son....".
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

Love4Noa wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:**** Smith. He deserves all the criticism he is copping and more.

Understanding there may be rules in place for slander of fellow forum members, if you're going to make such stupid statements - you deserve to be belittled.

Yes the incident in hindsight is unsavoury. However, as a Captain, Cameron Smith's first obligation is to ensure the wellbeing of his own player and to lessen the on field impact and any potential charges that may result post incident.
1. Don't presume for a second that Smith was being a grub attempting to solely accuse McKinnon. He was defending Jordan Mclean. As a Captain should.
2. During telecast, as commentators were listening to Smith give explanatory statements to the on field referee, they were in agreement. It was stated on the night by Smith quite rightly that if McKinnon doesn't turn his head under, then he lessens the impact. It is also commonly known that players are taught from wrestling coaches that when falling to the ground, the best position is to tuck your head in to promote body roll.
I've had arguments with friends who suggest that McKinnon tucked his head in as a means of protecting his airways, and whilst probably correct as a instinctive reaction, protection of airways is not an argument when falling. First reaction is to lessen the impact to head and/or chest - hence humans extend their arms.
3. Alex McKinnon stated on the night that he was not at fault - and he wasn't letting the ball go. If his instincts had kicked in to the point of protecting airways, he also would have assumed self preservation and let go of the football to lessen the impact of his fall. This didn't occur.
4. Don't be a fool and take hook line and sinker what is gutter journalism. The Melbourne Storm were refused access to the 60 minutes story and Cameron Smith was not given right of reply.
5. State bias against Cameron Smith and his abilities and/or being the captain of the Melbourne Storm during the salary cap should not impact on persons suggesting he is a grub. Mal Meninga was the captain of the Canberra Raiders during the 1990-1991 seasons when the Raiders were found guilty of salary cap indiscretions. I trust those criticising Smith and presuming he was aware of the process are also equally aggressive towards Meninga.
6. Cameron Smith and Ryan Hoffman made several attempts in the following days to make contact with the McKinnon family and were turned away. Cameron Smith wore McKinnon's number 19 jumper and helped promote the Rise For Alex round. A radio commentator yesterday evening rightly suggested if the McKinnon's were so anti Cameron Smith - wouldn't someone have come forward and suggested he not be so heavily involved in the promotion of support?

You can't sit there and moan about the fact he is an excellent communicator which in turn allows him to speak to a referee. Would you prefer he grunts and swears like the majority of NRL players? Does that make him less of a grub?

Did he ask his friend to take the fall and accept a charge from the police for the incident?
Did he hit a guy blindside after being at market and serve a lengthy sentence that rubbed him out of the game?

Your argument will be that he is a grub because he gets away with things on the field that other players don't - pity the fact other players aren't capable of knowing how far the referee can be tested.

Let me put this to you -

2. Ken Nagas - NSW (State) Representative Player (future Super League International)
11. Jason Croker - NSW (State) Representative Player (future 2000 World Cup International).

In 1994, of the 13 players in the starting team - The Canberra Raiders had 2 State Players, 1 Fiji International, 3 NZ Internationals and 7 Australian Internationals.
Do you honestly think anyone in that team believed they played together just because they wanted to be part of a winning team and they were being paid unders?

It p*sses me off no end that keyboard warriors are fools lacking common sense. It is shameful that the brilliant career held by Cameron Smith in becoming widely regarded as the number 1 hooker in the game (passing Steve Walters) will be tarnished by gutter journalism and incessant fools who believe they have expert knowledge because they can rant in 140 characters or less.

End rant.
As his own manager he knowingly signed two contracts with the Storm, one was the "official" contract lodged with the NRL, the other was his extra payments outside the cap. He willingly and blatantly deceived the game. Has he ever apologised? Has he ever admitted wrongdoing? No. Cameron Smith has all the integrity of a dodgy used car salesman which means he has none!

Cameron Smith was also the architect of that scourge on our game, the wrestle. It was him and Bellamy that introduced it, that used it to inflict injury on opposition players and to become the so called powerhouse of a club.

Cameron Smith is a lying, two-faced, deceitful, devious **** with zero integrity. This latest episode holds no water for mine as it's a media snow job. But those of us that can remember father back than last week's articles know that Smith is far from the hero you worship.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Whilst I think smith is an absolute grub, this is a bit rough. I reckon it's a really poor look by the media and Alex McKinnon, I saw a snippet where he was "watching the footage for the first time" and the way he carries on is appalling.
McKinnon should not have ducked his head, that was absolutely the cause.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

I can't stand Cameron Smith, however I'm on his side this time.

He questioned the ref, as all captains do. How was he to know the seriousness of the situation and how the future was going to play out?

It's clear as hell that McKinnon ducked his head looking for a penalty. As sad as it is, he unfortunately received the ultimate penalty. The commentators said as much themselves.

A video is doing the rounds at the moment which clearly shows Smith ceasing talking to the ref until McKinnon was stretchered off. He also said he doesn't want to see this happen to anybody, however if the player didn't duck his head, the incident doesn't happen.

Ratings grab for 60 minutes in origin week that's all it is. They've gotten what they wanted, people are talking about their stupid show everywhere.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

**** even I defend Smith on this one, he did absolutely nothing wrong. Spoke to the ref for 30 seconds as Alex was being stretchered off not 8 minutes while Alex was on the ground as Alex claims.

Don't go blaming just 9 for the ratings grab, it's not a coincidence it coincides with Alex's book, I'm guessing it was his managers idea not 9s to help sell his book.

Ps Smith signed 3 contracts not 2
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Love4Noa wrote:

Let me put this to you -

End rant.
Great post :clap: :clap:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah im not huge fan of Cam Smith, he's a grub and absolute has some responsibility for the wrestle in the game, but the **** he cops is completely over the top. Especially regarding this McKinnon stuff.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

So what did Smith do that was so wrong?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The claims made in the show are in the book, it's what he and the family wanted to say. 60 minutes have simply replicated it in audio visual form. They have every right to to angry, upset, etc, and say what's on their minds, but others also have every right to assess whether what's being said is fair. The only person being attacked is Smith, unfairly in my view. They'd be better off focusing on the NRL's lack of adequate compensation.
Wayne
Sam Backo

Post by Wayne »

It's a marketing campaign. Nothing sells like controversy.

Smith was an easy target as he argued with the refs, the fact he was Melbourne,QLD and Australian captain, just made him a massive dollar sign.

Business takes victims and in this case, there are no winners, only losers. Sad really, this should not be a money spinner, it was simply just a terrible accident.
Last edited by Wayne on July 7, 2015, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

greeneyed wrote:The claims made in the show are in the book, it's what he and the family wanted to say. 60 minutes have simply replicated it in audio visual form. They have every right to to angry, upset, etc, and say what's on their minds, but others also have every right to assess whether what's being said is fair. The only person being attacked is Smith, unfairly in my view. They'd be better off focusing on the NRL's lack of adequate compensation.
Well I guess you would be delighted to know that the great Paul Gallen has come out and defended Smith vehemently.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If smith was a nswman I would call him a grub just like I do with Gallen.

But QLDers and their inability so through their own biases are well known and this thread is another example.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Smith is a grub but I'm on his side, glad he is boycotting channel 9 I hope this is the start of their downfall in public eye.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

papabear wrote:If smith was a nswman I would call him a grub just like I do with Gallen.

But QLDers and their inability so through their own biases are well known and this thread is another example.
The sheet volume of Smith haters who are defending him speaks volumes loud enough so maybe even you could heat it. Unfortunately the gap between hearing and comprehending is one you may struggle to traverse. Just because it's origin week does not make it a Qld vs NSW thing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

the green lantern wrote:
"Dear McKinnon family, sorry for putting 2 NRL points above the safety of your son....".
What the? Did they stop the medical attention because Smith said it shouldn't be a penalty?
ak47
Alan Tongue

Post by ak47 »

cam smiths pleading with the referee for consistency as clearly the same type of tackles were committed against his team and weren't called. he is also pleading his teams perspective so that mclean doesn't get sent off in a rash decision. thats what captain do, as i would like the raiders captain to do

there is nothing else to it whatsoever

edit - glad he is boycotting channel 9 - they don't deserve his attention at the moment
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote:
the green lantern wrote:
What the? Did they stop the medical attention because Smith said it shouldn't be a penalty?
Exactly and I said something earlier

Whatever Smith done it didnt impact what hapoened and how Alex got treated or the concern for him
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote:
papabear wrote:If smith was a nswman I would call him a grub just like I do with Gallen.

The sheet volume of Smith haters who are defending him speaks volumes loud enough so maybe even you could heat it. Unfortunately the gap between hearing and comprehending is one you may struggle to traverse. Just because it's origin week does not make it a Qld vs NSW thing.
The fact even I'm supporting Smith says it all, I am curious though if it was Gallen in his shoes if Qlders would be doing the same :hmmm
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Manbush wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

The fact even I'm supporting Smith says it all, I am curious though if it was Gallen in his shoes if Qlders would be doing the same :hmmm
Of course we would. The reason I call Gallen a grub is because of his list of charges including sticking his fingers in the cut of another player n trying to rip it open more.
But in the same situation I'd be on his side, with out a doubt
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Love4Noa wrote:

5. State bias againstW Cameron Smith and his abilities and/or being the captain of the Melbourne Storm during the salary cap should not impact on persons suggesting he is a grub. Mal Meninga was the captain of the Canberra Raiders during the 1990-1991 seasons when the Raiders were found guilty of salary cap indiscretions. I trust those criticising Smith and presuming he was aware of the process are also equally aggressive towards Meninga.

Let me put this to you -

End rant.
Half cut so I'm going with this. :thumbsup
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Well said L4N!

Whilst we are on the topic of Smith, can someone explain to me how he was the architect behind all the 'wrestle'? Legitimate question because I see him blamed for it frequently and I'm not sure why, quite possibly because I missed something.

I admit I have no idea what goes on at the Storm training sessions but I always imagined Bellamy or some other coaching staff had seen the benefit teams had when they won the ruck and decided to bring in a specialised wrestling coach to teach the whole team, techniques and holds designed to dominate players and win said ruck. Was Smith the wrestling coach, was he involved in some other way I don't know of or is it just because he is captain of the team?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I think he's a BJJ black belt which is what they originally trained in but I'm not sure if he got it before or after the Storm introduced it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The crap that Smith has copped over this is unfair and unwarranted, but you're kidding yourself Love4Noa claiming that Smith isn't a grub and comparing Smiths involvement in the Storm salary cap breech to the 1990 Raiders players. Smith was acting as his own manager when he signed three contracts of differing values.

Like I said, the criticism of him in regards to this is unfair. On a side note could you imagine the outcry by some on here if it was Gallen in Smiths position?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Manchild wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The claims made in the show are in the book, it's what he and the family wanted to say. 60 minutes have simply replicated it in audio visual form. They have every right to to angry, upset, etc, and say what's on their minds, but others also have every right to assess whether what's being said is fair. The only person being attacked is Smith, unfairly in my view. They'd be better off focusing on the NRL's lack of adequate compensation.
Well I guess you would be delighted to know that the great Paul Gallen has come out and defended Smith vehemently.
On a fake facebook account
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's an aside really, but as I understood it, the Storm players signed more than one agreement, not two or three comprehensive agreements with different values. It is why the NRL did not punish the players.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They punished all of the player managers involved. All but Smith's.