Moderator: GH Moderators

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Re: Ask the Raiders

Post by -GD- »

Hi Ben,

Something I've always wondered.

Does the club have footage of every game the Raiders have ever played?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hi Ben,

Does Peter Mullholland look at the NRL competition for players or has the club decided on a strategy to look externally?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:Hi Ben,

Does Peter Mullholland look at the NRL competition for players or has the club decided on a strategy to look externally?
Allow me to rephrase.

Why aren't we signing any genuine depth, or nrl experienced players?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote:When are the last 6 rounds out?

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner said on Saturday we'd know this by the end of the month.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Here's the latest answers from Ben to your questions... thanks to him as usual for taking the time.

Can I remind everyone that questions need to be in polite form - and be vaguely sensible! - if I'm to submit them to the club?

1. We heard from Don Furner the Raiders' requests for the draw for next year will go in soon. What sort of requests do the Raiders make and do the Raiders ask to avoid long weekends?

We definitely ask to avoid any major events in Canberra (Eg Skyfire) and possible clashes with Brumbies and GWS matches. You can request to avoid long weekends as well, but sometimes there's no alternative but to have a home match on some of these weekends.

2. A lot of Sydney clubs' members who use ANZ Stadium as a home ground are getting free entry when they play another team "away" at the venue. Considering how many clubs use ANZ Stadium that's a lot of free games. Is there any chance of Raiders' members getting deals for cheaper tickets in Sydney?

I've answered this one before. We contact every away club each year and ask for a discounted ticket option for members. Sometimes we are successful in receiving a discount like we have with a few games this year and sometimes the club don't offer them. It's up to the individual club to decide if they are willing to offer discounts.

The ANZ situation is unique as because these clubs co-share the venue, they are able to make these offers to their supporters.

3. There were no functions for members in Queensland this year. Is there any chance there'll be some in 2018?

Can't confirm this yet. Will depend on the draw, where and when we play etc.

4. Back in 2001 the Raiders had a giant jumper which was kept at the Tuggeranong Hyperdrome for a week for fans to sign. Does the club know what happened to it?

No idea sorry. I remember it but no one knows where it ended up.

5. Given the number of close losses this year, what sort of work does the club do to prepare for these situations? Does the club use sports psychologists?

I'm not really sure how to answer this one as its more of a coaching question. I do know the players and coaching staff are fully aware that they've lost some close matches this year and address this in their team meetings and weekly reviews into matches. We don't use a sports psychologist.

6. Something I've always wondered: Does the club have footage of every game the Raiders have ever played?

We do have vision of a number of games but not all of them. NRL Films are in the process of trying to catalogue as many premiership games as they can for the game's historical records and we've been working with them to try and provide what we have for their collection.

We actually have a large number of VHS tapes that were owned by Les McIntyre which need converting into digital format.
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Cheers Ben.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

That's good to hear about the Rugby League Films expanding their catalogue. They are currently closed but I hope they make this available to purchase on DVD etc
In Ricky We Trust
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote:5. Given the number of close losses this year, what sort of work does the club do to prepare for these situations? Does the club use sports psychologists?I'm not really sure how to answer this one as its more of a coaching question. I do know the players and coaching staff are fully aware that they've lost some close matches this year and address this in their team meetings and weekly reviews into matches. We don't use a sports psychologist.
Surely this can't be correct? We'll fork out 10's of $1000s for players to spend the night in hotel rooms and we'll charter flights to Newcastle but we don't use a sports psychologist.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:4. Back in 2001 the Raiders had a giant jumper which was kept at the Tuggeranong Hyperdrome for a week for fans to sign. Does the club know what happened to it?

No idea sorry. I remember it but no one knows where it ended up.
I'm pretty sure it just became Tilse's playing jersey
greeneyed wrote:5. Given the number of close losses this year, what sort of work does the club do to prepare for these situations? Does the club use sports psychologists?

I'm not really sure how to answer this one as its more of a coaching question. I do know the players and coaching staff are fully aware that they've lost some close matches this year and address this in their team meetings and weekly reviews into matches. We don't use a sports psychologist.
Reassuring to know. I think there would be a different series of questions if they were oblivious to it.
greeneyed wrote:6. Something I've always wondered: Does the club have footage of every game the Raiders have ever played?

We do have vision of a number of games but not all of them. NRL Films are in the process of trying to catalogue as many premiership games as they can for the game's historical records and we've been working with them to try and provide what we have for their collection.

We actually have a large number of VHS tapes that were owned by Les McIntyre which need converting into digital format.
Do we need to confirm that the tapes are of NRL games?

Ben,
Not Raiders related, but I want to know your thoughts.
If you started eating yourself, by the time you finished would you weigh the same, or double in size?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

If you started eating yourself, by the time you finished would you weigh the same, or double in size?
:roflmao :roflmao
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
greeneyed wrote:5. Given the number of close losses this year, what sort of work does the club do to prepare for these situations? Does the club use sports psychologists?I'm not really sure how to answer this one as its more of a coaching question. I do know the players and coaching staff are fully aware that they've lost some close matches this year and address this in their team meetings and weekly reviews into matches. We don't use a sports psychologist.
Surely this can't be correct? We'll fork out 10's of $1000s for players to spend the night in hotel rooms and we'll charter flights to Newcastle but we don't use a sports psychologist.
Don't need none of that wishy washy mumbo jumbo!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 7bce7850ad
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ben's lost lots of weight, BTW.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:Ben's lost lots of weight, BTW.
Yeah I have noticed that !

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Must of been the new gym Sticky installed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You get the impression that Ben doesn't really enjoy answering these questions.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Dr Zaius wrote:You get the impression that Ben doesn't really enjoy answering these questions.
Absolutely :lol:
We don't use a sports psychologist, that's stupid. Our biggest issue is mentality.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

CJ42 wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:You get the impression that Ben doesn't really enjoy answering these questions.
Absolutely Image
We don't use a sports psychologist, that's stupid. Our biggest issue is mentality.
Where's the big shirt?
How the **** would I know?

ANZ Membership?
I've already **** answered this. Can't you **** read?
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Dr Zaius wrote:
CJ42 wrote:
Absolutely Image
Where's the big shirt?
How the **** would I know?

ANZ Membership?
I've already **** answered this. Can't you **** read?
Sports psychologist? What the ****? I'm the media manager, not the head of football.
Why don't you do an "ask the raiders coaching staff", for **** sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Come on guys. Ben takes time out of his pretty busy day to answer these questions. He doesn't really have to, but he has done it to help build a good relationship with the fans... Some of the questions asked... he is on a hiding to nothing attempting to answer them... some he can't really answer because they're questions for the coach or players.

Some of the questions put are impolite or passive aggressive to boot. I do my best to make them polite. Let's give him a break. Up to the posters to decide if they value this very good access to the club...
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

thanks Ben, its great to see this connection between the club and the fans
Vaccinated
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Hey I'm not knocking the guy, just making the observation that he doesn't seem that keen on the whole thing
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

ImageImage

Hey Ben,

Any chance we can see banners like the above around Canberra next season? I know it costs and depends on the government laws but would be great to see more Raiders advertising around the city.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Those banners are around all sorts of Brisbane suburban shopping areas as well.

Governments typically come to the party with this sort of thing, through events corporations. You see them in Sydney as well. The ACT Government should be doing much more to promote the Raiders as an event and as a reason to come to Canberra and as a quintessential event to attend if you're a tourist.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

100%green wrote:ImageImage

Hey Ben,

Any chance we can see banners like the above around Canberra next season? I know it costs and depends on the government laws but would be great to see more Raiders advertising around the city.

I agree. It would be great to see Broncos banners around Canberra
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Dr Zaius wrote:
100%green wrote:ImageImage

Hey Ben,

I agree. It would be great to see Broncos banners around Canberra
I would be disgusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Hello Ben

Why don't we employ a sports psychologist?

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hello Ben,
Is Blake Austin in a happy place ? Feeling the love ?

Has he had a falling out with BJ ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Hi Ben,

I was going to write this earlier, but I figured the message would be lost amongst the expletives so I decided to wait until now. Like many others from Canberra and beyond, I have been a passionate supporter for countless years and over those years invested thousands upon thousands of dollars into this club via memberships, travel, attendance and especially merchandise. Throughout those years I have only ever asked for one thing in return, a club to actually try their best to win the competition.

We have over the years had great teams, mediocre teams, very bad teams and staff/management that ranged accordingly. During the early 2000's we struggled for quality players etc and when we lost, we supporters took it, as those Canberra players wore their hearts on their sleeves and gave a proper dig regardless of their lack of talent and ability. We saw good players come then go just as quickly. We saw coaches look for early exits etc, we were a garbage fire, but it was OUR garbage fire.

Then we reached the 2010's. We built better teams. Teams with quality, teams that could win, and we continued to be mediocre. This time not because of lack of talent, but lack of coaching ability. We extended Furner, who wasn't a first grade coach and has never seen the top job since. He offered very little and we went no where because of it. Just when we thought we were seeing light at the end of the tunnel, you go and sign Ricky Stuart.

Ricky Stuart. What can I say that isn't already being spewed with hate filled venom everywhere already tonight? Ricky Stuart, the guy who historically gets the best out of his team's then systematically destroys them. The very guy that took a salary cap exempt Roosters to a wooden spoon. The very guy that built the Sharks, got his players playing well, then took them to the spoon again. Then what do we do? We sign him because the Canberra Raiders cannot help but be the most nepotistic organisation on the face of the earth.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is the case, the real definition of insanity is supporting the Canberra Raiders, or better yet, Ricky Stuart. He took our young players and made them great. We were for the first time since Ricky was a player, a premiership threat. We had ability, skill, passion and loyalty in every position. But Ricky is Ricky. Ricky cannot adapt. We won games with players at their best and almost made the grand final.

Last year was our year. Because in typical Ricky fashion, he peaked. He got his players to their best. Then everyone else learned how to play against us. But Ricky can't adapt. And here we are. Ricky making excuses in press conferences about how teams now aim up, they compete, they build their defence to kill our attack. What does Ricky do, should we ask the Roosters, or shall we ask the Sharks? Ricky does nothing. Ricky blames refs, he blames teams getting better, blames young players not being ready, blames lack of cohesion. Ricky never blames himself. He never accepts that he should be ahead of the curve and getting his players to the next level. Does Bellamy or Bennett do that? No they get better when the opposition does. Not Ricky.

Anyway, I got off track a little, my point is that how are we here again? How are we back re-signing a guy early, that has the background he has, before he proves last year wasn't a fluke? We are lost out there every week, we have no spark, no control, no patience and no composure. Yet you extend the very guy responsible for this mess. The players of course are also responsible, but the buck stops with Ricky. When as an organisation are you going to say enough is enough and take **** seriously rather than just line up jobs for the boys? When will you genuinely try and win a premiership for us long suffering fans?

Surely as a professional football club you would want that too?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Welcome back :D

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tl;Dr

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

GE my question was a serious one, why wasn't it asked. About who coaches Sezar and Austin.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dreaming09 wrote:GE my question was a serious one, why wasn't it asked. About who coaches Sezar and Austin.
What question was that again?

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who coaches the halves was the question

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

greeneyed wrote:
dreaming09 wrote:GE my question was a serious one, why wasn't it asked. About who coaches Sezar and Austin.
What question was that again?

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Who coaches Sezar and Austin
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.