Ask the Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ask the Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Ask the Raiders

In 2011, we established an "Ask the Raiders" thread... so as to enable questions from the members of The Greenhouse to be put to the club HQ. The thread aims for some good communication between the fans and the club, to clarify any misinformation that is out there, and maybe help fix people's problems or issues as well.

Ben Pollack at the Raiders helps us with these question, but of course, there are no guarantees that he or others at the club will be able to answer every question that we send in.

When we have a reasonable body of questions to send in, we'll do so. The Administrators will decide which questions we forward on to the club... and we won't be sending a lot of questions like... "Why do the Raiders keep selecting "player X", he's hopeless!". We'll be sending the sensible, well thought through questions, where the members of the site have a real desire to find out what's happening and why.

Here's the first instalment, for questions put so far over the off season. Thanks to Ben for his answers!

1. When will tickets go on sale for the trial at Griffith between the Raiders and the Storm? Who will be selling them?

Should be very soon. They were supposed to be set up before Christmas but there's been a hold up by the event organisers. As soon as we have information we'll communicate it to members and supporters. It will be through Pro Ticket.

2. Will there be any internet live video streaming of the trials, as there was last year from the Melbourne trial?

No there won't be. There's various reasons for this which I won't go into, but unfortunately there will be no streaming of either trial. We are in conversation with both ABC and 2CC to do radio calls of the Knights trial in Queanbeyan.

3. Will there be a members day prior to the season kick off?

Yes. The date for this is also being finalised as there is a very hectic schedule leading into the season (Nines, All-Stars, Trial matches). Most likely it will be the Saturday before the first home game. This will be confirmed in the next week.

4. Are the tickets for the Seiffert trial general admission and will there be any access to the grandstand?

All tickets are general admission. There will be a limited amount of seats available in the grandstand, but they will be available on a first come, first serve basis.

5. When will the Auckland Nines squad be announced?

At this stage we will be looking to do it sometime in the next two weeks. Once we confirm it with the NRL we will provide details of when it will be announced.

6. Just wanted to say thank you for all the updates. Haven't had a lot of time recently, but absolutely loving all things the club is doing with regards to the new players and pre season training. The magazine, photos, updates about the top 3 in each category, interviews etc. are all going down a treat. Thanks very much to all involved.

No problem. We're really making a concerted effort to make raiders.com.au a better source of information!

7. Is there an updated membership count for season 2015?

I don't have a specific number. I know we were ahead of where we were at the corresponding time last year. It's around 4000.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ask the Raiders 2015

Post by greeneyed »

I believe there's no live streaming because Telstra has exclusive rights for online games, they kicked up a fuss after last year's trial from Melbourne.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

GE, could you please tell Ben that Jarrod Croker better be playing in the 9s or I could be facing a mutiny before I even get to New Zealand??
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Could you also please ask if I can redeem my two outside ACT members pack tickets at Canberra home games? I was going to go to Saturday night Sydney games, but there isn't any that suit.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Membership questions are best put to the membership team, you'll get a faster answer. reception@raiders.com.au
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
6. Just wanted to say thank you for all the updates. Haven't had a lot of time recently, but absolutely loving all things the club is doing with regards to the new players and pre season training. The magazine, photos, updates about the top 3 in each category, interviews etc. are all going down a treat. Thanks very much to all involved.

No problem. We're really making a concerted effort to make raiders.com.au a better source of information!
They should be pleased with their efforts to make raiders.com.au the second best source of Raiders information on the net.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

They should be pleased with their efforts to make raiders.com.au the second best source of Raiders information on the net.
Oh no he di-int.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm certain everyone, including TR, is very grateful to Ben, and he's just joking around.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Equal parts grateful and parochial

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

And 1/3 just being a jerk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Updates on a couple of questions from Ben:

1. Griffith trial tickets are now on sale http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/01/ ... _tria.html

2. Nines team being announced at 11am this Saturday at Jersey's Megastore. Members to get 20% off merchandise from 12.00pm-1.00pm
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

If Jason Croker was called toots, and Jarrod is toots jnr what does lachlan want to be called?
Vaccinated
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

cat wrote:If Jason Croker was called toots, and Jarrod is toots jnr what does lachlan want to be called?
Tootles?

* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Green Wizard
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: The Italian stallion( Vaughn)

Post by Green Wizard »

Can raiders members attend raiders training sessions? If yes, what days and times can we attend training?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some answers from Ben, thanks again to him for helping out!

1. Can Raiders members attend Raiders training sessions? If yes, what days and times can we attend?

Yes they can. They are asked to email membership@raiders.com.au to confirm a time to come and watch as training session times as they differ from week to week

2. Will the Raiders have open training in Auckland in the lead up to the Nines? Will there be any other public appearances apart from the fan zone on Friday?

No we won't. Our only public appearance for the event will be at the Fan day on Friday. This will be for the whole squad.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Any chance of getting a live stream of the trial at Seiffert Oval?

as you may be aware the Storm vs Raiders one was on tonight
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders don't have the equipment...
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote:The Raiders don't have the equipment...
How hard would it be to acquire it.

Im sure they would record footage for their own purposes
Green Wizard
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: The Italian stallion( Vaughn)

Post by Green Wizard »

I very highly doubt that....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha yeah, what would GE know, Whiz??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raidersrawesome wrote:

It's not the recording part, they do their own footage for the 20's gameday..

It would be the ability to stream it
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

and there is still the issue of the NRL\telstra not wanting it to happen
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersrawesome wrote:

The club's told us they don't have the equipment. However, as we know from the Griffith trial, there are strong incentives for the clubs to hold back information that a trial will be streamed until just before the match, so as to maximise ticket sales. If it is streamed, it'll probably be announced half an hour before, or something like that.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Hi Ben

Does the top 25 in regards to the salary cap have to be locked in at any time ? for example before round 1

With Hawkins new contract , does that push him into the top 25 ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks to Ben for his answers, as usual!

1. What is the precise schedule for the trial match on Saturday? When will gates open? What are the warm up games and will they be Round 2 junior reps?

It's going to be a big day out at Seiffert with three matches to be played.

2.45pm: Gates Open
3.00pm: Raiders v Rabbitohs Harold Matthews
4.30pm: Raiders v Rabbitohs S.G Ball
6.30pm: Raiders v Knights NRL Trial

2. What transport options are there to Seiffert Oval? Will there be buses from the Raiders' or other licensed clubs?

Queanbeyan City Council are organising buses to and from the venue. Once we have the information we will put it up on our website.

3. Will there be a live stream of the Seiffert trial on line?

Won't be happening unfortunately. $10 for a ticket and come and see it live! But I understand some people are not from the Canberra district. QBN FM will be calling the match. You can listen live at http://www.qbn967.com.au/

4. When is the top 25 squad finalised for salary cap purposes for each year? For example, would Jeremy Hawkins' new contract deal put him in the top 25 for 2015?

The time on when its finalised does vary as players can move in and out based on upgrade/extensions etc. Jeremy's new deal is for 2016/17 where he will be in the top 25. At the moment though he's still part of the second tier cap.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Thanks Ben

The Salary cap just keeps getting a bigger **** fight
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: 4. When is the top 25 squad finalised for salary cap purposes for each year? For example, would Jeremy Hawkins' new contract deal put him in the top 25 for 2015?

The time on when its finalised does vary as players can move in and out based on upgrade/extensions etc. Jeremy's new deal is for 2016/17 where he will be in the top 25. At the moment though he's still part of the second tier cap.
That's how i figured it was going to go. Which leads me to think Rapana is definitely going to get first crack at the wing spot.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Pigman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: 4. When is the top 25 squad finalised for salary cap purposes for each year? For example, would Jeremy Hawkins' new contract deal put him in the top 25 for 2015?

That's how i figured it was going to go. Which leads me to think Rapana is definitely going to get first crack at the wing spot.
If they are neck and neck I can see the reasoning behind that decision.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

100% agree. If it's that close, we should use guys in our 25 first and allow flexibility in our 2nd tier cap down the stretch.
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Ask the Raiders 2015

Post by SirMcSquid »

Pigman wrote:

Get on it

banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Post by SirMcSquid »

I'm going to be so pissed if Bill Tupou ends up on the wing

Member - #8231
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No thanks. Even if he starts every game, i doubt he ends up as our top try scorer. Croker or Waqa will get it
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Ask the Raiders 2015

Post by SirMcSquid »

Pigman wrote:No thanks. Even if he starts every game, i doubt he ends up as our top try scorer. Croker or Waqa will get it
Croker and Waqa would be front runners, yes, but I think Rapana is better than $51-1 odds. Especially with injuries etc.

Anyways, thanks Ben.

Member - #8231
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

i jumped on. at odds like that, if he scores the wing gig hes a good chance. odds far too juicy
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh boy!! It's like free money!!