2014 Rd 18 V Titans: Game Day and Post Match

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans?

Raiders 13+
42%
Raiders 1-12
33%
Draw
No votes
Titans 1-12
8%
Titans 13+
17%

Total votes: 12

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Robina Stadium
Sunday July 13, 2:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox Sports live
ABC radio

Last weekend the Raiders had the bye. The upside: two competition points! The downside: the Raiders are still equal last on the competition ladder.

Did the weekend off give Raiders fans long enough to forget the disappointment of a one point last up loss to the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown? Sadly not. The Raiders toiled hard, yet again, in Round 16, but no cigar. The Wests Tigers had so many injuries in the game that it looked like they might even struggle to put 13 men on the field. Canberra had its own injury concerns, but nothing like the men in black and gold. The Raiders had opportunity after opportunity to seal the game in the second half, but their attack was blunt and never threatened. And when it came to field goal time, Canberra could not organise one, but the Wests Tigers could, courtesy of Braith Anasta. It was a game that should have been won by Canberra, but was not. The Wests Tigers hoodoo struck, yet again. 19-18 the final score.

In Round 18, the Raiders go on the road to the Gold Coast. Canberra does not have a great record against the lastest Gold Coast franchise. The Raiders have won just five of 15 matches against the Titans since the Gold Coast re-entered the competition in 2007; just one of the last five matches. The Raiders have played seven games against the Titans on the Coast, winning just once, in 2012. Of course, it's a lot better story for Canberra if we take into account the record against the previous incarnations of the Gold Coast: the Raiders won 15 of 17 games between 1988 and 1998.

The Titans themselves have been in woeful recent form in 2014, and up until Monday night were on a six game losing streak. They won ugly, very ugly, against South Sydney in their last clash (LLLLW form line, 12th on the ladder). The Raiders have a WLLLL form line (15th on the ladder). Worryingly for Canberra, the Titans employed exactly the same tactics on Monday night that they used against the Raiders earlier in the year at Canberra Stadium. The tactics? Stand off side, lie in the ruck all game. The referees can't penalise every infringement. The Titans would no doubt now be much more confident. They are $1.60 favourites; the Raiders $2.35 outsiders.

Canberra has lost Jack Wighton to a broken thumb, so two game veteran Brenko Lee moves to the centres. Jeremy Hawkins was named for his debut, on the wing, but that's now been prevented by the NRL, due to salary cap issues. Reece Robinson comes into the squad for Hawkins. Sami Sauiluma returns in place of Matt Allwood, after recovering from an eye injury. Coach Ricky Stuart has stuck with an under performing halves combination, while hooker Kurt Baptiste has retained his place on the bench after making his Raiders debut in Round 16. Joel Edwards has been included on an extended bench.

The Titans had three players involved in Origin III: Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor. All were named in an extended squad of 21. But Bird won't play, after he took an early plea on a dangerous lifting tackle charge on Myles in the Origin match. Myles was charged for an elbow to the throat of Bird in Origin III, but can take the field with an early plea. Let's hope Taylor does play, and he brings his handling skills from Origin back to this match. Winger David Mead was was named in the team, but it now appears he is out for three to four weeks with a hamstring. Albert Kelly (calf injury) is also in doubt, but likely to play.

Our tip: Canberra Raiders by 2 in a tough, grinding game. The Raiders luck has to turn soon!

Canberra Raiders

1. Anthony Milford 2. Reece Robinson 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Brenko Lee 5. Sami Sauiluma 6. Terry Campese 7. Josh McCrone 8. David Shillington 9. Glen Buttriss 10. Brett White 11. Josh Papalii 12. Jarrad Kennedy 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Paul Vaughan 16. Dane Tilse 17. Shannon Boyd 18. Joel Edwards

Gold Coast Titans

1. William Zillman 2. Kevin Gordon 3. James Roberts 4. Brad Takairangi 5. David Mead 6. Maurice Blair 7. Daniel Mortimer 8. Luke Bailey 9. Beau Falloon 10. Luke Douglas 11. Greg Bird 12. Mark Minichiello 13. Paul Carter

14. Matt White 15. Dave Taylor 16. Nate Myles 17. Albert Kelly 18. Cody Nelson 19. Mark Ioane 20. Matt Srama 21. Tom Kingston

Officials

Referees: Jared Maxwell, Dave Munro
Touch judges: Adam Reid, Ricky MacFarlane
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Steve Folkes

Official Match Hashtags: #NRLGLDCAN #NRL #WeareRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #COYR2014 #WearGreen2014 #GreenNation #GreenMachine #CanberraRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2014 Rd 18 V Titans: Game Day and Post Match

Post by -PJ- »

i have a good feeling about this game.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Lol I don't....
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

green94 wrote:i have a good feeling about this game.
:thumbsup
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Raiders Lim! wrote:
Hawkins had a good feeling about this game too.... I doubt he does now though....
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Aero wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:
Hawkins had a good feeling about this game too.... I doubt he does now though....
:cry:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders Lim! wrote:
Aero wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:
Party pooper Aero
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Matt wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:
Aero wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:
Party pooper Aero
hehe sorry matt.. Seeing Hawkins named was a faint light in this bleak season, and then to just see it get snuffed out... I guess with how the season's been goin, we shouldn't have been surprised
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Aero wrote:
Matt wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:
Aero wrote: Hawkins had a good feeling about this game too.... I doubt he does now though....
Party pooper Aero
hehe sorry matt.. Seeing Hawkins named was a faint light in this bleak season, and then to just see it get snuffed out... I guess with how the season's been goin, we shouldn't have been surprised
Totally agree mate. The NRL should be applauding the use of youth not hindering it. This is one of those things that should be part of the juniors concession. Get a 'graduates' allowance per yr. So, say 1 or 2 players can graduate to the NRL from u20s without affecting the 2nd Tier cap. This means the likes of Cornish, who graduated, but is part of the top 25 doesnt count, but the likes of Hawkins or Cronin or Ahearn, who were all maybes at the start of the yr, can come into the side without affecting the cap. Where as Boyd, Allwood, Sami or JK, who area least 2 yrs out, do count. Not sure how you work players coming up straight out of u20s, eg Milf. Do they count to the NRL Cap if they were part of the u20s Cap? Maybe an u20s player is 1 of you 2 'free' graduates, or perhaps you get 1 free u20s player and 1 'free' grad?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Matt wrote:
Aero wrote:
Matt wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:
Aero wrote: Hawkins had a good feeling about this game too.... I doubt he does now though....
Party pooper Aero
Totally agree mate. The NRL should be applauding the use of youth not hindering it. This is one of those things that should be part of the juniors concession. Get a 'graduates' allowance per yr. So, say 1 or 2 players can graduate to the NRL from u20s without affecting the 2nd Tier cap. This means the likes of Cornish, who graduated, but is part of the top 25 doesnt count, but the likes of Hawkins or Cronin or Ahearn, who were all maybes at the start of the yr, can come into the side without affecting the cap. Where as Boyd, Allwood, Sami or JK, who area least 2 yrs out, do count. Not sure how you work players coming up straight out of u20s, eg Milf. Do they count to the NRL Cap if they were part of the u20s Cap? Maybe an u20s player is 1 of you 2 'free' graduates, or perhaps you get 1 free u20s player and 1 'free' grad?
I don't think guys coming a year out from your own under 20's should count at all. They should all be allowed to play, It's not like we have Smith on three contracts or buying Inglis a bloody boat. Where trying to blood a kids so we can be competitive in the future.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Lord Funkington
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia Soliola

Post by Lord Funkington »

I hope we win. That would be cool.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

And different
Lord Funkington
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia Soliola

Post by Lord Funkington »

Jason wrote:
Matt wrote:
Aero wrote:
Matt wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote: :cry:
Party pooper Aero
Gotta love a comp that forces a team to play out of form or favour players in place of new blood to excite the fan base and build dor the future. Long live the NRL.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Lord Funkington wrote:I hope we win. That would be different.
Fixed
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Yep, our Salary cap is an issue but what Brisbane is doing is perfectly fine,

Good work NRL!

Btw couldn't we just name a bunch of players as 'injured' so we only have 16 available players..

Surely the NRL would allow the debut then..

Just have to do it over 2 weeks so it's not sus.. Then a player can do a hammy during the warm up and Hawkins can come in out of the stands.. :cool:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Schifty wrote:Yep, our Salary cap is an issue but what Brisbane is doing is perfectly fine,

Good work NRL!

Btw couldn't we just name a bunch of players as 'injured' so we only have 16 available players..

Surely the NRL would allow the debut then..

Just have to do it over 2 weeks so it's not sus.. Then a player can do a hammy during the warm up and Hawkins can come in out of the stands.. :cool:
Knowing the NRL they would make them do medicals to prove they are 'injured'
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Good to see a decent ref in Maxwell doing one of our games. He is as slow as a wet week nowadays but he has much better judgement than the rest, especially the idiots we usually get. He might even make the Titans get off the tackle pile in less than a minute!
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

@TonyWebeck: Kalifa Faifai Loa to step in for David Mead on Titans right wing tomorrow, ahead of Anthony Don. Myles and Taylor will both play.
Green.Hornet
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Campo

Post by Green.Hornet »

Does anyone know if you can use todays Gold Coast Bulletin for the $10 ticket offer or does it need to be the paper from earlier in the week?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Green.Hornet wrote:Does anyone know if you can use todays Gold Coast Bulletin for the $10 ticket offer or does it need to be the paper from earlier in the week?
There is a banner on top of the front page with the offer , so if thats there you use that.
Green.Hornet
Peter Jackson

Post by Green.Hornet »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
Green.Hornet wrote:Does anyone know if you can use todays Gold Coast Bulletin for the $10 ticket offer or does it need to be the paper from earlier in the week?
There is a banner on top of the front page with the offer , so if thats there you use that.

So if I drive up today I will be able to buy the paper and get in for $10?

Can't really afford to make a day of it unless I can get in on the cheap.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Green.Hornet wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

So if I drive up today I will be able to buy the paper and get in for $10?

Can't really afford to make a day of it unless I can get in on the cheap.
I dont know whats on todays paper , so I cant say its there.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

This refers to yesterdays paper but couldnt see anything about todays

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/spo ... 6986179682

Edit: Could even be that its just a weekend Bully , if thats the case then it would be for today too
Green.Hornet
Peter Jackson

Post by Green.Hornet »

Raidersrawesome wrote:This refers to yesterdays paper but couldnt see anything about todays

Edit: Could even be that its just a weekend Bully , if thats the case then it would be for today too

Yeah cheers man, I think they just do a weekend edition so it should be sweet.

First game in almost 3 years, been overseas. Pumped!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Green.Hornet wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:This refers to yesterdays paper but couldnt see anything about todays

Yeah cheers man, I think they just do a weekend edition so it should be sweet.

First game in almost 3 years, been overseas. Pumped!
I think its is , I never buy it
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can't wait for some footy.

Have a dig today boys...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

It's the only game I'll get to go to this year, hopefully we can jag a win!
pibble89
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Chikka and sully

Post by pibble89 »

A win today would be awesome..... Go the Green Machine
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

green94 wrote:Can't wait for some footy.

Have a dig today boys...
Thats all we ever ask for
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

At the station heading to the game. Regardless of how crap we've been going it'll be great to see the Raiders play live. :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Northern Raider wrote:At the station heading to the game. Regardless of how crap we've been going it'll be great to see the Raiders play live. :cmon
Damn straight it will be :D, can't wait
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Big win coming up today for the raiders. Can feel it in my bones.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Decent chance for a win today.

So we should keep them with 12

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Its bloody warm in the sun

A few degrees cooler than last year lol
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Begbie wrote:Big win coming up today for the raiders. Can feel it in my bones.
I've got a feeling you're right. Predicting an away win, just to build us up for the next home game... Then we'll lose.

EDIT: Holden cup defence looks like our FG squad.