Moderator: GH Moderators

tubs
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Milford

Re: Tedesco backflips on Raiders deal, stays with Tigers

Post by tubs »

Jason wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote:I wish him no ill either, but I honestly think we dodged a bullet.

I've been thinking about our "miss list" from a few weeks ago, and that may turn out to be a good thing (except Mansour who I really rate).

Proctor is not worth $700k per season. If we land Symonds for $350k we still get a bloody handy backrower.

Ennis is over 30 and his best days are behind him. He relies on niggle and "gamesmanship" to earn the upper hand. I say lets look to Cronin for the #14 jersey in 2015. This kid can play anywhere for less than Ennis $500k per season and with ten years ahead of him.

Tedesco. Brilliant talent, but as Michael would say he's made of balsa wood. At $2.1 million we've saved ourselves more with his medical cost.

We haven't stepped out of the shadows in to a huge pile of dog **** put it that way.

However, we DO need to recruit some honest, hardworking and reliable players. Tom Symonds would be the sort of "moneyball" player I'd pursue.
Agree in general. Also think we've dodged a bullet with Milford. Despite his obvious gifts I don't think he's worth the money we were looking at paying to keep him.
I wouldn't say we've dodged a bullet with Milf just yet, if he can transfer his skills into a FG 5/8 he'll be worth every penny. I know there's an if in there but players like him done come along very often. Time will tell.

Bit tough on the kid most of the injury he has had last couple seasons at tigers could have happened to anyone
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Karma got the asswipe good, suck **** for trying to take Campese out
Dog act and good result
May the fleas of a thousand camels rest on your balls
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

:lol: thats pretty funny, I agree he was trying his hardest to blindside campo and he did get instant retribution. I did chuckle, I dont wish bad things upon him but if you line someone up with an obviously set piece to establish dominance then I will chuckle when you fail miserably
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote:I wish him no ill either, but I honestly think we dodged a bullet.

I've been thinking about our "miss list" from a few weeks ago, and that may turn out to be a good thing (except Mansour who I really rate).

Proctor is not worth $700k per season. If we land Symonds for $350k we still get a bloody handy backrower.

Ennis is over 30 and his best days are behind him. He relies on niggle and "gamesmanship" to earn the upper hand. I say lets look to Cronin for the #14 jersey in 2015. This kid can play anywhere for less than Ennis $500k per season and with ten years ahead of him.

Tedesco. Brilliant talent, but as Michael would say he's made of balsa wood. At $2.1 million we've saved ourselves more with his medical cost.

We haven't stepped out of the shadows in to a huge pile of dog **** put it that way.

However, we DO need to recruit some honest, hardworking and reliable players. Tom Symonds would be the sort of "moneyball" player I'd pursue.
Agree in general. Also think we've dodged a bullet with Milford. Despite his obvious gifts I don't think he's worth the money we were looking at paying to keep him.
Good post Dubby.

I was happy we signed Tedesco, but there was always that huge element of risk with him. After last weekend's injury my upset around his backflipping has certainly subsided. I think any Raiders fan who says they didn't have a quiet chuckle when he injured himself trying to prove a point and take out Campo in that first tackle is kidding themselves.

Milford was never worth the money we put to him - especially considering all that other off-field crap he and his manager carried on with during the negotiations. We needed that rubbish like another hole in the head. Good riddance to him.

Proctor was also never worth the money put to him. That was a ridiculous pile of cash for a one dimensional back rower. Someone like Symonds is far better value.

All that being said, it doesn't excuse our poor recruitment this season or the fact we have a bunch of good kids waiting in the wings to get a decent opportunity.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hahah, yeah i agree guys.
I couldnt be happier that we're going into 2015 without Tedesco, Ennis, Proctor and Mansaur.

:lol:
Next level banter.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Mansour was certainly a big loss for us as he was exactly the type of player we need on the wing. Ennis would also have been an upgrade and the style of grub our pack needs, despite being at the **** end of his career, I won't dispute that. But I still couldn't care less about Proctor or Milford, and Tedesco was always going to be a risky proposition.

We've got a crapload of cash and are desperate for a decent hooker, half, second rower, fullback and winger to bolster this squad. Maybe that Hodgson bloke from the ESL, Cornish and Symonds (?) ticks the first three boxes. Fingers crossed the club has plans for fullback and the wing positions.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote:We've got a crapload of cash and are desperate for a decent hooker, half, second rower, fullback and winger to bolster this squad. Maybe that Hodgson bloke from the ESL, Cornish and Symonds (?) ticks the first three boxes. Fingers crossed the club has plans for fullback and the wing positions.
What good is a crapload of cash is no one is willing to take it off our **** hands? :lol:

Look, i dont dispute there is some merit to what you guys are saying, and we've got to find some silver linings to this fiasco of a season, but come on, be serious. We're not in a position to be talking about dodging bullets by failing to sign the best talent this club has produced in 2 decades, a talented albeit injury prone fullback, a genuine rep quality edge forward, a boarderline rep quality hooker and one of the best wingers in the game.

We're just not. Dodging these kind of bullets isnt really helpful when to successfully dodge them, you've had to jump off a 20 story building.

I mean, please...

In the hypothetical 2015 NRL season, you guys take your money and dodged bullets and ill take Proctor, Ennis, Teddy and Mansour, you tell me how many wins my Raiders team has and how many yours has?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Spending **** of cash on an edge forward who is useless without quality players inside, an injury prone fullback and a bloke who has proven to be way too hot and cold to justify a $1m pricetag is not the sort of building blocks this club needs.

Yes we are desperate to build this team up, but I'm not at all loving the way Ricky Stuart is going about it.

I was quite happy with the Tedesco signing, bearing in mind the obvious question marks, and I was drooling at the prospect of Mansour, but let's be honest, while Stuart continues to pick over the hill players and deny quality young options for some of the joke players going around at the moment, it's all a bit meaningless. I just don't think he has it in him to make anything out of this squad.

I feel sorry for the likes of Cornish, Croker, Vaughan, Fensom, Papa and Edrick Lee. I really don't care who we sign right now to be honest. I think they are all doomed in this stupid system Stuart has created.

So much for a new start. Every week I see the same players stink the joint up the less I care.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Our options are pretty limited given the hurdles we face but if we could manage to entice Hodgson out from England, rescue a reformed Carney, bring back JT and turn Wighton or Edrick into a fullback we might be able to have something to work with in 2015.

If we can't get a class hooker and a quality half we are pretty much a certainty for bottom 4 again next year.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Has anyone mentioned or questioned how Ennis must be feeling with his decision?

Star 5/8 sacked, no major sponsor, coach walks.

No way we are that bad.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The problem is we dodged a bullet by jumping off a cliff.

Dominating the player market by signing four in demand players in one go would've been massive, whether the players all delivered or not.
Last edited by edwahu on July 1, 2014, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ennis is crazy walking into that.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

A Proctor, Papali and Fensom second row with JT coming off the bench is one of the better back rows in the comp IMO. Some people on here are taking crazy pills.
I hate to say it but next years squad looks like the weakest in our history atm :nooo
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The fact that the Sharks are considered more attractive than the Raiders highlights just how bad we are going as a club.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Riaan wrote:A Proctor, Papali and Fensom second row with JT coming off the bench is one of the better back rows in the comp IMO. Some people on here are taking crazy pills.
I hate to say it but next years squad looks like the weakest in our history atm :nooo
We need to dramatically improve our spine. If we fail to find a 5/8th to partner Cornish and an experienced Hooker and/or Fullback it won't matter how many back rowers, outside backs or props we sign we are still going to be rubbish.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Riaan wrote:A Proctor, Papali and Fensom second row with JT coming off the bench is one of the better back rows in the comp IMO. Some people on here are taking crazy pills.
I bet you an avatar you will say that and genuinely mean it for the next 3 seasons. We will be looking back on this season thinking how good this team looks compared to what we will have.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:We've got a crapload of cash and are desperate for a decent hooker, half, second rower, fullback and winger to bolster this squad. Maybe that Hodgson bloke from the ESL, Cornish and Symonds (?) ticks the first three boxes. Fingers crossed the club has plans for fullback and the wing positions.
What good is a crapload of cash is no one is willing to take it off our **** hands? :lol:

Look, i dont dispute there is some merit to what you guys are saying, and we've got to find some silver linings to this fiasco of a season, but come on, be serious. We're not in a position to be talking about dodging bullets by failing to sign the best talent this club has produced in 2 decades, a talented albeit injury prone fullback, a genuine rep quality edge forward, a boarderline rep quality hooker and one of the best wingers in the game.

We're just not. Dodging these kind of bullets isnt really helpful when to successfully dodge them, you've had to jump off a 20 story building.

I mean, please...

In the hypothetical 2015 NRL season, you guys take your money and dodged bullets and ill take Proctor, Ennis, Teddy and Mansour, you tell me how many wins my Raiders team has and how many yours has?
We can sign the cream of the Canberra Cup with that money. Lincoln Withers is available.

He'll come cheaper than those 4 plodders too.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:Ennis is crazy walking into that.
I'm fairly convinced it was his wife that didn't want to uproot and move the family to Canberra with another baby on the way. He spoke so positively about the Raiders and Sticky even after he had signed
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: What good is a crapload of cash is no one is willing to take it off our **** hands? :lol:
:hi. Izzy
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote: What good is a crapload of cash is no one is willing to take it off our **** hands? :lol:
I'll believe it the moment he is running out at Canberra Stadium wearing the lime green #1 and not a single moment before.
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Post by SirMcSquid »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
I'll believe it the moment he is running out at Canberra Stadium wearing the lime green #1 and not a single moment before.
Even if he plays a few away games first?
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Sir McSquid wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Even if he plays a few away games first?
Hearty lol at that.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

He knows Canberra, played a few GWS games here I think and visited my kids school at least three times.
Vanilla Bear
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Vanilla Bear »

Shadow Boxer wrote:He knows Canberra, played a few GWS games here I think and visited my kids school at least three times.
you are delusional. We could offer him our entire salary cap and he still wouldn't come here.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Didn't say he was, I have no idea what he is doing. NR didn't make it up though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

As I said in the other thread. It's a long shot but at least they are having a crack. Better that than sitting back bemoaning their situation. Can leave that bit to the fans.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Absolutely.
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

Northern Raider wrote:As I said in the other thread. It's a long shot but at least they are having a crack. Better that than sitting back bemoaning their situation. Can leave that bit to the fans.
Good to know they're having a crack.

It's the delusional signing rumour I needed. Have pretty much given up on the match threads for 2014.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote:As I said in the other thread. It's a long shot but at least they are having a crack. Better that than sitting back bemoaning their situation. Can leave that bit to the fans.
That's fine. But they might want to work on a Plan B.

Trying and failing to get Izzy isnt an excuse that's going to cut it if we have a repeat of this year
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Junior could try and miss 30 in a row before they would think of sacking him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You boy is running the show now, SB.

Lets see what he can do.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote:

Trying and failing to get Izzy isnt an excuse that's going to cut it if we have a repeat of this year
Plan B is to upgrade Tupou's contract
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Northern Raider wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Plan B is to upgrade Tupou's contract
It's his birthday today so no doubt they are upgrading his contract right now.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Johno wrote:Has anyone mentioned or questioned how Ennis must be feeling with his decision?

Star 5/8 sacked, no major sponsor, coach walks.

No way we are that bad.
You forgot ASADA waiting to drop the hammer on them as well. Probably the only thing slowing them down is Essendon standing up to them and causing them a major headache. ASADA doesn't strike me as an organisation that can or is willing wage a war on two fronts.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

if the club signed Tedesco and he happened to get injured before the june 30 cut off

can the club back out of the contract or are only players are allowed to do that?