Where will the next generation of fans come from?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Where will the next generation of fans come from?

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote:This time next year when we are top 8 and Papalii, Edwards and Fensom are smashing teams in defense while unleashing the awesome speed of Lee, Croker, Wighton, Tedesco and Mansour we will have a new generation of kids wearing Raiders merchandise and sitting on dads knee at Bruce stadium.
I hope so as well....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Wait, why would they be sitting on dobby's dad's knee??
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

dubby wrote:This time next year when we are top 8 and Papalii, Edwards and Fensom are smashing teams in defense while unleashing the awesome speed of Lee, Croker, Wighton, Tedesco and Mansour we will have a new generation of kids wearing Raiders merchandise and sitting on dads knee at Bruce stadium.
Until one of them gets drunk and creates a scandal, while another will probably get done for DUI. Throw in a homesick kid, and another leaving for some other creative reason his manager can think of. One will be out for half the season on an injury while another will leave because the SLG is concerned about the effort he's putting in. One will post a tweet that will throw everyone up in arms, making him the new scapegoat. He'll go because he doesn't like the treatment, leaving us with one of the 8 to look forward to.

Bring on the rollercoaster
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

My 2 year old son is in his third year as a member - and has been to three games now - all losses unfortunately :(

He has a jersey and other gear - he will be a fan for life.

I think there is a role for us fans to pla in increasing the number of raiders fans - but being realisitic, we will never have the same supporter base as some of the hundred year old clubs.

We need to consolidate what we do have, get as many of them to be members of the club (by making the memberhsips attractve and making it hard for them to say no). We also need to make memberhsip numbers less and less about on field results, and more about supporting your club at all times. The AFl are very good at this. We have a lot of work to do, but I think we can definitely improve links between the club and its supporter base - and go from there.

I am encouraged by a lot of the posts on the site about the need for us work with the club - I know I will be doing my best to help the club reach the heights we all dream for it. I hope many on this site will put their hand up to assist.

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

KW wrote:My 2 year old son is in his third year as a member - and has been to three games now - all losses unfortunately :(

I think there is a role for us fans to pla in increasing the number of raiders fans - but being realisitic, we will never have the same supporter base as some of the hundred year old clubs.

We need to consolidate what we do have, get as many of them to be members of the club (by making the memberhsips attractve and making it hard for them to say no). We also need to make memberhsip numbers less and less about on field results, and more about supporting your club at all times. The AFl are very good at this. We have a lot of work to do, but I think we can definitely improve links between the club and its supporter base - and go from there.

I am encouraged by a lot of the posts on the site about the need for us work with the club - I know I will be doing my best to help the club reach the heights we all dream for it. I hope many on this site will put their hand up to assist.

KW
My kids have been decked out in lime green since they were born.

Here's the thing. They are finally getting old enough to follow what's going on, and have the attention span to sit down and watch a game. Now the kicker - watching the Raiders is about their LEAST favourite game. Objectively, I can see why. We normally lose, and often lose big. For the last couple of years, we've also played deeply boring football. Each time they've really got into watching a player go around (Dugan and Ferguson), the guy has left. It's going to happen again with Milford.

My oldest asked for a friggin' MANLY shirt for Christmas. His bruises will fade over time, but the emotional damage it did to me will last forever.

So let me put this to you. If you were 8 years old...why in the name of god would you follow the Canberra Raiders?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good parenting is not buying the Manly jersey!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Perhaps I wasn't clear. He is no longer my son.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

T_R wrote:
KW wrote:My 2 year old son is in his third year as a member - and has been to three games now - all losses unfortunately :(

KW
My kids have been decked out in lime green since they were born.

Here's the thing. They are finally getting old enough to follow what's going on, and have the attention span to sit down and watch a game. Now the kicker - watching the Raiders is about their LEAST favourite game. Objectively, I can see why. We normally lose, and often lose big. For the last couple of years, we've also played deeply boring football. Each time they've really got into watching a player go around (Dugan and Ferguson), the guy has left. It's going to happen again with Milford.

My oldest asked for a friggin' MANLY shirt for Christmas. His bruises will fade over time, but the emotional damage it did to me will last forever.

So let me put this to you. If you were 8 years old...why in the name of god would you follow the Canberra Raiders?
I'm in a similar situation. Decked out my young fella in lime green since he was born and have the photo's to show him when he's much older. But know he (and the rest of his class) follow the bulldogs mostly because of when barba was at the club. If only the raiders (or at least one player) had visited his school in the last 6 years, things may have been different.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:Perhaps I wasn't clear. He is no longer my son.
ImageImageImage
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's Parenting 101 right there
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

Perhaps you allowing them to wear those qld reds jerseys has led them thinking that wearing anything maroon is acceptable - when it clearly is not

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Harsh dig (though legit).

But think about Union v League when it comes to the hearts and minds of kids - I reckon the T_R munchkins have met a QLD Reds player 20, maybe 30 times. They do a 'Rookies to Reds' session each week, for a start, where Reds players and coaching staff come out to schools and, for a very, very token amount of money, run the kids through training sessions and load them up with kit and free tickets. We never see anyone from the NRL.

All else being equal, it's impossible to imagine how the next generation will be NRL fans - ALF and Super Rugby have planted themselves in schools up here big time.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You have them playing union in a union school though TR... just guessing... ;)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You have half a point, GE - certainly rugby is pushed at the smug hellhole of 4WD driving latte sipping yoga pants wearing milf offspring that I'm educating my kids at.

But the point stands. If there was something - anything - like a league version Rookies to Reds available up here, I'd sign the kids up for it. But between R2R and OzKick, the market seems pretty sewn up.

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote: latte sipping yoga pants wearing milf
Pics or STFU
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I certainly wasn't suggesting that it's all bad :lol:

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:I certainly wasn't suggesting that it's all bad :lol:
So you're saying I should start coaching Union? :hmmm
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Let's start up clinics schifty, sounds like my gig.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

You add tedesco, mansour and proctor to our squad and the fans will come.
Edrick The Entertainer
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

CJ42 wrote:Let's start up clinics schifty, sounds like my gig.
Count me in
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:I certainly wasn't suggesting that it's all bad :lol:
We really need to catch up mate it's been way too long :hmmm
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote:You have half a point, GE - certainly rugby is pushed at the smug hellhole of 4WD driving latte sipping yoga pants wearing milf offspring that I'm educating my kids at.

But the point stands. If there was something - anything - like a league version Rookies to Reds available up here, I'd sign the kids up for it. But between R2R and OzKick, the market seems pretty sewn up.
Admit it TR, it's a full point. Union schools shut out rugby league and ban them from playing it. Or try to. How that's consistent with strong education is beyond me, but somehow they're allowed to get away with it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

my wife and I have decided not to have children.

the kids have taken it pretty hard.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

:lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

green94 wrote:
my wife and I have decided not to have children.

the kids have taken it pretty hard.
:lol:

It's been 4 long years but the opportunity to spring that one out has finally come up!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Since ive become a parent, its completely changed my priorities. I used to think i'd do anything to make my boy a raiders fan, but now that im here, it's just not that important

I'll do my best to get him to be a raiders fan, but if not, that's cool, i'm all about personal choice, he can choose to be a Raiders fan if he wants, but if he doesnt, no drama, he is his own person and he pick another team if he wants... and pay his own rent, and buy his own food, and bath himself, and get himself to day care, and change his own nappy.

It's his choice.
Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

I thought I would bump a thread I started after a few drinks 5 1/2 years ago. My despair has been answered in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

PigRickman wrote: May 24, 2014, 9:16 am Since ive become a parent, its completely changed my priorities. I used to think i'd do anything to make my boy a raiders fan, but now that im here, it's just not that important

I'll do my best to get him to be a raiders fan, but if not, that's cool, i'm all about personal choice, he can choose to be a Raiders fan if he wants, but if he doesnt, no drama, he is his own person and he pick another team if he wants... and pay his own rent, and buy his own food, and bath himself, and get himself to day care, and change his own nappy.

It's his choice.
I like the way Pigrickman thinks
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I have a feeling there’ll be a generation of Raiders fans born late June 2020

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 27, 2019, 11:42 pm I have a feeling there’ll be a generation of Raiders fans born late June 2020

If any of you are sober enough for that type of thing, I'll be deeply disappointed in you.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL!!!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

This thread was actually pretty upbeat. 2013 was a horror season just a nightmare. Dugan and Fergo on the roof drinking cruisers after Dugan played like a cat against the panthers (??) and Dugan walking out. Fergo stayed, made origin and got hit with a sexual assault charge, Furner stood by him again and he just walked out. Milford the shining light of the season makes it clear he is out of here asap. The players turn against Furner and flatout capitulate to end the season.

We went from equal 5th in round 19 to losing 7 games in a row.

Stick has done a brilliant job. Hes made some errors but we are a million times better off than when this thread was made in the early days of his tenure here
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I just dropped number 1 son at work, I asked him his thoughts on the big day, he said dont lose hope dad... I asked why hes not wearing his raiders jersey, he said to my suprise league is **** now... oh ok i said, do you mind if i give your jersey to old bruno,he said nah thats ok, bruno and me are ready in our greens ready for a brisk walk after i finish this beer, bruno is a black border collie/lab.
This place is woke.