2014 Rd 10 V Panthers: Game Day and Post Match

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers?

Raiders 13+
13%
Raiders 1-12
27%
Draw
7%
Panthers 1-12
13%
Panthers 13+
40%

Total votes: 15

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2014 Rd 10 V Panthers: Game Day and Post Match

Post by Botman »

FWIW - for those worried about the raiders being the laughing stock of the NRL... we're officially there after that Stuart presser.
Places like LU, Twitter, Facebook and talk back radio are having a whale of a time at our expense.

Not that i bothers me, but i know it's of great concern to others
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Give us some links Nick, would like to read about it.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Raidersrawesome wrote:The Raiders’ season isn’t over yet — but they need to start winning extremely quickly to have any hope. You can’t say you’re going to win eight from eight at the end of the year to make the finals. The club didn’t have many new arrivals this season, they’ve got much the same team as last year and are delivering pretty similar performances. There were chances for both teams to win the game but Penrith did enough and that’s what they’re doing this year. Matt Moylan was brilliant in attack, Soward and Wallace were clever, Segeyaro got a sneaky try and he’s coming back into form. It will be interesting to see what happens in Canberra next week; there would have been some players on notice after the two big losses — this one was closer but you’d think Ricky Stuart has some tough decisions to make about certain players’ futures.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nr ... %7C+NRL%29
This pretty much sums up the last 6 years for me, apart from a couple of freakish runs.

I've mentioned before "10" a lot of teams we met at the back end of the season were hit by injuries to key players , and why I was sceptical going into "11".

It's now 2014 and the only positive I got out of today was Milford, rather depressing for 2015 unless changes are made.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We know Hadley is teeing on on talk back

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/

my twitter feed and facebook is choc full of RL fans yucking it up.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Pigman wrote:FWIW - for those worried about the raiders being the laughing stock of the NRL... we're officially there after that Stuart presser.
Places like LU, Twitter, Facebook and talk back radio are having a whale of a time at our expense.

Not that i bothers me, but i know it's of great concern to others
What bothers me is that a lot of it is true.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

LU quoting Begbies story, I wouldn't pay much attention, they have all of what 20 posters at one time.
WorkChoice
charlie11
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by charlie11 »

greeneyed wrote:Does Brett Kimmorley still work for the Raiders?
He does the video analysis and training of the SLM and MOUNTIES lads.
Greenmachine87
David Shillington
Favourite Player: David Shillington

Post by Greenmachine87 »

My team for next week
1. Milford
2. Rapana
3. Croker
4. Wighton
5. Robinson
6. Mc crone
7. Cornish
8. Shillington
9. Buttris
10. Tilse ( plays better starting)
11. Papallii
12. Edwards
13. Fensom

14. Baptiste
15. Vaughn
16. Tom learoyd lahrs
17. Mataora ( I know I'll get caned for this and he is short on fitness but he carts the ball up so strongly for souths Logan) and may as well try somthing
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

charlie11 wrote:
the green lantern wrote:The person who said the game was lost in the halves was dead on - Wallace controlled the game very well. Campo was improved and McCrone wasn't terrible but they were a step off the pace. McIllwrick was average again, Buttriss was probably our best. Vaughan was good, White was invisible, Tilse was Tilse and Shillington needs a change of scenery. Fensom was a beast (as Jimmy Smith called him - statistical napalm, I wanna change my user name to that - how do I do it????). Wighton showed he is a centre, Croker (solid in attack) and his wing partner (whoever it is each round) seem to get found out in defence consistently. Robinson and Milford tried hard but spent most of the arvo on the back foot. Edwards and Kennedy didn't shine or fail.

Time to bring Cornish in Sticky. Whatever we do next week, that has to be the first move.
McILLwrick was average again,thats a surprise,both hookers at SLM are footballers not pretty boy beefcakes.!!!!!
What game did u watch? MM was good. Passing was crisp, defence was very solid, incl. a try saving cover tackle on ?Moylan? He only had a couple of runs, but when u cant get a quick play the ball, nor a penalty for a hold down, that part of a hookers game goes out the window.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I wonder how many people on here actually know how a compressed defence works and why every team in the NRL uses it.
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Shadow Boxer wrote:I wonder how many people on here actually know how a compressed defence works and why every team in the NRL uses it.
Unfortunately, we're the only team that looks like we have 10 players out there with an overlap on each edge every single time the other team has the ball
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

SB find me a team that plays compressed D inside their own 20?

All do it in the opposition 20.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stuart unleashes on refs after Panthers

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is looking ripe for another whopping NRL fine after launching a scathing five minute spray at referees Gavin Badger and Grant Atkins, describing their performances as "****", "poor", "laughable" and "rot".

"I've been involved in some refereeing clangers, and I'll tell you, that takes the cake. The referees caused those blues. Campo is a competitor and he's a frustrated person at the moment. And then he gets **** refereeing - oops, sorry - when you get poor refereeing decisions that are just incorrect, purely incorrect, that frustrates you. The referees today were not at the standard of first grade referees."

Read more: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 38hn9.html
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Yeh that relates to the adjusters not sliding around around behind the centre rushing in or the centre not shutting down the play early enough.

It's the only way to shut down the second man play with the 2 or 3 block runners.

Parish is a soo defensive coach, I think he understands the current thinking.

Watch the highlights here and look at Penriths compressed defence

http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2014/05/ ... d_10_.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Talk about apologist! :lol:
How **** tries do we need to conceded where wingers score untouched, before you conceded this compressed line is not working?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Return to centre for Wighton pays dividends

It took nine rounds for Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to bite the bullet, but the decision to move Jack Wighton from the halves back to centre paid immediate dividends. From just the second tackle of the game, Wighton made a break and positioned his winger Reece Robinson to score. Later in the first half he turned provider for Robinson again as the Raiders recovered from a Penrith rally. With Josh McCrone back at halfback, the right side of Wighton, Josh Papalii and Robinson looked threatening all game. McCrone and Papalii enjoyed a great partnership before McCrone’s move to hooker this year, and the back rower benefited greatly from having him inside him again. All of Stuart’s ‘'back to the future’' changes worked. Terry Campese looked much more comfortable at five-eighth than halfback, and McCrone gave them valuable direction.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3243xlEt1
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: There is it guys, the road is paved for an unchanged line up

****, do those ***** even watch games? Campese still looked completely busted and McCrone wouldnt be able to provide direction if he had a compass in his **** hands
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Huzzah
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Shadow Boxer wrote:Yeh that relates to the adjusters not sliding around around behind the centre rushing in or the centre not shutting down the play early enough.

It's the only way to shut down the second man play with the 2 or 3 block runners.

How's that working for NSW?

p.s. thought Pay was our defensive coach
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Penrith Panthers five-eighth Jamie Soward breaks duck against Canberra Raiders

It took Jamie Soward seven attempts to finally win in Canberra, but the tenacious Penrith five-eighth is not about personal milestones.

When he took a chip kick from Anthony Milford and ran over the sideline as the full-time hooter sounded, the broad grin on his face came from the Panthers beginning to show some sort of consistency.

Sunday's 26-20 win against a Raiders side sitting near the bottom of the NRL table wasn't pretty. It certainly won't cause the bookmakers to wind in their premiership odds.

But these are the competition points which could be crucial once the race to the finals begins in earnest later in the year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canb ... z3245q5wnj
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I'm going to get caned for this, but just about every game under David Furner I thought we had the defensive structure to win a game if the boys turned up to play. The big problem was whether they turned up to play or not.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

This is the funniest post of the decade! The funniest call of the century so far!
Funny for people who can't understand the basic difference between structure and execution.
Oh no, I understand, I understand exactly what's going on.
So what would that be? My anti Stuart agenda just to prove the anti Furner brigade wrong?

Honestly, I don't give a rats ass about any of that stuff. David Furner had major issues as a coach, which I have repeatedly acknowledged, as does Ricky Stuart, which I have been banging on about well before he coached Cronulla, let alone Parramatta.

I honestly don't care who coaches us. That debate is utterly tedious. I just want whoever coaches us to recognise the blindingly obvious and act upon it.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Green Machine 2011 wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:Yeh that relates to the adjusters not sliding around around behind the centre rushing in or the centre not shutting down the play early enough.

As seiffert said, there's a difference between structure and execution.

You might be right about pay, I don't know but I assumed he was doing the defence for Laurie.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

greeneyed wrote:Stuart unleashes on refs after Panthers

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is looking ripe for another whopping NRL fine after launching a scathing five minute spray at referees Gavin Badger and Grant Atkins, describing their performances as "****", "poor", "laughable" and "rot".

"I've been involved in some refereeing clangers, and I'll tell you, that takes the cake. The referees caused those blues. Campo is a competitor and he's a frustrated person at the moment. And then he gets **** refereeing - oops, sorry - when you get poor refereeing decisions that are just incorrect, purely incorrect, that frustrates you. The referees today were not at the standard of first grade referees."

Read more: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 38hn9.html

he didn't question their integrity just said they were all round no good so he shouldn't get a fine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

can we at least lay a hand on wingers when they score?
just a hand? make them earn the try?

Can we just try that? Would it be worth trying?
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Shadow Boxer wrote:

You might be right about pay, I don't know but I assumed he was doing the defence for Laurie.
Agreed. Our execution of the compressed defence is clearly lacking/non-existent.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Is Jim dymock still with nsw ? He might be doing the defence with parish assistant coach.
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

Does anyone rate Parrish and Pay as Raiders assistant coaches?
Do you think they are the answer for the our team?
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Shadow Boxer wrote:

Agreed. Our execution of the compressed defence is clearly lacking/non-existent.
The compressed defence has its time and place. Unfortunately that time and place is not when you're defending inside your own 30, where you give yourself absolutely zero opportunity to slide across to cover the 3 blokes who are standing outside your winger, queuing up for a pass or kick which only needs to be remotely in the vicinity of the target area for them to score the try.

It is simply beyond me why we defend like that in our own 20-30 metre zone.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Nothing wrong with compressed defence, we're just weak at the moment and doing it wrong.

With the way teams play teams play these days you have no choice but to, there just seems to be a big communication problem of sorts on our edges.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I'm going to get caned for this, but just about every game under David Furner I thought we had the defensive structure to win a game if the boys turned up to play. The big problem was whether they turned up to play or not.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

This is the funniest post of the decade! The funniest call of the century so far!
Funny for people who can't understand the basic difference between structure and execution.
Oh no, I understand, I understand exactly what's going on.
So what would that be? My anti Stuart agenda just to prove the anti Furner brigade wrong?

Honestly, I don't give a rats ass about any of that stuff. David Furner had major issues as a coach, which I have repeatedly acknowledged, as does Ricky Stuart, which I have been banging on about well before he coached Cronulla, let alone Parramatta.

I honestly don't care who coaches us. That debate is utterly tedious. I just want whoever coaches us to recognise the blindingly obvious and act upon it.
Exactly. "Furner apologists" seems to be code for "anyone who has long said that this roster is not all that it's cracked up to be".

You and I both maintained throughout the Furner-era that the players were the problem. Like you, I really couldn't give a rats who coaches the side - I don't know any of these people, so why should I care?

When Stuart was hired I was cautiously optimistic. I wasn't foolish enough to expect a finals spot (as a few of Furner's biggest critics did). All I wanted was a coach who would eliminate all the park-footballers and pretenders that the former coach staked his future on. That relatively simple task seems to be beyond our current coach.
#BoneMcCrone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What a load of rubbish.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

How so GE? Rod makes so much sense nowadays it scares me
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

greeneyed wrote:What a load of rubbish.
You seem to be suggesting that people are only criticising Stuart because they were supporters of Furner.

I'm not going to pretend to be a student of the game and get all up in arms about the compressed defence. I'm simply a keyboard warrior who can tell the difference between first-graders and bums. This coach is selecting and re-signing bums. Until he starts cleaning house, the criticism is justified.
#BoneMcCrone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For a start, there's a range of posters who are still fighting the battle of 2013 and before.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rodman wrote:Exactly. "Furner apologists" seems to be code for "anyone who has long said that this roster is not all that it's cracked up to be".

You and I both maintained throughout the Furner-era that the players were the problem. Like you, I really couldn't give a rats who coaches the side - I don't know any of these people, so why should I care?

When Stuart was hired I was cautiously optimistic. I wasn't foolish enough to expect a finals spot (as a few of Furner's biggest critics did). All I wanted was a coach who would eliminate all the park-footballers and pretenders that the former coach staked his future on. That relatively simple task seems to be beyond our current coach.
That's the thing.

I've never even met David Furner, although I feel a tad sorry for him given the handful of **** he had to manage during his time here. He could be a massive spanner for all I know.

At least in Furner's first year as head coach he made a conscious effort to cut the dead wood and put his faith in our juniors, on the back of Todd Carney having just been cut by the club. Very few people seem to remember or acknowledge that.

I just want Ricky Stuart to use this season as an opportunity for the club to take a step forward. All I see now is us spinning around in circles.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on May 18, 2014, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.