The worst Raider ever!

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The worst Raider ever!

Post by Botman »

I believe he has degenerative arthritis in his knees, which is why it turns out Furner moved him to the back row, as his condition was probably not going to allow him to be a hooker

ridiculous to put him in the Billy T conversation.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Orford with Tupou closing the gap quickly. Anyone who puts McIllwrick here obviously has another agenda or is confusing 'not very good' with 'game-costing, head-scratchingly awful.'
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If I had a dollar for ever similar thread the past 10 seasons...I reckon I'd have about 12 dollars.

Anyway, McIlwrick isn't in the same postcode as some of the others.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on May 11, 2014, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Frawley because of the amount he was paid and he didnt seem to give a Damn!

But tupou has been much worse than I expected , too slow for a first grade winger. His only chance in nrl is to become a bench second rower as he at least has some leg drive.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The answer is definitely Craig Frawley by the way...
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Frawley was plagued by injuries and whilst he was pretty bad in his time here, he had at least ONE highlight.

Tupou has literally done nothing but bomb 2 simple tries and let in about a dozen.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote:McIlwrick shouldn't be in this thread, give him a break.
He won the fitness comp in the 2013 preseason comp and was hailed as the next big thing. Came into first grade and put on shameful display. Why should we give him a break GE?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

DJ89 wrote:Frawley was plagued by injuries and whilst he was pretty bad in his time here, he had at least ONE highlight.

Tupou has literally done nothing but bomb 2 simple tries and let in about a dozen.
Billy T scored a cracking try for us last year. He had a highlight
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Pigman wrote:
DJ89 wrote:Frawley was plagued by injuries and whilst he was pretty bad in his time here, he had at least ONE highlight.

Did he?

My mistake I can't remember that.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

You might be thinking of the 9's Pigman.

Which doesn't really count.
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Barry Lee from Queensland Rugby. He played wing.

Didn't even get to touch the ball and broke his leg in his first tackle. Never heard of again!
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Begbie wrote:
He won the fitness comp in the 2013 preseason comp and was hailed as the next big thing. Came into first grade and put on shameful display. Why should we give him a break GE?
To be fair his games were no worse than 50% of Buttriss's
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

DJ89 wrote:You might be thinking of the 9's Pigman.

Which doesn't really count.
You might be right actually
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bennyinthewest wrote:Albert fulivai
That's harsh. He was better than Howell.

Frawley wins my vote. Actually Matt Rua wasn't a great player either!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rua was a beast.

Howell gets my vote, but billy tupou is closing in fast
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

dubby wrote:Rua was a beast.

Howell gets my vote, but billy tupou is closing in fast
Not in the lime green he wasnt
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

He never put on the lime green!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:He never put on the lime green!
Thats why he wasnt a beast in the lime green
1-eyedgreen
Chris O'Sullivan
Location: Eating a steady diet of Government cheese, living in a van down by the river.

Post by 1-eyedgreen »

Frawley get my vote too.

I reckon Tyran Smith would be right up there though. He was bog average over an extended period and just kept getting picked for FG, used to do my head in!
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
Never said he was a beast in lime green, but he was a beast for Melbourne

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Smith was ok. Comparable to Nigel Plum or Josh Miller

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:
Never said he was a beast in lime green, but he was a beast for Melbourne
Never said you did :P
1-eyedgreen
Chris O'Sullivan
Location: Eating a steady diet of Government cheese, living in a van down by the river.

Post by 1-eyedgreen »

dubby wrote:Smith was ok. Comparable to Nigel Plum or Josh Miller
Disagree Dubby.

Plum was an absolute juggernaut in defence and was just wasted in the 2nd row, has absolutely killed it since slotting in to prop at the Panthers.

Miller was never anything but solid but at least he was just out and out mongrel. I'm still gobsmaked though by the time D.Furner benched Fensom and started Miller at lock? :?

Tyran just always looked out of his depth to me.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

omg how could i have forgotton Matt Orford, he was soooooo bad, he and toupo are brothers, i kinda liked bulgarelli, and im sorry i didnt mean matt smith, it was our winger back in 09 i think james smith, not horrible just offered nothing at all, tyran smith was a gun.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

James Stuart.. The guy who shut down izzy folau on debut.. If you're going to mention him you may as well put Allwood there too.. They are a similar player
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Purtell is up there.

McCrone is not only the worst Raider to play 100+ games, but possibly the worst footballer to play 100+ games. I GUARANTEE that he is the worst to play 100+ games with the same club (and I include the mid-to-late 90's incarnations of Balmain and Western Suburbs in this discussion).
#BoneMcCrone
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

There are a few names I'd rank above Joshua McCrone as our worse ever. Peter benson springs to mind, that bloke was biggest waste of salary cap we ever spent. Scott gale was another.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Manbush wrote:
Begbie wrote:
To be fair his games were no worse than 50% of Buttriss's
Absolute rubbish. Stop being a jerk bushy. I've noticed you have a bad habit of making low blows. Cut it out, not impressed at all. :|
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Man some of you are harsh.... Purtell at least had some good games, as did a lot of the others listed above (Killer? come on!)... Orford is still the worst buy and performances we ever had, he did single handed lose us at least one game and you could call him the reason for another as well... For the money we paid him, for TWO seasons, he was certainly the worst ever.

Tupou however is certainly up there... Also FYI I count at least three tries he has completely bombed that any other first grade winger would have completed! At least we dropped Orford eventually and he didn't get many chances to ruin games, Tupou keeps getting in there somehow...

I'm certainly putting Tupou up for "worst ever player when we had a better option" (in Sami).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

DJ89 wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Did he?

My mistake I can't remember that.
I remember it, was at Canberra Stadium, we won a scrum the ball was shifted to him at centre, he went through nearly untouched and raced 80m
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

DJ89 wrote:Apart from the butchered try and cocaine scandal, wasn't Boogs ok?

Far better than Tupou.
Boogs was pretty good his first 5 or so games. It was the 20 after that where he cemented his legacy.

Purtell is nowhere near this convo. A plodder yes - but a great pair of hands and was solid enough. He even won us a couple of games - thinking of the one where he scored three tries vs the Dragons. 15 tries in 2008 too - nothing to sneeze at.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If you count trials then Peter Penaia would be up there. Though he did win that arm wrestling competition on the footy show.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:If you count trials then Peter Penaia would be up there. Though he did win that arm wrestling competition on the footy show.
I'd forgotten about him :lol:

PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Josh McCrone and Troy Thompson
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:Josh McCrone and Troy Thompson
Harsh on Thommo, he was a good clubman and a very solid defensive player. I'd have him in the side ahead of Tilse and White at the moment.