The worst Raider ever!

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

pibble89
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Chikka and sully

Re: The worst Raider ever!

Post by pibble89 »

Its personal opinion in the lime green he played 16 games in 3 seasons.... and really did sweet **** all besides that try in the 89 GF
Zeb
Peter Jackson

Post by Zeb »

pibble89 wrote:Its personal opinion in the lime green he played 16 games in 3 seasons.... and really did sweet **** all besides that try in the 89 GF
So the guy struggles to get in to one of the greatest Raiders packs in history, comes on as a sub in the 89 Grand Final and scores a classic try and goes on to represent Queensland.
And you rate his as one of the three "Worst Raiders Ever" to play the game.
That'll do me
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

pibble89 wrote:Its personal opinion in the lime green he played 16 games in 3 seasons.... and really did sweet **** all besides that try in the 89 GF
Lay off the drugs mate
pibble89
David Shillington

Post by pibble89 »

I understand he played rep footy... but i have about 10 of the 16 games he played for the raiders and he was nothing special.... If you want to defend him tell me what was so good about his time in a green jersey.... After scoring the 89 try he thought he was a star and demanded a higher salary hence the move to Western suburbs..... He was a 2nd rate forward who would be forgotten these days if it wasn't for that try...
WolfSt@r
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by WolfSt@r »

IMO - Nathan Barnes, Trevor Schoedel and Greeg Wolfgramm are the standouts.
Zeb
Peter Jackson

Post by Zeb »

pibble89 wrote:I understand he played rep footy... but i have about 10 of the 16 games he played for the raiders and he was nothing special.... If you want to defend him tell me what was so good about his time in a green jersey.... After scoring the 89 try he thought he was a star and demanded a higher salary hence the move to Western suburbs..... He was a 2nd rate forward who would be forgotten these days if it wasn't for that try...
A "2nd rate forward".
As GD said, lay off the drugs mate
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nathan Barnes only played one game didn't he?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
pibble89
David Shillington

Post by pibble89 »

Zeb wrote:
pibble89 wrote:I understand he played rep footy... but i have about 10 of the 16 games he played for the raiders and he was nothing special.... If you want to defend him tell me what was so good about his time in a green jersey.... After scoring the 89 try he thought he was a star and demanded a higher salary hence the move to Western suburbs..... He was a 2nd rate forward who would be forgotten these days if it wasn't for that try...
My opinion differs from your own so that makes me a drug user...... That's a tad harsh boys. I consider his try in the 89 decider to be a good one.... It all went to his head and that's why he made my list.... I think attitude is a big part of what makes a player great as has been expressed by others in this forum. I will run my answer by you both next time mate to make sure I say nothing you disagree with alright.....
daz85
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by daz85 »

steve irwin...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Had beers with frawleys best mate once, incredible story
Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rua, Dunemann and Bickerstaff my top 3
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:Had beers with frawleys best mate once, incredible story
Do tell.....
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

pibble89 wrote:
Zeb wrote:
My opinion differs from your own so that makes me a drug user...... That's a tad harsh boys. I consider his try in the 89 decider to be a good one.... It all went to his head and that's why he made my list.... I think attitude is a big part of what makes a player great as has been expressed by others in this forum. I will run my answer by you both next time mate to make sure I say nothing you disagree with alright.....
Most just think there have been worse than jackson

pibble89
David Shillington

Post by pibble89 »

dubby wrote:
pibble89 wrote:
Zeb wrote:
Most just think there have been worse than jackson
I can totally understand mate and have no doubt that other posters will have different opinions for all sorts of reasons......
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

Cannot believe any Raiders fan could put Steve Jackson on this list. That try was legendary.
And Troy Thompson? That dude bled green. A few more like him (at least in terms of attitude) in the current squad and we wouldn't be the joke we are now.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bickerstaff is certainly in the conversation. The Matt Orford of our forward pack.

Good player on his day, but his knees were totally shot by the time he got here. Terrible recruitment.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Andrew Lomu?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lomu played some good footy for us I thought Kiwi.
Did Bickerstaff get on the park for us? That was why I named my 3, all bought in as current 1st graders not to play for us (Dunemann about 20mins off the bench maybe)
Edrick The Entertainer
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

bonehead wrote:Lomu played some good footy for us I thought Kiwi.
Did Bickerstaff get on the park for us? That was why I named my 3, all bought in as current 1st graders not to play for us (Dunemann about 20mins off the bench maybe)
Yea I can't really remember to be honest, all I remember is he was fairly high profile after playing for NZ and winning a premiership a couple of years before joining us, there seemed to be a lot of hype around him probably due to his surname and his appearance rather than performance, he then only played 15 games over two seasons according to Wikipedia
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

kiwi raider wrote:
Yea I can't really remember to be honest, all I remember is he was fairly high profile after playing for NZ and winning a premiership a couple of years before joining us, there seemed to be a lot of hype around him probably due to his surname and his appearance rather than performance, he then only played 15 games over two seasons according to Wikipedia
Bickerstaff played two games and one was off the bench

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/playe ... mmary.html
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-GD- wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:
Bickerstaff played two games and one was off the bench

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/playe ... mmary.html
Yea sorry GD I was talking about Lomu,
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Lomu was ordinary. Bickers was a quality player at the dragons but came to us busted up and injured.

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

dubby wrote:Nathan Barnes only played one game didn't he?
Thats correct, I went to High School with Nathan, he was good for 4 or 5 tries against us in primary school.
WorkChoice
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

I think The Howeller is the worst three-quarter ever to play for us who was given a long term stint in the top grade.

My favourite Howeller moment relates to Matt Elliott. Elliott was being interviewed after we had a few selected in Country Origin and said that we were unlucky not to get another one in. Then he mentioned Howeller. ****!

Elliott was responsible for a lot of guys who had no business playing first grade with us being given extended opportunities.

The P-Train wasn't far behind The Howeller. At least the Howeller could set up an outside support when playing in the centres. The P-Train couldn't even do that. Neither could pull through a tackle to make a bust which is an essential criterion for any decent centre. Both were turnstiles in defence. David Furner's high water mark as a coach was derailing the P-Train - something neither of his two predecessors (including the grossly overrated PE teacher) had either the judgement or good sense to do.

A name that doesn't belong is Albert Fulivai. He was next cab off the rank for a spot in a premiership winning three-quarter line that featured a prime Kenny Nagas, Big Mal, Big Ruben and Big Noa. Fulivai always performed competently when called upon to fill in for any one of the aforementioned.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

Craig Frawley for me,took the money,offered nothing.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

That's not entirely true. He offered a valuable source of taxation to the Commonwealth.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sleek the Elite wrote:I think The Howeller is the worst three-quarter ever to play for us who was given a long term stint in the top grade.

My favourite Howeller moment relates to Matt Elliott. Elliott was being interviewed after we had a few selected in Country Origin and said that we were unlucky not to get another one in. Then he mentioned Howeller. ****!

Elliott was responsible for a lot of guys who had no business playing first grade with us being given extended opportunities.

The P-Train wasn't far behind The Howeller. At least the Howeller could set up an outside support when playing in the centres. The P-Train couldn't even do that. Neither could pull through a tackle to make a bust which is an essential criterion for any decent centre. Both were turnstiles in defence. David Furner's high water mark as a coach was derailing the P-Train - something neither of his two predecessors (including the grossly overrated PE teacher) had either the judgement or good sense to do.

A name that doesn't belong is Albert Fulivai. He was next cab off the rank for a spot in a premiership winning three-quarter line that featured a prime Kenny Nagas, Big Mal, Big Ruben and Big Noa. Fulivai always performed competently when called upon to fill in for any one of the aforementioned.
Yeah, I honestly can't see how Albert Fulivai's name is getting thrown around these parts either. :hmmm
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Who was the P-Train?

*edit* oh, the Turtle. I don't think he was that bad as a winger, he use to regularly make 100mtrs + a game.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

tragic wrote:I have a short memory, but Matt Gafa was one of the biggest disappointments for me. Hearing of him killing premier league, and then stepping up to nuffie was a shock.

For mine it's Orford then daylight second. Could fill a spreadsheet with a long list of other names that were bog average ploders.
Could you post that spreadsheet here?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

My professional life is poisoned by others misusing Microsoft Excel. For the love of God, please use a database!
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

David milne
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hbomb wrote:David milne
If you seriously think that... Well you have no idea
mattystorm1987
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: tohu harris, sisa waqa

Post by mattystorm1987 »

HAS to be MARK HERBERT
Broncos 2014 wooden spooners
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

mattystorm1987 wrote:HAS to be MARK HERBERT
Marc?
mattystorm1987
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: tohu harris, sisa waqa

Post by mattystorm1987 »

reptar wrote:
mattystorm1987 wrote:HAS to be MARK HERBERT
Marc?
Yep that's him
Broncos 2014 wooden spooners