Eels mode

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Eels mode

Post by VictorTheViking »

I saw this mentioned in a few posts, and thought it deserved its own topic.

Who do you think would be on the end of the broom if ricky put it through our roster?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Eels Mode

Post by Botman »

Current contracted players

Kurt Baptiste
Glen Buttriss
Terry Campese
Jake Foster
Tom Learoyd Lahrs
Sam Mataora
Matt McIlwrick
Mark Nicholls
Jordan Rapana
Reece Robinson
Sami Sauiluma
Lagi Setu
David Shillington
Bill Tupou
Brett White
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

I cant for the life of me figure out why we have 4 **** hookers on the books.

BTW Nicko I tend to agree with you. Your list if riddled with players whose games are full of one or more of the following; mediocrity, injuries or inconsistency.
Last edited by DJ89 on April 15, 2014, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baz
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by baz »

I think this all a bit premature. We have been in every game we've played with a chance to win up until last weekend when we were bloody flat all round. It was a terrible performance but I think everyone is overeacting.

to answer your question though:
Topou
rr
tilse
mccrone

other than that you could conceivably get a white and campo retirement at years end (not sold on this being the best course of action yet) and have a lot of space to start fresh.

having said that id like to see some promising young names on the market before going crazy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It is the NRL equivalent of throwing as many darts as we can, hoping to hit a bulls eye... I dont disagree with that policy at the stage that Sticky got here. Buttriss has been much improved but it's still a position we would benefit tremendously with an upgrade.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

baz wrote: to answer your question though:
Topou
rr
tilse
mccrone
Two of those guys are being re-signed by Ricky Stuart right now. No way they are on his potential over head projector list, otherwise we wouldnt be re-signing them
baz
Terry Campese

Post by baz »

Pigman wrote:
baz wrote: to answer your question though:
Topou
rr
tilse
mccrone
Two of those guys are being re-signed by Ricky Stuart right now. No way they are on his potential over head projector list, otherwise we wouldnt be re-signing them
You are 100% correct. Misread it as who we would have on the projector not so much sticky. I'd have those guys.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Everyone with any FG experience...

Will get rid of all the players that annoy us...

....and the players we do like would have better careers and better chances of playing rep footy if they're playing for another club.

edit: misread the question too... Not sure who sticky would punt.... especially after he's kept Tupou for this weekend...
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Eels mode

Post by greeneyed »

Tilse is a good re-signing, as I don't expect he's on a huge contract. McCrone, I've come to the conclusion we should wait to the end of the year, to see if he can turn it around. At present, it doesn't look like it.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Even on this sorry team Tilse is the 6th best prop. IMO, he would have to be on close to the minimum wage to be a good re-signing; I suspect that he's on a lot more than that. Moreover, he's been here long enough EDIT. We should be moving him for that reason alone.

I'd be Eelsing everyone not named Wighton, Croker, Fensom, Lee, Vaughan, Edwards, Kennedy, Boyd, Allwood (I'm assuming Milford voluntarily leaves) and basically start again. Buttriss has been better than usual but he'd still be a backup on most teams - if we had a genuine topline hooker I'd keep him around as a backup.

Christ...we are in trouble.
#BoneMcCrone
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yep, we're in trouble.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If we 'fold' as a club do all contract become null and void?

Canberra Raiders Newco FTW..
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Pigman your list sums up who should be shafted or at least put on notice to have a crack.
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

You would eel Papalii?
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
baz
Terry Campese

Post by baz »

Yea id be keeping our lone current Australian rep, but that's just me. I also still think cornish has a massive future.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Since Ricky is using Tupou yet again, made re-signing Tilse and mcCrone priorities **** if I know who he'd Eel :doubt:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

RaiderSpark wrote:You would eel Papalii?
I knew I'd overlooked someone.

Papali is obviously a keeper.
#BoneMcCrone
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Foster
Setu
Tupou
Rapana (would like to see him I'm first grade before I'm firm on that)
Learoyd lahrs (as much as I love him he's fallen way down the pecking order)
White (retirement?)
Robinson (not really willing to sacrifice b.lee, ahearn or heffernan for him)

On the bubble:
Mcilwrick
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

VictorTheViking wrote:Foster
Setu
Tupou
White (retirement?)

On the bubble:
Mcilwrick
Getting rid of a winger, a few props, and a bunch of fringe first-graders isn't going to change much.

We need an overhaul.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Pigman wrote:Current contracted players

Kurt Baptiste
Glen Buttriss
Terry Campese
Jake Foster
Tom Learoyd Lahrs
Sam Mataora
Matt McIlwrick
Mark Nicholls
Jordan Rapana
Reece Robinson
Sami Sauiluma
Lagi Setu
David Shillington
Bill Tupou
Brett White
If I was GM of another club, I'd be looking at maybe Nicholls and Shillington. That'd be about it though. Rapana and Buttriss could play NSW Cup for me, maybe.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Rodman wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:Foster
Setu
Tupou
White (retirement?)

On the bubble:
Mcilwrick
Getting rid of a winger, a few props, and a bunch of fringe first-graders isn't going to change much.

We need an overhaul.
It frees up cap space, to sign better players which in turn creates competition for spots (more than we have now) which makes the team better
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Kurt Baptiste
Glen Buttriss
Terry Campese
Jake Foster
Tom Learoyd Lahrs
Sam Mataora
Matt McIlwrick
Mark Nicholls
Jordan Rapana
Reece Robinson
Sami Sauiluma
Lagi Setu
David Shillington
Bill Tupou
Brett White
If we are being serious, that's a pretty fair list. A couple like Buttriss and Robbo you might keep on as squad fillers at the right price, but the vast majority wouldn't be missed or a well over paid for what they produce.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I have a lot of issues with Reece Robinson but if you can keep him around on a mediocre contract he's a decent player to have. Covers fullback and can play first grade at wing as well if need be. I wouldn't want to be paying him what other clubs pay their starting wingers though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Kurt Baptiste
Glen Buttriss
Terry Campese
Jake Foster
Tom Learoyd Lahrs
Sam Mataora
Matt McIlwrick
Mark Nicholls
Jordan Rapana
Reece Robinson
Sami Sauiluma
Lagi Setu
David Shillington
Bill Tupou
Brett White
If we are being serious, that's a pretty fair list. A couple like Buttriss and Robbo you might keep on as squad fillers at the right price, but the vast majority wouldn't be missed or a well over paid for what they produce.
It'd be a side that did well in the Qld or NSW Cup. Maybe not winners...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The fact Buttriss is arguably our most consistent spine player this season and Robbo is our first winger picked now that Lee is out speaks absolute volumes about how our team is going.

If it wasn't for the likes of Fensom, Vaughan and Edwards in the forwards and Croker and Milford in the backs we'd be getting pumped most weeks.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You can go all Parra, but problem is that you need to replace them with someone, preferably someone better. It's easy enough to say get rid of that player, but it doesn't pan out so well when we're pulling players out of Canberra Raiders Cup to run on for first grade.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Yes , it's easier said than done .
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Unless someone sets fire to juniors office and makes him go and sign some quality players it's all kind of pointless.

I can't believe we didn't sign a single first grader last off season.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

This thread makes me laugh.

So we're sacking half the roster after one loss?? We beat Newcastle last weekend (a game we were up to our eyeballs at halftime) and this thread doesn't exist!

The Drama House ~ Home of the most hysterical collection of rugby league fans known to mankind.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

One loss, we are two from six and about to play the storm and manly.

I like what stuart has done so far but it needs to be accompanied by a clean out of the chronic underachievers we have watched for 4-5 years.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

The Nickman wrote:This thread makes me laugh.

So we're sacking half the roster after one loss?? We beat Newcastle last weekend (a game we were up to our eyeballs at halftime) and this thread doesn't exist!

The Drama House ~ Home of the most hysterical collection of rugby league fans known to mankind.
No we aren't..., read the original post, I was asking people who they thought would be cut if Stuart put a broom through the place....
Last edited by dubby on April 16, 2014, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well I think the way to go would be to develop and build around our future stars, players like Croker, Wighton, Papalii, Fensom, Vaughan, Boyd, Cornish, Ahearn, Lee, Lee, Hawkins, Mago, the Pangais etc, while trying to reverse the mess and mass exodus of players caused by David Furner's shamble of a reign rather than firing most of the squad, but each to their own.

If by this stage of the year you guys had expected miracles from Stuart that's your thing I guess. The Knights game was disappointing, but I'm expecting a lot more disappointing games to come this season. Just like I'm expecting a few more Souths-like performances.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote:Well I think the way to go would be to develop and build around our future stars, players like Croker, Wighton, Papalii, Fensom, Vaughan, Boyd, Cornish, Ahearn, Lee, Lee, Hawkins, Mago, the Pangais etc, while trying to reverse the mess and mass exodus of players caused by David Furner's shamble of a reign rather than firing most of the squad, but each to their own.

If by this stage of the year you guys had expected miracles from Stuart that's your thing I guess. The Knights game was disappointing, but I'm expecting a lot more disappointing games to come this season. Just like I'm expecting a few more Souths-like performances.
so how about Tupuos selection this week. has Ricky suffered a head knock ?
yes we are going to have disappointing losses and some unexpected wins but Jesus H Christ what's doin with Tupou ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeah, I completely disagree with the Tupou selection too

Better sack half the squad!!
CanberraJonno
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by CanberraJonno »

"What's doing with Tupou?" Sounds like a hilarious sitcom based around the story of one footballer who can't seem to catch a break, or a cold...
Last edited by CanberraJonno on April 16, 2014, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.