Sympathy for the Furners

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Sympathy for the Furners

Post by green_wizzard »

I feel very sorry for Don Jr and David, who, once again - have to wade through the mess, as a result of player antics. The late Les McIntyre would be so ashamed. David Furner is a football coach - his brother an executive. Yet one of their duties it seems is child minding.

Carney, Monaghan, Dugan, Ferguson - jeez, my symathies lie with the Furner's. They, and this fine club, deserve better.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Sympathy for the Furner's

Post by DJ89 »

They have been put through some **** by idiots haven't they.
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

After being a season ticket holder for about 14 years this has just about broken my back.

Another season wrecked,another talented player moved on.

Groundhog **** day every year. What else can we do ? :thumbsdown
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

*Furners
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

I think players probably got up to shenanigans back in the day it just was easy to sweep under the carpet.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I'm not so sure, while we pretend to be hardline we in fact (in our actions) enable this behaviour.

We swept 30+ carney incidents under the table, we held an inch thick dossier on Dugan, We didn't sack Fergo or JT, we let Irwin take the wrap for Carney, we papered over the rocks from the apartment incident and the other Foreshore behaviour which was far worse.

There are many, many more players holding dossiers in the Raiders archive.

The thing about a no d#ckheads policy is it needs to be zero tolerance and ruthlessly enforced.

We haven't actually sacked anyone except Irwin (enough said) and Goodwin who punched a stranger in the face.

Monas left town on his own in disgrace, Carney said he wouldn't stop drinking and Dugan simply stuck up his finger and left.

If anything DF and co have been way to soft on these idiots and it's all fun and games until someone crosses the line of no return or grabs a strangers by the genitals.
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

All of the hard work which the Furner's, the staff, the assistant's - everyone involved at HQ - goes ignored - taking a backseat in the press to booze-fuelled antics of men with tiny-brains.

I never thought I would say it, but I am considering selling off my extensive collection of memorabilia. My memories of 87-95 - the glory days - are now being tarnished by young punks, who nowadays resemble Compton gang members that the pride of Canberra. How dare you Blake Ferguson tarnish something I - and many others - hold so dearly: the lime green jumper.....

I hope that this is the final time Don Jr, Ben Pollock and co have to front the media pack - though I severely doubt it.
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

Pete Cash wrote:I think players probably got up to shenanigans back in the day it just was easy to sweep under the carpet.
It was a different era - players had a few beers after the games etc - again, it is a different world.
The only way to fix this :

BAN ALL PLAYERS FROM SOCIAL MEDIA
NO ALCOHOL DURING THE SEASON

This is how you start to fix our club, which has a a serious image crisis -
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Noe you're getting the idea, for blokes who's salaries are now pushing $1m a year giving up alcohol for 6 months seem a fair request.

That said i'm not convinced this is all alcohol unless Fergo is two pot screamer or massively pre loaded.
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Noe you're getting the idea, for blokes who's salaries are now pushing $1m a year giving up alcohol for 6 months seem a fair request.

That said i'm not convinced this is all alcohol unless Fergo is two pot screamer or massively pre loaded.
Absolutely - why is it so difficult to stay off the booze for 6 months ?
Back in 89 - I would see the first grade team road running from the Airport to Qbn ? Can you believe that ?!
We've gone soft....

When do guys like Dugan, Carney, Ferguson - wake up ? Maybe the possibilty of prison time would do it ?!

Packet of panadol heading Don and Dave's way today
sms316
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Austin 3:16

Post by sms316 »

Shadow Boxer wrote:I'm not so sure, while we pretend to be hardline we in fact (in our actions) enable this behaviour.

We swept 30+ carney incidents under the table, we held an inch thick dossier on Dugan, We didn't sack Fergo or JT, we let Irwin take the wrap for Carney, we papered over the rocks from the apartment incident and the other Foreshore behaviour which was far worse.

The thing about a no d#ckheads policy is it needs to be zero tolerance and ruthlessly enforced.

We haven't actually sacked anyone except Irwin (enough said) and Goodwin who punched a stranger in the face.

Monas left town on his own in disgrace, Carney said he wouldn't stop drinking and Dugan simply stuck up his finger and left.

If anything DF and co have been way to soft on these idiots and it's all fun and games until someone crosses the line of no return or grabs a strangers by the genitals.
Well said. Culture starts at the top. I can't see the cycle ending until the Furners resign.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Yep, feel sorry for them.
DF looked like we had finally turned to corner towards premiership material... well I think we can stick a cork in those thoughts for another year.
Fans lose again!
ak47
Alan Tongue

Post by ak47 »

carney
moneghan
dugan
ferg

We sure have a nack a making trash out of treasure. protectionism doesnt work - transparancy is paramount.

Not sure who to blame. But we are the victims. Sympathy for TheGH.Com
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

Hopefully - someone at HQ is deleting all FB, Twitter and Instagram accounts of players as we speak......
if this was done some time back - as I suggested - Dugan would still be in the ranks.
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

Well said. Culture starts at the top. I can't see the cycle ending until the Furners resign.
I see your point - but both Furners have done nithing wrong here - if anything - giving offending players opportunities to redeem themselves is what our society is like in 2013 -
sms316
Gary Coyne

Post by sms316 »

green_wizzard wrote:I see your point - but both Furners have done nithing wrong here - if anything - giving offending players opportunities to redeem themselves is what our society is like in 2013 -
Fair enough. I'm saying that it has happened too many times now.

What's that old saying about the definition of stupidity and doing the same thing over and over?
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Shadow Boxer wrote:I'm not so sure, while we pretend to be hardline we in fact (in our actions) enable this behaviour.

sms316 wrote:Well said. Culture starts at the top. I can't see the cycle ending until the Furners resign.

Culture starts at the top huh?
Then please direct your anger at the NRL hierarchy who are responsible for the current climate in which clubs feel it is completely pointless to sack starts and take a "hard line, no ****" policy, because the NRL have placed the clubs in impossible positions. They cant have that policy because the NRL is completely limp wristed at backing such a stance and ultimately it only hurts your club, its fans, its sponsors etc to see you running at the bottom of the table yearly because you've sacked superstars, only to see them lead competitors to semi final football

You need to redirect your anger away from the clubs which are simply operating within the environment the NRL has created, and toward the people responsible.
ak47
Alan Tongue

Post by ak47 »

i believe that is insanity - doing the same thing over n over and expecting different results
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Don probably gets paid a nice wage but i would hate to have his job.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

@Nick,

I agree totally, what we really need is the integrity commision to start standing down players outside of the club being involved. just use the catchall of bringing ther game into disrepute, have a tribuanalk and start suspending people without pay.

I think that might be starting to happen.
ak47
Alan Tongue

Post by ak47 »

100%. The NRL has let it festate this far. The continous slap on the wrists and contract walk outs, letting players renege. The NRL has no control over the game at the moment.
sms316
Gary Coyne

Post by sms316 »

Nick wrote: Culture starts at the top huh?
Then please direct your anger at the NRL hierarchy who are responsible for the current climate in which clubs feel it is completely pointless to sack starts and take a "hard line, no ****" policy, because the NRL have placed the clubs in impossible positions. They cant have that policy because the NRL is completely limp wristed at backing such a stance and ultimately it only hurts your club, its fans, its sponsors etc to see you running at the bottom of the table yearly because you've sacked superstars, only to see them lead competitors to semi final football

You need to redirect your anger away from the clubs which are simply operating within the environment the NRL has created, and toward the people responsible.
And on the flip side, who is going to sign with the Raiders when they see it becoming a free for all? The club has enough trouble signing big names when they are on the open market as it is.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I would suggest having an open slather policy has actually helped the Sharks recruitment.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Just hire out a function room filled with booze and hookers once a month to get it out of their system.
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

The irony is - guys like Fergo are as dumb as nails - they are blessed with footballing skills so have no touch with reality - "in the old days, footballers held down day jobs" yadda yadda yadda - it's a tired argument, but true. He deserves everything handed to him. Even if he was baited - walk away goose.
I would like to hear what senior player management have to say about all this -
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

Ferguson said this after Canberra's win over the Broncos just two weeks ago: ''I love this club, they've done everything for me and I have to repay the faith to the fans and all the players.''

Nice one - d.head
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Noe you're getting the idea, for blokes who's salaries are now pushing $1m a year giving up alcohol for 6 months seem a fair request.

You'll always get some guys but into a policy like that - they are the guys that would struggle get a chance elsewhere and/or actually have some self control.

Then you'll get the other guys who can command big bucks across the league that would just move to a club where they have more freedom.

It makes me laugh when people say things such as why can't Fergo be more like Croker. Well the difference is that if Croker was the train wreck that Fergo is he'd be out of the NRL within a season or two - so he is much smarter about the way he behaves. Fergo will be back on a similar pay packet wherever he winds up after this.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: You'll always get some guys but into a policy like that - they are the guys that would struggle get a chance elsewhere and/or actually have some self control.

Then you'll get the other guys who can command big bucks across the league that would just move to a club where they have more freedom.

It makes me laugh when people say things such as why can't Fergo be more like Croker. Well the difference is that if Croker was the train wreck that Fergo is he'd be out of the NRL within a season or two - so he is much smarter about the way he behaves. Fergo will be back on a similar pay packet wherever he winds up after this.
Exactly.
Which is why we are better off having him on our books... since Inglis has moved to fullback and Hodges/Lyon are coming toward the end of their careers, Fergo is primed to become the games leading cente... We can not afford to sack him, not now.
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

"Fergo will be back on a similar pay packet wherever he winds up after this"
I wouldn't be so sure - in days gone past - his boozy night would've given him 'legend' status - but most of the RL community are tiring of this BS...but, - to contradict myself, what's the bet he will become a dragon with his inked-up party pal ? It comes down to $$$$$ - some clubs tend to wash over the indescretions, if it means the possibility of a premiership. Tear up his NRL contract - and get Fergieferg down to the Salvos or Uniting Church to help feed the homeless. You had it friend and boy did you blow it....

APPRECIATE THE LIME GREEN JUMPER !
green_wizzard
Terry Campese

Post by green_wizzard »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: Which is why we are better off having him on our books... since Inglis has moved to fullback and Hodges/Lyon are coming toward the end of their careers, Fergo is primed to become the games leading cente... We can not afford to sack him, not now.
Word is - he will be sacked in the coming hours
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

I cannot see the club acting out until after the his day in court.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

What does Dave Furner have to do with Carney's 30+ indiscretions?

People are angry and are pointing the finger at the wrong people. Nick is right - there is absolutely no incentive for the club to take a hardline approach to misbehaviour. In fact, one could easily argue that we take a harder line than most clubs.

In 12 months we are going to see Carney, Dugan and Fergo all playing for other clubs. It's a disgrace.

We should fine the hell out of him but not sack him. If he's forced to sit out the season then so be it. He comes back with us or not at all.
#BoneMcCrone
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Albi »

Those blaming management and 'the culture' are being disingenuous IMO. Unlike Sydney/Brisbane clubs who prefer to cover up/minimise we've taken a zero tolerance approach to this type of behaviour and acted decisively.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

green_wizzard wrote: Word is - he will be sacked in the coming hours
Raiders have already ruled out further action until the legal process has played itself out, haven't they?
I doubt this "word" is remotely close to the mark

that might be the end result but i doubt the club have made a decision at this stage
ak47
Alan Tongue

Post by ak47 »

he has had his chance - he has to go.

people seem to forget he has lied in every occasion he thanks us for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th chance

he just a grub and a liar - the type of human being you dont want around

GORNE! :arrow: